2019-20 Phoenix Suns

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: 2019-20 Phoenix Suns

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Did they expand the playoffs or do they still need to be in the top 8 and if so are they going 82 games to determine seeding?
If 9th place is within 4 games of 8th then there is a play in for the 8th spot
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Did they expand the playoffs or do they still need to be in the top 8 and if so are they going 82 games to determine seeding?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jaren Jackson Jr tore his meniscus, so Memphis is cooked.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Things are lining up for the Suns.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Greg for the explanation. Suns look good.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Suns look like a different team in the bubble. Can they make the playoffs?
If Portland loses tonight the Suns will only be 1 game out of 9th spot.
Fuck! I hate rooting for the Rockets.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Clippers game was first game I watched all season and only watched because it was my Uncle’s birthday and we were all in a Google Meeting celebrating with basketball. He was the Lawyer uncle who had a skybox in the Barkley years for client outreach where a few games a year he used for family.

That was a fun game.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Suns are fun again
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That run at the end of the 3rd and begginning of the 4th with Booker and Ayton on the bench was outstanding.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Blazers and Memphis don't have an easy finish but the Suns seed to win at least 3 of these. Heat, Thunder, 76ers, Mavs
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:Blazers and Memphis don't have an easy finish but the Suns seed to win at least 3 of these. Heat, Thunder, 76ers, Mavs
Even if the Suns win out I don't think they get in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What the fuck has gotten into the Suns?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Portland lost when their guy bricked two FT’s that could have won it for them. Half Game behind them but they are still one game behind San Antonio in the loss column. Would be fun to see them in that 8-9 play in game
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:What the fuck has gotten into the Suns?
They lost like 10 close games this year, several at the buzzer or in final minute. They have barely had any semblance of health or consistent rotation with Ayton suspension/injury, and Rubio off and on nagging injuries, Oubre, Cam, and Baynes.

I always thought this was a 34-40 win team.

They are definitely looking like the upside that swept the Bucks last year and won 3/4 from them these past two years and who plays up when challenged.

Simmons-less Sixers on Tuesday, then Thunder, then Mavs to finish.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMJ,
Why did they trade TJ Warren for a bag of balls? He's tearing it up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:JMJ,
Why did they trade TJ Warren for a bag of balls? He's tearing it up.
TJ Warren quit on the Suns.

He was cleared by the team Doctors from his ankle injury in January. Warren cites mental uncertainty about returning to play and needed time to clear hurdles. Days turned into weeks turned into months. He was a soft, oft-injured player who mentally checked out on a team who developed him, started him, payed him well. He didn’t pass, didn’t rebound, and was a net-negative defender, though he did play the lanes decently to generate steals.

More importantly, he wasn’t a PG. Suns didn’t just trade Warren for nothing. They traded Jackson for nothing, including Melton to acquire Carter as well.

Those two moves generated 23 million in CAP, which was spent on Rubio & Baynes.

As for why Warren was traded with an early 2nd Rounder for Cash?

Minimum of six teams with space were contacted for Warren trades. All six declined. Suns added the 2nd to entice Pacers. They needed a scorer, Suns needed a PG. according to Malcom Brogdon, Suns went hard after him. It was long believed Rubio to Pacers was a given. When Brogdon signed with the Pacers the Suns quickly shifted to Rubio.

Here’s the funny thing. Until the Bubble, Warren’s peak Pacers stats weren’t better than his peak stats with Phoenix. Not in points. Not in rebounds. Not in 3FG%.

The Bubble has catapulted Warren to the top of the discussion heap, so the trade looks bad. But teams trade capable players for CAP space all the time. Often times they include 1sts (like the Warriors trading Iguodala and a 1st to Memphis for space).

Suns needed a PG with this roster that included Oubre (plays Defense), Mikal (plays Defense), Cam (plays Defense). They didn’t need a black hole who was injured 50% of his games and willing to quit on his team when they needed him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thanks for the explanation JMJ. I've been out of the loop a bit.
-JB
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:Thanks for the explanation JMJ. I've been out of the loop a bit.

I talked back and forth with a few of the media and the simplest way to put it is the execs and training/medical staffs believed Warren was lying about his injury. They literally couldn’t find anything.

The fact Warren is claiming the trade is disrespectful is the most disingenuous aspect of this whole thing.

Suns should have been able to get more for a 25-year old, multi-year 18 ppg scorer with multiple years of shooting 37% or better from range, coming off a career year for shooting on a 12-per year deal.

Warren’s own tanking made that impossible. I know for a fact at least one team turned down Warren/2nd got Cash. Seriously. That’s how little he was thought of.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well the Spurs won and the only have the Rockets and Jazz left. Memphis loss do while the Suns are one game down in the loss column it looks bleak to find a way in
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Well the Spurs won and the only have the Rockets and Jazz left. Memphis loss do while the Suns are one game down in the loss column it looks bleak to find a way in
Suns basically have to win out. Memphis needs to lose out I believe.

Portland will likely be in.

Suns hold the tie-breaker with Spurs.

Pelicans are done.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Team - games back - remaining games

Memphis Grizzlies - 0 - Boston, Milwaukee
Portland Trail Blazers - 1 - Philadelphia, Dallas, Brooklyn
San Antonio Spurs - 1 - Houston, Utah
Phoenix Suns - 1.5 - Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Dallas
New Orleans Pelicans - 2.5 - Sacramento, Orlando
Sacramento Kings - 3 - Houston, New Orleans, Los Angeles
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

JMJ, the recent comment by Draymond Green concerning Booker is disconcerting. I know the Suns have him locked up and he is ultra competitive and won’t quit on the team but do you sense he is happy with the direction of the franchise?

He certainly appears to be positioned to be another Kobe type of player. The head coach is sold and Ayton seems to be progressing well. Can you give us the state of the Suns and what you see. The future for the franchise
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:JMJ, the recent comment by Draymond Green concerning Booker is disconcerting. I know the Suns have him locked up and he is ultra competitive and won’t quit on the team but do you sense he is happy with the direction of the franchise?

He certainly appears to be positioned to be another Kobe type of player. The head coach is sold and Ayton seems to be progressing well. Can you give us the state of the Suns and what you see. The future for the franchise
Let’s clear the offseason.

But I don’t see Draymond’s comments having any relevance, because Booker is bought in with a Coach he likes who pushes him, with a nice combination of quality vets and developing, upside youth, a core 4 of Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Mikal (add Cam if you want for a 5th) that are all within a few years of each other in age, and they have CAP the next 2 offseasons plus their own 1sts.

They are in a good place.

I don’t see Booker being a quitter like Bledsoe or Warren. He spoke about how the fan support has been there for him since day one and he feels the Suns owe the Fans to be competence and win.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

if the Suns win out and Portland loses one of the final two games and Memphis wins a remaining game, Suns are in as the 9
if the Suns win out and Portland loses one of the final two games and Memphis losses both remaining games, Suns are in as the 8
if the Suns win two out of three they need Portland to lose both their last two games and San Antonio to lose one of their last two games to be in
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Portland plays Dallas, who is locked into the 7 seed and is resting guys against Utah tomorrow, likely against Portland as well. Nets are also locked into 7 and may rest guys too. Expect Portland to be the 8 seed.

-Shane Battier
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

TucsonClip wrote:Portland plays Dallas, who is locked into the 7 seed and is resting guys against Utah tomorrow, likely against Portland as well. Nets are also locked into 7 and may rest guys too. Expect Portland to be the 8 seed.
Portland is in, most likely.

Suns chances mostly hinge on tonight vs Thunder. They played yesterday, so, hopefully they wear down in the second half.

Memphis has been surprisingly competitive without JJJ. Although, advances states say they are a net 4 points better with him off the court, so, maybe not surprisingly.

I feel the Suns are probably going to miss. They basically need a loss from 2 teams who are now playing mostly resting teams.

Suns have Thunder tonight, then two games vs Sixers (injuries) tomorrow and Mavericks (resting) Thursday.

But Suns struggle with teams they should beat easily. So many of their losses are WTF losses like that, so, they aren’t gimmies.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Suns have DOMINATED OKC for three quarters. Ayton didn’t play the first for being late for a virus test.

Not sure about the effort OKC is putting in here but the league would do themselves a favor if they found a way to get Phoenix into the playoffs. They look fantastic
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Crown the Suns as Bubble Champs
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ayton missed his covid test and 1Q. They were down 14 and then up 10 when he came back in the 2Q. Crazy
JMarkJohns wrote:Suns needed a PG with this roster that included Oubre (plays Defense), Mikal (plays Defense), Cam (plays Defense). They didn’t need a black hole who was injured 50% of his games and willing to quit on his team when they needed him.
Warren or Bledsoe haha? Same guy bring both of those guys here?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So now the suns and Trail Blazers have 39 losses with two games to play. San Antonio and Memphis both have 38 with two to Play. They are listing Portland as the #9 Seed but if they lose one and the Suns win both they are saying we will be the play in team even though SA has 38 loses. This makes no sense to me
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Could you imagine if the Suns had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azcat49 wrote:So now the suns and Trail Blazers have 39 losses with two games to play. San Antonio and Memphis both have 38 with two to Play. They are listing Portland as the #9 Seed but if they lose one and the Suns win both they are saying we will be the play in team even though SA has 38 loses. This makes no sense to me
Based off winning percentage since not all teams will have played the same number of games.

-Shane Battier
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Irish27 wrote:Could you imagine if the Suns had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton.
I can.

I can imagine no interior defense to help two highly suspect wing defenders
I can imagine them not acquiring Mikal Bridges, furthering their poor wing defense
I can imagine no legit PG signing to play alongside two ball-dominant, 20+ shot, 30% usage wings
I can imagine Warren also joining this chucking barrage and barely any defense
I can imagine Igor still is the coach and not Monty, for better or for worse since he and Luka are close
I can imagine no Oubre which means no #ValleyBoyz fandom rally
I can imagine no Cam because McD is probably still general manager because their shitty but exciting Suns score a lot and make highlights

Now, maybe that is better than this? But Luka was not saving last years team, and, absent a PG, wholesale shooting, defensive, & coaching changes, I’m not sure this season is much better for Booker/Luka/Jackson and... ???

I’m not discounting Luka. He’s great. Right now, definitely the better player of he and Ayton, and, he seems more willing to play aggressive meaning he may always be the better player.

But Ayton is the 2nd most important player on the Suns according to advanced metrics, and his advanced D metrics suggest All-Defensive upside.

Factor in his gravity and Booker’s complement each other rather than step all over each other and you have a more ideal pairing if paired with shooters and defenders and smart passers.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Could you imagine if the Suns had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton.
I can.

I can imagine them not acquiring Mikal Bridges, furthering their poor wing defense
I can imagine no legit PG signing to play alongside two ball-dominant, 20+ shot, 30% usage wings
I can imagine Igor still is the coach and not Monty, for better or for worse since he and Luka are close
I can imagine no Cam because McD is probably still general manager because their shitty but exciting Suns score a lot and make highlights

Now, maybe that is better than this? But Luka was not saving last years team, and, absent a PG, wholesale shooting, defensive, & coaching changes, I’m not sure this season is much better for Booker/Luka/Jackson and... ???

I’m not discounting Luka. He’s great. Right now, definitely the better player of he and Ayton, and, he seems more willing to play aggressive meaning he may always be the better player.

But Ayton is the 2nd most important player on the Suns according to advanced metrics, and his advanced D metrics suggest All-Defensive upside.

Factor in his gravity and Booker’s complement each other rather than step all over each other and you have a more ideal pairing if paired with shooters and defenders and smart passers.
Ayton is a very good player, but I would still take Doncic. Ayton is soft, not aggressive. He disappears too many times in a game. Doncic loves the game. That shows on the court. He is going to be a star for a long time. The Suns would be a better team with Luka. They could of gone after Clint Capela if they drafted Doncic. Doncic is a player that comes around once in 20 years or so. I could ask 15 NBA experts whether the Suns should of taken Luka, and all would of said yes.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Irish27 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
I can.

Ayton is a very good player, but I would still take Doncic. Ayton is soft, not aggressive. He disappears too many times in a game. Doncic loves the game. That shows on the court. He is going to be a star for a long time. The Suns would be a better team with Luka. They could of gone after Clint Capela if they drafted Doncic. Doncic is a player that comes around once in 20 years or so. I could ask 15 NBA experts whether the Suns should of taken Luka, and all would of said yes.
How many said it before the 2018 draft? That is what matters
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Irish27 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
I can.

Im not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying it is infinitely more complicated than that.

They didn’t have the realistic CAP to get Capella. Who was an Restricted Free Agent and going to be matched at what the Suns could offer. They would have needed to overpay by a lot.

They had 15 million in 2018 Offseason. Capella got that from Houston no fuss.

Rosters are tricky things.

Yes, Luka is better. Probably will be. He’s a virtuoso on offense and shit on D and would step all over what Booker was and is now, and maybe that’s not a concern because Luka is also arguably better than Book (though I’m not there yet, because Booker is a better shooter and more efficient high-volume scorer).

But after those 2 the next best players were:

Warren, another No D, ball-dominant scorer
Jackson, looked to be developing, but not really
Ariza, quit trying after 5 games, traded a few months into season
Holmes, solid hustle bum who makes plays at C but isn’t game-planable
Chandler, waived soon into season

Luka sorta means you don’t need a PG, so I’ll give you that, but that is an atrocious shooting and defensive team.

And I’m not sure it gets much better this last offseason. Maybe they make a fancy trade for a Big? Capella was available via trade. Maybe they make a play for Gordon? Who knows.

But your best players are still very iffy on D and basically duplicate each other in multiple skills/ball-dominance, and you are stuck with Igor as coach. Maybe that works out. But players basically quit on him, so, who knows.

I do not think Booker/Luka would be 6-0 in the Bubble.

This current Suns team has an older-school, Spurs-esque construction and focus on D, on depth, on shooting. Now it’s young and has some silly personalities that get in their own way.

But I see what Jones is doing. I agree with it.

Dump Kaminsky/Okobo/1st and go hard after Fred VanVleet and with health, this team has playoffs outright next year upside with insane youth for further upside.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Enjoy reading you guys getting in the weeds on these two guys. I can’t complain about Ayton and where he is in his development. Booker and him are what 23 and 20? If the Suns can keep them together and add or keep those key pieces I would be very happy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thoughts are with Paul and his family. I went to high school with his daughter.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:(

My family moved to Phoenix in 1970 and the Suns were my first local sports team fandom. Hoping for the best.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh my. That is a tough one to battle but remembering Paul and his ultra competitiveness that cancer is in a fight.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Luka and KP playing against the Blazers tonight. Stars are aligning...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Suns win again... The greatest Bubble team in the history of the world.

But still need some help....
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the Grizzlies lost but I assume they own the tiebreaker with us as does Portland. Portland up at half on the Mavs
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Looks like all 4 teams are basically tied for the 2 spots... crazy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Memphis Grizzlies: 33 - 39 - .458 - 20 - Milwaukee
Portland Trail Blazers: 33 - 39 - .458 - 20 - Dallas (currently winning), Brooklyn
Phoenix Suns: 33 - 39 - .458 - 20 - Dallas
San Antonio Spurs: 32 - 38 - .457 - 20 - Utah
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:So the Grizzlies lost but I assume they own the tiebreaker with us as does Portland. Portland up at half on the Mavs
If the Grizzlies lose out, and the Suns win out, Suns are in. If the Blazers win out and the Grizzlies lose out, Portland is in.

If the Grizzlies win, they are in, and Suns would need to win out and Portland to lose out.

Realistically, I think Phoenix is 9th and Portland is 8th.

For Suns to be 8th, they would need Grizzlies and Portland to lose out.

To be. Ninth they need to win vs Dallas, and have Grizzlies lose, I’m pretty sure that’s it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Simpler...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm rooting for the Spurs so they can set a record playoff appearance.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law