World Cup

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

World Cup

Post by Longhorned »

I'm into it. Lots to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Do you agree with Cuban that the NBA should turn its back on FIBA and make its own World Cup? I do. I don't understand why the NBA isn't being more forward thinking on this. Is the problem that it's Cuban who is making the noise? Because Silver is Stern's protoge, and Stern hates Cuban?

It makes no sense why the NBA carries the risk, when all it really gets in return from FIBA is international marketing. It can do at least as well marketing its own World Cup, while getting a financial return at the same time. The NBA could make it happen because it holds the cards. It would be a great opportunity to make the NBA itself more international by revising rules, advertising, and expanding all over the world.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: World Cup

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He isn't wrong that FIBA is corrupt. That said, the underlying issue is that the NBA season is crazy long. Cubans solution doesn't solve that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Didn't the World Cup just end?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He isn't wrong that FIBA is corrupt. That said, the underlying issue is that the NBA season is crazy long. Cubans solution doesn't solve that.
So what about international expansion to replace revenue for fewer games?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:He isn't wrong that FIBA is corrupt. That said, the underlying issue is that the NBA season is crazy long. Cubans solution doesn't solve that.
So what about international expansion to replace revenue for fewer games?
Expansion is always a double edged sword. There's the effect of diluting the talent pool. People rip the early 00's as bad because of HS to the pros, but I tend to think the late 80's and 90's expansion created that dead period because of expanding the # of teams at a more rapid rate than the talent.

Overseas always has a logistical question, especially with back to backs being commonplace. I wouldn't be bothered by overseas expansion if you can work the logistics.

The NBA season would be more palatable if they shaved a little length or games out of the current length.

My out of the box solution, single elimination mid season tourney against top Euro teams in Jan/Feb. It involves an international market, you could make decent TV money off it, and it builds a break in the action.

Edit; only top 8 teams or so. Euro leagues don't have our depth yet.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm so pumped for this. It's like Christmas in summer.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Am I the only guy watching USA v. Slovenia right now?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Nope
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Good to know, K.

Hopefully this USA team will catch Turkey and Spain or France on a bad shooting night, because these guys are not playing team offense or team defense.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I've been really disappointed in the USA players that originally committed to this team and then backed out late in the process. If this keeps up I may need to forgive James Harden some of his youthful transgressions. Who knows, I could even turn into a big Gay guy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not a big Gay guy.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

KaibabKat wrote:I've been really disappointed in the USA players that originally committed to this team and then backed out late in the process. If this keeps up I may need to forgive James Harden some of his youthful transgressions. Who knows, I could even turn into a big Gay guy.
Agree, although I can never forgive Harden for deciding he doesn't want to play defense anymore ... Oh, and I'm not a big Gay guy either Rick ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We'll see if that second half was a breakthrough for the challenge of Spain or France.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Turkiye looked good for about 25 minutes, and the US did not, until the US stopped lollygagging, for lack of a better phrase. Gotta love Kenneth Faried, he's just what this particular squad needs.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

BIG game on Thursday. Hope that the USA wins again convincingly AND that one of our favorite Wildcats has a great game also.

Go USA. Bear Down Kyryl.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona Fan World Cup Trivia Question:

- If Kyryl looks impressive against USA, what are the three parties we should we consider being pissed off at?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:Arizona Fan World Cup Trivia Question:

- If Kyryl looks impressive against USA, what are the three parties we should we consider being pissed off at?
1.) Kyryl, for not fulfilling obvious potential
2.) Miller, for not figuring out a better way to use/motivate him
3.) Putin, just because.

A distant 4th would be Coach K.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Arizona Fan World Cup Trivia Question:

1.) Kyryl, for not fulfilling obvious potential
2.) Miller, for not figuring out a better way to use/motivate him
3.) Putin, just because.

A distant 4th would be Coach K.
BOOM! Can't stump Rey.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I realize that probably only three of us are following the World Cup, and I'm guessing that American basketball fan interest in this event still isn't there, which I don't understand (this really is the top international event for basketball, not the Olympics). So I'm posting this mostly just as a future note to self. Assuming that Spain advances, I'm increasingly unconvinced that this USA team will have had enough time to come to develop the cohesiveness required to beat Spain on its home floor. It wouldn't be all bad to end the streak of domination. It would be good for the sport, international interest (everyone wants USA to lose), and for USA basketball. Getting it back again would be a good incentive for longer-term dedication among the top USA players, and maybe attract more US fans. This current team really is just taped together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nobody wanna talk about Spain going down???
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, Longhorned, I'll take the bait. This sucks. I'm kind of worried that the international game will have to recover. Who in the world will care if USA is so damn dominating? Does anybody in the US even care?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Longhorned wrote:Nobody wanna talk about Spain going down???
Never saw that one coming. Not many did. It really is too bad as it takes away a lot of the luster.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Exactly. It's hard to see the best NBA players wanting to work for something that a 3rd string USA team will have shown they took care of. Those guys will want a gold medal, but what about a World Cup? Should be the most important international event for the sport, but Spain didn't help bring that luster.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Apathy has become endemic with the pro basketball players. I was looking forward to seeing ex Wildcat Robertas Javtokas play for Lithuania but he ended up pulling a "Durant" on his team.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Looks like we may end up playing Serbia.

Celebrity sighting at the Serbia vs. France game - Ivan Radenocic sitting a four or five rows up behind the Serbian bench.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How can a country with only 7 million people produce this many quality basketball players? That's like Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Been a bad year for Spain and World Cups.

The best answer is more Gasols.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I love this Serbia team.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:I realize that probably only three of us are following the World Cup, and I'm guessing that American basketball fan interest in this event still isn't there, which I don't understand (this really is the top international event for basketball, not the Olympics). So I'm posting this mostly just as a future note to self. Assuming that Spain advances, I'm increasingly unconvinced that this USA team will have had enough time to come to develop the cohesiveness required to beat Spain on its home floor. It wouldn't be all bad to end the streak of domination. It would be good for the sport, international interest (everyone wants USA to lose), and for USA basketball. Getting it back again would be a good incentive for longer-term dedication among the top USA players, and maybe attract more US fans. This current team really is just taped together.
And yet ... 40 minutes from a Gold Medal, which is about what most thought would happen.

Count me as one who doesn't think the USA needs to lose anytime soon ...
That was crazy. France just blew them out in the 4th, and to think they beat Spain without Parker ... although they then lost to Serbia without Parker, which seemed to restore equilibrium.

I think the US wins Sunday. I also think due to the NBA-ization of International Basketball, the Olympics will always take precedence over the World Cup.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:
I also think due to the NBA-ization of International Basketball, the Olympics will always take precedence over the World Cup.
I agree, but I don't like it. I guess I have this desire that basketball will somehow take over the world, and that everyone will wake up and realize that, as great a sport as soccer is, basketball is the greatest gift to humanity that this planet has ever seen. And so soccer gets its own universally-acknowledged, truly great international event, and basketball has to share its stage with gymnastics and diving.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Would all those people who still think that Derrick Williams should have been drafted ahead of Kyrie Irving please stand up?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:Would all those people who still think that Derrick Williams should have been drafted ahead of Kyrie Irving please stand up?
You say that as though you're speaking to more than just me and Rey.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

That game wasn't as close as I thought it would be ... I also think more players from this team are on the 2016 Olympics team than some would otherwise think ...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, I think a lot of these young guys have earned a spot if they want it. They can wear the "C Team" label with pride.

Wow, Serbia looked a lot better in their earlier elimination games. Even with all the foul trouble for USA, just flattened them.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

On 2016...

For Certain
Irving
Curry
Thompson
Davis

Very Likely
Harden
Cousins

Possibly
Derozan
Gay
Drummond

Only ones I can see with vets like Paul, Westbrook, Kobe, Iguodala, Durant, Anthony, James, Aldridge, Love, Griffin, Howard still vying for a spot possibly, plus young studs like Parker, Gordon, amongst others like Lillard, Wall, Oladipo, and who knows about George.

Crazy talent.

Ideal from what I saw this year:

Westbrook, Irving, Curry
Durant, Anthony, James, Thompson
Griffin, Love, Aldridge
Davis, Cousins
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Faried?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:Faried?
I like him, but over Griffin? Love? Aldridge?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Faried?
I like him, but over Griffin? Love? Aldridge?
In 2016, I'd take him over Griffin or Aldridge because his effort is infectious, he's been central to the team's identity, and I think he's earned a spot on 2016.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don't think you watched enough NBA this season. Griffin became a legitimate top-10 player and Aldridge is perfect for FIBA and was entirely dominant. It's nice having hustle bums on the team, but if James plays, both he and Anthony are stretch PFs at times, so, where does he fit? Griffin is a better athlete and better across the board offensively, and Aldridge is a beast.

If no Alridge or Griffin, maybe. I like the idea. But as an undersized PF, Faried is really hurt longterm. If he was a C with his skills, if take him over Cousins.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:I don't think you watched enough NBA this season. Griffin became a legitimate top-10 player and Aldridge is perfect for FIBA and was entirely dominant. It's nice having hustle bums on the team, but if James plays, both he and Anthony are stretch PFs at times, so, where does he fit? Griffin is a better athlete and better across the board offensively, and Aldridge is a beast.

If no Alridge or Griffin, maybe. I like the idea. But as an undersized PF, Faried is really hurt longterm. If he was a C with his skills, if take him over Cousins.
I'll take the hustle bum. I might even call him the Hustle Hobo. I just think he's the best kind of continuity. In my world, which consists of my sofa in front of my screen watching every friendly, group play, and elimination game, I'd like to see such a key piece on a team that throttled the international competition by being Mr. Dependable get to help defend what he helped to build.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

JMarkJohns wrote:On 2016...

For Certain
Irving
Curry
Thompson
Davis

Very Likely
Harden

Possibly
Drummond
These are the 6 I was thinking. By this I'm understanding that you don't think Rose will be playing at a high enough level (or playing at all) to merit consideration. Why Cousins over Drummond?

JMarkJohns wrote:Only ones I can see with vets like Paul, Westbrook, Kobe, Iguodala, Durant, Anthony, James, Aldridge, Love, Griffin, Howard still vying for a spot possibly, plus young studs like Parker, Gordon, amongst others like Lillard, Wall, Oladipo, and who knows about George.

Crazy talent.

Westbrook, Irving, Curry
Griffin, Love, Aldridge
Davis, Cousins
From the vets you mention, I don't see Kobe, Howard, Iggy or Melo being there. That leaves 7 guys - Paul, Westbrook, KD, LeBron, Aldridge, Love, and Griffin - up for 5-7 spots, depending on who carries over from this squad, and whether Lillard, Wall or Parker break through (the only young bucks I think will be in the running).

I like your squad a lot, although I would replace Melo with Paul, and I don't completely trust Cousins to not F things up between now & then.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

He'll likely get the chance. I doubt my ideal happens. Would surprise me if Anthony/James are done with International. Throw in question mark of Aldridge, that's three spots like to be filled by Harden, Derozan or Leonard, and either Drummond or Faried.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I don't think you watched enough NBA this season. Griffin became a legitimate top-10 player and Aldridge is perfect for FIBA and was entirely dominant. It's nice having hustle bums on the team, but if James plays, both he and Anthony are stretch PFs at times, so, where does he fit? Griffin is a better athlete and better across the board offensively, and Aldridge is a beast.

I'll take the hustle bum. I might even call him the Hustle Hobo. I just think he's the best kind of continuity. In my world, which consists of my sofa in front of my screen watching every friendly, group play, and elimination game, I'd like to see such a key piece on a team that throttled the international competition by being Mr. Dependable get to help defend what he helped to build.
While I appreciate your argument LH, even support the philosophy behind it, I think JMJ is right in that there's too much better talent to ignore in 2016. Maybe there's enough injury or guys ducking out to include him - I'd invite him to camp for sure, I just don't see Faried on the flight to Rio.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Reydituto wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:On 2016...

For Certain
Irving
Curry
Thompson
Davis

Very Likely
Harden

Possibly
Drummond
These are the 6 I was thinking. By this I'm understanding that you don't think Rose will be playing at a high enough level (or playing at all) to merit consideration. Why Cousins over Drummond?

JMarkJohns wrote:Only ones I can see with vets like Paul, Westbrook, Kobe, Iguodala, Durant, Anthony, James, Aldridge, Love, Griffin, Howard still vying for a spot possibly, plus young studs like Parker, Gordon, amongst others like Lillard, Wall, Oladipo, and who knows about George.

Crazy talent.

Westbrook, Irving, Curry
Griffin, Love, Aldridge
Davis, Cousins
From the vets you mention, I don't see Kobe, Howard, Iggy or Melo being there. That leaves 7 guys - Paul, Westbrook, KD, LeBron, Aldridge, Love, and Griffin - up for 5-7 spots, depending on who carries over from this squad, and whether Lillard, Wall or Parker break through (the only young bucks I think will be in the running).

I like your squad a lot, although I would replace Melo with Paul, and I don't completely trust Cousins to not F things up between now & then.

Cousins has so much potential. Making this team was encouraging. He accepted his role. I've read his comments and representing US is a dream of his. I like to have great players who understand the moment and honor.

I like Drummond. To me, he the C version of Faried. All depends on Cousins.

I think Rose is done. He's like RGIII.

I'd always want Anthony in international comp. he's a fantastic face-4.

Realistic:

Westbrook, Irving, Curry
Durant, Thompson, Harden, Leonard
Griffin, Love, Faried
Davis, Cousins or Drummond

I think Paul is too old, James has been complaining about the seasons wear/tear, and Anthony may lose interest. Aldridge is just a favorite of mine for FIBA, and I have no idea if he's actually interested.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Not a shocker. Who is next up?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Donovan? Makes sense and he's officially an NBA guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »