Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Nick Foles

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gamer.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Ouch. Sounds like the honeymoon is over in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 98f11.html" target="_blank

Hochman: Foles looks like weak link

By Benjamin Hochman
MINNEAPOLIS • The truth was in the dare.

“I was telling the boys — ‘Are they serious, do they really want to give us the ball?’” recalled Rams receiver Kenny Britt, in what surely sounded like loquacious squawking.

But they were serious — the Vikings dared Nick Foles to try to beat them with a touchdown ... and Nick Foles responded like Nick Foles.

Yup, the Rams signed a guy to be a franchise quarterback, and Rams opponents want him to have the ball in overtime.

Even an overtime win Sunday wouldn’t have masked the overall issue — Foles is flimsy and fallible, and the Rams’ offense has been reduced to surviving with him at the helm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's looked like straight doo-doo this year. Overthrowing guys, throwing behind them, getting them lit up by throwing late over the middle, etc. Not sure if his mentality of never turning the ball over is making him throw passes that are essentially unwatchable by anyone, but right now he is just not good.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Foles had that crazy shortened 2013 season and expectations got too high. I took a lot of heat when I made comments about him, cannot remember if it was here or the old site, and I truly am not trying to come back with an "I told you so" here. But you look back on that season, he had everything go right, I don't know if I have ever seen that for a QB over that extended of a period. He had a new and dynamic offense that NFL teams were still adjusting to. He had some nice weapons around him. You would watch a lot of his completions and touchdowns, and guys were wide open, guys were catching the balls and making big plays after the catch, defenders were tripping over their feet and falling down, or there was blown coverage. If I recall correctly, he also had an easy schedule and cruised until the playoff game vs New Orleans. Teams were still trying to figure out how to beat him, and that gets pushed to the side when you got to deal with learning how to contain Chip Kelly's offense. Granted, you still have to make those passes, and Foles doesn't often miss the open man when he has time. He even surprised me with some of the deep balls he threw, I was definitely wrong there. But I thought that season was just the perfect storm, and I mean perfect. You have those games, but those went on, and on, and on.

But last season, albeit shortened, he came back down to earth. Some of the freaky things weren't happening. Teams figured out what type of qb Foles was and adjusted. Teams adjusted to Kelly. Sanchez had a few games where he went back to Sanchez, but remember him coming in for several games and looking great?

The only game this season where Foles has impressed me was the Arizona game, but even then I wasn't super impressed. You give him credit for being accurate, he was efficient and threw the three TDs and no picks. He did what he had to to win that game on the road. Still though, only 177 yards. While fine in that game, he only has one game over 200 yards this season. In that game, against Seattle, that really should have been a 150 yard day or so, probably less. His one TD, the game winner, came on a deep ball where the backup safety (a practice squad guy the year prior) tripped and fell, leaving the tight end wide open. He had several completions to their primary tight end that resulted in big plays that kept drives open, but it was a product of Chancellor being out, and three new pieces in the secondary who weren't on the same page with Sherman and Thomas. Every one of those completions, those guys were in the newbies ears yelling at them. He also must have had 80 or 90 receiving yards on dumpoffs to running backs that should have been limited to 20-30 yards total but Seattle was uncharacteristically not able to wrap the guys up. It was a game that looked great on paper, but actually watching it and seeing how those stats unfolded was a different story.

In these times in the NFL, you have to be above that sometimes. There needs to be a threat there. Russell Wilson struggles with this too (aside from his horrible offensive line which makes it worse), but he can get the deep ball out when he has time in the pocket, plus his legs more than make up for 50 passing yards a game. Being efficient and not killing your team with dumb mistakes and turnovers is great, but you have to be able to make the big play and not just dump balls off and nickel and dime guys for the sake of not killing your team. The Rams style is to win with the defense and running game, but he's had arguably the best back in the league this year and he has speed on the outside, things should be opening up. It's crazy what Gurley has done already taking into account the limitations of the passing game and teams knowing that. I just think that now the dust has cleared, Foles is just an average quarterback who wont kill you, but also wont win you many games. It could be far worse for the Rams, but I don't see them being anything more than an 8-8 or 9-7 team with him at the helm. I'm fine with him at quarterback there, because the thought of that team having a better qb scares me. They have the bones to be a playoff team who makes things for my team even more difficult.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

damn
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't feel all that bad for him.

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $24,540,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $13,792,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,270,000. In 2015, Foles will earn a base salary of $1,022,000, a signing bonus of $3,000,000, a roster bonus of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $20,000. Foles has a cap hit of $4,042,000 while his dead money value is $7,792,000.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

He's been playing really bad, I for one am a big fan of Foles but if your not performing...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I don't feel all that bad for him.

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $24,540,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $13,792,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,270,000. In 2015, Foles will earn a base salary of $1,022,000, a signing bonus of $3,000,000, a roster bonus of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $20,000. Foles has a cap hit of $4,042,000 while his dead money value is $7,792,000.
Me either:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014 ... _tori.html

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Almost $14 mil guaranteed and that for a wife? Winning.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

For that kind of money I would be certainly glad to hold the clipboard on the sidelines. And if the Rams didn't want to pay the $2M roster bonus I would just stay home and never have to work again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Keemun is 3-12 and looks like shit. Put Foles back in.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Rams coaching staff are fucking idiots. They left Keenum in while doing horribly. Then they left him in after probably being concussed. Now he just lost a fumble that might cost them a game they very easily should have won.

Annnnnnndddddd . . . they lose. Haha, fuck you Rams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This was Keenum after taking a big hit to the head on their last drive.
The coaches kept him in the game.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Just tough to watch at this point. Rams fans letting him hear it today too. Funny how the Philly media and fans always get the bad rep for that sort of thing, but Foles has taken a bigger beating from the locals in St. Louis after half a season than he ever did in Philly.

Can't blame Fisher for trading for him though. Fisgher knew he was on the hot seat going into this year, and didn't want to have to depend on Bradford's knee's holding up. And Bradford had been out of action for almost two years. There was just no way of knowing that Foles would look this bad outside of Chip Kelly's offense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
:lol:

Rams could make this the weirdest move in NFL history be trading Foles back to Philly (for what, another second? possibly a first?) and then signing Bradford to a FA deal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just hold the clipboard during the games as 3rd string QB and use it to count all the millions you are getting Nick.

Nick Foles: Rams Quarterback Reportedly Skips Team Activities to Protest Drafting of Jared Goff

Foles, who started 11 games last season, has not attended any of the Rams' voluntary activities since the team selected the rookie quarterback with the top pick in the draft on April 28, ESPN reports.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cutting Foles means the Rams have to pay a steep price of $9.75 million in dead cap money this year, per Spotrac. It also costs an additional $1 million for the last year on Foles' original contract.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Signed with the Chiefs. Also had been looked at by the Cowboys and Seahawks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Signed with the Chiefs. Also had been looked at by the Cowboys and Seahawks.
Not too shabby, although peanuts to what he was making.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Do the Rams still owe him money?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You have to be kidding me...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

$7mil guarantee wow
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Nick getting a big ovation from Philly fans when he came in for garbage time minutes today against the Broncos. Then again after the perfect pass to Nelson Agholor to put the Eagles in the red zone after going for it on 4th down. Say what you want about Philly fans, but they've never shown anything but love to Foles.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Heading into the game right now. Wentznout with an injured left leg. Looks like he bruised it.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Ended up going 6/10 42 yards...lead the offense to 2 Field Goals and the come from behind win
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Nick has a very good team around him.

I am officially rooting for Eagles to go all the way with Nick at the helm.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nick is the only QB since the UA joined the PAC in 1978 to ever take a snap in a regular season NFL game. Got to root for this kid, for that reason, along with Stoops not recognizing his potential since he wasn't a "practice player".
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Nick is the only QB since the UA joined the PAC in 1978 to ever take a snap in a regular season NFL game. Got to root for this kid, for that reason, along with Stoops not recognizing his potential since he wasn't a "practice player".
Tom Savage, sort of
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Nick is the only QB since the UA joined the PAC in 1978 to ever take a snap in a regular season NFL game. Got to root for this kid, for that reason, along with Stoops not recognizing his potential since he wasn't a "practice player".
Tom Savage, sort of
Ah yes, I should have said "Only Arizona QB to take a snap in an UA game"
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Nate Sudfield is Foles backup. Interesting one right there
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
No pressure. All Nick has to do is deliver a Christmas miracle to a town that once booed Santa Claus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Gamer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good day for Foles and TJ! UA representing well.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Nice game by Nick. Sorry Brooks.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No TDS but he was 23/30 for 246 yards. Did what they needed to win.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

2 more Nick. No pressure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a practice player.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Sunshine! Having a hell of a first half!
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

He's a gamer plain and simple
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hell yea
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Foles's rating in the first half was 113. Two straight completions to start the second.