Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Rams back to LA?

Post by CalStateTempe »

Carson? What a joke.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TucsonClip wrote:Rams alone to Inglewood pulled off the ballot today... That leaves Rams and Chargers to Inglewood or Chargers and Raiders to Carson.
Now reports saying Rams + team TBD to Inglewood is up for vote and not specifically the Chargers.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Either Stadium will look really nice half empty every week.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:Either Stadium will look really nice half empty every week.
It's pretty much guaranteed that for at least the first couple seasons every game would sellout
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Adios Whale's Vagina....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm so fucking psyched the Rams are coming home.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So when does the move happen? This year? Or in like 2-5 years when the stadium is built?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:So when does the move happen? This year? Or in like 2-5 years when the stadium is built?
They will play at the Coliseum for three years then play in Inglewood starting in 2019.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's a lot of play in the coliseum. At least one college or pro game every weekend

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That old bitch can handle it.

The nice thing is that just as the novelty of having a team again begins to fade, the new stadium will open. Hopefully by then the Rams will be a contender.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They should fire Fisher now.

Maybe this will get me on board. I wish they'd change the name
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:They should fire Fisher now.

To what?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:They should fire Fisher now.

To what?
The Inglewood Ingrates.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The Los Angeles Trafficjams?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Change the name??

They were the LA Rams from 1946 to 1994. They were the first professional franchise to call Los Angeles home. Their history in that city is long and proud. From Kenny Washington (the first African American NFL player) to Fred Gehrke (the halfback who painted horns on his helmet in 1948 and thus was the first team to have an emblem on their helmet) to Bob Waterfield to Norm Van Brocklin to Elroy Hirsch to Tom Fears to the Fearsome Foursome to Roman Gabriel to Jack Youngblood to Jackie Slater to Eric Dickerson. All wore the Rams name and uniform with excellence and pride.

Why would you change the name? Makes no sense whatsoever. Dumb take is really dumb.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not sure why they left in the first place, honestly, beyond stadium politics. Totally changed the Orange County dynamic.

The interesting thing to me is now, what is St. Louis' response? "Never again"? "We were used"?

Or does the city just say F- it and make it all about baseball again?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:Change the name??

They were the LA Rams from 1946 to 1994. They were the first professional franchise to call Los Angeles home. Their history in that city is long and proud. From Kenny Washington (the first African American NFL player) to Fred Gehrke (the halfback who painted horns on his helmet in 1948 and thus was the first team to have an emblem on their helmet) to Bob Waterfield to Norm Van Brocklin to Elroy Hirsch to Tom Fears to the Fearsome Foursome to Roman Gabriel to Jack Youngblood to Jackie Slater to Eric Dickerson. All wore the Rams name and uniform with excellence and pride.

Why would you change the name? Makes no sense whatsoever. Dumb take is really dumb.
I have no loyalty to the rams and would prefer a fresh take. I know they won't, I just prefer they would. I associate them with st. Louis
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

What's funny about all this is not too many people seem to really care, not even the networks. NFL Network was covering it with people that I have never seen before and kept running the same segment over and over again. Sportscenter opened talking for about 3 minutes about it with Shelley Smith doing a live hit then then moved onto basketball. No Mortensen or Schefter or anyone of importance. Just another day in the sports world.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:

I have no loyalty to the rams and would prefer a fresh take. I know they won't, I just prefer they would. I associate them with st. Louis
St. Louis was a pit-stop. They always have been and always will be the Los Angeles Rams. Screw Cleveland and St. Louis.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:

Must be an age thing. I always think of the Rams being an LA team going back to the Roman Gabriel days.

Merlin Olsen too.

Tucsonans may remember Merlin from his Father Murphy days, which was filmed in Old Tucson.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I still think of of the Cardinals as the Chicago Cardinals.

;) (I'm not that old)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I haven't cared about professional football and the rams left when I was 12 so I didn't have an opinion about it. I was pro expansion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I went to an LA Rams/St. Louis Cardinals game at the Big A in 1984. I was seven years old and I brought a terrible homemade sign that said "Pluck Them Birds".
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

St. Louis and San Diego fans are. . .unhappy: http://deadspin.com/a-special-message-f ... 1752701018" target="_blank
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:St. Louis and San Diego fans are. . .unhappy: http://deadspin.com/a-special-message-f ... 1752701018" target="_blank
Easy to relate.

I grew up in So Cal and was a Rams fan. Met Jim Youngblood a couple of times. Ferragamo, Dickerson, even Chrissy bring back great memories at the BIGA.

Then that greedy *unt ( Fronta..Fronta.. Fronta ohh fuck never could say her name) moved them to St. Louis. Have barely followed Pro Football since. Had short romance with the Patriots when I lived in NY (rooting for PAC10 Bledsoe). Have mildly rooted for the 49ers, but only because I have lived in the Bay Area for 20 years. Sadly, only thing keeps me interested is Fantasy.

I don't know how those who still live in OC/LA and experienced the move will respond... but I won't be Buying a Ram's Jersey anytime soon.

Thankfully we are a football school. :-)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

MrBug708 wrote:
If you have no loyalty to the Rams then who cares that you associate them with the city that Georgia Frontieri dropped them in after ripping out everyone's hearts? This is a great day for those of us who associate the Rams with Los Angeles, which is 100% of all Rams fans born before about 1985.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Oakland Raiders: NFL Team Withdraws Bid to Move to Los Angeles

Oakland pulled its bid before the vote that approved the St. Louis Rams for a move to California. The Raiders will receive $100 million from the NFL to put toward a new stadium, ESPN reports.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Should go back to the white and blue jerseys

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No way. Have to get rid of that midwesternized gold and bring back the original SoCal gold, though I don't mind keeping the navy blue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Was I was going to school in Tucson, AZ didn't have a NFL team yet. So they showed the Chargers games every Sunday on TV, which was the closest NFL team.

Dan Fouts and Air Coryell was some fun football to watch, so OK with this, if they ask me. Although I couldn't name a single player on the Chargers today, same with the Rams.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The Chargers have already announced they are staying in SD one more year and hope to stay there long term.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14674 ... worked-out
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

What needs to happen, and quick, is Spanos needs to give up the land that he purchased in Santa Ana for the temporary practice facility and team offices in addition to making a more public statement that he wants to be in San Diego for years to come. Another one year in San Diego and we will see is just not going to cut it. Chargers and San Diego need to get together and get something done quickly, not soon, quickly! If it is perceived that the Chargers are a lame duck team after this upcoming season the fan turnout is going to be pretty brutal for the 2016 season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The problem Coop is that San Diego is no closer to a solution to the stadium issue and isn't interested in a publicly financed option (not that I blame them).

So whether it's 2016, 2017, 2020, or 2030, they are going to lose the team.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chicat wrote:The problem Coop is that San Diego is no closer to a solution to the stadium issue and isn't interested in a publicly financed option (not that I blame them).

Oh, trust me I know. I wake up to the headlines on my sports page everyday and have for the past 10+ years the Chargers have been trying to get a stadium deal done with the city. In the end, both the city and the team is at fault. It has been becoming more and more difficult to root for this team and for this city. I will be a fan as long as they are in San Diego. Once they leave, all bets are off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

St. Louis all butthurt over this:

http://www.stlmag.com/news/sports/rams- ... -st-louis/" target="_blank

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Not in barbecue it ain't.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Coop Cat wrote:
Chicat wrote:The problem Coop is that San Diego is no closer to a solution to the stadium issue and isn't interested in a publicly financed option (not that I blame them).

Oh, trust me I know. I wake up to the headlines on my sports page everyday and have for the past 10+ years the Chargers have been trying to get a stadium deal done with the city. In the end, both the city and the team is at fault. It has been becoming more and more difficult to root for this team and for this city. I will be a fan as long as they are in San Diego. Once they leave, all bets are off.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

From what I know (people inside the organization), this has been in the works for a week or so. Laughable the NFL made "one last pitch" today, and the need to extend the deadline two additional days.

I still believe the saddest part is the voters in the city not really knowing what a TOT tax is, and that it doesnt apply to them in, especially by using it to help fund a stadium. You can make the case that we dont need to build a stadium for billionaire owners, but dont complain about not having a team if you cannt pass a proposal that makes sense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:
Looks like something that was put together in a week.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Looks like something that was put together in a week at junior high graphics design class.
fixed it for you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, what do you think Chi? You're in the business.....sort of. What did a firm make on that logo? $100,000?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

baycat93 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Looks like something that was put together in a week at junior high graphics design class.
fixed it for you.
Appreciate that.
azgreg wrote:So, what do you think Chi? You're in the business.....sort of. What did a firm make on that logo? $100,000?
I'm guessing they had some in-house junior person make that. If they farmed it out to an agency they would have asked for a 60 day turnaround. Maybe they could have pushed it to 30, but they'd have wanted to do some focus group tests and provided multiple options.

So in all likelihood they asked Sally the jn-house junior marketing assistant who took a couple graphic design classes at CSUN to mock something up quickly and there you have your really shitty logo. They probably pay her $34k and she probably spent two hours on it, soooooooo about $50 all in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It looks like something from the USFL.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't think it looks that bad. kinda old school looking. not complicated or too fancy.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »