Chip really wants Mariota

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Chip really wants Mariota

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015 ... _quar.html

Admitting it's not going to be easy, a person familiar with the Eagles' offseason plans says the team "is going to try'' to move up in the NFL Draft to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

The Eagles have the 20th overall pick — and Mariota, who could go as high as No. 1, is not expected to fall out of the top five picks. The first day of the draft is April 30.

"From No. 20, it's certainly not going to be easy,'' said the person, who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak on the subject. "It's probably going to take moving up twice to do it. There's going to be some wheeling and dealing involved.''

Asked if he thought it could happen, the response was telling.

"Can it happen?'' he asked. "I don't know. But they're going to try.''

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly recruited Mariota to Oregon and coached him for his first two years there. Kelly has not hidden his feelings about the quarterback, calling him the "most talented kid I coached in college," while reminding reporters he predicted Mariota would win the Heisman Trophy when he saw him as a freshman. (Mariota won the award in 2014.) Most recently, Kelly compared Mariota to future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning.

Mariota was quoted as saying it would be fun to be with his old college coach again.

"Obviously, [with] my relationship with Coach Kelly, it'd be a lot of fun to be a part of that offense and be a part of that team," Mariota said.

With the recent shuffling of the Eagles' front office, Kelly now has the final say on personnel matters, answering only to owner Jeffrey Lurie, who writes the checks.

"That makes it a little easier,'' the person said. "There isn't anyone in (Kelly's) way.''

What it would take to move from No. 20 to the top five has been debated. One NFL personnel executive told NJ Advanced Media a month ago that he would ask for a No. 1 and a No. 2 this year, a No. 1 next year and running back LeSean McCoy.

Some have speculated it would take a package of at least three first-round picks and additional picks. Others have thrown out the idea of a "Mike Ditka'' deal in which the Eagles would send all of their 2015 picks to a team for the chance to land Mariota, much like the former New Orleans Saints head coach did in 1999 in order to select Texas running back Ricky Williams.

Teams making bold moves to acquire a certain player have seen it backfire on them, however. The Saints failed to win after the historic trade and it cost Ditka his job. But the Redskins, who acquired the picks, struggled, too. They won the NFC East in 1999, then missed the playoffs the next five seasons.

The Redskins also were involved in another draft mega-deal when they traded up with the St. Louis Rams to select quarterback Robert Griffin III. In addition to swapping picks with the Rams, the Redskins traded away two first-round picks and a second-round selection.

The Redskins won the NFC East with a healthy RGIII in his rookie year, but injuries and Griffin's regression have made the deal look bad since. Despite stocking up on draft picks, the Rams have had three straight losing seasons.

In 2004, the Giants traded for quarterback Eli Manning and won two Super Bowls.

In 1983, Denver gave up a mix of picks and players to obtain the rights to quarterback John Elway and that worked out pretty well for the Broncos, who appeared in five Super Bowls with Elway at quarterback, winning two.

Follow Mark Eckel on Twitter at @MarkEckel08. Find NJ.com Sports on Facebook.Contact Mark Eckel at mjeck04@verizon.net.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Re: Chip really wants Mariota

Post by azgreg »

They'd have to give up all their draft picks.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Foles/1st/2nd/1st?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Foles/1st/2nd/1st?
send that to the Bears, and the Bears can send chip the #7 pick and cutler.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
I doubt that's high enough, but maybe the Redskins? Not even sure that's high enough with Tennessee sitting at #2.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If Chip wants Mariota so badly, his best bet is getting himself traded to Tennessee
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I've heard some rumblings Chip wants out of Philly, so, that might not be too far fetched.

After Tampa Bay, it's not a guarantee Mariota is picked until 5/6/7.

Tennessee has Locker and Mettenberger. And Whisenhunt is fool enough to think his system can maximize them.

Jacksonville has Bortles

Oakland has Carr

Washington/New York/Chicago all make sense, none more so than Jets, if available, they net a quality NFL starter who is young, and multiple early picks to add skill on the edges, in the backfield this year, and gain additional 1st next to add to defense. It would be great for Foles, because the Jets O-line looked pretty strong last year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
I doubt that's high enough, but maybe the Redskins? Not even sure that's high enough with Tennessee sitting at #2.
Well maybe he could take cutler and send him to a 3rd team and move up farther?

Hey, i'm grasping at straws here, my team is stuck with jay cutler!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

This has bad idea written all over it, and will surely cut short Chip's stay in the NFL. A bit naive of him to think he could get the band back together and that doing so would succeed.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What was that huge trade years ago? Was it between the Cowboys and the Vikings? Or did it include the Saints? Hershel Walker comes to mind.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:What was that huge trade years ago? Was it between the Cowboys and the Vikings? Or did it include the Saints? Hershel Walker comes to mind.

Vikings got Walker from Cowboys, Cowboys fleeced them for tons of picks and players.

Ditka and the Saints traded all their picks one year to get Ricky Williams.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:What was that huge trade years ago? Was it between the Cowboys and the Vikings? Or did it include the Saints? Hershel Walker comes to mind.

Vikings got Walker from Cowboys, Cowboys fleeced them for tons of picks and players.

Ditka and the Saints traded all their picks one year to get Ricky Williams.
Thanks. These deals always seem to work out better for the teams getting all the picks.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Reydituto wrote:This has bad idea written all over it, and will surely cut short Chip's stay in the NFL. A bit naive of him to think he could get the band back together and that doing so would succeed.

I wouldn't bet against him at this point. Two years ago, everyone said he would fail miserably in the NFL and be back to coaching college after a year or two. All he has done so far is prove everyone wrong. He took over a team that went 4-12 the previous season, and coached them to back-to-back 10 win seasons with a division championship mixed in. Don't know if he plans on "getting the band back together" or not, but whatever he's doing there seems to be working.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Thanks. These deals always seem to work out better for the teams getting all the picks.
I certainly wouldn't take all the picks in one draft like they did. You will get twice as many rookies, which most of them won't stick anyway.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Several teams, including St. Louis Rams, are ready to make a deal for Eagles' Nick Foles

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015 ... l_coa.html

The Eagles apparent indecision on what to do with quarterback Nick Foles has intrigued teams around the league, and possible suitors are beginning to emerge.

According to a person familiar with the situation, but who requested anonymity, the St. Louis Rams have interest in Foles should the Eagles decide to trade him this offseason.

Foles' possible availability was a topic of conversation among coaches and scouts last week at the Senior Bowl, with the Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans also mentioned as teams that would have interest if Foles hit the market.

It is unclear if the Eagles are willing to move Foles. Their plans to explore options surrounding Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota — as reported by NJ Advance Media — in the NFL draft certainly indicate a weakened commitment to Foles.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Jets would be wise to give up their 2nd for Foles. It's an early 2nd, so it's a good pick, and that might go a long ways to enable a 1st/2nd/3rd/1st for Mariota swap while still enabling Philly to add quality players in late 2nd/4th.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

#FreeNick.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Reydituto wrote:This has bad idea written all over it, and will surely cut short Chip's stay in the NFL. A bit naive of him to think he could get the band back together and that doing so would succeed.
Exactly what I think.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So the Eagles gut their entire offense and re-sign Sanchez to a 2 year deal that has a guaranteed $5million and the possibility of earning up to $16million.

I'm thinking they are going to draft Mariotta by trading Foles and picks to move up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If I was a GM I'd take Foles and a couple of 1's for Mariota.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:If I was a GM I'd take Foles and a couple of 1's for Mariota.
I'm really hoping this is the Jets plan.

Foles/2015 1st/2015 2nd/2016 1st

Get a true QB, then use 1st and 2 2nds to protect/help him stay upright on OL and RB.

Decker and Marshall is a solid corps, then use late rounder this year on a burner, and use a high pick next year on elite WR.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wow.