Patriots Guilty of Deflate-Gate

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Patriots Guilty of Deflate-Gate

Post by ASUHATER! »

Good. Stupid suspension when guys who knock out their girlfriends get 2 games.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Yikes NFL!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Roger Goodell has to be fired soon, right?
The owners still love him, so probably not.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:Good. Stupid suspension when guys who knock out their girlfriends get 2 games.
You can compare the penalties for domestic violence, recreational drug use, or other crimes, but you cannot compare crimes involving cheating the integrity of the game to domestic violence. First, the latter is not going to be punished legally, unless they end up before a court and perjure themselves or say, get caught possessing or distributing PEDs. There are punishments in place separate from football and although it doesn't always happen (beneficial treatment, more money for better legal representation, fall guys), it's never any league's job to correct the faults of the legal system.

Second, recreational drug use aside, the scale of those committing crimes (or at least getting caught) is not significant to the overall sizes of these leagues. But what happens when you aren't tough on PEDs? Ask Major League Baseball. And speaking of Major League Baseball, this isn't just an NFL thing (though I hate Goodell), they give 50 games for first time PED use, what does a DUI or DV charge get them? The integrity of a sport on the field is of more importance than the integrity of its players with off the field legal issues. You can suspend women beaters and send them to counseling, they can deal with legal consequences in the real world, they can be released by their teams because they are an embarrassment. A woman beater is the scum of this earth. I have no respect for a woman beater, while I can still probably have some for someone who cheats in the game to get an edge. I mean, it's sad, but it has to be like that. That goes for Pete Rose, Shoeless Joe Jackson, the steroid users who will likely never get in the hall. All HUGE penalties that last their whole lives.

Deflating footballs under the lawful air pressure weight, which has a lot of flex room between the high and low PSI, is cheating. It is messing with the integrity of the game. Destroying evidence to obstruct an investigation involving the integrity of the game is still tampering with the integrity of the game. Whether Brady did any of that or not, that is a whole separate discussion. But like I said, it is an apples to oranges argument. Is it ridiculous a guy can smoke pot and be out 4 games and Ray Rice does a Mayweather on his girl's face and gets 2? Hell yes. I'm jumping into that argument. But integrity of the game stuff should be punished swiftly and sternly, because if you don't, most of the league is going to do it. "I'm going to inject this Sustanon into my ass and hit 50 homeruns a year. Worst thing, I get caught and only serve a game or two, because it is less terrible than my teammate who shoved his wife into a car and missed eight games out of a 162 game season."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sorry. Was a dumb suspension. Pretty much everyone cheats that way.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I stopped caring in about March. Doesn't matter.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Until they go after players for other minutia like using stickem on gloves and the like, a little ball deflation barely registers with me as an issue.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

All the judge did was to throw out the arbitration due to procedural inconsistencies. The way the decision reads, I doubt seriously whether the NFL could win any appeal. The judge, in making his decision, assumed all the facts found by Goodell were correct. The huge point was lack of notice. There was no way that Brady could have known that he was facing any suspension and the only documents the players received said that first offenders could be fined $5000 or so.

So the NFL look like buffoon and amateurs. Brady still has not been exonerated. The league could redo the case against him but could only impose a small fine. Still it feels like a Brady win. I do hope Brady sues the league for defamation although I doubt he will. That is his only way to clear his name.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They've been after stick-um for years, I don't even know if it is even an issue anymore. Though if you ever have the time, try on a pair of those new receiver gloves in the store and toss a game regulation football in the air and catch it with one hand. May as well be stickum.

A little bit of air out of a football may seem trivial, but it is not, especially if one team had that advantage and the other did not. It is a huge difference in that weather for not only grip purposes, but for the receivers as well. I can let the air out of a basketball just below regulation and take 10 shots from the 3 point line and see a few more go in out of 10. I can bite the seams of a baseball, raising them slightly and get a few more inches on a breaking ball, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is huge. Salpointe Catholic used to measure their visitor's bullpen at around 58 feet instead of the 60'6". What is a couple feet out of 60 right? Well you warm up there before the game, and that two feet means once you get onto the field to pitch, everything is going to be in the dirt. Inches (or ounces) mean everything in professional sports.

And ASUHater, everyone else pretty much cheats that way? So why now is it just being caught and made an issue (and yes, I will agree that the league and the media went too far with it). If it were common, why is it being brought up deep into the playoffs? And against a team who many consider to be habitual cheaters or teetering on that line? That's the worst time for it to happen. And in professional sports leagues, if it's a case of "pretty much everyone does it," the teams, coaches and players have a "gentleman's agreement" of "everyone does it, I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me."

It's over and done now. From what I have heard and read, Goodell was out of place and did not have enough for what the punishment was. The evidence tampering, maybe, but not the deflated footballs and at least Brady being responsible. I'm sure most of us will agree that our gut tells us they were doing it, and the coaching staff, Brady and maybe some other players and some staff knew about it. But you better have your ducks in a row if you are going to go after it and make it as public and as much of a big deal as it was made. Goodell did not and now he is looking like an ass. But lets not minimize the alleged conduct here if it were true. Rules are rules, that rule has a good amount of wiggle room to be within the parameters, and when you start to say it is not that big of a deal, that is a slippery slope.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Goodell is going to appeal the ruling.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

should be limited to only being able to appeal to the same judge.

...kinda like how players can only appeal to goodell after a ruling.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:Goodell is going to appeal the ruling.
I don't know if that is what his legal team says yet. They have to read the ruling and determine whether they have a reasonable basis.
I read Berman's ruling and I think it is unassailable in his reasoning.
The NFL's only argument is that all the points Berman made were irrelevant or out of his jurisdiction to make.
That would really be shooting for the stars and I think that result is really unlikely.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

UAEebs86 wrote:
No reason to punish him. Haters.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

scumdevils86 wrote:should be limited to only being able to appeal to the same judge.

...kinda like how players can only appeal to goodell after a ruling.
You are dead right on that second part lol.

Judges can get things wrong, have their own ideologies as much as they try to be neutral, and interpret law and other things differently. Not sure how the appellate process works in a case like this, but I am guessing it is like everything else and will go to that circuit and be reviewed by a three-judge panel. That appellate circuit includes Vermont and Connecticut, so getting even closer to Bradyville. If Goodell loses that decision, you know he is going to try to take it all the way to the Supreme Court. This whole ordeal and ultimate ruling sets a horrible precedent for the league.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

While I agree it sets a horrible precedent for the league in regards to future appeals, overlord Goodell has no one to blame but himself for completely bungling this case and trying to follow through on an obvious witch hunt.

I 100% believe something was going on in NE, but maybe next time some proof would be nice, along with a punishment that actually follows what is outlined in the CBA.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

The NFL's mouthpiece, ESPN, does another hatchet job for the NFL on the Patriots. What a surprise.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Daryl Zero wrote:
The NFL's mouthpiece, ESPN, does another hatchet job for the NFL on the Patriots. What a surprise.
Goodell doesn't come off all that great either though. He's made out to be both slimy and incompetent.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Daryl Zero wrote:
LMAO. ESPN's fault, eh? How many former Belechick-era Patriots has ESPN employed? I can think of three. Theyve rubbed and tugged Brady and Belechick their whole patriots careers. The undefeated season unbearable. Patriots fans are backed into a corner and now their only out is ESPN is doing this for the league, despite their very-recent rippings of the league over Ray Rice and other suspension scandals. Not to mention, the lengthy article goes on and on about the league destroying evidence and other acts of obstruction, lies, and deceit to avoid everything going in front of Congress.

Patriots are a slimeball, cheating organization and Roger Goodell is a slimeball commissioner. Every one of their titles is tied to some cheating controversy. One of the biggest upsets in history against the greatest show on turf, Every time the Patriots made Peyton Manning look mortal, all that, makes perfect sense. This scandal has shaped the outcome of the league for the better part of the last 15 years. And who the hell knows what else would turn up of Goodell did his job rather than sweepinng things under the rug and destroying evidence.

Patriots fans are in denial though, and everyone else is a "jealous hater."

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Source: Steelers irate that NFL didn't force Pats to turn off headsets amid Pittsburgh's own radio issues

In a scene that likely will lead to some glee in other franchises, Tomlin blasted headset communications issues as stuff that "always" happens at Gillette Stadium. Tomlin wasn't subtle in making his point. He pointed the finger at the Patriots without blaming New England directly, saying the Steelers' coach-to-coach headset communications got washed out by the Patriots' flagship radio broadcast.

"We were listening to the Patriots' radio broadcast for the majority of the first half on our headsets," Tomlin said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--st ... RzZWMDc2M-
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

They mentioned on the radio this morning that they did shut off the Patriots coach-to-coach system until the Steeler's head sets were working again.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azgreg wrote:They mentioned on the radio this morning that they did shut off the Patriots coach-to-coach system until the Steeler's head sets were working again.
It sounds like they were trying to get them shut down, but they never actually shut them down. If I was Belichick, I would have played Rick Ross or Metallica And Justice for All instead of the game broadcast.

A source with knowledge of the NFL's reaction said Friday morning that when the league determined Pittsburgh's communications were down, it was in the process of shutting down the Patriots' headsets when the problem was resolved. The problem resurfaced briefly but was then resolved and did not recur.

Because there wasn't a complete system failure, New England's coaches were not required to shut down their headsets during the repairs. However, the Patriots said they experienced issues as well.

The NFL released a statement Friday morning explaining that coaches' communications equipment, including the headsets, is provided by the NFL for both teams' use on game day, but that the home team "is responsible for the installation and maintenance of that equipment."

"Every team's game-day communications personnel are required to work with the NFL communications consultants to ensure wireless equipment is free and clear of interference and address any problems," said Michael Signora, the league's vice president of football communications. "Technological and stadium infrastructure issues of this type happen at many stadiums around the league, and whenever there are issues of this nature, we do a thorough review."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13631 ... riots-game
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Much ado about nothing, just cause it's the Patriots...
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Cheaters gonna cheat.

This is one of the reasons I'm losing interest in the NFL - cheating Patriots. It's been about 4 years since a friend (NFL network employee) told me about spy gate and how the Pats were systematically stealing signals, and it was so bad that the NFL swept it under the rug because it undermined the integrity of the league.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

wyo-cat wrote:Cheaters gonna cheat.

This is one of the reasons I'm losing interest in the NFL - cheating Patriots. It's been about 4 years since a friend (NFL network employee) told me about spy gate and how the Pats were systematically stealing signals, and it was so bad that the NFL swept it under the rug because it undermined the integrity of the league.
Except the headset equipment is the NFLs responsibility and there's numerous cases around multiple stadiums of communications issues.

You also had Big Ben bitching about a legal line shift during a snap count. If a QB can fuck with you with his snap count on third and inches to get an offsides, a d line should be able to shift legally to do the same.

And apparently no one is interested in the Steelers assistant coach supposedly kicking a fan in the back of the leg at halftime?

It's all just sensationalism on ESPNs part and whining on Tomlins part. How about you worry about your time management at the end of the first half or actually having someone cover Gronk before you start pointing fingers.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hilarious how this has turned that historically shady organization into the victims. A testament to Roger Goodell's greatness!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tom Brady's four-game suspension upheld

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15353 ... eals-court" target="_blank
A federal appeals court has ruled that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady must serve a four-game Deflategate suspension imposed by the NFL, overturning a lower judge and siding with the league in a battle with the NFL Players Association.

"We hold that the Commissioner properly exercised his broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness," the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday in a 2-1 decision in New York.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oh good... this is still going on.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

So basically it is at the same exact point as in April of last year. Good lord.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:
Sorry, that is not true!!! There are not many things in life worse than Nickleback.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I posted this in another thread but it is worthwhile.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 2dd37a1efa

Just listen to those crickets. A conspicuous hush is emanating from the NFL office on the subject of those soft footballs the New York Giants retrieved from the field against the Pittsburgh Steelers last week. Where was the outrage, the treating of ball-inflation and pounds-per-square-inch as more serious than a hijacking? Compare the screams of scandal NFL executives emitted toward Tom Brady and the New England Patriots to this smothered, pillow-over-the-face reaction.

It’s a guilty silence, and it leaves NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell beached and exposed. Goodell has always struggled with the demands of speech, but his wordlessness in this instance has nothing to do with competence but rather dishonesty. Any serious examination of those footballs from the Giants-Steelers game might well show that Goodell owes the Patriots and Brady an apology and material recompense. Which is exactly why the league is shutting the matter down and shutting it down now.

When the Giants tested air pressure on two footballs they captured against the Steelers and reported them to be below the permissible range of 12.5 PSI, league officials should have leaped into action. They should have told Steelers officials, “You’re in big f------ trouble” and then leaked erroneous amateur-hour data that poisoned the public understanding. They should have triggered a massive multimillion-dollar investigation, complete with footnoted junk science, that tarred a future Hall of Famer and resulted in fines, a forfeited draft pick and a four-game suspension. They should have invoked the words “scheme” and “tamper” and “cheating” and “competitive integrity,” even compared the offense to “performance-enhancing drugs.”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Heard this on the radio this morning. Stretching it a bit, but still pretty cool

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That is not shocking at all. They signaled to the Patriots after the first Super Bowl they won by cheating that they’d cover up just about anything for them.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

they let Belichick & Staff record and tape the practices and walk throughs of opposing teams both in the regular season and playoffs, of course a little deflating of the ball for Tom Terrific to get a better grip pales in the grand scheme.

NFL is gutless
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »