Cam Newton v. Ed Hochuli

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Daryl Zero

Cam Newton v. Ed Hochuli

Post by Daryl Zero »

Just an interesting nugget.

Cam Newton claims that Ed Hochuli told him that he was too young to get a roughing call. Hochuli denies it.

In the article below you can see the video of Newton talking to Hochuli after the play and his reaction to whatever Hochuli told him.

I have also had personal dealings with Hochuli as a lawyer (Hochuli's other job) which would lead me to believe that he could have definitely said something like that.

I haven't seen any video that shows what happened to Newton which makes him think there should have been a penalty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cam ... 3706dd170b

NFL referee Ed Hochuli is challenging Cam Newton's claim that the 64-year-old official told him that he's "not old enough" to receive a penalty call.

The league's vice president of officiating, Dean Blandino, told the NFL Network on Monday morning that he's spoken with Hochuli, who's "adamant" that he didn't express any feelings of ageism towards the 26-year-old Carolina Panthers quarterback during Sunday's Panthers-Saints game at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

"Saying something to that effect is certainly something that is not appropriate. Again, Ed is adamant that he didn’t say it and that’s where we are," Blandino said.

Cameras caught Newton engaged in a frustrated exchange with Hochuli during the fourth quarter of Sunday's game. On the prior play, Saints defensive tackle Tyeler Davison hit Newton as he was releasing a pass, knocking him to the ground in front of Hochuli. Newton was displeased when Hochuli didn't penalize Davison for unnecessary roughness.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Re: Cam Newton v. Ed Hochuli

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, from Cam's reaction it was obvious he didn't like what Hochuli said. Unfortunately, neither were miked for the game, so it's his word against Ed's.

I'm wondering if Hochuli made mention of Cam's age in reference to him complaining about the call, not the call itself. Hochuli is a great ref, and never seems to play favorites. So I have to wonder if what he said was something along the lines of "you have to be in this league for quite a while before I'm going to let you question my calls".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1. Crowd noise
2. Helmet on

Makes it tough to hear. Maybe they are both correct, the ref said something, but what Newton heard was completely different.

We all played telephone as a kid.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Did anyone see what happened to Newton? The one angle I saw had the camera fooled and it went downfield thinking that Newton had thrown the ball.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Daryl Zero wrote:Did anyone see what happened to Newton? The one angle I saw had the camera fooled and it went downfield thinking that Newton had thrown the ball.
I've looked all over youtube and can only find the same angle as you.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ed's brother's favorite team is the Packers. Mrs. Lippy's car is green
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

rgdeuce wrote:Ed's brother's favorite team is the Packers. Mrs. Lippy's car is green
Which brother?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Pete, now a Juvenile Court Judge. Nice guy, definitely a family of alpha males.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

rgdeuce wrote:Pete, now a Juvenile Court Judge. Nice guy, definitely a family of alpha males.
Yes. He was or is probate commissioner and I like him a bunch.