Potential Drug Scandal according the Huffington Post

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Daryl Zero

Potential Drug Scandal according the Huffington Post

Post by Daryl Zero »

A story about an Al Jazeera special investigative report is on the front page of the Huffington post with allegations regarding football and baseball players.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pey ... 40?6pw4s4i

Explosive Documentary Links Peyton Manning, Major Athletes To Doping Ring

An Indianapolis anti-aging clinic supplied quarterback Peyton Manning with human growth hormone, a performance-enhancing drug banned by the NFL, a pharmacist who once worked at the clinic asserts in a new special report from Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit.

The report, “The Dark Side,” is the result of a monthslong investigation in which Liam Collins, a British hurdler, went undercover in an attempt to expose the widespread nature of performance-enhancing drugs in global sports. As a cover story, Collins tells medical professionals tied to the trade of performance-enhancing drugs that he is hoping for one last shot at glory at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Manning is just one of many high-profile players the report names and raises questions about.

The report airs on Sunday but was shared in advance with The Huffington Post.

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Re: Potential Drug Scandal according the Huffington Post

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol. in other news water is wet.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

CalStateTempe wrote:lol. in other news water is wet.
Yeah, its not like its as bad as taking out .003 psi out of a ball that everyone can get really upset with.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Collins source recant?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:Didn't Collins source recant?
He gave some BS statement that he didn't know anything, but he was involved in getting Collins a whole couch full of stuff. Not all on the dark side, but plenty of it was.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Here's the report if you are interested. I really don't care about an athlete who takes something to recover from an injury. I don't doubt that there is still massive doping going on in several sports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pey ... a688806231

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/sport ... .html?_r=0
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's cheating regardless of whether it is used for an injury or not. There are plenty of guys trying to recover from injuries clean and their recovery is not as speedy or effective as a player who does it with PEDs. That alone is a huge advantage, injuries and extended recovery periods are part of the game. In some injuries, the actual rehab makes you stronger, so add PEDs to that scenario. Plus, there are all the other muscles in the body that benefit from strength training while on PEDs. And the whole "I only used it to recover from an injury" is a huge cop out. Almost everyone has injuries, so that excuse validates use by most players. Whether it is true or not, in most cases it has just been a cop out to deflect/justify cheating. It was a sorry excuse when some of the MLB guys were using it and that was years back.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

rgdeuce wrote:It's cheating regardless of whether it is used for an injury or not. There are plenty of guys trying to recover from injuries clean and their recovery is not as speedy or effective as a player who does it with PEDs. That alone is a huge advantage, injuries and extended recovery periods are part of the game. In some injuries, the actual rehab makes you stronger, so add PEDs to that scenario. Plus, there are all the other muscles in the body that benefit from strength training while on PEDs. And the whole "I only used it to recover from an injury" is a huge cop out. Almost everyone has injuries, so that excuse validates use by most players. Whether it is true or not, in most cases it has just been a cop out to deflect/justify cheating. It was a sorry excuse when some of the MLB guys were using it and that was years back.
And baseball players were using pep pills long before the steroid stuff was happening. You can basically say that (it enhances performance) about anything.
Someone has a better doctor than someone else. Someone has access (money to buy) better training than someone else.

All I care about (if I even care about anything here because it wouldn't bother me that much if professional sports disappeared tomorrow) is that there is a level playing field.
If some guys are taking stuff other guys can't (either afford, don't have the contacts or just want to be honest), then its wrong.
If the league can't or won't test for something, it should otherwise be legal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The joke is on athletes doping, under the guise of "spewing recovery". Despite what their charlitan orthopedists might say, it doesn't work that way.

Just a raises their individual risk for further and/or worse injuries
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Oh man how the story and reaction would be different if it was Brady instead of Manning. Right now, we have people coming out of the woodwork to defend Manning. Dude has built up so much good grace with reporters, tv people, etc.... I half expected Peter King to give a 6 page dissertation on why Manning would never do such a thing. If this was Brady he would've been already convicted by the same people and never forgiven. Due to this being Manning the story will die down rather quickly instead of continuing well into, if not throughout, the playoffs.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

There's Something Strange About Peyton Manning's 'Furious' HGH Denial
It's not a complete denial.

It remains unclear whether Ashley Manning was ever in possession of the drug.

"As the statements pile up regarding the Peyton Manning report," ProFootballTalk founder Mike Florio pointed out, "Ashley Manning’s silence becomes even more conspicuous."

Al Jazeera has not backed away from the story and told reporters that Sly did work for the clinic in 2011, contrary to comments Sly made to ESPN claiming otherwise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pey ... a688806231" target="_blank
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

It will shake out. Either the report is bad or there is something there. I don't like conclusions based upon the wording of a furious denial.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No doubt average nfl fan doesn't trust the source since it's one of those "funny sound names"
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Daryl Zero wrote:
And baseball players were using pep pills long before the steroid stuff was happening. You can basically say that (it enhances performance) about anything.
Someone has a better doctor than someone else. Someone has access (money to buy) better training than someone else.

All I care about (if I even care about anything here because it wouldn't bother me that much if professional sports disappeared tomorrow) is that there is a level playing field.
If some guys are taking stuff other guys can't (either afford, don't have the contacts or just want to be honest), then its wrong.
:lol: How is having a better doctor or having better training (most professional athletes are going to be seeing the best doctors for their respective injuries and have access to premier rehab facilities) akin to taking a performance enhancing drug?

And "if the league can't or won't test for something, it should otherwise be legal." So if an athlete finds a PED that is yet to be undetectable by drug tests, or they are using masking agents to avoid detection, they are good?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

rgdeuce wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:

:lol: How is having a better doctor or having better training (most professional athletes are going to be seeing the best doctors for their respective injuries and have access to premier rehab facilities) akin to taking a performance enhancing drug?

And "if the league can't or won't test for something, it should otherwise be legal." So if an athlete finds a PED that is yet to be undetectable by drug tests, or they are using masking agents to avoid detection, they are good?
I believe the leagues have a vested interest in keeping PEDs in the game ($). I would just prefer that this nonsense be above-board. They aren't really testing for stuff so its basically just PR.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely, but I get where you are coming from and agree with part of it. Yes, it is mostly PR, BUT, they do have a vested interest in keeping that stuff out because nobody wants to go through what baseball did years back. A black eye for the league to the public and mostly, nobody in the league wants Congress and federal investigators snooping around. I am sure the league is up to a lot of shady stuff, we have seen some of the things that have been exposed when people start sniffing.

Nobody wants the golden boy of this generation, Peyton Manning, to be caught up in all of this. There are certainly going to be a lot of people trying to interfere and obstruct to make sure this goes away.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Joe Montana never used PEDs, wasn't a choker, and won rings (4).

Chew on that Peyton.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If the NFL was smart, they'd look at allowing HGH for injury recovery. They'd also look at allowing marijuana use (where legal) for pain management. But the NFL isn't smart. In fact, just the opposite.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Agree on the marijuana. HGH though, slippery slope and where do u draw the line? What types of injuries? What if the guy has an injury to a lower extremety and is allowed to use HGH and goes absolutely HAM in the gym w his upper body in the gym. Or vice versa and goes nuts w his legs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Agree on the marijuana. HGH though, slippery slope and where do u draw the line? What types of injuries? What if the guy has an injury to a lower extremety and is allowed to use HGH and goes absolutely HAM in the gym w his upper body in the gym. Or vice versa and goes nuts w his legs.
I'm not sure that's the way it works. And to my knowledge, I don't believe there has been a study completed that shows that HGH is a performance enhancer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

To my knowledge, the studies that question the gain in muscle mass and strength, and that say HGH can actually hurt athletic performance all have the "further research is needed" disclaimer. Regardless, I think it has been universally found to greatly increase protein synthesis, burn fat, and improve recovery time. Even if the gains of mass and strength are not gained from HGH alone, wouldn't the previously-mentioned positives allow someone to say, hit each muscle group hard twice in the same week as opposed to just once hard? Two hard sessions vs one in the same time will make you bigger and stronger as that previously needed rest period is out the door. Without the aided recovery, the two hard sessions would be counterproductive for most people.

I just have a hard time believing HGH is in its fourth decade of use by elite athletes and it has been a placebo this whole time. All these athletes, professional and olympic, for all these years using it and risk being suspended, banned, having records stripped, being unable to compete in olympic games, all for a placebo? They train, they see things to make it worth that risk. Its obviously doing what just whey, creatine, BCAA supplements, and everything else out there is not giving them. Initially, I think a lot of it was how hard it used to be to detect the stuff in a test. But tests have improved and now they are testing outside of periods when athletes are expecting to get tested and they are still popping people.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Merkin wrote:
OMG! HGH turned Peyton Manning into Beaker!

Merkin

Post by Merkin »