2016 Los Angeles Rams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

2016 Los Angeles Rams

Post by Chicat »

So happy they took Goff. Not happy they gave up so much to get him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Re: 2016 Los Angeles Rams

Post by MrBug708 »

Here is to hoping he's more Ryan Tannenhill and less Tim Couch
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oops, just posted the same on the draft thread. Feel exactly the same, Chi. It's a big gamble, and if it pays off they're contenders. Even if Goff isn't a superstar, the Rams become a playoff team if they can keep the rest of the roster relatively intact. If Goff is a bust, then prepare for another decade of misery.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The good news is that the RGIII draft day trade set them up with some nice pieces, namely a strong defensive and offensive line. They lost some talent through free agency, which is why this was the wrong time to be sending hoardes of picks away. But on paper they should be able to contend with at least some reasonably competent play at QB. Unfortunately they'll be starting a spread-style rookie QB in a pro-style offense. I'm not holding my breath that this is a playoff team this year. Looks like another classic Jeff Fisher 8-8 season on the horizon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Was a tough year to make such a big play for the first pick. Goff looked great in college but is a huge question mark in Fisher's style of offense. Wentz has all the tools and played in the right system but against... Who? After that there's no one.

Big, big gamble to make this year. Got to be some pressure behind the scenes to make a splash with the move to LA and given recent mediocre results from the Rams' management/coaching staff.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Was a tough year to make such a big play for the first pick. Goff looked great in college but is a huge question mark in Fisher's style of offense. Wentz has all the tools and played in the right system but against... Who? After that there's no one.

Big, big gamble to make this year. Got to be some pressure behind the scenes to make a splash with the move to LA and given recent mediocre results from the Rams' management/coaching staff.
Definitely a lot of pressure to succeed with the move to LA, and I almost think Goff is being set up as a sacrificial lamb. If he's good right out of the gate, management look like geniuses. If he struggles making the transition they can say he's young and changing systems so he (and therefore the coaching staff) needs more time. If he doesn't set the world on fire right away, by the time they figure out whether he can actually be an NFL QB, Fisher and Snead will likely have re-upped with new contracts and they can draft a new QB and preach patience.

I have to also think they wanted Goff because he looks the part of an LA sports star. Wentz is a ginger from North Dakota. Goff is a Cali kid with movie star looks. He was easily the best choice for "face of the franchise" and it was a foregone conclusion that the Rams weren't going to bring a team to LA who just picked an offensive tackle, or even a wide receiver when they desperately needed a QB. They could get one in the later rounds, but I think they wanted to start out their LA residency with a signal caller straight out of central casting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm just happy the Cards don't have to go to St. Louis every year now. Good luck to the Rams with Goff though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love Hard Knocks.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Feels weird to call a 4th quarter scrub comeback in the first preseason game where your starters did nothing a "big win", but that's still what it felt like.

I don't get though why Goff doesn't start the 2nd half. Is the guy you traded away everything for your future or is Sean Mannion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:Feels weird to call a 4th quarter scrub comeback in the first preseason game where your starters did nothing a "big win", but that's still what it felt like.

I don't get though why Goff doesn't start the 2nd half. Is the guy you traded away everything for your future or is Sean Mannion?
ESPN article from Sunday said he was a little dinged up. Sore non-throwing shoulder.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Puerco wrote:
Chicat wrote:Feels weird to call a 4th quarter scrub comeback in the first preseason game where your starters did nothing a "big win", but that's still what it felt like.

ESPN article from Sunday said he was a little dinged up. Sore non-throwing shoulder.
Goff got annihilated. Text book hit, had no idea it was coming.

Dak looked amazing!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

God this team is horrible. And they don't have next year's first round pick. They should have this years #1 for a WR.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Going to be a struggle for this team to reach Jeff Fisher Championship Level*.

*8-8
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Display of futility on the offensive side of the ball when the other team loads the box and you can't complete more than 50% of your passes.

Display of futility on the defensive side when you only touch the opposing newbie quarterback one single time all game.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Geez, how bad must Jared Goff be to not even be dressing out behind a qb as bad as Keenum?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Macho Grande wrote:Geez, how bad must Jared Goff be to not even be dressing out behind a qb as bad as Keenum?
Goff hasn't taken a snap under center or huddled up and called plays since Pop Warner. So there's going to be a learning curve there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3-1 after going two games without a TD and beating Seattle at home and Arizona on the road? Yeah, I'll take it...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

How'd you end up a rams fan exactly again?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:How'd you end up a rams fan exactly again?
Lived in LA from '80-'88. My dad had season tickets from '83-'88 and we went to every game. Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater, Leroy Irvin, Nolan Cromwell, Henry Ellard, Jack Youngblood, and Kevin Greene were my childhood heroes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:3-1 after going two games without a TD and beating Seattle at home and Arizona on the road? Yeah, I'll take it...
The defense is really gelling. Quinn, Donald, Ogletree, Barron, Johnson, Gaines, McDonald are all rocking right now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wow, Case Keenum is hot garbage.

Sorry Chi.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

They need to bring Goff along sooner rather than later. Keenum doesn't know what to do in the pocket, and he can't hit a receiver in stride. Ever.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They're going to need to live or die with Goff at this point. Bye next week so they can spin some bullshit about how far along he's come and start him the following week.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You going to get a chance to see any games? Last one I saw was when they visited the Panthers 10 years ago, and I swore off every going to another game in person till they get rid of tv timeouts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:You going to get a chance to see any games? Last one I saw was when they visited the Panthers 10 years ago, and I swore off every going to another game in person till they get rid of tv timeouts.
I live in the Chicago area, and I have season tickets to Bears games, but I give them all away. Too much of a hassle going to the games.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:
Puerco wrote:You going to get a chance to see any games? Last one I saw was when they visited the Panthers 10 years ago, and I swore off every going to another game in person till they get rid of tv timeouts.
I live in the Chicago area, and I have season tickets to Bears games, but I give them all away. Too much of a hassle going to the games.
Yeah, I figured the rams have got to come to Chicago or Indy one of these days soon. For some reason I'm a bigger fan now that they're back in LA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Yeah, I figured the rams have got to come to Chicago or Indy one of these days soon. For some reason I'm a bigger fan now that they're back in LA.
I was close to going to the Detroit game, but had to forego at the last minute.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ok, fire everyone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Does Trump own the Rams?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Apparently it was dead man walking 7-&-9 Jeff Fisher.
Seriously, fire his ass now...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He's got to be the most overrated coach in football.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank the lord. Go get Gruden. At least he's good for a sound byte.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

wasn't he just extended like a week ago?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think an extension was talked about but never consummated.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

More Harbaugh to the Rams talk.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... ar-AAlqEC0" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm in.

In other news... Michigan mass suicide?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

C'mon...Jim Mora!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck no.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harbaugh would be fun, but you'd think he's learned his lesson.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:Harbaugh would be fun, but you'd think he's learned his lesson.
He wouldn't be the first coach to coach in the NFL, go to college, then back to the NFL.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just can't imagine how much that hurts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NFL stat of the year.

Rams total offense: 4203 yards (passing and rushing)
Rams punting: 4680 yards