Nick Foles

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Nick Foles

Post by rgdeuce »

Reydituto wrote:
Sanchez's stretch run was much worse than either of Foles' tenures and directly led to the Eagles missing the playoffs. I would also point out that Foles never benefitted from a healthy (or capable, some would argue) Eagles' OL.

I think in the right system, with good pieces around him, that Foles can take a team deep into the playoffs, and that he's a better QB than you think Deuce. I am not convinced the Rams provide all of that. But I find it odd that on one hand, people can say Chip Kelly's system was responsible for Foles' success, and out of the other side of their mouths say Foles wasn't a "good fit" for Kelly's system. Can't really have it both ways. Either he was a good QB despite being a bad fit, or he was a better fit for a system that amplified his skills than some would actually admit, despite not being that good a QB on the whole (which I think is a much less tenable position).
The eagles had a great offensive line regardless of their injuries and I had seen this brought up before. I double checked my go to analysis site which measured the eagles O line as best in 2013 and second best in 2014. You don't need a great o-line in Kelly's system regardless.

I'm not ripping on Foles, it is great to have a big name game at a sexy NFL position from Arizona. I just do not think he is a top 15 quarterback in the league. There was A LOT of talk saying he was much more than that. And Sanchez was not the reason the Eagles missed the playoffs. If the Seahawks were the best team in the NFC last year, the Cowboys were not that far behind. Foles wouldn't have gotten that team past the Cowboys. I pointed out the Eagles easy schedule when Foles took over in 2013. His 2014 campaign wasn't that brutal either, tough games being at Indy (win), at san fran (loss), at Arizona (loss), 6-2 record. Sanchez was 4-4 but had to finish with at Green Bay, at Dallas, Seattle, Dallas, four tough games (caught Carolina before they got hot) and he finished with a better QBR than Foles did.

And you can still not be a great fit for an offense (I said the best fit i think) and benefit from the system. Kelly has historically made quarterbacks look great during his college career, think of all the guys that absolutely beasted at Oregon (even after he left) whose success there doesn't translate to success elsewhere, or guys not even being presented the opportunity because scouts know why they had success to begin with. I don't think Mariota would be all that great in the NFL, but I think he will be a pro-bowler if he ends up w the eagles.

I think Foles will be alright with the Rams. It is certainly an upgrade over what they have had in recent years taking into account their injury issues at QB. I just dont think he will be a huge upgrade. The Rams success is based on a power running game and defense. If Foles plays his lane and the playcalling limits his throws, I can see them improving and MAYBE contending for a playoff spot with some big breaks and the Cardinals health and luck failing. Foles needs to be an Alex Smith pre-Reid, with an advantage being he isn't completely scared out of his mind to throw a pass longer than 10 yards. Manage the game, be accurate with the short balls, and be able to take advantage of a big play action play when it presents itself. I think anything else though and he is going to get eaten alive in that division.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I can see Foles working elsewhere. Always though it weird that he played for Kelly. Can't see Bradford working in Philly. Must be another shoe to drop.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd be surprised if Bradford is there when it's all said and done.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hear what you're saying Deuce, and I remember you saying it at TOS, but just like then I disagree. With all the scouting and tape to be had on plays, tendencies, etc, it does not take a season+ to figure out the weaknesses in an offensive system. Foles' 2013 was magical. Not sure why you're looking for reasons to try and take that away from him.

Anyway, I'm psyched the Rams got him. They should also take a QB in this draft (3rd/4th rounder) and hopefully get a guy like Amari Cooper in the first round. That would get their offense developing in the right direction.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I'm surprised to hear Bradford on his big contract and propensity to get hurt has any trade value.

I was particularly surprised to find the value was for a qb as good as foles with still one year left on his contract at about 700k.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:I'm surprised to hear Bradford on his big contract and propensity to get hurt has any trade value.

I was particularly surprised to find the value was for a qb as good as foles with still one year left on his contract at about 700k.
Rams fleeced the Eagles. Love it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:I'm surprised to hear Bradford on his big contract and propensity to get hurt has any trade value.

I've read in two separate places that the Eagles also sent some kind of draft compensation as well, but nobody is mentioning exactly what it is as far as I can tell
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:

The only thing that makes sense is if Kelly already has something else lined up.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Case Keenum was also traded for by St. Louis. Fisher is getting desperate for a QB play this year to save his job
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Uh, Fisher's job is not in jeopardy. Les Snead is stockpiling QBs because they didn't have any.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

The only thing that makes sense is if Kelly already has something else lined up.
I kinda agree with you that there has to be another shoe to drop, but what would it be? It's not clear Bradford has any trade value. If he does its small and probably less than Foles' trade value.

We will see how Chip ends up working this out, but if he ends up with a Bradford/Sanchez training camp fight for the Eagles qb spot he's probably going to have some questions to answer from philly fans.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is weird.
In addition to Foles, the Rams will also get Philadelphia's fourth-round pick in 2015 and second-round pick in 2016. The Eagles will get St. Louis' fifth-round pick in 2015 in addition to Bradford.

The Eagles can also pick up a conditional pick in 2016 based on how many snaps Bradford takes. If Bradford plays less than 50 percent the Eagles will get a 4th-round pick, if he does not play at all it becomes a 3rd-rounder. If Bradford plays more than 50 percent of snaps the Eagles will not receive any additional compensation.
Chip getting ripped in the comments.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can anyone tell me why a first time NFL head coach has so much influence on player personnel decisions?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The Eagles sent a fourth in 2015 and a second in 2016?

Oooooooook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

rgdeuce wrote:
Reydituto wrote:
Sanchez's stretch run was much worse than either of Foles' tenures and directly led to the Eagles missing the playoffs. I would also point out that Foles never benefitted from a healthy (or capable, some would argue) Eagles' OL.

I think in the right system, with good pieces around him, that Foles can take a team deep into the playoffs, and that he's a better QB than you think Deuce. I am not convinced the Rams provide all of that. But I find it odd that on one hand, people can say Chip Kelly's system was responsible for Foles' success, and out of the other side of their mouths say Foles wasn't a "good fit" for Kelly's system. Can't really have it both ways. Either he was a good QB despite being a bad fit, or he was a better fit for a system that amplified his skills than some would actually admit, despite not being that good a QB on the whole (which I think is a much less tenable position).
The eagles had a great offensive line regardless of their injuries and I had seen this brought up before. I double checked my go to analysis site which measured the eagles O line as best in 2013 and second best in 2014. You don't need a great o-line in Kelly's system regardless.

I'm not ripping on Foles, it is great to have a big name game at a sexy NFL position from Arizona. I just do not think he is a top 15 quarterback in the league. There was A LOT of talk saying he was much more than that. And Sanchez was not the reason the Eagles missed the playoffs. If the Seahawks were the best team in the NFC last year, the Cowboys were not that far behind. Foles wouldn't have gotten that team past the Cowboys. I pointed out the Eagles easy schedule when Foles took over in 2013. His 2014 campaign wasn't that brutal either, tough games being at Indy (win), at san fran (loss), at Arizona (loss), 6-2 record. Sanchez was 4-4 but had to finish with at Green Bay, at Dallas, Seattle, Dallas, four tough games (caught Carolina before they got hot) and he finished with a better QBR than Foles did.

And you can still not be a great fit for an offense (I said the best fit i think) and benefit from the system. Kelly has historically made quarterbacks look great during his college career, think of all the guys that absolutely beasted at Oregon (even after he left) whose success there doesn't translate to success elsewhere, or guys not even being presented the opportunity because scouts know why they had success to begin with. I don't think Mariota would be all that great in the NFL, but I think he will be a pro-bowler if he ends up w the eagles.

I think Foles will be alright with the Rams. It is certainly an upgrade over what they have had in recent years taking into account their injury issues at QB. I just dont think he will be a huge upgrade. The Rams success is based on a power running game and defense. If Foles plays his lane and the playcalling limits his throws, I can see them improving and MAYBE contending for a playoff spot with some big breaks and the Cardinals health and luck failing. Foles needs to be an Alex Smith pre-Reid, with an advantage being he isn't completely scared out of his mind to throw a pass longer than 10 yards. Manage the game, be accurate with the short balls, and be able to take advantage of a big play action play when it presents itself. I think anything else though and he is going to get eaten alive in that division.
First, I'm not buying any analytics that says Philly was a Top 2 OL in the last two seasons. What site do you use? Show me.

Second, cite all the season-long stats you want, Johnson was suspended for the first 4 of Foles 8 starts, Kelce (played the game Foles got injured) and Mathis (played the next week with Sanchez) missed all but one game of Foles' 2014 season. There is NO WAY the Eagles OL was a Top 2 OL while Foles was healthy with those three guys out. I watched 6 of Foles 8 games in 2014, and the OL was piecemeal at best while Foles was playing, and while they may have gotten healthy and improved during Sanchez's tenure, that doesn't mean Foles was playing behind a "great" OL. Maybe Sanchez was though, by the time they all got healthy (and only missed Herremans) - that only underscores my point about Foles.

Third, I think Foles is a Top 16 QB when healthy - now maybe that's 14th, 15th or 16th - which means he's average for an NFL starter with upside due to his youth. Whoever was saying he was Top 5 or Top 10, they're wrong - at least for now - but that's not my concern.

Fourth, Sanchez was as big a reason as anyone for the Eagles missing the playoffs. Does the Washington game ring any bells? His turnovers were catastrophic in that game (Foles beat Washington BTW). Dallas was a good football team (I watched every game they played), but not a great football team, and the Eagles split with them, including a boat race on Thanksgiving. Sanchez also had Washington, Tennessee, NY Giants, and the NFC South's Creme De la Crap, Carolina. Cite QBR, cite passer rating, cite alleged scheduling discrepancies (last I checked, Indy went as far as Green Bay in the playoffs, and that Arizona team was as good as any in the NFL before Palmer's injury, so the schedules were on par with each other as far as I'm concerned), it doesn't prove your contention that Foles isn't the QB others think he is, or that Sanchez was any sort of upgrade when he folded like a cheap tent down the stretch - especially when in the same position the year before, Foles shined.

Fifth, what Kelly did in college against college competition has NO bearing on whether his system props up NFL QBs against NFL competition. That aside, you can't say Foles benefits from a "system" for which he is not a "great fit". That logic does not compute; Any system would benefit a QB that is a great fit for that system despite average overall ability, but if he's a less-than-great fit, that system wouldn't benefit him. So again, you're trying to have it both ways. Which is it? Choose: Foles benefits from a system he fits, or Foles is a good QB despite bad fit with the system? You can't have both. I choose good QB.

Sixth, I disagree with the idea that Foles has to just be a game manager, or the idea that is all he will ever become. Alex Smith is a bad analog for Foles, they are completely different quarterbacks, from their skill set to their approach. Maybe with the Rams this year, he'll have to do some of that, because the offensive personnel isn't up to par, but I believe if you put a good OL in front of him, surround him with a reliable rushing attack and a WR corps with at least one legitimate deep threat, he can actually win games for an NFL team, not just "not lose" them.

Finally, as far as that division goes, I think its best days are behind them from a cyclical perspective. I don't expect San Fran to bounce back, and Arizona has a ton of question marks. Seattle will still be Seattle, but St. Louis was frisky in that division last year with the crap they had to line up on offense. I expect them to be even friskier with Foles and some other offensive reinforcements.

Look, I think our assessments on him aren't diametrically opposed. I remember what you said on TOS and posted my disagreement with it then just as I do now. I just don't see the need to tear him down as much as you have. I think the Rams got the far better end of this deal. But as with all things, we shall see.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fantastic rebuttal councilor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm a Rams fan and I'm ecstatic. The thought of them rolling out Bradford's rotting corpse was filling me with as much nausea as my other team trotting out the Ghost of Jay Cutler for another year of smirks and not giving any fucks.

From what I've seen from those that follow the Eagles closely both as fans and journalists, there is no one calling this an upgrade at the position and most are outright pissed that Foles won't be in an Eagles uniform. Barring them getting Winston or Mariota, most fans are not going to be happy.

For Bradford, I think if he can trust his knee and try and be a little mobile, he might do alright. But blowing out the same ACL two years running has to be weighing heavy on his mind. Like if he has to move the pocket, will it just crumple again?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not trying to tear down Foles at all guys.. If we all agree he is not a top 10 quarterback and his 2013 was just the perfect storm, then I really don't have much further to say or debate on this. At the time when I made my comment at TOS, there was A LOT of talk by many people, there, in the office, around town, on sports talk radio, etc. about his being this almost Brady-like diamond in the rough (albeit drafted much higher than Brady). Watching every one of his games at Arizona and most of his games that 2013 season, I disagreed. It may seem like I am tearing him down cuz he is one of our own, but that simply wasn't the intent then or no.

You still don't see how a guy can not be the best fit for a system but still benefit from the very same system. What quarterback does not benefit from having a bunch of athletes, a hurry-up scheme, with the complex and high-efficiency passing routes, at the very least, statistic wise. You are going to rack up gaudy numbers. The best fit for Kellys system is a mobile qb who is accurate inside 15. Foles gives you one of those, but he still benefits from the system. Hell, I remember at Arizona when everyone was saying our scheme was built for a player like Matt Scott. Scott lost the job and the rest is history. Foles greatly flourished under that system. Bubble screens, dumpoffs to the backs, quick slants. That does wonders for your completion percentage, while our athletes racked up the RYAC. The one thing that drove me mad in that system was not keeping defenses honest with enough deep balls to keep the safeties back, and the times we did that, Foles was overthrowing guys. His deep ball has greatly improved now, so I am eating my words there, as that was what I considered a huge flaw before he was drafted.

Agree to disagree, since our differences are minute, we just view things differently to get there.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Foles is ecstatic to be out of Philly.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fantastic rebuttal councilor.
Thank you Good Doctor.
rgdeuce wrote:Not trying to tear down Foles at all guys.. If we all agree he is not a top 10 quarterback and his 2013 was just the perfect storm, then I really don't have much further to say or debate on this. At the time when I made my comment at TOS, there was A LOT of talk by many people, there, in the office, around town, on sports talk radio, etc. about his being this almost Brady-like diamond in the rough (albeit drafted much higher than Brady). Watching every one of his games at Arizona and most of his games that 2013 season, I disagreed. It may seem like I am tearing him down cuz he is one of our own, but that simply wasn't the intent then or no.

You still don't see how a guy can not be the best fit for a system but still benefit from the very same system. What quarterback does not benefit from having a bunch of athletes, a hurry-up scheme, with the complex and high-efficiency passing routes, at the very least, statistic wise. You are going to rack up gaudy numbers. The best fit for Kellys system is a mobile qb who is accurate inside 15. Foles gives you one of those, but he still benefits from the system. Hell, I remember at Arizona when everyone was saying our scheme was built for a player like Matt Scott. Scott lost the job and the rest is history. Foles greatly flourished under that system. Bubble screens, dumpoffs to the backs, quick slants. That does wonders for your completion percentage, while our athletes racked up the RYAC. The one thing that drove me mad in that system was not keeping defenses honest with enough deep balls to keep the safeties back, and the times we did that, Foles was overthrowing guys. His deep ball has greatly improved now, so I am eating my words there, as that was what I considered a huge flaw before he was drafted.

Agree to disagree, since our differences are minute, we just view things differently to get there.
It's a matter of degree.

You saying he's not a Top 10 QB, and me saying he's a Top 16 QB, suggests their could be an overlap in our opinions, but everything else you say leads me to believe there isn't. I can only think of about 14 QBs at most I'd rather have going forward, and 4 of them are nearing the end of their careers (Brady, Peyton, Brees, Ben).

I don't think Foles' 2013 was a fluke. Certainly not the "perfect storm" you claim - rather an indication of his ceiling, with the advantage of an offense that opponents hadn't dissected yet (but OTOH 7 games of film from the prior season to scout his tendencies) - and the following year was not necessarily a reversion to the mean either with the injuries along the OL and no DeSean Jackson to tear the lid off the secondary.

To answer your question, 1.) any QB benefits from better athletes at the skill positions, that's not a "system" feature, that's a personnel feature, and 2.) a crappy QB doesn't benefit from any system. It's not like Vick was tearing it up in Kelly's system with all of those athletes. Sanchez sure as hell didn't put up gaudy numbers in Kelly's offense, if anything his performance behind a healthier OL than Foles had in 2014 confirms him to be the mediocre QB I always thought he was.

The rest of your post sounds to me like you're trying to re-litigate the past of Foles' tenure at UA. That has very little to do with his current future prospects as an NFL QB. Any coach is going to put the QB he has in the best position to succeed. Chip Kelly didn't make Foles run every play in his playbook, he catered to his strengths as best he could, but that does not translate to the idea that Foles benefited from a "system" - he was a good, talented QB who benefited from game planning. I think he needs to work on his accuracy, and his ball security, but he has all the other tools needed to succeed.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Foles will be an asset to St. Louis. The only thing I hate about the trade is now I will have to root against him. Philadelphia will surely miss him.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Irish27 wrote:Foles is ecstatic to be out of Philly.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs
who the hell wouldn't be.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

A puzzling trade gets even more puzzling.
The St. Louis Rams made a headline grabbing trade earlier this offseason, sending former starting quarterback Sam Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles along with draft pick consideration. While Foles is expected to step in for St. Louis under center, head coach Jeff Fisher revealed that the team still plans to take a new signal caller in the draft, according to NFL.com.

"It's our intention to draft [a quarterback]," Fisher said during the annual NFL owners meeting this week. "The Nick trade has no bearing over what we do in the draft."
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/27/8 ... -nfl-draft

The reporter needed to ask some follow up questions, like "You mean you are planning on drafting a QB with the tenth pick in the first round, or in a later round (more like a developmental/second string type guy)?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:A puzzling trade gets even more puzzling.
The St. Louis Rams made a headline grabbing trade earlier this offseason, sending former starting quarterback Sam Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles along with draft pick consideration. While Foles is expected to step in for St. Louis under center, head coach Jeff Fisher revealed that the team still plans to take a new signal caller in the draft, according to NFL.com.

"It's our intention to draft [a quarterback]," Fisher said during the annual NFL owners meeting this week. "The Nick trade has no bearing over what we do in the draft."
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/27/8 ... -nfl-draft

The reporter needed to ask some follow up questions, like "You mean you are planning on drafting a QB with the tenth pick in the first round, or in a later round (more like a developmental/second string type guy)?"
Nick allows them to pick later and develop. If Nick is awesome, they either trade the kid or cut him if he sucks. Without Nick they were almost certain to have to take a QB in the first or second round. Now they can use those picks on other areas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just don't see it.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:Nick allows them to pick later and develop. If Nick is awesome, they either trade the kid or cut him if he sucks. Without Nick they were almost certain to have to take a QB in the first or second round. Now they can use those picks on other areas.
A follow up question on that might be warranted as the article seems to imply they are looking at QBs with the tenth pick in the draft. But Fisher says...
"The Nick trade has no bearing over what we do in the draft."
If it's all BS smokescreen then ok. But if they were actually going to take a QB with the 10 pick, then taking the time to trade for Nick, then saying trading for Nick effects nothing in that process...well that seems a bit strange. Were they always planning on taking a qb at 10? And again if it's like you say, they are going to take someone towards the end of the draft and develop them and they were going to do that whether Sam or Nick was their starter that makes more sense, and a quick follow up question could answer that oddness.

But as mentioned they seem to be implying the Rams will take a qb at 10, and that makes this entire trade/thought process/comments made by Fisher somewhat odd. Or at least it feels odd to me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In truth, all the Foles trade truly cost them was the time to work out the details, but they don't need to take a QB there. If I had to guess, they shopped their pick and didn't like what they were hearing, but they want to get some of the teams behind them interested in moving up to get Mariota or Winston if he falls.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Haha, Eagles sign Tebow.

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Will be interesting to see if he is gonna be there as only a QB or if they can convince him to play some H-Back or a split out TE. If a QB that is basically taking up a roster spot that someone else should have.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13396 ... 017-season
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... gs-to-know
2. Guaranteed money. The important part for Foles is the guaranteed money and that number comes in at "just under $14 million," according to FoxSports.com. If that's the true guarantee, then Foles will get almost as much in guaranteed money as Peyton Manning this year.
Well done Mr. Foles!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PieceOfMeat wrote:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13396 ... 017-season
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... gs-to-know
2. Guaranteed money. The important part for Foles is the guaranteed money and that number comes in at "just under $14 million," according to FoxSports.com. If that's the true guarantee, then Foles will get almost as much in guaranteed money as Peyton Manning this year.
Well done Mr. Foles!
The Rams must like what they see, which is great. And what amounts to a 2 year, $24.5M extension with $14M guaranteed is fantastic.

And he becomes a free agent again at age 28, a great age to be a QB free agent if you're playing well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Provides a lot of flexibility for both sides no matter how he plays. This is the antithesis of the Rams previous QB situation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I see you Nick Foles: 10/13 148 yards with an anemic running attack of 15 rushes for 42 yards

And most importantly, a 17-13 lead over Seattle midway through the 3rd
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

17/25 for 275 yards a td and a rushing td
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Crazy start to overtime. Fair catch on an onside kick. Never have seen that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Did Seattle just try an onsides kick to start overtime?

I couldn't be reading that correctly...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes they did and Foles just beat Sherman on a beautiful pass to put them in FG range
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

BIG DICK NICK
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

First game in a Rams' uniform is a home win against Seattle? Not too shabby.

The stats don't seem to imply that he got much help from his running game (26 attempts, 79 yards) or from his defense (31 points allowed) either.

Nice work Mr. Foles
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Defense played like the Cats, bend don't break. They got some much needed sacks when it counted. They really chumped it up in the third quarter though. The turnovers also did not help.

Also keep in mind when the Rams and Seahawks play, grab your popcorn cause that game is always gonna be fuckin balls to the wall for some reason.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

SCCats wrote:First game in a Rams' uniform is a home win against Seattle? Not too shabby.

The stats don't seem to imply that he got much help from his running game (26 attempts, 79 yards) or from his defense (31 points allowed) either.

Nice work Mr. Foles
Thats why u cant just look at numbers.

His running back had 80 yards receiving and despite clamping down on him late, he was killing Seattle in the first half rushing the ball and the reason they won that game. Foles threw a couple nice balls, that pass over sherman in OT, and a third and 15 conversion late in the fourth. His game tying TD at the end of regulation came against Chancellors backup, who tripped over his own feet and fell. He had three or four 20 plus yard passes to Jared Cook and one to another receiver on broken coverage, guys wide open. Foles probably had 290 yards or so and probably 200 of those were YAC from seattles inability to tackle in the open field, a guy falling down and two new DB's who werent even close to being on the same page as Sherman and Thomas. Seattle killed foles when they sent pressure w more than just their front four, im guessing the only reason they held back was worry over their secondary. At one point they were bringin sherman to cover Cook in man coverage thats how bad things were

His defense played great, seattles points on the board are largely thanks to a punt return, a fumble recovery for a touchdown, and Foles center snapping when foles wasnt looking deep in their own territory. Seattle had the ball twice in the rams 10 in the first half and they clamped down. Rams front seven tore up the seahawks terrible line. Lynch had a few big runs but was otherwise shutdown. Wilson couldnt hit a man over 15 yards because he was sacked and hurried all game. Rams already had a thin secondary that got thinner w injury but it made no difference.

Foles was competent, didnt make mistakes (neither of the two fumbled were his fault) and is definitely going to be an upgrade to what the Rams had, but Seattle was bad today. The score doesnt reflect how poorly they played and most playoff teams would have mopped the floor with them and the Rams easily could have won that game by three possessions
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just to counter RGD's takedown of Nick above, here is the opposite perspective. Nick was actually really really good in that game...
Foles completed 6 of 9 passes on third down, averaging 10.67 yards per attempt. His touchdown pass to Kendricks came on a third-and-five play from the Seattle 37. His third-down passer rating: a slick 139.1.

Foles went 3 for 3 Sunday when the Rams faced third down and 11+ yards to go.

In the fourth quarter, with the score within seven points (either way), Foles connected on 7 of 11 passes for 127 yards, averaging 11.55 yards per attempt. That included his critical game-tying fastball to the wide open Kendricks.

The situation was bleak for the Rams after the Seahawks went ahead 31-24 on the strip-fumble and TD return by cornerback Cary Williams with 4:39 remaining in the fourth Q.

Foles was undeterred.

He responded.

Again.

“Oh man, that’s big bro,” Austin said. “He comes in the huddle, he takes charge of the huddle, lets us know what he wants. You know, he always tells us that adversity is going to come. It’s all how we’re going to fight back and that’s what we did.”

What was it like on the STL sideline after Williams raced into the end zone with that fumble return that pushed the Rams to the brink of defeat?

Austin’s view: “We were on the sideline just screaming ‘It’s definitely not over.’ We believe in (Foles) and he believes in us. On the field, him and Lance hooked up on a good go route. And that’s how it was.”

After doing his part to rescue the Rams on Sunday, Foles is 16-9 as an NFL starter.

And add this one to the Foles File: with Sunday’s rally, Foles has five fourth-quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his career. That’s in only 25 starts.
Definitely a piece worth reading...

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/14/in- ... was-money/