NFL Draft 2019

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

NFL Draft 2019

Post by ASUHATER! »

So Cardinals tweet out something that Josh Rosen is their guy and then take Murray anyway.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Re: NFL Draft 2019

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:So Cardinals tweet out something that Josh Rosen is their guy and then take Murray anyway.
Well, one of them is definitely getting traded...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You'd think... unless they are really dumb

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The Cards were going to take N'Keal Harry with the first pick tomorrow and the Pats grabbed him at #32.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Cards gonna Card
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Cards gonna Card
Not trading Rosen and then taking Murray anyway is a really sweet way to fuck your organization in the ass.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

So many positions of need for the Cards...EXCEPT QB...and what do they draft?

Yeah, same old Cardinals. Because pro sports management in Phoenix is the stupidest of the stupid.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Rosen traded to Fins but for #62
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:Rosen traded to Fins but for #62
Straight up? A first round QB for a 62nd pick?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
Nope, the Dolphins also get the Card's 5th round pick in 2020.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Glad I asked.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Glad I asked.
Apparently there's a correction. The Cards also get Miami's 2020 5th round pick and not the other way around.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:

Buy high, sell low
-JB
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I didn’t want them to trade Rosen.

That said, and I get this will sound hometown...

I like they are aligning a strategy to their new coach, and skill to his system.

Their depth at WR is real nice. They selected three Defensive players that should make an impact, two with starters upside.

Their late round OL selections are complete wild cards, but each was graded as earlier picks.

I would have liked an elite upside DT or OL in first three rounds. But I get why they did what they did.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

JMarkJohns wrote:I didn’t want them to trade Rosen.

I like they are aligning a strategy to their new coach, and skill to his system.

Their depth at WR is real nice. They selected three Defensive players that should make an impact, two with starters upside.

Their late round OL selections are complete wild cards, but each was graded as earlier picks.

I would have liked an elite upside DT or OL in first three rounds. But I get why they did what they did.
Good points. At least they're seemingly going all in on making the new coach and the system have the best shot at succeeding.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The worst part is the Cards already paid his signing bonus - they basically just gave a #10 pick the previous year away for free to another team. If it was for some legendary coach who wanted to bring his own guy in, maybe I can see it. For a guy like Kingsbury who was basically a very good college offensive coordinator and a bad head coach, with zero NFL experience?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

MrBug708 wrote:

The worst part is the Cards already paid his signing bonus - they basically just gave a #10 pick the previous year away for free to another team. If it was for some legendary coach who wanted to bring his own guy in, maybe I can see it. For a guy like Kingsbury who was basically a very good college offensive coordinator and a bad head coach, with zero NFL experience?
Yeah... Miami gets him for like 6 million total next three years.

But to me, you have to have a plan. It may not always work, but having an agenda and sticking to it is better than winging it.

I thought they had a great draft.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Drafting two QBs in consecutive years with the #10 and then #1 pick strikes me as an organization with absolutely no plan.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

There is a plan...it's called a re-plan. ;)
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:Drafting two QBs in consecutive years with the #10 and then #1 pick strikes me as an organization with absolutely no plan.
Rosen wasn’t the problem.

But he wasn’t viewed as as ideal a solution . He had limitations. And his best last year was pretty awful at times. That said, the Cardinals failed him. The coach was awful, the OC was worse, and the OL was amongst the worst in franchise history, which doesn’t exactly have strong history.

But they saw enough to know his upside for this coach wasn’t where they felt Murray’s could be.

Factor in the weapons they added, and you have a coach with his ideal QB and WRs, and a scheme that should bring DJ back into the mix as well.

Plus they added 4 quality Defensive players, including two who had 2nd round grade, and 2 others that had 3rd to 4th grade.

They acquired two linemen with their picks, a proven starter via trade and the C from Georgia who was 1st Team All SEC and ran block for three great RBs. Has G versatility as well.

They are doing well to scheme to the new offense while supplementing what should be a good D.

They have a plan. They selected 11 players and the lowest had a 5th round meta grade.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Talk to Giants fans about not having a plan.

Drafting your franchise QB - a probable 2nd round pick - at #6 while still keeping Eli has a lot of folks scratching their heads.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

EastCoastCat wrote:Talk to Giants fans about not having a plan.

Drafting your franchise QB - a probable 2nd round pick - at #6 while still keeping Eli has a lot of folks scratching their heads.
Could have had Rosen for a 2nd, and drafted two legit 1sts.

Yeesh

Jones gonna cost more money than Rosen, too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Drafting two QBs in consecutive years with the #10 and then #1 pick strikes me as an organization with absolutely no plan.
The thing is they actually now have a plan, while taking the QB at #10 last year was a panic filled move.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I loved the cardinals draft. Obviously it’s awful to lose such value with a top10 pick in Rosen, but as mentioned above a plan is in place now. And if Isabella is a stud it’ll minimize that value loss. The offense should be legit as long as Murray is the real deal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The thing is they actually now have a plan, while taking the QB at #10 last year was a panic filled move.
If I'm a fan, I'm not sure I trust that last year was the panic move and this year wasn't.

As a fan of a rival NFC West team, I'm glad the Cards' rebuild timeline has been pushed back another year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If I'm a fan, I'm not sure I trust that last year was the panic move and this year wasn't.

As a fan of a rival NFC West team, I'm glad the Cards' rebuild timeline has been pushed back another year.
I mean last year was botched in so many damn ways that sure there's a bit of panic that's gone into this year, especially for Steve Keim, considering he's been afforded a chance that most GMs would never be afforded knowing it's his last chance. The difference is though there is a plan, while last year the "plan" was to hire a DC who runs a different type of defense than your personnel would dictate, forced them to run that defense, and then hiring an OC with head coaching experience whose offense hasn't been good since the stone ages, and oh yeah let's draft a QB after giving Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon bundles of money for some reason.

Sure there's panic to a certain extent, but at least there's a plan and if the draft and free agency is any indication it actually makes sense this time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

The Cards rebuilding has been going on for decades now. Last year's draft, this year's draft and next year's draft won't change that.