Writer takes shots at Nick Foles

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Writer takes shots at Nick Foles

Post by Irish27 »

All I can say is Buzz Bissinger is one little pussy. Nick didn't do an interview for him and he acted like a little b*tch. Here is the article.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/nick- ... s-profile/
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Catstatic

Re: Writer takes shots at Nick Foles

Post by Catstatic »

The comments section tears the writer apart. Philly fans know what they have. This kid is a stone-cold QB who simply destroys defenses. Way to go, Nick! Not bad for our first NFL starting QB, eh?

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That article was terrible. What was with all the racial crap? Bissinger acts like Foles has never seen a Black person before.

And I swear every time I see something he's written there's a reference to Friday Night Lights. Congrats Buzz on writing one good book and an article that should be printed on toilet paper and sent to a local prison.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don't think I have ever read such a vindictive piece of shit like that before. Unreal
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Past Friday Foles addressed the article:
Rather than shoot back at Bissinger – for an article many believe to shed a slightly negative light on the QB – Foles took the eventual follow-up question in stride, again stating his case for not being interviewed, and showing the maturity of an NFL quarterback that he was trying to show in the first place – by not being interviewed.

The assessment many believe Bissinger made in the story – that Foles will struggle to be successful as an NFL player if he continues to decline the spotlight - is maybe the only thing that got to the third-year quarterback.

“I don’t agree with it,” Foles said. “I think as a quarterback and a leader, it’s not necessarily what you do in the limelight. Obviously, you want guys handling themselves in an appropriate manner for the organization and the team, but you need to be who you are. If you’re a guy who does that and can be a leader and naturally that’s what you want to do, awesome.

“If I were to go and do that, it’s out of my norm. I’m a laid-back Texas boy. I love my family, love being with them and that’s what I stick to. I love the game of football, love getting better. My teammates know me and I show them who I am in the locker room and don’t change on the field.

“I’m the same guy everywhere they see me.”
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014 ... urity.html

Know a local Philly news station (actually it was philly.com) wrote a piece defending Foles and bashing Bissinger a week ago or so. I'll post
if I can find it again. (Cartoonist depiction of Buissinger)

Noted Philly writer and lover of himself Buzz Bissinger wrote the cover story in this month's Philadelphia Magazine about Nick Foles.
What did we learn? Two words: not much...You don't need to read too far down into this profile to realize what it is. Bissinger was salivating for a story, got denied an interview with the Eagles quarterback, then spent the next few dozens of paragraphs reminding you he wrote Friday Night Lights and painting Foles as a boring "chickenshit."
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/tail ... y-Mag.html
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Buzz Bissinger is the chickenshit. Good to see enough people have seen through that thin veil.

Too bad really, I used to enjoy his writing ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

WTF, talk about a hatchet job. Even an unbiased reader should be able to see thru Bissinger's butt-hurtness in that one.

Nick is living life the right way. All you can do is be honest and be yourself. Because especially as an NFL QB, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't - if he did what Bissinger says, there would be ten more articles telling Foles to stop partying, shut his mouth, and give the team the credit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pokinmik wrote:WTF, talk about a hatchet job. Even an unbiased reader should be able to see thru Bissinger's butt-hurtness in that one.

Nick is living life the right way. All you can do is be honest and be yourself. Because especially as an NFL QB, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't - if he did what Bissinger says, there would be ten more articles telling Foles to stop partying, shut his mouth, and give the team the credit.
It would also be so incredibly fake.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

They guy went on a rant on the DP show about Foles and his refusal to do the story. Then he admitted that he was pissed and basically wrote the article because he was butthurt.

If you wanna hate the guy more, have a listen:

http://www.danpatrick.com/dan-patrick-archive/
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

While Bissinger was petty, and obviously disappointed that he couldn't make Nick's story an extension of his own (past and faded) glory of "Friday Night Lights", I thought there was a lot of positive about Nick in the article - actually surprised me how, as the article progressed, the initial snarkiness faded, and a very positive portrait of Nick emerged....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

In the one sense, I get Bissinger's point that he's the Friday Night Lights guy, Nick was a Friday Night Lights Texas HS standout and he's been commissioned to write this big cover feature for the city's super glossy flagship magazine about their new NFL QB phenom's background, which all makes a nice tidy little journalistic package, and he's salty that Nick won't talk to him. As a journalist he's gagging on Nick's cliched deference to the team and not wanting to step into the spotlight alone. I can understand the frustration to a point. It clearly hurts his article to lose the personal interview and one on one. He has to come up with another angle.

So he takes the angry low road and essentially paints Nick as a soft white entitled rich pussy throughout much of the article while lacing it with just enough facts about Nick's career and character so as not to appear too bent. Yet he concludes by calling him out as "chickenshit."

"But unless he stops being chickenshit and goes into the middle, he will never guide the Eagles to the place that only tantalizes us. We are tired, Nick. We are already dependent on you. So man up to be the man."

(. . . and be a prick, and go out drinking and clubbing, and drawing attention to yourself and taking the credit and the spotlight because otherwise you look like a pussy . . . even though we as a sports society are supposedly sick of that shit and would vilify you for it in the media if you did . . .) It's a no win situation.

Pretty unbelievable - Nick's not manning up and he's chicken shit because Nick won't talk to him?! Or maybe . . . he's demonstrating quiet humble leadership.

Interesting that there aren't any quotes from any Eagles, Chip or anyone in the NFL currently associated with him. It's all looking back at his past.

Chris Moore and Brian Jones were talking about this article Monday night on their MOJO radio show on CBSSports. I tuned in late so I didn't get the whole context of what the deal was. I actually called in anyway and got on the air and had a good conversation with Brian Jones about Nick. Talked about how he is a low-key kid, tough, Arizona fan favorite and the first Wildcat QB to play in the NFL since Bill Demory behind Joe Namath in 1963. They liked that tidbit. Told them to check out his last game against the Scum (got that blast in) in 2011 after a timultuous season in which Stoops had been fired. Brian Jones was cool. He brought up all the hoopla about Johnny Manziel contrasting him to a down to earth guy like Nick. It was a fun conversation - I just called in to voice my opinion that Nick's the real deal, a low-key, tough, unassuming guy and one who I believe has a real chance to be one of the great respected ones when it's all said and done, and to give a little Wildcat fan perspective. Now wish I'd seen the article so I could have called it out as the hatchet job that it is.

Bissenger is definitely a good writer. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to remove his own ego from the equation and the task at hand in this instance.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

pc in NM wrote:While Bissinger was petty, and obviously disappointed that he couldn't make Nick's story an extension of his own (past and faded) glory of "Friday Night Lights", I thought there was a lot of positive about Nick in the article - actually surprised me how, as the article progressed, the initial snarkiness faded, and a very positive portrait of Nick emerged....
Yeah, the funny part is that Bissinger's portrayal of Foles was pretty much all positive, his attempt to spin those virtues into criticism is what made him look extraordinarily petty.

He could have easily written that same piece without any of his own opinions and it would have been a pretty solid, informational article.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

pc in NM wrote:While Bissinger was petty, and obviously disappointed that he couldn't make Nick's story an extension of his own (past and faded) glory of "Friday Night Lights", I thought there was a lot of positive about Nick in the article - actually surprised me how, as the article progressed, the initial snarkiness faded, and a very positive portrait of Nick emerged....
The positivity was accidental because the more you realized that Bissinger is a colossal d-bag the more obvious it became that Nick is the opposite, so he must be pretty cool.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Olsondogg wrote:They guy went on a rant on the DP show about Foles and his refusal to do the story. Then he admitted that he was pissed and basically wrote the article because he was butthurt.

Yeah, makes no bones about it really. Several times he said he was absolutely "shocked" that his interview request was denied. Just couldn't get over himself that Nick wasn't into it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:They guy went on a rant on the DP show about Foles and his refusal to do the story. Then he admitted that he was pissed and basically wrote the article because he was butthurt.

Yeah, makes no bones about it really. Several times he said he was absolutely "shocked" that his interview request was denied. Just couldn't get over himself that Nick wasn't into it.
Judging by the other times I've read Bissinger's work and his need to mention "Friday Night Lights" at every turn, I think the guy thinks that he somehow put Texas high school football on the map. Meanwhile, if it wasn't for his cousin Peter Berg making it into a movie, his novel would have been a pretty good sports book that some people read but then never mentioned again.

Hopefully everyone denies requests for interviews from this hack from now on. He can only write so many hit pieces before he's tuned out and not given any more assignments.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Buzz is a total douche canoe. Foles handled the situation with class, and he will keep proving his doubters wrong.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

smh...

Buzz Bissinger flame throwing on Nick Foles again today:
I got negative feedback from everyone,” Bissinger said Monday on the 94WIP Morning Show of his Summer profile on Foles. “I do feel vindicated [now]. I’m owed an apology from the entire city.

He’s a nice kid,” Bissinger continued. “But if we think we are seeing a Super Bowl caliber quarterback, we’re out of our minds. Do you really think it’s going to get better the way he’s played

I’d rather interview the Eagles mascot [than Foles],” Bissinger said. “He has got a timid personality, and anyone who thinks that doesn’t spill over into how you play the game is ridiculous. Look at the way he’s playing now — he’s got no confidence. There is no zip on the way he throws. He is throwing off of his back foot.”
“He’s a chicken,” Bissinger said. “He has a very timid, not aggressive personality. His personality is not going to change. That part will not change. Personality reflects everything you do in life. They go hand in hand.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/1 ... om-philly/
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I feel bad for Buzz. Not only does he have to go around with the name Buzz, but someone with that much hate must really hate life. If it's true that personality reflects everything, what does it say about you and your vendetta?

Anyways, Ofcourse the guy is a waco, while Foles hasn't been lights out he's been good for someone that is always on his back. Go ahead trade Foles for Nothing, there's alot of teams that would love to have him.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Foles needs to get out of Philly. That place is soul crushing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

He's still on this?! What a fucking dick.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jerk. Plain and simple.
Right where I want to be.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

the 3-1 eagles who lost to the niners because they couldn't run block to save their lives? this is somehow Foles' fault? LOL
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

You couldn't pay me enough to be an athlete in Philadelphia.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Heard that guy on the radio back when the article was published. He is a douche.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wtf is this guy's problem
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wtf is this guy's problem
I thought I heard that Nick turned him down for a 1 on 1 interview and the guy got his panties in a bunch.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Wtf is this guy's problem
I thought I heard that Nick turned him down for a 1 on 1 interview and the guy got his panties in a bunch.
Read the article linked in Irish27's OP. That's the whole background right there.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I knew about that article before. I still don't get this guy. Completely lacks any sense of professionalism.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

How dare he turn me down for an interview! Guy needs to get over himself.

Foles has been struggling with his accuracy this year though. Especially anything over 20 yards. Guys are getting open. He's either missing them or flat out not seeing them at all. That 49er game was brutal. I think he got them into 49er territory once the whole game if memory serves me correctly. Something is definitely "off" with him this year. I noticed it even in preseason. Don't know what it is, but his accuracy is just way off. He shows flashes occasionally of the Foles we saw last year, but they've been few and far between. Seems like a mental thing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The Eagles OL is decimated. No one that started last year is currently playing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck Buzz Assinger
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Image
Pretty clear why Nick refused a one on one interview with the guy; would YOU want to be in a room alone with this freak?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Basnight's twin
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:smh...

Buzz Bissinger flame throwing on Nick Foles again today:
I got negative feedback from everyone,” Bissinger said Monday on the 94WIP Morning Show of his Summer profile on Foles. “I do feel vindicated [now]. I’m owed an apology from the entire city.

He’s a nice kid,” Bissinger continued. “But if we think we are seeing a Super Bowl caliber quarterback, we’re out of our minds. Do you really think it’s going to get better the way he’s played

I’d rather interview the Eagles mascot [than Foles],” Bissinger said. “He has got a timid personality, and anyone who thinks that doesn’t spill over into how you play the game is ridiculous. Look at the way he’s playing now — he’s got no confidence. There is no zip on the way he throws. He is throwing off of his back foot.”
“He’s a chicken,” Bissinger said. “He has a very timid, not aggressive personality. His personality is not going to change. That part will not change. Personality reflects everything you do in life. They go hand in hand.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/1 ... om-philly/

An apology?!? How about this: Fuck you Buzz Bissinger. Also, you know next to nothing about football. If you really did, you would understand that any QB - see Tom Brady in New England the last few weeks until last night - will suffer behind a makeshift and poorly performing OL, and his performance to date, as well as your whiny, vindictive complaints about his play, all relate back to the fact he's scrambling for his life behind a porous OL.

And yet, Philly is 4-1, which is the only other thing anyone should have to say. You're still the chickenshit for doubling down on your idiocy and not being able to see through your own ego damage, and if anyone is owed an apology, it's Nick Foles.
CalStateTempe wrote:Foles needs to get out of Philly. That place is soul crushing.
Bissenger is the perfect example of what that city does to your psyche.

My guess, Buzz took him early in his Fantasy draft, and is finding more reasons to be pissed.
Merkin wrote:Image
Not sure what the point of this is, but sure ... Philly won that game 34-28 ...
splitsecond wrote:the 3-1 eagles who lost to the niners because they couldn't run block to save their lives? this is somehow Foles' fault? LOL
Or pass block for that matter. Foles' pocket presence is half the reason Philly can string drives together.
ASUHATER! wrote:I knew about that article before. I still don't get this guy. Completely lacks any sense of professionalism.
He's from Philly.
Macho Grande wrote:How dare he turn me down for an interview! Guy needs to get over himself.

Foles has been struggling with his accuracy this year though. Especially anything over 20 yards. Guys are getting open. He's either missing them or flat out not seeing them at all. That 49er game was brutal. I think he got them into 49er territory once the whole game if memory serves me correctly. Something is definitely "off" with him this year. I noticed it even in preseason. Don't know what it is, but his accuracy is just way off. He shows flashes occasionally of the Foles we saw last year, but they've been few and far between. Seems like a mental thing.
His accuracy is down - 64.0% last season, 59.1% this season - but that's related to the protection in front of him (even Bleacher Report figured this out) as well as the play of his WRs (Cooper's play is down as well, no DJax, no Avant, several dropped passes). The one thing that is up (in a bad way) is turnovers. He took great care of the ball last year, only 4 TOs (2 Int/2 Fum) all of last season in 12 games and 8 TOs (5/3) through 5 games. This year, he seems to be forcing some throws, and otherwise just not carrying the ball properly. Kelly did say Foles is throwing off his back foot too often, but he knows the OL issues are partly to blame - "I think sometimes when it happens, there's a rush, and he's trying to slide to the right or slide to the left, not setting his feet when he slides ... I don't think we had as much pressure last season to be honest with you," said Kelly - and that is a fixable mechanical issue, not the scarlet letter that Bissinger (mistakenly) believes it to be.

Foles takes better care of the ball going forward, and fixes his footwork, he'll be just fine.
CalStateTempe wrote:The Eagles OL is decimated. No one that started last year is currently playing.
Precisely.

Eagles last year had a decent OL, for the first time in years. Lane Johnson came back from suspension and reports were he was decent so that helps. Kelce & Mathis are out until at least Week 10. Things will get better along the OL, and thus for Foles, sooner than later.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Last edited by BearDown89 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

This guy has a virtually no-lose argument, much like most talk radio morons when they spew useless crap. If Philly doesn't win the Superbowl, he is vindicated and the world owes him an apology. Not bad odds, right?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Would love to see Foles have another all-Pro year and shut Bissinger up for good. I look forward to reading about it in the NFL thread.

How about moving this over to the NFL thread since it has nothing to do with how the Wildcats are going to break the Trojans, win the PAC 12 south, and play for a PAC 12 Championship this year?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

It's a big year for Foles. Because of the current CBA/rookie wage scale, Eagles couldn't renegotiate Foles contract after his great season last year. Foles will make a measly $635,000 this year. Foles had a $543k signing bonus in 2012.

Roughly that's 60th in average annual salary among active NFL quarterbacks.

But the CBA allows Eagles to renegotiate Foles contract after 2014 season (Becomes FA 2016). Eagles in strong position to take another year to evaluate Foles. If Foles can remain the starter and produce relatively good QB numbers, he should see a big payday off-season.

Right now given other recent QB contracts (Like Dalton) who had similar 2013 #'s like Foles, had Foles projected to negotiate close to 6 year, $100 million ($45 mil guaranteed) contract. Gonna see relatively quick whether Eagles want Foles or not.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Foles was struggling even before the offensive line injuries this year. And I've seen him make a lot of bad passes this year when he's had plenty of time. For whatever reason, he's just really struggling with his accuracy. One has to wonder if he's missing Bill Lazor, his QB Coach last year who left to take the offensive coordinator job for the Dolphins during the off season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't know where else to put this, but what is with Philly sports reporters and race?

And well done Cooper not taking the bait.