2022 Super Bowl thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2022 Super Bowl thread

Post by Chicat »

People saying the refs gave the game to the Rams are hilarious. Yes they missed a false start on the Rams last TD, but the defensive holding/PI right before that was the right call. The defender wrapped his arm around Kupp’s midsection and turned him. That’s against the rules, I’m sorry. Plus the Rams wouldn’t have needed that last TD if they had called offensive pass interference on Higgins for grabbing Ramsey’s face mask.

Instead of crying they should be giving the Rams and Bengals credit. Joe Burrow overcame 7 sacks and had his team in the lead late. The Rams basically only had Kupp and Jefferson as WRs and no good TEs and yet still engineered a 4th quarter comeback. It was a great game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm
You don't have to be a racist to recognize that as the worst halftime show ever. Complete shit.

FWIW, I didn't say not liking the show was racist, everyone has their own taste in music obviously.

What I said was there are a couple people on my wife's side of the family would have made racist comments when they heard/saw the performers were black. Could be a Suns game, a commercial, a rap performance, doesn't take much. (Those are all real examples).

Of course they probably hate Eminem too so it's not all racial. :D
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:58 am People saying the refs gave the game to the Rams are hilarious. Yes they missed a false start on the Rams last TD, but the defensive holding/PI right before that was the right call. The defender wrapped his arm around Kupp’s midsection and turned him. That’s against the rules, I’m sorry. Plus the Rams wouldn’t have needed that last TD if they had called offensive pass interference on Higgins for grabbing Ramsey’s face mask.

Instead of crying they should be giving the Rams and Bengals credit. Joe Burrow overcame 7 sacks and had his team in the lead late. The Rams basically only had Kupp and Jefferson as WRs and no good TEs and yet still engineered a 4th quarter comeback. It was a great game.
I heard a bit of that last night myself postgame. To be fair, and maybe I'm not in a position to be fair, the biggest beef was the Refs hardly threw any flags the whole game and then the laundry started flying at end of that critical series. But all the calls looked legit, but I have to admit that third down holding/PI, while the right call, wasn't called most of the game. That was a huge break as it would have been fourth down. The rest of the calls that series were obvious so nobody should have a beef.

But I think the one everyone will agree with is the blatant offensive PI on Ramsey which led to a 75 yard TD and changed the momentum of the game. If the Rams had loss, that play would have been talked about for a long time. Plus, you and I would have been bitter for a while too... :lol:

BTW, Ramsey had a dreadful game. His SB winnings should be given to AD, Stafford, and Kupp.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I totally agree with ECC.

My beef is only that the refs seemed to decide they were going to call a penalty-free game... right up until that last sequence. I don't think they called anything a penalty that wasn't a penalty.... they just let those same kind of things go all game long until the end.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Anytime the refs end up being the story it sucks. Seems like there were bad calls both ways that evened things out though.
-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:17 am Anytime the refs end up being the story it sucks. Seems like there were bad calls both ways that evened things out though.
This. Since we hardly ever get a perfectly called game if both sides can point then it is what it is.

And I've got to give it up for Stafford. That last drive with the entire ballgame resting on his shoulders (because the running game was non-existent) and a depleted receiving corps was absolutely incredible. The one play showing how big his cahones were was the "no-look" pass to Kupp over the middle where he had to thread the needle and make sure he looked off the DB who could have easily slid over to his right and picked that pass off. The replay from behind the play blew me away. He just cemented his bust to Canton with that SB winning drive.

Unfortunately for the Bengals, that drive was Montana-esque. Feel sort of bad for their fan base.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm You don't have to be a racist to recognize that as the worst halftime show ever. Complete shit.
Besides the lip synching and Eminem only getting one song, what made it the worst ever?

Aren't all modern SuperBowl halftime shows and national anthems all lip synced?

My favorite part was when Enimen was moving the microphone away from his mouth but you could hear him still singing, along with when Dre was playing the piano, got up, and the piano music was still playing.

My least favorite show was Justin Timberlake. Just not a fan.

I imagine the general consensus was that Prince had the best halftime show which I would agree with. Incredible out there in the rain.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I hate lip syncing. I wish the powers that be would just accept that there will be technical difficulties occasionally and allow for live performances.
-JB
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

My wife and I absolutely loved the halftime show. If you are between 33 - 42 years old it is hard to explain to people just how much that music meant to us as kids. It was a big F you to the Boomers. Plus the added angle that it was in LA. The symbolism of guys the LAPD roughed up in the 80s are now billionaires performing during the Super Bowl just down the street.

Prince was great but I think for those of us of a certain age this year's halftime show meant the world to us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My first exposure to Prince was his 1999 song and album, that came out in 1982 when I was a sophomore at the UA.

My son's girlfriend (35) came over to watch the game with us. She said she knew all the Snoop/Dre music from when she was in high school.

So I can see how it is a generational thing.

Don't recall conservatives getting their panties in a bunch of this though:

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 am My first exposure to Prince was his 1999 song and album, that came out in 1982 when I was a sophomore at the UA.

My son's girlfriend (35) came over to watch the game with us. She said she knew all the Snoop/Dre music from when she was in high school.

I have a theory that this entire country went to shit when Janet Jackson's nipple flashed for 0.5 seconds of the halftime show. It allowed for the uptight racist Karens to take over.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

No matter who performs, some segment of society is going to be upset. What type of music could make everyone happy? I can't think of any.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:41 am My wife and I absolutely loved the halftime show. If you are between 33 - 42 years old it is hard to explain to people just how much that music meant to us as kids. It was a big F you to the Boomers. Plus the added angle that it was in LA. The symbolism of guys the LAPD roughed up in the 80s are now billionaires performing during the Super Bowl just down the street.

Prince was great but I think for those of us of a certain age this year's halftime show meant the world to us.
I am an old, white guy and I enjoyed the halftime show less any political/socio-economic significance.

Be careful dissing us Boomers. We've seen and been through a lot so we are not as myopic as you think.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:54 am
Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 am My first exposure to Prince was his 1999 song and album, that came out in 1982 when I was a sophomore at the UA.

I have a theory that this entire country went to shit when Janet Jackson's nipple flashed for 0.5 seconds of the halftime show. It allowed for the uptight racist Karens to take over.
9/11 prevented the country from the natural cyclical culture change.

Subsequent war jingoism, xenophoba, and murica worshipping started, America doubled down from them on

Been a ton of articles and books about this being a pivotal point to where we are today
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 am No matter who performs, some segment of society is going to be upset. What type of music could make everyone happy? I can't think of any.
Polka played by Nuns.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 am No matter who performs, some segment of society is going to be upset. What type of music could make everyone happy? I can't think of any.
Michael Jackson was probably one of the safest, least offensive acts, before his legal difficulties anyway. Maybe he was too much boomer though, since he was about the same age as me, and I listened to his and his family's music almost all my life.

I thought Beyonce was multi-generational too. Although I am sure her Black Panther segment was quite traumatic for conservatives in more ways than one.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Motown - no one ever disliked Motown
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My only complaint was that Kendrick Lamar and 50 Cent should have been left out. Give Snoop & Eminem a second song, or just give Em a third one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:21 am My only complaint was that Kendrick Lamar and 50 Cent should have been left out. Give Snoop & Eminem a second song, or just give Em a third one.
I don't know, Kendrick is from Compton and I actually thought he killed it. Again though I was viewing it that I loved these guys having the last laugh on the LAPD in Inglewood. I didn't think 50 Cent was necessary. I was really hoping Ice Cube would pull his shit together, get vaccinated, and we would see an NWA reunion of sorts. I told my wife that if I ever got to see "Fuck the Police" during a halftime show that would be the peak of my happiness in life and I could just die right there a happy man.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just thought KL didn’t really fit generationally. I get why they had him perform, but he’s not of the same era as everyone else so it was disjointed in my opinion.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am I just thought KL didn’t really fit generationally. I get why they had him perform, but he’s not of the same era as everyone else so it was disjointed in my opinion.
I can agree with that, even with my Kendrick hat still on.

The way I viewed it is you have three generations of Dre.

Himself, Snoop and Mary
Em and 50 - he discovered
Kendrick and Anderson Paak - he discovered

At least thats how I viewed it. Almost as a homage to his career. A legacy showcase.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure why this is a story. A bigger story was if he wasn't smoking weed before.

No crime was committed, weed is completely legal here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Snoop did what about 1/4 of that stadium did. Anyone who cares is lame and has no friends.
TucsonClip wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:45 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am I just thought KL didn’t really fit generationally. I get why they had him perform, but he’s not of the same era as everyone else so it was disjointed in my opinion.
I can agree with that, even with my Kendrick hat still on.

The way I viewed it is you have three generations of Dre.

Himself, Snoop and Mary
Em and 50 - he discovered
Kendrick and Anderson Paak - he discovered

At least thats how I viewed it. Almost as a homage to his career. A legacy showcase.
That’s an interesting way to look at it, and something I didn’t think about.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Amazing half time show. Gave me goose bumps.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:21 am My only complaint was that Kendrick Lamar and 50 Cent should have been left out. Give Snoop & Eminem a second song, or just give Em a third one.
50 cent was almost the highlight for me since that song defined freshman year at the UA for me and is very nostalgic haha
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I remember being pretty entertained by the Katy Perry show. Left shark was awesome.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:09 pm
That’s the one! How he had the balls to do that in that situation is beyond me.

Guess he had no choice considering is 3 other top receivers were not available. It was Kupp or bust.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The game is on again on NFL Network in like 7 minutes.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:54 pm The game is on again on NFL Network in like 7 minutes.
Lol. I watched it again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Me too. And I have some observations.

Bengals fans can fuck off with their “the fix was in for LA” bullshit. Not only was that OPI on the touchdown to Higgins one of the worst missed calls in any Super Bowl but I counted at least three totally egregious holds on Leonard Floyd that happened right in front of a ref. Like honestly there might have been some vision correction issues that need to be addressed with that crew.

After the bullshit Cincy TD to start the second half, and the pick that went off Skrowonek’s hands, the defense stepped up on a level that I don’t know that I’ve seen before. They could obviously feel the game slipping away and they were determined not to let that happen. Aaron Donald was pushing triple teams back in Burrow’s face. Floyd was getting off the snap quicker than even the Bengal’s center. Robinson and Gaines were getting their hands up in the passing lanes and disrupting the play timing. And no wide receiver got off the line of scrimmage without being bumped off their route line. It was incredible. Also, AD or Von deserved MVP.

Great game. Great win. I’m happy for Cincinnati. They’ve obviously got great young weapons on offense and their defense was really really good on Sunday. Shore up that o-line and they could be good for years to come. As for my Rams I see this window closing very soon. If they don’t get back to the Super Bowl next year I’m not sure that Stafford and AD will get another shot.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:09 am Me too. And I have some observations.

Bengals fans can fuck off with their “the fix was in for LA” bullshit. Not only was that OPI on the touchdown to Higgins one of the worst missed calls in any Super Bowl but I counted at least three totally egregious holds on Leonard Floyd that happened right in front of a ref. Like honestly there might have been some vision correction issues that need to be addressed with that crew.

After the bullshit Cincy TD to start the second half, and the pick that went off Skrowonek’s hands, the defense stepped up on a level that I don’t know that I’ve seen before. They could obviously feel the game slipping away and they were determined not to let that happen. Aaron Donald was pushing triple teams back in Burrow’s face. Floyd was getting off the snap quicker than even the Bengal’s center. Robinson and Gaines were getting their hands up in the passing lanes and disrupting the play timing. And no wide receiver got off the line of scrimmage without being bumped off their route line. It was incredible. Also, AD or Von deserved MVP.

Great game. Great win. I’m happy for Cincinnati. They’ve obviously got great young weapons on offense and their defense was really really good on Sunday. Shore up that o-line and they could be good for years to come. As for my Rams I see this window closing very soon. If they don’t get back to the Super Bowl next year I’m not sure that Stafford and AD will get another shot.
Great recap Chi.
The 2 most controversial calls of the game which were the OPI/Higgins/Ramsey TD play and the third and gold hold on Kupp basically evened things out but you know the losing team will always cry foul more. That's just the way it is. If the Rams had lost we would be bitching about the OPI that led directly to 7 points.

The other two points I would add:

- The Bengals rush defense was outstanding the whole game. They were faster off the block and frankly the Rams OL missed a ton of assignments. But hats off to the Bengals. I know McVay is getting a lot of grief for running the ball so much when it was so obvious it wasn't working but what other choice did he have leading into my second point.

- The Rams receiving corps was on life support. No Woods, No Higbee. No OBJ (in game injury). No Blanton, a back-up! (in game injury). Jefferson is not yet a go to receiver imo, and with the Bengals knowing how depleted the Rams were they had the upper hand and keyed on the run on early downs. That last drive was on life support and Stafford and Kupp just came up big when they had to.

But without the Rams defense stepping up when the offense needed them to we'd be hearing Who Dey's echoing for days.