2023 NFL Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2023 NFL Season Thread

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:12 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:11 pm The fumble through the end zone rule is just plain dumb.
Agree. It should come back to the spot of the fumble.
100%

I would even be ok with pushing the offense back to the 20. The “reverse touchback”. But to just give it to the other team even though they didn’t recover it is very very dumb.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:14 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:11 pm The fumble through the end zone rule is just plain dumb.
100%

I would even be ok with pushing the offense back to the 20. The “reverse touchback”. But to just give it to the other team even though they didn’t recover it is very very dumb.
OTOH, just hold on to the damn ball, and don't try to reach over the goal line on first down!!!

As a Chiefs fan, I shit a brick on that play!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

https://themessenger.com/opinion/pay-p ... ns-revenue

Hard pass for me if this ever came to pass.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:15 am
100%

OTOH, just hold on to the damn ball, and don't try to reach over the goal line on first down!!!

Fumbles happen. “Just hold on to the damn ball” is a dumb thing to say when if you took the same hit it would knock your dentures into a different zip code.

The result of the fumble is what we are talking about. In no other instance does the defense get the ball without actually recovering the fumble. Why is the end zone different?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 am
100%

Fumbles happen. “Just hold on to the damn ball” is a dumb thing to say when if you took the same hit it would knock your dentures into a different zip code.

The result of the fumble is what we are talking about. In no other instance does the defense get the ball without actually recovering the fumble. Why is the end zone different?
Agreed...dumbest rule in football.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 am
100%

I was referring to the particular play in question. That fumble happened because of trying to reach the ball over the line before being downed. That’s a risk, and in that instance (first down) one not worth taking.

But, I say this. The end zone IS different. That rule doesn’t bother me as much. I think most consider a fumble to be a “fuck up”, and fuck ups are bad.

So, I’ll just settle for being “dumb” - thanks for pointing it out though.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:30 am But, I say this. The end zone IS different. That rule doesn’t bother me as much. I think most consider a fumble to be a “fuck up”, and fuck ups are bad.
Dropped passes are fuck ups. Dropped passes in the end zone are BIG fuck ups.

By your logic dropped passes would be treated as interceptions and the ball given to the defense at the 20.

Make it make sense my man…
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

IMO- if you fumble the ball out of the endzone- you should still remain on offense - but ball moves back to the 20
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 pm IMO- if you fumble the ball out of the endzone- you should still remain on offense - but ball moves back to the 20
I’m 100% cool with that. You’re penalizing the offense for fumbling but not completely fucking them.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:49 pm
pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:30 am But, I say this. The end zone IS different. That rule doesn’t bother me as much. I think most consider a fumble to be a “fuck up”, and fuck ups are bad.
Dropped passes are fuck ups. Dropped passes in the end zone are BIG fuck ups.

By your logic dropped passes would be treated as interceptions and the ball given to the defense at the 20.

Make it make sense my man…
Chi, a dropped pass is a fuck up, but, when it hits the ground, it cannot be a turnover.

A fumble is a fuck up; and it is a live ball.

One can disagree with you, even be in a distinct minority within a discussion (as appears to be the case here, granted), yet not be "dumb" or fail to "make sense".

To wit: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... &q=to+whit
NFL end zone touchback rule under scrutiny again, but owners not interested in change

No team has put forth a proposal to change the controversial rule

The end-zone fumble that results in a touchback, for many, is one of the worst rules in professional football. For some, it's one of the last remaining rules that benefits the defense. And others just don't see anything wrong with it.

For all the talk surrounding the rule every time it happens in a game -- and it happened again Sunday night in the divisional-round game between the Bills and Chiefs, with Kansas City losing the ball on a red-zone push against the Bills -- nothing has ever been done about it. The debate has been full of sound and fury signifying nothing, to borrow from a famous poet.

The NFL for decades has received rules-change proposals from the competition committee and from its 32-member clubs. Combing through proposals over the past decade, not one team has offered to change the rule. A league source believes no team has ever put forth a proposal.

Asked whether there has been any formal discussion in recent years to change the rule, a competition committee source texted CBS Sports saying: "None." Another source indicated no formal discussions have been had about the rule in the last five years.

At the heart of the issue, a source said, is that no one has been able to crystalize what an alternative would be. And if no one cares enough to offer an alternative to the rule, then there won't be any change to the rule.

Sunday's Bills-Chiefs showdown reignited interest -- and debate -- after Kansas City wide receiver Mecole Hardman lost the ball while falling to the ground and toward the goal line with about 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter. Officials debated whether Hardman was down before ruling it a fumble and granting possession to Buffalo, who trailed 27-24 at the time.

The NFL rulebook states: "If a ball is fumbled in the field of play, and goes forward into the opponent's end zone and over the end line or sideline, a touchback is awarded to the defensive team." When the ball is fumbled out of a team's own end zone, "it is a safety, if that team provided the impetus that sent the ball into the end zone."

The safety ruling isn't at issue in the public's view. Many argue the end zone touchback rule is too punitive for the offense. The defense never possessed the ball via a recovery, so it shouldn't get the benefit of possession as the thinking goes.

The 2022 season did not see a single end-zone fumble resulting in a touchback. There was just one in the 2021 season. The 2017 season had eight such plays, but since then the end zone touchback has occurred just eight total times in the regular season.

According to a source, the competition committee last had a discussion on the play following the 2017 season.

"There was some sentiment from clubs and fans that the rule was too punitive against the offense," a 2018 committee report obtained by CBS Sports reads. "… After much consideration and review of video, the Committee did not believe a rule change was necessary, believing that it is an exciting play that rewards the defense for an offensive error."

One recent play took place in Week 2 this season on Thursday night. Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson caught and ran with what would have been a touchdown just before halftime. Jefferson fumbled the ball over the pylon and out of the end zone as Eagles safety Terrell Edmunds made a goal-line tackle. The officials ruled it out of bounds at the 1-yard line on the field, but upon review reversed the ruling to a touchback.

Many alternatives proposed anecdotally have centered on the offense retaining possession of the ball, losing a down and setting the football at some arbitrary yard line. Should the ball be at the 1 or at the 20? Treat it like intentional grounding and go back 15 yards from the previous spot? The competition committee discussed that in 2018 and considered, among many options, the original spot of the fumble or the opposing team's 15-yard line.

The committee meets occasionally during the season via conference call to discuss relevant topics. After the season they meet before and after the NFL Scouting Combine to put together their rules-change proposals. Teams are also allowed to propose their own changes. All of these proposals can be heard at the annual league meetings in late March, and it takes 24 of the 32 clubs to vote a proposal through.

To change the rule, there has to be a renewed discussion. And someone, somewhere in the NFL has to start it before anything could even happen.

"We just have to continue to emphasize decision-making techniques and fundamentals, as far as the ball-carriers go," Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said after the game. "Like I said, Justin is just trying to make a play in that moment and the hardest thing to do is to get a guy not to reach the ball out when they are that close to scoring a touchdown in a critical moment."

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:47 pm One can disagree with you, even be in a distinct minority within a discussion (as appears to be the case here, granted), yet not be "dumb" or fail to "make sense".
I never called you dumb. And you know this.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Oh shit, hold on to the fucking football
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Taylor Swift downs that punt on the 1 yard line!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

She's got good hands for a singer song writer.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Neither qb is having a good half
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TAYLOR SWIFT IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL AGAIN!! (said in the voice of the great Brian Jeffries).
Last edited by dovecanyoncat on Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hope the Lions are aware of this.

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:10 pm TAYLOR SWIFT IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL AGAIN!! (said in the voice of the great Brian Jeffries).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

13 targets - 13 catches against the best defense in the league this year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have to say, I respect Taylor swift as a business women.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What’s going on in the Bay Area is…
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

...and the Ravens came to me with tears gushing down their faces and said, Sir, we've failed America...

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Let's hear it for the Kansas City Swifts vs the Detroit Bud Lights in Super Bowl LVIII.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lions are Cougin' it.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ball game
-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:45 pm Lions are Cougin' it.
I can't remember the last time the Cougs Couged it as much as the Lions just did. What an embarrassment.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 pm
TAYLOR DERANGEMENT SYNDROME!!!!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:28 pm
Merkin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 pm
TAYLOR DERANGEMENT SYNDROME!!!!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Libs are just jealous of Trump's popularity with the world of music Image

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sure it was the fake nudes Elon.

So how did the Chiefs win before Swift?

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Tay Tay is SB MVP: MAGA Vice President

~ Wilhoit's Law
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The Chiefs win the Super Bowl. The TV cameras go to Kelce, who is the MVP and is celebrating with Taylor, and ask him what he’s going to do to celebrate this great achievement.

He and Taylor both look into the camera and say, “We’re going to vote for Joe Biden!”

End scene.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

SCCats wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:29 pm The Chiefs win the Super Bowl. The TV cameras go to Kelce, who is the MVP and is celebrating with Taylor, and ask him what he’s going to do to celebrate this great achievement.

He and Taylor both look into the camera and say, “We’re going to vote for Joe Biden!”

End scene.
Or maybe they will both say "We're going to vote for FDR!"

It will be the implied endorsement..
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just saying going to Disneyland would be enough to trigger MAGA.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MAGA's fever dream to rally the troops on the Cleetus safari: Taylor Swift comes onto the halftime stage wearing stilettoes and assless chaps holding a diamond studded leash attached to Joe Brandon in a dog collar wearing a gimp suit/ball gag and on all fours. She leads him around, occasionally dry-humping him and kicking him in the balls. A curtained booth rises up from below stage and out steps George Soros who throws fistfuls of Nazi currency into an inflatable pool full of adrenochrome. All three climb in and have wild monkey sex for 30 minutes before Joe announces that Taylor is his new VP and George is his new chief of Staff.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm Just saying going to Disneyland would be enough to trigger MAGA.
This is probably true... and yet at the same time (and I haven't been to Disney since I was a kid) I bet Disneyworld is just packed with MAGA
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:07 pm
Merkin wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm Just saying going to Disneyland would be enough to trigger MAGA.
This is probably true... and yet at the same time (and I haven't been to Disney since I was a kid) I bet Disneyworld is just packed with MAGA
They’re boycotting it just as uniformly as they are the NFL.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:17 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:07 pm
They’re boycotting it just as uniformly as they are the NFL.

Why do you invite 2 Baptists/Mormons to go fishing with you?
So they won't drink your beer.

I remember one of my 3(!) RWNJ brothers posted they are boycotting the NFL due to Colin K taking a knee.

Dude, you don't even watch the NFL.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tucson based! Or at least it was back then.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

And Super Bowl I - The Pride of Arizona marching band.
-JB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m enjoying watching with my mother in law from Bolivia. She came for Taylor swift but she’s cheering for the Niners (lived in Marin for like 50 year)

It’s actuallly quite enjoyable and she’s getting it - downs, passes, strategy…it’s all good!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is Jedd calling plays?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also, she’s surprising up in contemporary pop culture

lol, this is fun. (We lost my FIL last Sept….so these moments are good to have)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:51 pm Is Jedd calling plays?
Came here to say that! That would have a pick though if he called it. I think maybe one trick play worked all season.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

84Cat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:51 pm Is Jedd calling plays?
Maybe next year once De Laura gets drafted
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles is playing a lot due to the SF LB that got hurt.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think my MIL has a crush on Kelce….lol

Time for your glow up Gloria.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The streaker understood that this game was stupid boring and needed some excitement.