Ray Rice

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Ray Rice

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

How about comparing that video to a 2 game suspension?

Related question, is Goodell the worst commissioner in sports?

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11486837
azgreg

Re: Ray Rice

Post by azgreg »

The NFL is reporting that they never saw that video.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The release of that video is interesting timing-wise. Right after the first weekend of the season? Yeah, very interesting...

I can't believe she married him. He straight up cold-cocked her. Does she think that he's not going to do that again? Or is she thinking that if he does, she can divorce him and get half?
azgreg wrote:The NFL is reporting that they never saw that video.
The NFL can say that, but it doesn't make their punishment any less idiotic. The story all along was that he knocked her out with a punch. Does that video change that story at all?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Should've been more obviously but at the time the video wasn't out and he was cleared through law enforcement channels. Wasn't a set policy for disciplining abuse either. Goodell fixed the mistake and is one of the best commissioners the sports world has ever seen.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Chicat wrote:I can't believe she married him. He straight up cold-cocked her. Does she think that he's not going to do that again? Or is she thinking that if he does, she can divorce him and get half?

My first thought this morning is that it's possible she has never seen that video until this morning. Supposedly the video was only available to the DA. IF that's true - seeing him actually knock her out could be as shocking to her as it is to us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:The NFL is reporting that they never saw that video.
There's another report saying they were offered the chance and declined.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

I could have sworn that the NFL and police were the only ones to see that video originally. There is no way they did not see this before. They are scrambling to cover their asses now.

What happened to the whole "head-butt" part of this story. Seems like the head-butt story was a way of making it seem like she was in his face and he reacted semi-defensively.

In the spirit of further irritating you with this story, take a look at this story in the Huffington Post. Apparently the same DA and judge who let Ray Rice off the hook are pushing prosecution of a working mother of 2 with a spotless record.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/0 ... 59383.html
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

It's laughably absurd to say:

1. NFL couldn't access the video. Everyone knew there was video from the elevator ride. Just because she refuses to press charges doesn't mean he was cleared. The video obviously existed and if they didn't see the offense, then why give any suspension at all until you have seen it?

2. That Goodell is a great commissioner. He inherited greatness, and has only ever accomplished to suspend people. That's his greatness. And many of his suspensions have come under fire. Nothing he's done has made the sport more popular. He's been responsible for a lockout, a referee strike, and countless iffy decisions like Thursday Night Football, Draft no longer Saturday/Sunday, making it so the QBs have all day to throw to wide open receivers, and talks on expanded seasons amidst concussion epidemic/lawsuits.

A great commissioner does what's best for the game, to establish and nurture a connect with fans. Goodell merely does what's best for his owners bottom line.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ASUHATER! wrote:Should've been more obviously but at the time the video wasn't out and he was cleared through law enforcement channels. Wasn't a set policy for disciplining abuse either. Goodell fixed the mistake and is one of the best commissioners the sports world has ever seen.
Disagree. Goodell has nothing to do with how popular the league is. The NFL is dominating right now because sport-popularity is cyclical, and our country is chock-full of mouth-breathers who want to sit on their fat asses watching amazing hdtv and tracking their lame fantasy teams on an ipad while eating chicken wings. If you want to give credit to Goodell for recognizing that fact and running with it, then sure I'll give him that. But that's like giving Larry Scott credit for getting more money out of a TV deal a few years ago - a monkey could do it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Should've been more obviously but at the time the video wasn't out and he was cleared through law enforcement channels. Wasn't a set policy for disciplining abuse either. Goodell fixed the mistake and is one of the best commissioners the sports world has ever seen.
I would say your take on Goodell being "the bestest EVAR!!!" is pretty funny when juxtaposed with the sentence that comes before it. Setting policy is one of the Commissioner Office's main tasks. Did Goodell and his people not think that domestic violence was an issue worth having a policy cover until Ray Rice dragged his lifeless fiancé from that elevator?

As I said before, video or no video, the story was always that he punched her in the face/head and knocked her out. The video doesn't change that story, it just makes the NFL look even worse than it did before for giving Rice a two game suspension.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

And Goodell had nothing to do with HDTVs, Fantasy Football (save for handcuffing defenses), or fatasses and chicken wings.

Look at what he's actually done vs. What he inherited/lucked into.

The foundation for popularity was established prior to his tenure, and I've not seen him make one smart football decision or social decision in that timeframe.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'd be shocked if they cut him. Maybe give him a far more appropriate penalty, but the solidarity they showed for him amidst his "struggles" was as sickening as it was woeful.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Coop Cat wrote:
So the moral here is, if you want to punch your wife in the face, do it where there are no cameras. You'll get a celebratory press conference, a bunch of women's jerseys printed up with your name and number on them, a ton of verbal and social media support from your team, and as small a suspension as possible.

But if you're caught on tape??? Sorry homie. Hit the road...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
So the moral here is, if you want to punch your wife in the face, do it where there are no cameras. You'll get a celebratory press conference, a bunch of women's jerseys printed up with your name and number on them, a ton of verbal and social media support from your team, and as small a suspension as possible.

But if you're caught on tape??? Sorry homie. Hit the road...
Thing that make you go "ugh".
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

They'll cut him
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:
Disagree. Goodell has nothing to do with how popular the league is. The NFL is dominating right now because sport-popularity is cyclical, and our country is chock-full of mouth-breathers who want to sit on their fat asses watching amazing hdtv and tracking their lame fantasy teams on an ipad while eating chicken wings. If you want to give credit to Goodell for recognizing that fact and running with it, then sure I'll give him that. But that's like giving Larry Scott credit for getting more money out of a TV deal a few years ago - a monkey could do it.
This. The NFL was cresting in popularity when Goodell took over. Since he's taken over, he's been resistant to reforms to address CTE, he's had a ridiculous policy on player punishment, and hasn't really done anything but ride the wave of the NFL's popularity.

What has he done in his time that has been a positive step? The new policy is a direct response to the pr regarding Rice, but it probably won't touch Rice.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
This. The NFL was cresting in popularity when Goodell took over. Since he's taken over, he's been resistant to reforms to address CTE, he's had a ridiculous policy on player punishment, and hasn't really done anything but ride the wave of the NFL's popularity.

What has he done in his time that has been a positive step? The new policy is a direct response to the pr regarding Rice, but it probably won't touch Rice.
Well, Goodell has taken the 1st round draft podium handshake into Hug/Fist Bump/Cool Bro Handslap/Chest Bump territory...
Junior

Post by Junior »

Peter King in an article on MMQB in July said that the some league members actually had seen the video. Somethings aren't lining up quite right
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Junior wrote:Peter King in an article on MMQB in July said that the some league members actually had seen the video. Somethings aren't lining up quite right
Liar, liar...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I am not the least shocked by what was seen in the new video. Why are people more upset now? What did they think happened?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:I am not the least shocked by what was seen in the new video. Why are people more upset now? What did they think happened?
I'm not more upset. I'm just upset again and this time with evidence that nobody gave a shit about this months ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I am not the least shocked by what was seen in the new video. Why are people more upset now? What did they think happened?
Bingo.

When the story was that he punched out his fiancé in an elevator it was something the Ravens, their fans, and the NFL could live with. Now that we've seen video it's something they can't?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I was just about to post this same thing. I'm a bit confused. The video showed exactly what I pictured happened and what I thought everybody thought happened?

This was why it was stupid to only give a 2 game suspension.

Why does this video change anything?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Guys he said he was sorry.

He's lucky he didn't hit the hash pipe prior to the punch though...he'd be out of football.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Of course if he had hit the hash pipe instead of the bottle, the chances of the punch would have been reduced. Oh the cruel irony...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
I was just about to post this same thing. I'm a bit confused. The video showed exactly what I pictured happened and what I thought everybody thought happened?

This was why it was stupid to only give a 2 game suspension.

Why does this video change anything?
The same reason people were angrier at Sterling over the TMZ tape than they were over the housing discrimination. It makes it easy to consume and get outraged about. It means that fans can't create their own narrative (I saw people saying that maybe he pushed her and she hit her head because she was drunk). A tape is real in a way that can't be avoided.

But no, it shouldn't change anything. Rice deserved more than he got, and nobody should really have needed the tape.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Don't mistake my outrage as new.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Wonder if those Ravens fans are clapping and cheering for the running back now as they did when he played in the preseason game after the suspension was first handed down.
Bear Down Vegas

Peter King is backtracking now too. Now he says his source just told him, "he assumed the league had seen the tape."

This whole thing is a muddled cluster f*@#.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well there ya go
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

No way that another team would pick him up..............................................................right?! I mean, could they really?
Last edited by Coop Cat on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear Down Vegas

That didn't take long.

The DA & the NFL look worse & worse.

HOW IN THE HELL did the DA only go after counseling to drop the charges?? They for sure saw the tape.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Raiders
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Alieberman wrote:Raiders
:lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You hit a woman, you pay the price. Well, if there is video leaked to the public that is...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:No way that another team would pick him up..............................................................right?! I mean, could they really?
Honest, I was going to give her a fist bump and she just slammed her face into my fist.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Honest, I was going to give her a fist bump and she just slammed her face into my fist.
Well, the Ravens are going to have to say what the "original story" was now since the video not matching the story is the reason for the termination.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Ravens were duped by the "why do you keep hitting yourself" story Ray Rice told them...

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BTW NCAA giving Penn State back its bowl eligibility, probably thought it was a good time to do it with all this Rice stuff going on.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Kind of a big one not to follow up on there Pete. Cannot stand the guy either in print or on TV/Radio!
To: Our readers.

An addendum to the Ray Rice coverage:

Earlier this summer a source I trusted told me he assumed the NFL had seen the damaging video that was released by TMZ on Monday morning of Rice slugging his then-fiancée, Janay Palmer, in an Atlantic City elevator. The source said league officials had to have seen it. This source has been impeccable, and I believed the information. So I wrote that the league had seen the tape. I should have called the NFL for a comment, a lapse in reporting on my part. The league says it has not seen the tape, and I cannot refute that with certainty. No one from the league has ever knocked down my report to me, and so I was surprised to see the claim today that league officials have not seen the tape.

I hope when this story is fully vetted, we all get the truth and nothing but the truth.
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice- ... eter-king/
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:
Well, the Ravens are going to have to say what the "original story" was now since the video not matching the story is the reason for the termination.
I'd bet he said she hit him first. That's really all he could have said to make it slightly more palatable.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Olsondogg wrote:You hit a woman, you pay the price. Well, if there is video leaked to the public that is...
That's exactly what it is too. The Ravens were willing to accept his lies (even probably knowing there was a real decent chance they were lies) from their star player and the Ravens were fine with that...right up to the moment the PR destroying video comes out.

Then it's all "This is despicable."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm wondering if sports talk fan-boys are slightly above or below used-car salesman and lawyers who advertise on late night TV on the usefulness to society scale.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Rice is allowed to come back maybe he can get a jersey like this:

But it would say "I Hit Her"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought for sure you were going to say "I'd Hit It".