Adrian Peterson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Adrian Peterson

Post by NYCat »

Adrian Peterson indicated on child abuse, deactivated for Sunday

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/ ... t-charges/
By: Nick Wright

According to law-enforcement sources, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson beat his 4-year-old son with a tree branch as a form of punishment this summer, an incident that allegedly resulted in multiple injuries to the child. According to reports, Peterson has been indicted in Montgomery County, Texas for injury to a child.

The “whooping” – as Peterson put it when interviewed by police – occurred in Spring, Texas, in May. Peterson’s son had pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game. As punishment, Peterson grabbed a tree branch – which he consistently referred to as a “switch” – removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

Peterson, when contacted by police, admitted that he had “whooped” his son on the backside with a switch as a form of punishment, and then, in fact, produced a switch similar to the one with which he hit the child. Peterson also admitted that he administered two different “whoopings” to his son during the visit to Texas, the other being a punishment for the 4-year-old scratching the face of a 5-year-old.

In an interview with Houston police, Peterson was very matter-of-fact and calm about the incident, appearing to believe he had done nothing wrong and reiterating how much he cared about his son and only used “whoopings” or “spankings” as a last resort. He offered up information that the police didn’t have and was incredulous when asked if some of the numerous wounds and marks on the child were from an extension cord, saying, “Oh, no, I’d never hit my child with an extension cord. I remember how it feels to get whooped with an extension cord. I’d never do that.”

Peterson also said, “Anytime I spank my kids, I talk to them before, let them know what they did, and of course after.” Peterson also expressed regret that his son did not cry – because then, Peterson said, he would have known that the switch was doing more damage than intended. He didn’t realize the “tip of the switch and the ridges of the switch were wrapping around [the child’s] legs.” Peterson also acknowledged that this was administered directly to the child’s skin and with the child’s pants pulled down.

Peterson later told police that the marks on his son’s buttocks were similar to the marks any of his other children get when he “spanks them with a switch,” but that the mark on the child’s leg from when the switch “wrapped around his thigh” was more severe than anything he had ever done in the past.

Peterson said he knew that his son had a doctor’s appointment scheduled for when he returned home and that the doctor would discover the injuries. Peterson added that if he felt like he was “really wrong for what I did, or had any ill intent, there’s no way I would have let him get on that plane.” He went on to say, “I have nothing to hide, but I also understand when a child has marks like that on his leg, they have to report that.”

When Peterson was asked how he felt about the incident, he said, “To be honest with you, I feel very confident with my actions because I know my intent.” He also described the incident as a “normal whooping” in regards to the “welps” on the child’s buttocks, but that he felt bad immediately when he saw the injuries on the child’s legs. Peterson estimated he “swatted” his son “10 to 15” times, but he’s not sure because he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Peterson went on to reiterate again how much he loves all his kids, and only “whoops” them because he wants them to do right. Toward the end of the interview, Peterson said he would reconsider using switches in the future, but said he would never “eliminate whooping my kids . . . because I know how being spanked has helped me in my life.”

After the child returned home to Minnesota in late May, the mother took the son to his previously scheduled doctor appointment and the doctor that examined the child said the injuries were consistent with child abuse and that it appeared the child had injuries from one incident involving a “switch” and another incident possibly involving a cord.

Authorities in Minnesota referred the case to the Houston Police Department to investigate. During the investigation, authorities determined that the incident did not take place on Woodway Drive in Houston, as originally believed, but instead in Spring, Texas, which is in the Montgomery County jurisdiction.

According to a law-enforcement source, Peterson was indicted Friday in Montgomery County, Texas, but has not yet been arrested.

The NFL recently unveiled a domestic-violence policy, which stipulates a six-game suspension for a first offense but allows for steeper penalties if children are involved.

As of publication, Peterson is not under arrest and is expected to play for the Vikings this weekend when they host the Patriots.

The Vikings have deactivated Peterson for Sunday’s game against the Patriots.

The Montgomery County Sheriff Office released the following statement:

On Thursday, September 11, 2014, a Montgomery County Grand Jury, “true billed”, Adrian Lewis Peterson on a charge of injury to a child. On today’s date at 2:47 PM, a warrant was issued and entered for the arrest of Adrian Peterson for that charge.

Since the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office has referred the case to the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, and the investigation has led to a, “true bill”, on a criminal offense, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will not discuss details in reference to the case or investigation.

At the time of this release, Adrian Peterson is not in custody at the Montgomery County Jail and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office does not have any details in the arrest of Adrian Peterson.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Re: Adrian Peterson

Post by ASUHATER! »

Whipped his kid with a switch supposedly. Definitely inappropriate.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

My fantasy team had Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson. I'm glad I built the team for depth at the RB position with Benard, Chris Johnson, Fosset, and McFadden ready to step in.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

What a joke
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Peterson went on to reiterate again how much he loves all his kids, and only “whoops” them because he wants them to do right. Toward the end of the interview, Peterson said he would reconsider using switches in the future, but said he would never “eliminate whooping my kids . . . because I know how being spanked has helped me in my life.”

It helped him get really good at whipping kids?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Main Event wrote:What a joke
Which part exactly? Whipping your children is definitely not funny and is a terrible disgusting thing for a parent to do to their child.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Holy crap.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Which part exactly? Whipping your children is definitely not funny and is a terrible disgusting thing for a parent to do to their child.
Kids get switches used on them every day, it's an act of discipline not trying to maliciously hurt him. Nothing at all disgusting about what he did.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Dude, the kid had injuries to his scrotum. Yeah, sonething wrong with that.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Kids get switches used on them every day, it's an act of discipline not trying to maliciously hurt him. Nothing at all disgusting about what he did.
Of course they're trying to hurt them. You don't whip a kid to tickle him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Main Event wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
You're a disgusting human being if you think that and I hope you don't have children. Never in any circumstances ever is there ever a reason to slap, hit, whip, paddle, beat...anything your children. It's barbaric and something we should have moved on from as a species long ago. It's a crutch for weak parents. I don't apologize for sounding harsh.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tweet & delete
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
You're a disgusting human being if you think that and I hope you don't have children. Never in any circumstances ever is there ever a reason to slap, hit, whip, paddle, beat...anything your children. It's barbaric and something we should have moved on from as a species long ago. It's a crutch for weak parents. I don't apologize for sounding harsh.
Disgusting human being for being OK with a father disciplining his own kid the way he see's fit? Miss me with that BS, he's not choking or punching his kid. That's his choice, he admitted to feeling bad that he had to do it because no parent wants to truly have to discipline their child in that fashion, but will do it when needed until his kid(s) start to act right on there own without discipline needed.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sorry, but beating your children with a switch is not something that falls under parental discretion. It's not a choice you should have or need as a parent. It's violent abuse, plain and simple. And you're really bad at your job as a parent if you have to resort to barbaric pain inflicting measures to discipline your kids. Gotta leave the middle ages behind and advance as a human being.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Main Event wrote: Disgusting human being for being OK with a father disciplining his own kid the way he see's fit? Miss me with that BS, he's not choking or punching his kid. That's his choice, he admitted to feeling bad that he had to do it because no parent wants to truly have to discipline their child in that fashion, but will do it when needed until his kid(s) start to act right on there own without discipline needed.

The problem is were talking about a fucking four year old with those kind of marks left after a week.

Mental midgets who need to resort to physical violence to control a 4 year old.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

No matter how you feel about spanking, switches, etc. I don't see anyone can argue that Peterson didn't go overboard completely in this case. Look at those pictures. What on earth has any 4 year old ever done to beat to hell like that?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The lawyer saying Peterson never mean to cause pain or harm is truly contemptible. Why else would you leave those kinds of marks on your child..unless your only goal was to cause harm? It clearly was a very violent attack and the kid was probably scarred for life.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Peterson crossed the line from discipline to abuse. I can understand, kids can drive you crazy, but beating the hell out of them doesn't do any good.

Not a good week for the NFL on the domestic abuse front.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Peterson should be cut by the Vikings and be put in jail imo.

Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Main Event wrote:Kids get switches used on them every day, it's an act of discipline not trying to maliciously hurt him. Nothing at all disgusting about what he did.

The kid is only 4 years old though. And it's not like he just swatted him on the butt a few times with his hand. He whipped him with a switch to the point of lacerations. That goes far beyond anything needed to discipline a 4 year old.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Peterson should be cut by the Vikings and be put in jail imo.
Right on. Dude beat the hell out of that kid.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Causing visible injury to a four year old's scrotum is parent's discretion?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... e-in-texas

More via Sports Radio 610: Peterson allegedly told the child's mother via text message that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh.” Peterson also acknowledged the injury to the child's scrotum, saying in the text message, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, I'm all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy's closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have a four year old boy, so this really hits home for me. I would never ever in a million years want to or need to hurt him to discipline him for ANYTHING. There is literally nothing he could do that would warrant beating him like that. If you can't discipline your kid without inflicting bodily harm on him or her, you are a failure as a parent and a human.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Disgusting and can't believe anyone would stick up for this.

Really dissapointed in Main Events attitude. This is a clear case of child abuse
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My dad this to me early and often. He used a belt, open palm, or even just a punch to the face. Sometimes he'd tell you hours in advance that your time was coming, and every time you hoped he forgot, he'd remind you, and then your time would come. He'd hit me until I couldn't breathe, and then the air would come back to me.

Can you imagine taking a switch or a belt and hitting a piece of furniture you like? I can't. So how can I even begin to understand hitting your own child like that?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That is horrible LH. Just horrible
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

NYCat wrote:The problem is were talking about a fucking four year old with those kind of marks left after a week.

Mental midgets who need to resort to physical violence to control a 4 year old.
Spot on, especially the mental midget line.

I'm thankful my parents didn't beat me, never even spanked once. Its such an archaic bullshit thing to do, and people justify it by saying that's what their parents did to them, as if that makes it the proper way to raise a child? People used to do alot of crap we don't do anymore, because we're supposed to learn and evolve.

This case specifically Peterson went way over the line. Imagine those wounds the week prior when they first happened. Thats like 12 Years A Slave shit on a 4 year old! Poor kids.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A bunch of my neighbors were over last night and the consensus was that you should be able to beat your child in any way you deem necessary. I was shocked by that. It really made me question my association with them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:A bunch of my neighbors were over last night and the consensus was that you should be able to beat your child in any way you deem necessary. I was shocked by that. It really made me question my association with them.
I think you're right to question that. I've been told that I don't understand the importance of hitting your child because I'm not a parent. Well, the friends I have who are parents would never dream of it.

My sister started dating a guy, moved into his house with her 8-year-old twins, and then allowed him to start corporeally punishing them. It involves a rule that they have to hold onto a chair while he hits them so that they don't fall to the ground from the strength of the force of his whacking them. Of course, I had to intervene as best I could, which made her furious at me. The worst part is that the guy is a middle school counselor in Phoenix.

We think we've made such progress since our parents' generation, but I think that future generations will look back and be horrified at childrens' rights in our era.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My father in law belted his kids. Pretty common in my parents generation although my dad never did. My mom used to spank me with a ruler or paddle but it never hurt, and I actually preferred that over time out since I hated time out so much.

So that's what I did with my kids, time outs. They hated it.

Don't know anyone now beats their kids.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I once spanked one of kids. He was 4. He was being a brat and I finally had enough. This was also the night that I discovered that time outs are not only for kids but maybe more important for parents. My son slept fine that night. I did not. I hurt my son, not to teach him a lesson, but because I lost control. I needed a timeout, I did not need to physically hurt my son. That was about 5 years ago and although my son doesn't remember that moment anymore, I sure do. And I'll never repeat it
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Alieberman wrote:I once spanked one of kids. He was 4. He was being a brat and I finally had enough. This was also the night that I discovered that time outs are not only for kids but maybe more important for parents. My son slept fine that night. I did not. I hurt my son, not to teach him a lesson, but because I lost control. I needed a timeout, I did not need to physically hurt my son. That was about 5 years ago and although my son doesn't remember that moment anymore, I sure do. And I'll never repeat it
This is so true! Much respect Alieberman because most people can't understand this. My parents are both victims of sexual and physical abuse when they were kids, I'm so thankful they were able to recognize the sick cycle that existed in my families history and get intervention to put a stop to it. Timeout is a very effective and is what my parents used to discipline me growing up. It was much more effective, verses hitting your children and to see how my friends who were physically abused growing up as punishment, it didn't help them one bit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:A bunch of my neighbors were over last night and the consensus was that you should be able to beat your child in any way you deem necessary. I was shocked by that. It really made me question my association with them.
I remember the subject came up a few months ago at my work and outside of me, it was a complete consensus amongst my coworkers that it's your god given right as a parent to beat your children to a pulp whenever you please. I felt sick.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lando05 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I once spanked one of kids. He was 4. He was being a brat and I finally had enough. This was also the night that I discovered that time outs are not only for kids but maybe more important for parents. My son slept fine that night. I did not. I hurt my son, not to teach him a lesson, but because I lost control. I needed a timeout, I did not need to physically hurt my son. That was about 5 years ago and although my son doesn't remember that moment anymore, I sure do. And I'll never repeat it
This is so true! Much respect Alieberman because most people can't understand this. My parents are both victims of sexual and physical abuse when they were kids, I'm so thankful they were able to recognize the sick cycle that existed in my families history and get intervention to put a stop to it. Timeout is a very effective and is what my parents used to discipline me growing up. It was much more effective, verses hitting your children and to see how my friends who were physically abused growing up as punishment, it didn't help them one bit.
I'd love to see a study that shows the rate of life success for kids that are beaten and those that aren't. Like high school and college graduation rates, career earnings, arrest rates, life span, prevailed of mental illness in later life, all that kinds stuff. I'm pretty confident that kids that weren't beaten have insanely higher success in life.

Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Lando05 wrote:
I'd love to see a study that shows the rate of life success for kids that are beaten and those that aren't. Like high school and college graduation rates, career earnings, arrest rates, life span, prevailed of mental illness in later life, all that kinds stuff. I'm pretty confident that kids that weren't beaten have insanely higher success in life.

I would love to see some studies on this as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I could easily see me doing that. Basically, you couldn't take it anymore and kind of snapped, albeit in a pretty mild way, and then devised a way to avoid repeating it. Self-awareness aside, this is also very different from the calculated, premeditated kind of corporeal punishment that people inflict on their children.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Lando05 wrote:
In addition to the question of long-term damage to the abused child, there's the certain long-term damage that the parent does to himself.

"My adult children won't talk to me anymore."

Any reason why?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

What Peterson did to his son was, without a doubt, to traumatize him...

... the behavioral health field - my profession - is undergoing a major paradigm shift - from "mental disorders" to "trauma-informed care". Trauma is increasing being identified as a major contributing factor in most non-biological behavioral disorders - in both adults and children.

The prevalence of childhood trauma is being revealed to be shockingly high - not solely physical abuse, but sexual abuse, neglect, psychological abuse, etc.

Regardless of how AP was himself raised, or prevalent child discipline heretofore, our culture needs to change....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

pc in NM wrote:What Peterson did to his son was, without a doubt, to traumatize him...

... the behavioral health field - my profession - is undergoing a major paradigm shift - from "mental disorders" to "trauma-informed care". Trauma is increasing being identified as a major contributing factor in most non-biological behavioral disorders - in both adults and children.

The prevalence of childhood trauma is being revealed to be shockingly high - not solely physical abuse, but sexual abuse, neglect, psychological abuse, etc.

Regardless of how AP was himself raised, or prevalent child discipline heretofore, our culture needs to change....
I know two of the disorders can be caused by child abuse. One is Borderline Personality Disorder and the other is Dissociative Identity Disorder. Both have a real hard time distinguishing reality. BPD can happen when someone sees that the sky is blue but told the sky is red and is punished when the child says it is blue. A child can get multiple personalities as an escape and coping mechanism for being abused. I've known a couple couple who have had to struggle with multiple personalities. It's really sad and so unnecessary.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The effectiveness of the discipline isn't correlated to the pain inflicted in the punishment.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I'm just piling on at this point, but Main Event's posts are disgusting and I really hope he doesn't have custody of any children.

There is a TON of research studying corporal punishment and virtually all of it points to it being significantly damaging to development.

This is a link to an advocacy site, but it is very well-cited so I think it is reasonable to post it here. PDF warning.

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pa ... 202013.pdf
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'll never understand hitting anything...be it a dog, a woman or a child...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's all about winning.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

The Vikings are a joke if they let him play this weekend.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

The NFL, and the Vikings, are a complete joke.

What peterson did was far, far worse than what ray rice did....and what ray rice did was pretty fucked up.

How the fuck can someone injure a 4 year old kid like that, and have so many people defending him? 4 years old....and whipped up and down (and including the balls) with a a switch till he's bleeding and cut and left with that type of damage? Oh, and the kid's quotes to authorities should tell you this isn't a one time thing, it's the way peterson is.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Wait, did you really mean this?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Wait, did you really mean this?
I think he did
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:The NFL, and the Vikings, are a complete joke.

What peterson did was far, far worse than what ray rice did....and what ray rice did was pretty fucked up.

How the fuck can someone injure a 4 year old kid like that, and have so many people defending him? 4 years old....and whipped up and down (and including the balls) with a a switch till he's bleeding and cut and left with that type of damage? Oh, and the kid's quotes to authorities should tell you this isn't a one time thing, it's the way peterson is.
They'll play the "due process" card the Miners are using with Ray McDonald.

For what it's worth, I usually figure that in the mind of the NFL, Pro Bowl appearances are part of due process considerations. Would Ray Rice still be a Raven if he was producing like Peterson instead of being on the downslope of his career?