Adrian Peterson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Adrian Peterson

Post by Alieberman »

I honestly felt ill when I saw those photos of his son or when I see them in mind. I honestly feel sick to my stomach.

A 4 year old? A 4 year old. There is no defense for this. There is nothing a 4 year old could do to justify this. If you did this to a kid that wasn't your own kid you would be in jail. How could you be allowed to do this to your own child?

And those defending these actions are just as sick.

As a lifelong Bears fan, it pains me to say this but Fuck You Mike Ditka! I will never forgive you for your stance on AP. It's sick, sick sick.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:I honestly felt ill when I saw those photos of his son or when I see them in mind. I honestly feel sick to my stomach.

A 4 year old? A 4 year old. There is no defense for this. There is nothing a 4 year old could do to justify this. If you did this to a kid that wasn't your own kid you would be in jail. How could you be allowed to do this to your own child?

And those defending these actions are just as sick.

As a lifelong Bears fan, it pains me to say this but Fuck You Mike Ditka! I will never forgive you for your stance on AP. It's sick, sick sick.
I missed it, what'd he say?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chris Carter (who I used to hate but now love) makes an emotional speech that brings himself to tears, talking about how his mother did the best she could, but she beat her kids like this and she was wrong. It was powerful, you should look it up. Then without a beat, Ditka chimes in saying parents can and should discipline their kids however they feel.

I say it again, Fuck you Mike Ditka.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Wait, you didn't realize Ditka was a bag of stale douche until now?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You can watch the Chris Carter rant here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 20430.html

It cuts off right before Ditka goes full douchebag.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:Wait, you didn't realize Ditka was a bag of stale douche until now?
I'm a Bears fan and I am guilty of turning a cheek for some of his other comments because I was a fan. But not this.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Wait, you didn't realize Ditka was a bag of stale douche until now?
I'm a Bears fan and I am guilty of turning a cheek for some of his other comments because I was a fan. But not this.
Gotcha. As I age, my fandom is basically gone for most things...UA basketball is one of the last remaining strongholds. I like UA football, but the firing of Tomey, then Mac, then Stoops....well, RichRod has his work cut out for him...

I am trying to teach my son not to idolize anyone. Humans can only disappoint.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:Chris Carter (who I used to hate but now love) makes an emotional speech that brings himself to tears, talking about how his mother did the best she could, but she beat her kids like this and she was wrong. It was powerful, you should look it up. Then without a beat, Ditka chimes in saying parents can and should discipline their kids however they feel.

I say it again, Fuck you Mike Ditka.
Ah, thanks for the info. I don't watch any of those shows so I missed it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

I'm really getting sick of the people in the media (mainly players) saying that getting beaten by their parents made them a better person. My parents never laid a hand on me and I think I turned out alright.

I never needed my parents to beat me to make me respect them. In fact, if my mother or father beat me I would have probably hated them.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

UAGreg wrote:I'm really getting sick of the people in the media (mainly players) saying that getting beaten by their parents made them a better person. My parents never laid a hand on me and I think I turned out alright.

I never needed my parents to beat me to make me respect them. In fact, if my mother or father beat me I would have probably hated them.
I think the point they are trying to make (poorly) is that he went too far, but he didn't have malicious intent. That makes it very different than if he hit a woman or child with a closed fist.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

the real dill wrote:
UAGreg wrote:I'm really getting sick of the people in the media (mainly players) saying that getting beaten by their parents made them a better person. My parents never laid a hand on me and I think I turned out alright.

I think the point they are trying to make (poorly) is that he went too far, but he didn't have malicious intent. That makes it very different than if he hit a woman or child with a closed fist.
he obviously had nothing but malicious intent. when you beat your kid that severely, that is your only intent. you are venting some kind of internal rage that you have because your father beat you onto your own kid. it was absolutely malicious and meant to do harm to the kid.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is worse then Ray Rice Dill
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

the real dill wrote:

I guess the point I'm making is how does getting beaten as a kid make you a better person?

Makes no sense to me.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAGreg wrote:
the real dill wrote:

I guess the point I'm making is how does getting beaten as a kid make you a better person?

Makes no sense to me.
it doesn't. people beaten as kids have way higher rates of suicide, mental illness, alcoholism...all of that. up to 5 times as high in some situations.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Alieberman wrote:This is worse then Ray Rice Dill
I'm not saying it's OK by any means. Hell, I have 3.5 year old that I would never beat like that or even hit in general.

If he would have grown man punched like Ray Rice did, the child would be dead. Ray Rice is very lucky his wife isn't dead.

I think Barkley is right there is some cultural misunderstanding.

Either way, what he did is wrong. Debating the lesser of two evils is always tough. He was whipping his child (very common practice especially in the SE) and whipped too hard.

The difference would be saying it's common in certain cultures to punch your wife in the face, but Ray Rice just punched too hard.

Again, disgusting, horrible, etc. but different from what Ray Rice did.

Petersen has 7 different women who have mothered his children. His rights to see those children moving forward should be either revoked or at minimum only under supervision of a third party.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

What makes this worse is that Peterson had a son who was killed by his stepfather from child abuse.

You'd think he would have learned something from that.

It's even more sad that he clearly doesn't think he did anything wrong here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm not sure why disciplining your child violently is being defended by anyone. Is it ok to discipline your child by sexually abusing them?

If Adrian Peterson was making that child perform sex acts and saying it was for his "own good", absolutely no one would be saying that's ok. But whipping him to the point where he has visible lacerations? That's "a parent's prerogative"? Give me a break. We're not talking about swatting a kid on the butt. We're talking about hurting a child. Are people going to really defend that?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat wrote:I'm not sure why disciplining your child violently is being defended by anyone. Is it ok to discipline your child by sexually abusing them?

If Adrian Peterson was making that child perform sex acts and saying it was for his "own good", absolutely no one would be saying that's ok. But whipping him to the point where he has visible lacerations? That's "a parent's prerogative"? Give me a break. We're not talking about swatting a kid on the butt. We're talking about hurting a child. Are people going to really defend that?
Your head would probably explode if you listened to talk radio down here. Lots of people are really upset he was indicted. It's sad, but a lot of people believed because it was normal in the 60s, they can do it now. Deep East Texas, where Petersen grew up with his grandmother, is a weird place. Like True Detective weird.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:I'm not sure why disciplining your child violently is being defended by anyone. Is it ok to discipline your child by sexually abusing them?

What I've been learning is that I don't understand because its a "black thing" And that's just what black people do.

And maybe it has been more common in black households, but that is not an excuse.

Wrong is wrong.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:

Your head would probably explode if you listened to talk radio down here. Lots of people are really upset he was indicted. It's sad, but a lot of people believed because it was normal in the 60s, they can do it now. Deep East Texas, where Petersen grew up with his grandmother, is a weird place. Like True Detective weird.
Yeah, I saw a lot of that when I worked in Louisiana. True Detective was like a trip down memory lane.

Glad I got out of there...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:

What I've been learning is that I don't understand because its a "black thing" And that's just what black people do.

And maybe it has been more common in black households, but that is not an excuse.

Wrong is wrong.
I was thinking about this last night. If the culture of slavery still exists in some sectors of the Black community.

I'm sure that way back before the Civil War and in the immediate time afterward, Blacks lived violence every day, all day. If you were born into slavery, imagine the sheer number of violent acts you'd see in the course of your life, and from a very young age. When you enslave a people, keep them in chains, beat them, whip them, and totally subjugate them, they are going to lash out violently too whenever possible. And unfortunately a defenseless child has often been the target of misplaced rage.

I would imagine the whipping with a switch thing is rooted in that shared experience. It's an adoption of what was done to them for discipline by their masters and overseers. How do you deal with someone who misbehaves? You whip them. But we're talking about going back 7 or 8 generations at this point. It's high time everyone throw off the yoke of the past and come into the 21st Century. You don't have to do what your parents did to you. Adrian Peterson may think that his mother whipping him made him a better football player, but that's doubtful, and it certainly didn't teach him anything about how to raise a child except that violence is the answer when it's really not.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

For everyone with an anecdote about how their parents beat them and they turned out fine, you have no clue how you would've turned out without being beaten. Your anecdote means nothing and you have shitty parents.

Just because its been done for a long time doesn't make it OK today. Just imagine if people thought that way about racism & women's rights beating up or your spouse or any other social faux pas. 'Its ok to hate blacks because that's how my parents felt & thought me' - 'its OK to beat up the wife because its been going on for a long time and they turn out fine, she learned to behave.' Think about if a man disciplined his wife with a stick he would be facing severe charges for domestic violence, but all of a suddenly its no big deal if its done on children?

Do you know how dumb that is. Parents aren't all smart, most are clueless who don't know what they are doing. Those the support what AD did are on the wrong side of history just like racial segregation, women's rights, and now currently those who oppose equal rights to lgbt. People are going to look back at people like them & think what was wrong with them.

Kinda sucks, but honestly most middle/upper middle/and higher class for the most part don't do this. Its not just about black (maybe the switch thing) since abuse is mostly done by the working classes & lower classes. It's sad because it just keeps spreading the culture and repeating it to a point where several generations pass and nothing has changed for them because they don't want to change their ways or mentality. Always going to be the victim or the abuser.

I'm happy I never grew up with or let alone saw any of it.

Laws change, people should too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

switch = stick or tree branch.

Hitting you child, is straight up wrong. Hitting so hard that the branch smacks their scrotum should be a straight up jail sentence.

AP and anyone who thinks this is appropriate are low-class garbage.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Yeah, I saw a lot of that when I worked in Louisiana. True Detective was like a trip down memory lane.

Glad I got out of there...
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/52 ... s-now.aspx
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Exactly I come from a family with a long history of sexual abuse and physical abuse. My parents amazingly enough stooped the cycle with me and my siblings by getting intervention and cutting us off from all the people who just stood by and knew what was happening but did nothing. My parents were called crazy, said they made it up, denial is a huge problem for this country right now. This is not ok in the 21st centenary, how does physically harming anyone teach a lesson? Violence only begets more violence. Anyone defending what AP has done has lost my respect, it has really opened my eyes and I've lost a lot of respect for a lot people I know with this issue and the Ray Rice situation too.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

NYCat wrote:For everyone with an anecdote about how their parents beat them and they turned out fine, you have no clue how you would've turned out without being beaten. Your anecdote means nothing and you have shitty parents.

Just because its been done for a long time doesn't make it OK today. Just imagine if people thought that way about racism & women's rights beating up or your spouse or any other social faux pas. 'Its ok to hate blacks because that's how my parents felt & thought me' - 'its OK to beat up the wife because its been going on for a long time and they turn out fine, she learned to behave.' Think about if a man disciplined his wife with a stick he would be facing severe charges for domestic violence, but all of a suddenly its no big deal if its done on children?

Do you know how dumb that is. Parents aren't all smart, most are clueless who don't know what they are doing. Those the support what AD did are on the wrong side of history just like racial segregation, women's rights, and now currently those who oppose equal rights to lgbt. People are going to look back at people like them & think what was wrong with them.

Kinda sucks, but honestly most middle/upper middle/and higher class for the most part don't do this. Its not just about black (maybe the switch thing) since abuse is mostly done by the working classes & lower classes. It's sad because it just keeps spreading the culture and repeating it to a point where several generations pass and nothing has changed for them because they don't want to change their ways or mentality. Always going to be the victim or the abuser.

I'm happy I never grew up with or let alone saw any of it.

Laws change, people should too.
Spot NYcat couldn't have said it better myself.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

the real dill wrote:
Petersen has 7 different women who have mothered his children.
Selfish and irresponsible - I guess he wasn't whooped enough.... :o

Anything physical that would be illegal to do to another adult should be illegal to do to ANY child - what is so hard to understand about that???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

A popular Vikings message board has shut down and cited that it refuses to continue to support the team.
Shut down

Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.
1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.
2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, assholes.
Thankfully, this board has only had one such asshole as far as I can tell.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Petersen has 7 different women who have mothered his children.
Selfish and irresponsible - I guess he wasn't whooped enough.... :o
Father of the fucking year. When his kids do get to spend time with their father they're living in fear that if they upset him they'll be beaten. What an asshole.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Radisson pulled their sponsorship of the Vikings. Something tells me they did not like having their logo adorn that abortion of a press conference.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Adrian Peterson apologizes

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11532 ... ild-abuser
I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.
Really?

Instead of apologizing how about not beating your son in the first place.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

NYCat wrote:
I'm sure people like Main Event find scars are just more motivation a parent can leave behind for their children..... :roll:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:Radisson pulled their sponsorship of the Vikings. Something tells me they did not like having their logo adorn that abortion of a press conference.
This is the only thing that will drive change with the NFL. Money is all that matters, period!
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

84Cat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Radisson pulled their sponsorship of the Vikings. Something tells me they did not like having their logo adorn that abortion of a press conference.
This is the only thing that will drive change with the NFL. Money is all that matters, period!
Unfortunately it doesn't just drive the NFL, that's what drives the world... The NFL is just a microcosm of American politics and what capitalism has become in this country.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is reported as a picture of the forehead scar from the second victim.

UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

the real dill wrote:

He certainly didn't believe that he was doing something wrong, if that's what you mean, but that's largely irrelevant. I'm sure Vick could similarly say that based on his southern upbringing he didn't think dog-fighting was wrong, but that didn't change anything.

Legally, it doesn't matter if you think what you're doing is wrong, it just matters if you intentionally did the act which broke a law. You can't shoplift and claim as a defense that you didn't think shoplifting was illegal. If AP intentionally hit his child, and hitting his child constituted child abuse, he intentionally committed child abuse, period.

That's a legal question though, perhaps what he did is perfectly legal in Texas. That is disconnected from the moral issue, and that's why the Vikings should rightfully be criticized for waiting for the legal system to reach a decision. There is no factual dispute here, AP has admitted to everything, and that should be enough for the Vikings (or the NFL) to suspend him.
Salty

Post by Salty »

My parents swatted me a few times. Never more than a single swat to the behind with pants on.

The real tool that they used was fear though... My parents could yell and throw things instead of resorting to physical violence to make me and my siblings behave. It worked very well.

Personally, I don't think that the right way to discipline a child is the use of physical violence. Anything more than a swat seems unnecessary. I don't have kids, but I just can't see myself ever hitting a child, no matter what they could have done.

That being said, parents should be able to discipline their children as they see fit.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Chicat wrote:Father of the fucking year. When his kids do get to spend time with their father they're living in fear that if they upset him they'll be beaten. What an asshole.
Besides the beatings obviously, that was the real sad part of the situation. I don't have kids yet but I can imagine how much of a failure I would feel like if my kids went to bed freakin scared of me or their mother. Some f*cked up stuff. Patience and communication can be hard so idiots like Peterson take the easy way out and resort to beatings.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Salty wrote:My parents swatted me a few times. Never more than a single swat to the behind with pants on.

The real tool that they used was fear though... My parents could yell and throw things instead of resorting to physical violence to make me and my siblings behave. It worked very well.

Personally, I don't think that the right way to discipline a child is the use of physical violence. Anything more than a swat seems unnecessary. I don't have kids, but I just can't see myself ever hitting a child, no matter what they could have done.

That being said, parents should be able to discipline their children as they see fit.
Salty trolling again with the Ditka line.

And throwing things can be pretty traumatic too man...that's probably just as scary for the kids. I'm picturing a grown man throwing a Tonka truck fastball against the wall in a screaming fit of rage. I think people need to control their emotions instead of acting like the children that they're supposed to be raising.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:parents should be able to discipline their children as they see fit.
There have been cases where parents have locked kids in dog cages, starved them, burned them, whipped them with extension cords, and beat them until they were hospitalized or died . . . all in the name of "discipline".

Just for the record, you're cool with that?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The handful of times I got a spanking I was first sent to time out to think things over. During this time emotions cooled. My father would enter, we'd have a rational discussion of the offending actions, and then, if he thought I still deserved the swat, I got no more than three bare palmed swats to the thighs.

Never out of anger. Always with mutual understanding and discussion. This was seldom, and almost never happened after age 5, when the far more devestating punishment was taking away my Legos.

Off the top of my head, incidents I got swatted for:

Biting (a few times) when I was 3/4, stealing when I was 4/5, shoving my younger sister into a display of glass mayo jars when I was 6/7.

Always was more of a last resort, not first measure. And I was always allowed to explain myself, even to the point of talking my way out of the sway with demonstrated understanding and contrition or explanation of accidental actions, knowing if I was caught in a lie or I did the action again, the next swatting would increase in number. First offense was one swat, second could be two or three. A caught lie was always three.

But like I said, most punishments took form of privileges, then money lost.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:
Salty wrote:parents should be able to discipline their children as they see fit.
There have been cases where parents have locked kids in dog cages, starved them, burned them, whipped them with extension cords, and beat them until they were hospitalized or died . . . all in the name of "discipline".

There's a fine line between abuse and discipline.

AP's actions were discipline.
Salty

Post by Salty »

pokinmik wrote:
Salty wrote:My parents swatted me a few times. Never more than a single swat to the behind with pants on.

Salty trolling again with the Ditka line.

And throwing things can be pretty traumatic too man...that's probably just as scary for the kids. I'm picturing a grown man throwing a Tonka truck fastball against the wall in a screaming fit of rage. I think people need to control their emotions instead of acting like the children that they're supposed to be raising.
The whole point was to scare us...

If I wasn't scared of my Dad flipping out... I probably would have started smoking, fighting, drinking, doing drugs, etc. Instead, I was a pretty good kid. Fear is a tool that can be used by parents very effectively. My father never hit me outside of the occasional swat when I was a very young boy.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You have now proved you are a sick human being. I'm done communicating with you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm glad you've been given the opportunity to troll this community once again Salty.

Like Alieberman, I'm done with you. You're not worth the effort.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Alieberman wrote:
Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You have now proved you are a sick human being. I'm done communicating with you.
You've said this before.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm sorry Salty, but I have to disagree with you here. When I was a child it was customary to get the paddle, the belt, and the switch. When I talked with food in my mouth at the dinner table I would often get my dad's fork against my mouth. Times have changed. You can spank a kid (don't do it in public), maybe slap him / her (debatable), but don't use part of a tree or any kind of tool.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Trolls have deep-rooted social/psychological issues. The fear and spankings from Salty's old man didn't stop him from becoming a troll. Score one for the non-abuse camp.