2016 Rio Olympics

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2016 Rio Olympics

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I wish I could give rep. That Onion article is hilarious.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I predict the US will look like Nuevo Riche trash.

The Euro babes will be fine and dressed smart.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who else here actively roots against the US in the Summer Olympics?

Yeah, bad fan here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I root for the good ol' U S of A . . . and for shit like this not to happen.
But on the lighter side...
Don't ever stop never stopping Rio. You're the best...
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who else here actively roots against the US in the Summer Olympics?

Yeah, bad fan here.
Might wanna prepare yourself for disappointment. The predictions I saw seem to think we'll dominate the medal count.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Of course we will, that's to be expected. We bring the biggest and most week trained delegation. No disappointment but why I find the Winter Olympics more intriguing in terms of rooting for the US.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Come on CST, we're a big fat hairy winning machine. If you ain't first, your last!

Go USA
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I guess that give new meaning to having events influenced by local elements.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I feel bad for that girl who won our first gold. People were ripping her like crazy for winning a shooting event
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MrBug708 wrote:I feel bad for that girl who won our first gold. People were ripping her like crazy for winning a shooting event
Ripping her why? I don't hear anything and I don't understand.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:I feel bad for that girl who won our first gold. People were ripping her like crazy for winning a shooting event

Ripping her why? I don't hear anything and I don't understand.
An overwhelming number of tweets and replies have been positive. However, a there have been a number of them like:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alright...watching this swimming, seeing the US having some trouble and watching my 2yo daughter totally into it and mimicking the strokes has me all GO USA.

I've shook the bah-humbug. :lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That Hungarian swimmer crushed that WR yesterday
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Irish27 wrote:Image
I went to school with a girl named Fuchs.

She used to cop a helluva lot of shit for her name - and didn't deserve it one whit.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sometimes rules are ridiculous. Douglas is the reigning Olympic Champion in the All Around and finished 3rd, but because she happens to be on the team with 1 & 2, she can't defend his title.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who else here actively roots against the US in the Summer Olympics?

Yeah, bad fan here.
Da, komrade. We should meet over vodka to discuss your politics.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, bad fan here.
Not me. Having a relatively innocent way to be a nationalist is the fun. It's not like I'm a huge dressage and fencing fan who is just happy to be watching the sports I love on the big stage. The only reason to watch half the sports is a rooting interest in a particular nation.

Even more recognizable sports like swimming, I don't really know a technically sound breaststroke from an ugly one. I just know who makes it to the end of the pool first and I know that one gal from Hungary is on the juice.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, bad fan here.
Not me. Having a relatively innocent way to be a nationalist is the fun. It's not like I'm a huge dressage and fencing fan who is just happy to be watching the sports I love on the big stage. The only reason to watch half the sports is a rooting interest in a particular nation.

Even more recognizable sports like swimming, I don't really know a technically sound breaststroke from an ugly one. I just know who makes it to the end of the pool first and I know that one gal from Hungary is on the juice.
But Ledecky who won by 5 seconds is as pure as the wind driven snow...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nice to see the pac representing in the olympics. cal has 50 olympians in rio, the most out of any school in the world. i believe the pac-12 has close to 275 total athletes / staff, the most out of any conference by a wide margin. Arizona, along with the california schools, oregon, and asu are all in the top 25 most represented programs in rio. go pac!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dirtbags wrote:nice to see the pac representing in the olympics. cal has 50 olympians in rio, the most out of any school in the world. i believe the pac-12 has close to 275 total athletes / staff, the most out of any conference by a wide margin. Arizona, along with the california schools, oregon, and asu are all in the top 25 most represented programs in rio. go pac!
"Conference Of Champions"

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, bad fan here.

It's just a joke. If I was being serious, I'd figure over 90% of medalists have had some sort of PED.

I was only joking about the Hungarian swimmer because she blew up like Barry Bonds.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, bad fan here.

It's just a joke. If I was being serious, I'd figure over 90% of medalists have had some sort of PED.

I was only joking about the Hungarian swimmer because she blew up like Barry Bonds.
I realize this, but there's this double standard that when our athletes kick all sorts of ass we assume it's because they work just that much harder or are just physically more gifted, but let some eastern bloc chick blow away the competition and we're looking for the hint of a mustache and any evidence of backne.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, bad fan here.

I realize this, but there's this double standard that when our athletes kick all sorts of ass we assume it's because they work just that much harder or are just physically more gifted, but let some eastern bloc chick blow away the competition and we're looking for the hint of a mustache and any evidence of backne.
Depends on who you talk to. Like I said, I'm pretty jaded about US and non-US athletes and PED's. I cut the number of medalists down from 100% because of sports like rifle and archery where physical strength and speed aren't issues.

Hosszu is an easy target because she put on about 20 lb of obvious muscle right as she went from good swimmer to record breaking swimmer. If you look at the before and after pics, it isn't real debatable.

It isn't like US athletes don't do it too, though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I mean after she kicked ass on sat, a certain crocodile Dundee phrase did come to mind...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've gotten over the PED thing by not giving a shit if athletes take any.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote: I realize this, but there's this double standard that when our athletes kick all sorts of ass we assume it's because they work just that much harder or are just physically more gifted, but let some eastern bloc chick blow away the competition and we're looking for the hint of a mustache and any evidence of backne.
Not true. My wife, who is European and cares not one whit for American athletes took a look at Hoss yesterday evening and said, 'That is NOT natural.'

You've gotta admit she has a point:

Her success also only came about after she married and started being coached by that lunatic. Seriously, after seeing his antics, does anyone believe a little rule-bending would stop him?

EDIT: you guys see the image? I showed in the preview but not after I posted.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Me no see image.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No image.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hosszu pre "new training regimen" at the last Olympics:

Hosszu in her current world record form:

I mean, when someone changes physically and starts swimming much faster...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Believe this is it, no hotlinking allowed. Her hubby looks all roided up too.

Before PEDs?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When you go from good, not great, swimmer with normal body to jacked beast smashing world records with 25 new pounds of muscle in a short period of time, what do you think people are gonna say?

She went to USC. Maybe they really are dirty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^Camel toe

Anyone for field hockey?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Ehh, she clearly hit the weight room hard, although I don't know how much time had passed from the first picture to the second. Even with PEds, you have to hit the weight room hard. You can't just judge by a pic and either way she worked her ass off. Almost anyone could transform themselves like that if they were dedicated to working out that much.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If she didn't work out her neck so much it would look like a normal progression.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:Ehh, she clearly hit the weight room hard, although I don't know how much time had passed from the first picture to the second. Even with PEds, you have to hit the weight room hard. You can't just judge by a pic and either way she worked her ass off. Almost anyone could transform themselves like that if they were dedicated to working out that much.
The first pics are around her appearance in the 2012 Olympics. I don't think anyone believes she wasn't training at that point pretty heavily. You don't just pack on (my estimate) 20-25 pounds of lean muscle by being more dedicated.

I do buy that even with PED's, training matters, and being on something does not diminish the hard work necessary. Frankly, I'd rather there was truly a "level playing field" where there weren't PED restrictions. The current systeam doesn't deter use, it makes people go to lengths to avoid being caught. There's a cottage industry in masking results.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Remember when Olympic boxing used to matter.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:If she didn't work out her neck so much it would look like a normal progression.
Her lats would make Salty jealous.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
Chicat wrote:If she didn't work out her neck so much it would look like a normal progression.
Her lats would make Salty jealous.
https://youtu.be/PT3oGgND8HM" target="_blank

Except there's nothing imaginary about her lats.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »