Gracie Jiujitsu

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Gracie Jiujitsu

Post by Puerco »

I'm not an MMA guy at all, but this article was fascinating. Be warned -- it's a long one.

http://grantland.com/one-hundred-years- ... #chapter-8
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BearDown89

Re: Gracie Jiujitsu

Post by BearDown89 »

I've decided to start Brazilian jiu jitsu training myself. I'd never considered it before until my buddy mentioned that he'd taken it up 3 months ago to snap out of his winter funk. He was looking for something different than slogging it out day after day at the gym by himself. He wanted to train with others communally and with a sense of camaraderie. He considered Crossfit - his wife is a personal trainer, kinesiologist, fitness type. We were watching the Masters when this came up and I was really surprised, but intrigued. He directed me to a couple of videos and I tagged along to a couple of his training sessions to observe this week.

It's definitely intimidating, but fascinating. The first hour of class is instruction, drilling and practicing fundamental techniques of the art - focusing on a particular move or sequence of moves. Following that is a general open "rolling" session where you grapple with others for 6 minute sessions for another hour or so. There's a really good mix of different belts (white/blue/purple/brown/black) and the more advanced are encouraged and very open to rolling with the less advanced, helping to train and teach. The culture is really cool and open. Brown and black belts have no problem rolling with white belts. Then as the novices start to tire out and fade, the browns and blacks go at it with each other. It appears to be one hell of a workout. Guys are gassed. There's a lot of good vibe and spirit to it. Very respectful and humble. Douches need not apply. I'm bored as hell at the gym by myself. I like to mountain bike, but I prefer it to be more recreational and I'm tired of breaking ribs from ill-timed dismounts. There's definitely an artistic and spiritual component to it that I think will be good for me at this point in life.

They say the hardest part is walking through the door, but I'm gonna do it. Ordered my gi yesterday and I should be ready to go on Saturday. There are tons of video and instruction on youtube to check out. If you're interested, I recommend the following video which is a feature length documentary.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Awesome beardown.

Not to hijack, but the feelings behind your decision are exactly why I'm taking up mountaineering. Something to be goal oriented towards that just logging miles at the gym doesn't cut for me anymore. Like a total lifestyle change.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol, I just saw your post in the other thread bear down! Thanks man, you too!

After watching a ton of Bourdain he speaks highly of ju jitsu, keep us posted, seems like a cool sport and one where getting fit is a means for participation rather than a goal. I admire those who want to get in the ring and compete.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol, I just saw your post in the other thread bear down! Thanks man, you too!

After watching a ton of Bourdain he speaks highly of ju jitsu, keep us posted, seems like a cool sport and one where getting fit is a means for participation rather than a goal. I admire those who want to get in the ring and compete.
That's funny CST. It was your post in the other thread that caused me to search the board for a jiu jitsu thread to see if it's ever been discussed on here. I think you've laid out a good plan to prepare for your first climb. I've done a lot of hiking, backpacking and peak-bagging over the years, but never technical climbing. I've an old law school buddy in Portland who took up climbing and it seems he's out climbing with a regular group every weekend posting pics on FB. He climbed Ranier not too long ago. I imagine that you're close enough to Yosemite and the whole Sierra range that once you get into it, you'll find yourself a group and be heading for the hills every chance you get.

I've seen the Bourdain episode where he goes to the Ralph Gracie Academy in San Francisco (featured along with Kurt Osiander in the video I posted above). His wife is really into it too. I didn't think much of it at the time. It wasn't until my buddy brought it up that I tuned in. I don't hate going to the gym, but it's a solitary grind against this belly that's getting harder and harder to lose at my age. There has to be more to it than just that. So I'm looking at this as an opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and take on a new experience.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

So I pulled the trigger. Ordered a gi last week. It came on Friday. Worked out at the Y last Friday night, didn't drink and went to bed early. Got up Saturday morning and ate a healthy breakfast with plenty of time to get organized. Arrived at the jiu jitsu gym nervous as hell. Was nicely welcomed by a bunch of guys. Made it through the warm up routine and was already sweating like hell. Then as we transitioned to drilling the day's techniques, an older black belt took me under his wing as his training partner for the day. Super chill easy-going guy. Coached me through the moves, explaining all of the little details as we went. I'm literally on top of this guy just raining sweat on his face. I kept apologizing and he kept saying to get used to it. When he practiced the techniques, he did everything real slow and smooth explaining everything as he went. Other advanced belts wandered the mat and offered more coaching. What a workout. This was going to be a whole new kind of fitness. I was gassed. Before I knew it the hour was up. I'd done it! I'd walked through the door and started training jiu jitsu. I was pumped. Had a surprise birthday for a close friend with a bunch of close friends Saturday night and I was in a great mood. Definitely proud. Really excited. Completely geeked.

I returned for my second class on Monday night. Warmed up. Struggled. Sweating already. There weren't a lot of advanced belts in attendance. (FYI, it goes white, blue, purple, brown and black. They don't want whites working together b/c they don't know what they're doing for the most part.) So I paired up with a big blue belt, young guy a couple inches taller than me. Definitely a strapping young lad. We watch the first technique and I go to work on him. Again, he's coaching me, pointing out the details and in no time I'm pouring sweat all over him. We switch so he can get a couple of reps in. You're basically lying there like a practice dummy, not defending or protecting in any way. He assumes the position and then suddenly at full speed - quick as can be, wham! He slams his shoulder into my rib cage and POP! Gasp! Fuck. He broke my fucking rib 27 minutes into my second training session. I've broken a bunch of ribs mountain biking and I knew it the instant he hit me. Done. Out. Him: holy shit, did I just break your ribs? Me: yup. The kid felt bad. I tried to go on the next technique, but there was no way. I left the mat and slunk back into the changing area to lick my wounds. So fucking pissed. I won't be able to take contact, not to mention all the crazy rolling around and contorting for a month minimum, probably more like 6 weeks. Hurts like a mother. So fucking pissed and now I have to worry about this when I ease back into it. Haven't been able to go to the regular gym all week - so much for my awesome new health plan and fitness journey. The "Gentle Art" they call it!

So it's a set back. I'll recover and I'll start again. I'm not quitting. I do worry about the ribs though because I really have broken a bunch of them in the past and wonder if they're compromised, but I'll defend and protect them from here on out. I've also learned that you have to choose your training partners wisely, communicate and develop trust with each other. So I will. In the meantime, I have an old friend from childhood in Tucson - my feral "Lord of the Rings" partner in crime who I tore up the desert with from the age of 9 - who is a black belt out of a pretty bad ass gym in Santa Monica. He's a Hollywood stuntman and he's been training jiu jitsu for a couple of decades now. I chatted him up during all of this and he gave me some great advice to keep going to class to observe and listen and pointed me to a few different guys to study to keep me nerded out while I'm banged up.

I'm still pissed though.