2016 Rio Olympics

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

2016 Rio Olympics

Post by ASUHATER! »

The water being used in Olympic areas for things like swimming has as much bacteria and viruses in it as raw sewage and would get most athletes violently ill.
http://www.businessinsider.com/rios-fil ... ics-2015-7
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Re: 2016 Rio Olympics

Post by catgrad97 »

Brazilian officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes. But the government does not test for viruses.

Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where most sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.

Despite decades of official pledges to clean up the mess, the stench of raw sewage still greets travelers touching down at Rio's international airport. Prime beaches are deserted because the surf is thick with putrid sludge, and periodic die-offs leave the Olympic lake, Rodrigo de Freitas, littered with rotting fish.
I'll just keep this facepalm to myself. That, ladies and gents, is how our country can turn into a third-world one: Politicians making impossible, ridiculous assurances in the face of shortcomings they are responsible for.

Think we can't become a Third World country? Brazil, a country even larger than India, whose water quality is notoriously awful, did, and now you know how.
"If I were going to be in the Olympics," said [a] California water expert, "I would probably go early and get exposed and build up my immunity system to these viruses before I had to compete, because I don't see how they're going to solve this sewage problem."
That alone makes me want to vomit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's fucking alarming.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just remember, in the official vote for that Olympics Chicago came in dead last because the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA.

If only we had more raw sewage in our water....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Just remember, in the official vote for that Olympics Chicago came in dead last because the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA.

Chicago did change the direction of their river from emptying their sewage into Lake Michigan (source of Chicago's drinking water) so that the sewage ended up in St. Louis instead.

How frickin' awesome is that?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Chicat wrote:Just remember, in the official vote for that Olympics Chicago came in dead last because the IOC is more corrupt than FIFA.

Why would you want to host? Illinois and Chicago are already broke, they don't need 20 billion of extra expenses.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

catgrad97 wrote:
Brazilian officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes. But the government does not test for viruses.

Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where most sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.

Despite decades of official pledges to clean up the mess, the stench of raw sewage still greets travelers touching down at Rio's international airport. Prime beaches are deserted because the surf is thick with putrid sludge, and periodic die-offs leave the Olympic lake, Rodrigo de Freitas, littered with rotting fish.
I'll just keep this facepalm to myself. That, ladies and gents, is how our country can turn into a third-world one: Politicians making impossible, ridiculous assurances in the face of shortcomings they are responsible for.

Think we can't become a Third World country? Brazil, a country even larger than India, whose water quality is notoriously awful, did, and now you know how.
Wut? You're going to need to connect the dots of the splatter paint you've written here.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

How convenient that LK didn't read my whole response. No wonder he's lost on a clear analogy. Oh well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:

Why would you want to host? Illinois and Chicago are already broke, they don't need 20 billion of extra expenses.
Wanting to host or not wanting to host is irrelevant. (For the record, I thought it was a bad idea.) But losing out to that filthy third world hellhole was a slap in the face to what is a world class city.

Of course after Sochi, and what is still to come with Rio and Beijing, maybe not being chosen is actually a compliment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Country after country after country pulled out after being rejected by public referendums.

http://deadspin.com/nobody-wants-to-hos ... 1582151092
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

catgrad97 wrote:How convenient that LK didn't read my whole response. No wonder he's lost on a clear analogy. Oh well.
What you wrote literally made no fucking sense. Brazil is, and has always been, a third world country. Of course it has shit water quality. And India has absolutely nothing to do with it - nor does the fact that India is "larger" than Brazil (to say nothing of the fact that they have wildly different levels of economic development and population densities).

And of course, your own post cites statements that make clear that the pollution levels would never be acceptable in the US.

But other than that, you're dead on as always.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a Seacrest fan, but he can't be any worse than Bob Costas has been. Besides, who watches late night Olympics anyway?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Awful, what does RS know about sports?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:Awful, what does RS know about sports?
When was the last time the Olympics was about sports? Seems they have more human interest stories, which I am not remotely interested in.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So the world doping assoc just released a report that states that doping is so bad in Russia that they should be banned from the competition until they stop doping. Doesn't surprise me though. Fuck Russia!

In addition, it states the London 2012 Olympics were "sabotaged" by the "widespread inaction" against Russian athletes with suspicious doping profiles by the IAAF and the Russian athletics federation

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/34765444" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

As a white man whose wife works for Dillard's I approve.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Those belts are a little too "street" for my tastes. And so is the black dude...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the hell is that crap
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:the hell is that crap
It's a not so subtle acknowledgement that many Olympic sports are only regularly played by the 1%. Not a lot of horse jumping going on in middle America. So they might as well dress like an extra in a Matthew Modine movie.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Those belts are a little too "street" for my tastes. And so is the black dude...
His name is Chad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Those belts are a little too "street" for my tastes. And so is the black dude...
His name is Chad.
I'm not comfortable with that. Can he change it to Chip?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God dammit. The euros eat our lunch in opening ceromonies fashion.

This is shit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

S Korea

Canada

USA Golf Team

Australia
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Pretty much all Olympic uniforms look like they belong in a country club or Abercrombie ad.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

USA has released a re-design of their Olympic unis.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Should have been a haz-mat suit under a bulletproof vest...
catgrad97

Ugh.

Post by catgrad97 »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/americas/ ... _expansion" target="_blank
A beach goer Wednesday discovered human body parts that had washed up on the shore, right in front of the Olympic Beach Volleyball Arena on Rio's famed Copacabana beach.

A dismembered foot and another body part still unidentified was found, according to Andre Luiz, an officer of the Military Police. Police believe the victim was a woman or young adult.

Although the circumstances surrounding the person's death are unknown, it is another embarrassing blow to the host country -- already reeling from financial problems, a mishap-prone Olympic torch and an outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
Two days before the gruesome body parts discovery, the acting governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro, Francisco Dornelles, warned that the Games could be a "big failure" because the state is out of money.

Some of the Olympic Games costs are funded by the city of Rio de Janeiro, but the burden also falls on the Rio de Janeiro state government, and it is in bad shape.

The state declared an official emergency and requested a federal bailout earlier this month but it hasn't received the money. Dornelles warned of a breakdown in essential public services and said without the emergency funds, the police force could only cover its costs to the end of the week.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The games are $1.6 Billion over budget.

Chicagoans are thanking their lucky stars every day we didn't get the games. No doubt we'd have done a better job of putting them on, but who wants the hassle and insane costs?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

New Zealand has revealed their outfits too...

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

F*** the Olympics.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

There should be many more updates in this thread.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/30/chines ... an-in-rio/" target="_blank
A guy pretending to be really drunk walked into a Rio de Janiero hotel where Chinese hurdler Shi Dongpeng and a photographer were checking in. The man vomited on Dongpeng, at which point the photographer chased the drunk out of the hotel while Dongpeng went to clean himself. But it was all a distraction, because the minute the photographer turned back around, all his equipment was gone.

When Dongpeng and the cameraman went to the police station, they had to sit in a queue for two hours while police dealt with all the other people who had been robbed that night. Earlier this week a New Zealand athlete was kidnapped by fake police and forced to withdraw money from an ATM. An Australian athlete [was] robbed at gunpoint near the sailing venue. Members of the Spanish sailing team were robbed earlier this year and a Brazilian athlete, shooter Anna Paula Cotta, was shot in the head during an attempted robbery in Rio last month.

The advice from various embassies and other authorities is for people visiting Rio to not wear expensive things or use a mobile phone in public.
:lol: Rio showing its true, non-Carneval colors.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 65866.html" target="_blank

Swimmers need to ingest only three teaspoons of water to be almost certain of contracting a virus
A report commisioned by the Associated Press has revealed that water in Rio's Olympic and Paralympic venues holds viral levels 1.7m times what would be considered alarming in the United States and Europe just five days before the Games get underway

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pokemon Go isn't available in Rio.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/tre ... 0MjE1NDcv/" target="_blank

Shit just got real.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I predict the Olympics won't exist in 20 years.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:I predict the Olympics won't exist in 20 years.
It seems rather excessive.

I understand the desire for splendor, but this grand spectacle, but it and the World Cup are bankrupting-level events. Very few host countries have the time and resources to pull it off short-term, let alone long term.

Considering the US had a bomb kill folks, not even first world countries are immune to this crap.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I predict the Olympics won't exist in 20 years.
1) Maybe FIFA or FIBA will have their corruption rooted out, or some other entity will take charge of international soccer and basketball competitions.

2) Maybe track and field will earn the deserved interest every year.

If both happen, f**** the Olympics. If one or neither happens, f**** the Olympics.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 65866.html

Swimmers need to ingest only three teaspoons of water to be almost certain of contracting a virus
A report commisioned by the Associated Press has revealed that water in Rio's Olympic and Paralympic venues holds viral levels 1.7m times what would be considered alarming in the United States and Europe just five days before the Games get underway
no more than third world countries hosting the Olympics, K?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

I would be all for something like 5 cities chosen to be permanent hosts of the Olympics so they would be the host city one every twenty years. You could have London, Sydney, LA/Chi, and two other well developed cities that are capable of putting on the games. I have heard the argument for a single location like in Dubai or someplace like that but I do think that it needs to move around. These smaller cities that are not capable of holding the games should not happen. It is not fair to the athletes.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »