The Combat Sports Thread (Boxing/MMA/Other)

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

WildcatStunner

The Combat Sports Thread (Boxing/MMA/Other)

Post by WildcatStunner »

Just wanted to create a thread to chat about any and all combat sports for those that are interested.

Did anyone catch the UFC 261 Main Card last night? All five fights on the main card were finishes, no judges scorecards necessary. Two broken legs that were brutal to see. Also one of the cleanest right hands I have ever seen connect in mixed martial arts.

So please, post your thoughts/questions/praises/hatred towards all things combat sports HERE!
Merkin

Re: The Combat Sports Thread (Boxing/MMA/Other)

Post by Merkin »

My son and his girlfriend went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the event, since it's cheaper than getting PPV. However, the line was so long they couldn't get in. They love it, however my wife and I hate it. Just too violent. Going to see a lot of CTE cases come up.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I agree, it is very violent. The first two fights on the main card had broken legs that were nauseating to see. I also was not a big fan of them hosting in a packed house in Florida. But Dana White is a big supporter of the Orange fool, so I figure Desantis has no qualms about Covid in Florida.

I like to watch boxing and MMA because I trained in martial arts since I was 6 and kickboxing for over 10 years. Even if I was still in my early 20s I would not want to be a pro fighter. Too much wear and tear plus CTE.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WildcatStunner wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:29 pm I like to watch boxing
I used to be a big boxing fan. Just loved Joe Frazier since he was a brawler. Wasn't a real fan of Muhammad Ali since he was a draft dodger (although he was right and then I hated all draft dodgers), along with being a more finesse boxer, and really hated the rope-a-dope. Just fight! Although obviously it was quite effective.

Huge fan of George Foreman too. Sad about Ali though, wouldn't wish that on any good person.

I haven't seen any fights since Mike Tyson. After watching him box, I thought to myself, there is no one in the world who could beat him. What a punch he had.

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I remember watching Tyson when I was a kid. I was too young to understand how strong and vicious his punching prowess is/was. Also too young at the time to appreciate that he was a guy who was under 6 ft that would always be giving up height and reach advantages.

Unfortunately, I feel like boxing has become diluted. Too many sanctioning bodies and belts now. It is pretty rare where the true best fight the best anymore. Gone are the days of Hagler v Hearns or Ali vs Frazier. It is all about the money now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CTE is a terrible disease.