Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Post by 84Cat »

Amazing win!
Last edited by 84Cat on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

That is a huge win by the USMNT. Played shoddy defense for much of the match. But really showed grit at the end. That save by Horvath on the penalty kick was special. The USMNT grew up tonight.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

SCCats wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:39 pm American defense is ELITE
Calling up Tim Ream, much less playing him, has to be a fireable offense.
Except when your brother is your boss I guess.

Need to put Brooks on ice until qualifiers. If he gets hurt again our back line will be horrific.

Mexican player getting drilled in the face with a water bottle thrown by the Mexican fans has to the highlight of the game.
Last edited by legallykenny on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

hUUUUUUUGE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Dest (dang autocorrect) really played awful. What is up with him? Reyna showed how good he could be, especially on defense. To think he is only 18. Agree about playing Ream. Robinson should have started. I also wonder why Acosta is playing. Berhalter isn’t a good coach but we are stuck with him.

I knew Horvath was a good GK who never received any PT in the EPL. Horvath is as good as Stephen. I can’t wait to get Aaron Long and Chris Richards back.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

What a freaking game. Instant classic, fights, Mexico fans living up to their reputation, Horvath, my son Gio and, McKinnie flying around in every corner and Pulisic capping it off. Unreal.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

legallykenny wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:30 pm
SCCats wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:39 pm American defense is ELITE
Calling up Tim Ream, much less playing him, has to be a fireable offense.
Except when your brother is your boss I guess.

Need to put Brooks on ice until qualifiers. If he gets hurt again our back line will be horrific.

Mexican player getting drilled in the face with a water bottle thrown by the Mexican fans has to the highlight of the game.
I have that saved on my phone. I've watched it like 10 times tonight and can't stop laughing.

-Shane Battier
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That was a fucking wild match. Kudos to the US for a great comeback.

Where was the game, Denver? Where the hell was the security to allow so many fans to throw water bottles? That was a disgrace.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Some thoughts about the USMNT vs Mexico.

- It was one of the best USA/Mexico matches I've ever seen. It may not have been the best played game but it was entertaining. What is fun is that the teams are on an equal footing.

-Why did Ream play at all? He helped give up the second goal. At least he was pulled after that.

- Why did Yunus Mussah not play? I would play him over Acosta or Lleget. I am concerned why Mussah did not play? I'd like to know.

- Tyler Adams entered the game near the end. That begs the question why he didn't start. He is the best 6 for the team by far. He is skilled and plays great defense and will help Brooks in defending. I would like to see Mussah play the backup 6 and not Yedlin. Although I have to say Yedlin played well against Mexico.

- I was not impressed with Sergeant, although he is young, and less with Siebatcheu at striker. Time to look at Daryl Dike. I believe he will play for the friendly against Costa Rica.

Pulisic, Reyna, and McKennie are our big 3. Adams and Brooks are also important.

- I like how McKenzie recovered after a terrible start. He is a young player and I will watch him.

- For the Gold Cup there are a lot of players I want to see. The Gold Cup is meant for potential players. They are not the "A Team". But there are some more like the "A- team".
- Daryl Dike. He could be the striker we need. He needs to work on his skills but is very athletic and creative. I sure would like to see him on the USMNT.
- Caden Clark. He is a midfielder playing for the Red Bulls. But probably has the most potential of all the younger players not on "A Team". He is 18 years old. He has had to deal with the system. I strongly believe he is going to make a huge impact within a couple of years. Him and Dike are probably the 2 players I am looking forward to the most in the Gold Cup.
- David Ochoa. He is a promising GK and I want to see him play. GK mature much later and they don't start coming into their own until around age 25. He is 20 years old now.
- George Bello. He is a defender who is 19 and players for Atlanta United in the MLS. His development needs to be watched.
- Matthew Hoppe. He is a forward and 20 years old, and plays in the Bundesliga for Schalke. I would love to see him in the Gold Cup.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Watching the Denmark vs Finland game. Fuck. I hope Ericksen is okay.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:34 am
-Why did Ream play at all? He helped give up the second goal. At least he was pulled after that.

- Why did Yunus Mussah not play? I would play him over Acosta or Lleget. I am concerned why Mussah did not play? I'd like to know.

- Tyler Adams entered the game near the end. That begs the question why he didn't start. He is the best 6 for the team by far. He is skilled and plays great defense and will help Brooks in defending. I would like to see Mussah play the backup 6 and not Yedlin. Although I have to say Yedlin played well against Mexico.

- I was not impressed with Sergeant, although he is young, and less with Siebatcheu at striker. Time to look at Daryl Dike. I believe he will play for the friendly against Costa Rica.

Pulisic, Reyna, and McKennie are our big 3. Adams and Brooks are also important.

- I like how McKenzie recovered after a terrible start. He is a young player and I will watch him.

- For the Gold Cup there are a lot of players I want to see. The Gold Cup is meant for potential players. They are not the "A Team". But there are some more like the "A- team".
- Daryl Dike. He could be the striker we need. He needs to work on his skills but is very athletic and creative. I sure would like to see him on the USMNT.
- Caden Clark. He is a midfielder playing for the Red Bulls. But probably has the most potential of all the younger players not on "A Team". He is 18 years old. He has had to deal with the system. I strongly believe he is going to make a huge impact within a couple of years. Him and Dike are probably the 2 players I am looking forward to the most in the Gold Cup.
- David Ochoa. He is a promising GK and I want to see him play. GK mature much later and they don't start coming into their own until around age 25. He is 20 years old now.
- George Bello. He is a defender who is 19 and players for Atlanta United in the MLS. His development needs to be watched.
- Matthew Hoppe. He is a forward and 20 years old, and plays in the Bundesliga for Schalke. I would love to see him in the Gold Cup.
Lot of good stuff here CIH.

Ream: I think US fans will be disappointed that Ream will probably be a feature of the Berhalter teams. Berhalter plays from the back and Ream is one of the best passing defenders and is generally a serviceable defender.

Mussah: Take it for what it is worth but Berhalter said he came in not in top shape. Enough for Costa Rico game though.

Adams: Recovering from injury. It’s clear he is the best we have. If he was healthy and played against Mexico, I think it wouldn’t been so close. I would add him to the big 3.

Sergeant: He needs to have a good gold cup / qualifiers. I’m also ready for Dike or Seab.

Pulsic: Didn’t have the best game during play, but those corners were killer.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I guess offsides has a new interpretation?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Watching England shit all over themselves against Scotland almost made the expansion to 24 teams worthwhile.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Germany handing Portugal their heads.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 am Germany handing Portugal their heads.
I love Kai Havertz. He plays for Chelsea. As long as Germany plays Werner at a minimum they are in better shape.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It's funny because I know some of the players playing. They play for Chelsea. I still have a lot to learn but have a good start. Next season I want to focus on the top 5 leagues in Europe. I intend to be more informed. I love soccer now and desire to be more educated and more informed of the players in the major leagues.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 am Germany handing Portugal their heads.
We knew that Portugal's back line was trash and Carvalho looks to have gotten old fast, but WTF was going on with Silva and Ferandes? They were absolutely awful.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Peace out France
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That was a friggin wild game. Swiss, Czechs and Danes in the quarters is crazy.

England vs. Germany will be a fun match.

Go Azzurri!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Fantastic free kick from the newly 21 year old!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

England advances to the final against Italy.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Go Azzurri!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

England with an early goal. Shit.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Extra time
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Bwahaha England. Missed the last 3 penalty kicks and lost to Italy.

Azzurri!!!!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

My takeaway from that Haiti gold cup game was...thank god we have other, European based players.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

SCCats wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:55 pm My takeaway from that Haiti gold cup game was...thank god we have other, European based players.
That isn't the only problem. Berhalter is not a good coach. He is valuing experience and has this thing for MLS players. He should have started Daryl Dike and/or Mathew Hoppe. Why wasn't Caden Clark on the roster? I don't get what Berhalter is thinking. He should have been let go after Olympic qualifying and hire someone like Jesse Marsch, who coaches RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:11 pm
SCCats wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:55 pm My takeaway from that Haiti gold cup game was...thank god we have other, European based players.
That isn't the only problem. Berhalter is not a good coach. He is valuing experience and has this thing for MLS players. He should have started Daryl Dike and/or Mathew Hoppe. Why wasn't Caden Clark on the roster? I don't get what Berhalter is thinking. He should have been let go after Olympic qualifying and hire someone like Jesse Marsch, who coaches RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.
If Jesse Marsch is stupid enough to leave RB Leipzig to coach the USMNT then I wouldn't want to hire him.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not a huge fan of Berhalter, but I agree with what he is doing with the Gold Cup roster. This is clearly the USA B-team, with no Euro based players. After beating Mexico for the last cup, we have nothing to prove against Mexico's A-prime roster, as their Gold Cup roster is about 50/50 top line players. Let the MLS kids get some good experience in a tournament setting.

I also think we are seeing the MLS effect, not just on the US, but the entire region. 20 years ago, when MLS was still very young, it was mostly US players, and having a full-time league lifted US soccer a half a notch. But eventually, top players from around CONCACAF found their way to MLS, and for the past decade or so, MLS has lifted the play of other CONCACAF nations a notch. To the point where Haiti can compete on the pitch with the US B-team.

Fortunately, one positive of having Klinsmann as the USMNT coach was the importance placed on US players going to Europe. It's obvious that if the US wants to take another step up, we need our best playing against the world's best on European soil. If we played the roster we did against Mexico against the Haiti team we faced, we win much easily. But again, that's not the point of this tournament.

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, with memories of the original NASL, US soccer being an afterthought, years of no top domestic league, etc., where US Soccer is today is still a minor shock! Not only does the US have players in top Euro leagues, but guys like Pulisic and McKinney are stars! MLS is on solid footing, and no longer do kids growing up think there is no future for American soccer players!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This is a much better lineup tonight for the US. Hoppe, Dike, Busio, Bello, Williamson, Sands. This is much younger but IMO far better. And I want to see the younger players get national experience.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:01 pm This is a much better lineup tonight for the US. Hoppe, Dike, Busio, Bello, Williamson, Sands. This is much younger but IMO far better. And I want to see the younger players get national experience.
Some of these guys (so far for me Busio, Bello, Dike and Hoppe) actually look like players that could play with Christian, Gio, Winston, Tyler, serginio etc and not totally destroy the flow of the game. It’s been much better, much more active/proactive.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:01 pm This is a much better lineup tonight for the US. Hoppe, Dike, Busio, Bello, Williamson, Sands. This is much younger but IMO far better. And I want to see the younger players get national experience.
Some of these guys (so far for me Busio, Bello, Dike and Hoppe) actually look like players that could play with Christian, Gio, Winston, Tyler, serginio etc and not totally destroy the flow of the game. It’s been much better, much more active/proactive.
It's too bad Caden Clark couldn't play. He had an appendectomy. IMO, Clark is the best young player. He is only 18 and should be playing in La Liga next season.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm
It's too bad Caden Clark couldn't play. He had an appendectomy. IMO, Clark is the best young player. He is only 18 and should be playing in La Liga next season.
Dike has to be favorite for the #9 moving forward. We just need someone who can actually put the ball past the keeper.

Clark is going to RB Leipzig. Bundesliga is going to be a lot of fun again for US fans.

-Shane Battier
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Pines makes Ream look elite
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

A win is a win but the US, who is quite young, didn’t look that good.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

This is Canada's best squad, perhaps in their soccer history. And they still can't beat the US B-team. Yes, Canada looked to be the better side, but results still matter.

I hope Canada can keep it up. CONCACAF could use another regular that contends for Gold Cup crowns and appears in the World Cup on a regular basis. Having Canada join Mexico and the US will lift all three countries up, in my opinion.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 am This is Canada's best squad, perhaps in their soccer history. And they still can't beat the US B-team. Yes, Canada looked to be the better side, but results still matter.

I hope Canada can keep it up. CONCACAF could use another regular that contends for Gold Cup crowns and appears in the World Cup on a regular basis. Having Canada join Mexico and the US will lift all three countries up, in my opinion.
It was not Canada's best squad. Alphonso Davies was injured and did not play. He may be the best player in Concacaf. Nor did they play John David. Canada definitely is better than this US Squad.

I rate Berhalter a D- in coaching this game. And I only graded him that high because we won. He values experience (MLS) over young talent. Acosta and Lleget can't move the ball forward. But they are good at passing to the side and backwards. Why did Sam Vines start? Why is Jackson Yeuill even on the roster? Why in the world start Zardes over Hoppe? Hoppe was great when he came into the game during the last 15 minutes. Eric Williamson should have started too. He is the best midfielder on this team.

The players I think that could make the national team (if Berhalter stops being so stubborn) Is Matthew Hoppe and James Sands. I can see Sands backing up Tyler Adams at the 6.

Roldan, Lewis, Pines on the roster? Berhalter is a perfect fit to coach a bad MLS squad.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:34 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 am This is Canada's best squad, perhaps in their soccer history. And they still can't beat the US B-team. Yes, Canada looked to be the better side, but results still matter.

It was not Canada's best squad. Alphonso Davies was injured and did not play. He may be the best player in Concacaf. Nor did they play John David. Canada definitely is better than this US Squad.

I rate Berhalter a D- in coaching this game. And I only graded him that high because we won. He values experience (MLS) over young talent. Acosta and Lleget can't move the ball forward. But they are good at passing to the side and backwards. Why did Sam Vines start? Why is Jackson Yeuill even on the roster? Why in the world start Zardes over Hoppe? Hoppe was great when he came into the game during the last 15 minutes. Eric Williamson should have started too. He is the best midfielder on this team.

The players I think that could make the national team (if Berhalter stops being so stubborn) Is Matthew Hoppe and James Sands. I can see Sands backing up Tyler Adams at the 6.

Roldan, Lewis, Pines on the roster? Berhalter is a perfect fit to coach a bad MLS squad.
Davies didn't play because of injury, but he's on the roster. This Canada squad represents Canada's A-team. The Gold Cup roster is clearly the USA's B-team at best. Not difficult naming about 15 guys from Pulisic on down that would have played the game if it meant qualifying for the World Cup.

And I, for one, wouldn't mind it if Zardes never put on a USA jersey again. Nothing against him personally, but he has feet of stone. Worst first touch of any player I've ever watched. So frustrating, because he has the physical tools, but should have gone to Europe and played there for years. The skill difference between Zardes and McKinney is ridiculous. And again, it's nothing physical, but the training McKinnie got is head and shoulders above anything Zardes ever received, and it translates on the pitch in spades.

As for the players on the squad who can make a WC squad, agreed that maybe there are four or five on the current roster. Dike being one, but he still needs some seasoning. Hoppe is coming off injury, and hopefully we'll see more of him as the Gold Cup progresses. The rest? We're probably talking about guys number 20 - 23 on a 23-man roster that won't see the pitch at a World Cup unless there are injury problems or yellow card/red card issues.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am happy with the US Gold Cup lineup tonight. Hoppe and Dike are starting. The only change I would have made is Williamson to start instead of Lleget. The midfield is going to be the weakness. Acosta has a tendency to lose the ball at inopportune times and fouls around the box. Busio is young and not strong enough, and Lleget has a problem moving the ball forward. That midfield is not creative, which is why I'd start Williamson. Hoppe is creative and great at dribbling. IMO he is the best player on this team.

Hoppe and Sands should make the USMNT for World Cup Qualifying. James Sands would be a good backup to Tyler Adams at the 6. Dike is iffy. He is a beast and athletic. Yet he isn't technical and needs to develop his skills. Acosta and Lleget will be a part of the "A" team. I hope neither starts.

I'm hearing Leon Bailey is not starting for Jamaica. That would be big but I don't believe it. Bailey is the best striker left in the Gold Cup. Jamaica also has the best goalkeeper in Concacaf in Andre Blake.

Berhalter actually is playing a good lineup. And because of that I believe the US will beat Jamaica.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Another ugly game, but US - 1 Jamaica - 0 seems about right. Had too many problems playing out of the back and way too many turnovers in our own half. Out of all the players today, I think Hoppe looked best. Busio and Dike has potential, but need more seasoning. Wouldn't mind seeing them on a WC roster for the experience, hoping they will bud into stars the next cycle.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

My thoughts.

I would like to see Matthew Hoppe as an option at the 9 (striker). The USMNT has a weakness at the striker position. Josh Sargent is being held back at Werner Bremen. He is stuck in his contract there as they are trying to return to Bundesliga 1. Daryl Dike needs to be more aggressive. I have not been impressed so far. Zardes is just not good enough. Hoppe can create and I'd like to see him get a chance at striker. Right now he is stuck with Schalke, another division 2 Bundesliga team. They will use him next season to try and move up to division 1. Hoppe's value could increase immensely if he shines in the remaining games in the gold cup. I still believe he is the best player on the gold cup squad.

As far as the backs I have been impressed. Walker Zimmerman, before injury, has really impressed. He can defend and pass. He was defensive player of the year in MLS last season. I would love to see him on the USMNT for World Cup qualifying. Yet, Miles Robinson and James Sands have been impressive also. I could see Sands at the 6, backing up Tyler Adams. He is a utility player who can play as a back as well as in the midfield. I think Robinson has been the most impressive player in the gold cup (along with Hoppe). Tim Ream needs to retire. There is too much talent in backs. Shaq Moore is better than Reggie Cannon and would be an option for the USMNT "A squad".

In the midfield I feel better about Acosta. He played great against Jamaica. However, he has shown inconsistency and makes fouls at the worst times. In the Martinique match he fouled in the box which caused a penalty kick and the only goal against Matt Turner. Which Kellyn Acosta will show up. If I could be more consistent I could see him back up Tyler Adams at the 6. Let's see what happens against Qatar. Right now I favor James Sands backing up Tyler Adams. I am not a big fan of Sebastion "back passing" Lletget. I understand why Berhalter likes him. He plays safe. But he stalls forward progress, and when we play against better competition Lletget becomes a liability. I do not understand him being on the national team. For the 8 I'd rather see Yunus Mussah or move Gio Reyna from forward wing to the middle of the field where he can show off his talent. As for the game against Qatar (a good team) who is a good counter-strike team, I am okay with playing Lletget for the fist 90 minutes, but put in Eryk Williamson for the last 30 minutes. He is far more creative and not as safe, but will bring energy to the team. As for Gianluca Busio, he is young, makes mistakes, and needs to work out for strength. Yet, he is a fighter, and plays good defense. I'm not sure if he is ready for the USMNT "A" team but I'm looking forward to his progression. Great potential.

Matt Turner has been fantastic as goalkeeper. I would like to see him with Steffen and Horvath for the USMNT.

Hoppe stands out for the forwards. He is dynamic and has technical skills. He is creative and is the best player on the team. He can make a name for himself with the remaining games in the gold cup and increase his value. He needs to get out of his contract and play for the top 5 leagues in Europe. He is that good. Really impressed. Roldan may be good for the last 30 minutes, I don't want to see him start. I haven't seen Gioacchini enough to make a judgement and I am not impressed with Zardes. Zardes does play with energy but isn't skilled enough to make a difference. Arriola has been injured and the only true wind on the team. Didn't pay good against Jamaica but will give him a pass due to rust.

I have been very unimpressed with Berhalter but he seems to be learning and is adjusting. I need to see more from him. The US soccer talent is growing by leaps and bounds and if Berhalter understands and adjusts I'm okay with him for now (Ream and Yueill need to go).
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Here is my prediction of the starting lineup.

I strongly believe the USMNT will play a 4-3-3.

Goalkeeper: Matt Turner - He has made a name for himself and I would him on the "A" team with Zack Steffen and Evan Horvath.

Center backs: James Sands and Miles Robinson. This is a no-brainer. Walker Zimmerman would start if not injured.

Wing backs: Sam Vines and Shaq Moore. I have become more impressed with both players during the gold cup.

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta, Gianluca Busio, and Sebastian Lletget. Acosta is very inconsistent. He can play great or suck. You don't know what you will get. Busio has his moments. He needs experience and fights hard. I'm glad he is getting experience. Sebastian "backwards passing" Lletget is the safe choice, and the player Berhalter will start. I'd rather play Eryk Williamson, who is more creative and risky.

Wing forwards: Matthew Hoppe and Paul Arriola. Matthew Hoppe is the best player on this squad, and Arriola is a true winger. Arriola is coming off an injury and is not in full form. The striker will probably be Gyasi Zardes, maybe Nicholas Gioacchini. I can't see Dike starting (heard he is injured). I'd rather see Hoppe as striker but who covers him at wing forward.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Got the lineup for today's game totally right except Dike is starting as striker. I didn't think he'd start because he hasn't impressed the last couple of matches. This is a decent lineup. Qatar is has a strong offensive lineup and is dangerous during the first 20 minutes. The US can't come out asleep or they will be in trouble.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The US looked bad in the first half. If it weren't for Matt Turner's goaltending we could be behind by at least 2 goals. The US got out shot 13-3.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The US can sure produce quality goal keepers. Add Turner to the list. Man of the match.

Another ugly game, not helped by the referees. The Qatar pk was questionable. Yes, he was tripped, but the ball was already behind the Qatari player. Was he truly impeded from a goal scoring opportunity? Can debate either way.

Would love to see the non-pk call that Zardes didn't get. If we don't score in the run of play, does the ref check VAR? We may never know. One thing I did like was Berhalter getting in the face of the 4th Ref during the goal celebration. Ball don't lie.

Last, we learned nothing from this game player wise. We were more fit than Qatar, and probably why we started to dominate the last 20 minutes. But player wise, Dike is invisible against decent opponents. Lleget plays 75% or more of his passes backwards, and Busio isn't ready for prime time yet. Giochini played better in his limited minutes.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The Canada/Mexico game is intense. Both teams are a lot better than the US. The US got really lucky so far. Canada didn't play Alphonso Davies. Leon Bailey was injured for Jamaica. Qatar had a lot of chances to score. At the end the US still almost didn't score against the worst defense in the gold cup.

I don't believe we can beat Canada again and will get clobbered by Mexico. BTW Canada just tied Mexico in the 58th minute.