Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:13 am Sucks that Chi is gone because now I can't tease him about his Spurs. :lol:
Why do you think I disappeared? ;)
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:43 am Chi - good to have you back as I was disappointed that I couldn't give you any shit about your Spurs last year. :P
Not sure what they have done to improve this year as all the talk is whether Kane will go to Bayern or not. Should know in the next couple of days.
They are a mess. Defense is complete shit and they have no plan to improve it. And they’re in limbo as far as Kane because they’ll stay in the upper half with him and pack the stadium. But they really could use the reset they would get by letting him go.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:53 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:13 am Sucks that Chi is gone because now I can't tease him about his Spurs. :lol:
Why do you think I disappeared? ;)
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:43 am Chi - good to have you back as I was disappointed that I couldn't give you any shit about your Spurs last year. :P
Not sure what they have done to improve this year as all the talk is whether Kane will go to Bayern or not. Should know in the next couple of days.
They are a mess. Defense is complete shit and they have no plan to improve it. And they’re in limbo as far as Kane because they’ll stay in the upper half with him and pack the stadium. But they really could use the reset they would get by letting him go.
Here's a nice preview for you. I agree they should try and reset but it feels like they think they are not far away - which is typical Spurs imo. Kane almost scored 50% of their goals last season so if he goes you would need to either replace him with a goal scoring striker or adjust their offensive approach imo. I think he stays as getting the all-time PL scoring record might play into it.

You also have a new goalie coming in so that will be interesting to see although he can't do worse than that frog Lloris. :lol:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/08/totte ... he-season/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Word just coming in that Bayern and Tottenham have agreed to a $110M deal for Kane but that Kane is going to turn it down and stay with the Spurs. Likely because he knows he’ll clean up in free agency next summer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:30 am Word just coming in that Bayern and Tottenham have agreed to a $110M deal for Kane but that Kane is going to turn it down and stay with the Spurs. Likely because he knows he’ll clean up in free agency next summer.
Spurs don't want to let him go for free. That would be disastrous when they can get a lot of transfer money to reinvest and get some quality players back.

He either leaves or Spurs offer him a huge new contract because as you point out he would clean up in free agency.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

So what then are the Spur's fans talking about after Ang's first game?

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:35 am So what then are the Spur's fans talking about after Ang's first game?

Season starts this weekend.

Looks like Kane is flying to Germany to take a physical even though The Athletic reported his travel was blocked by the club.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This PL transfer window as a whole feels like something never seen before.

Bellingham to Madrid
Rice to Arsenal
Caicedo to Liverpool or Chelsea
Paqueta to City
Havertz to Arsenal
Mount to United
Kane to Bayern
The Saudi League
And there still is the Mbappe to Madrid in the works.

The scriptwriters are working overtime this summer! All of the "Big 6" will have spent around 200mil pounds. Just nuts.

We think the portal is crazy - nothing like the Soccer transfer process.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kane is in Munich. I can’t believe he won’t be a Spur.

Time to tear it all down and rebuild.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:05 pm Kane is in Munich. I can’t believe he won’t be a Spur.

Time to tear it all down and rebuild.
Feel for you Chi. The Gunners were in the same position a few years ago. 10th & 8th place was tough to swallow for a big club.

But as long as Ange has a good growth plan the rise will be fun to track and watch.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:23 am
RichardCranium wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:35 am So what then are the Spur's fans talking about after Ang's first game?

Season starts this weekend.

Looks like Kane is flying to Germany to take a physical even though The Athletic reported his travel was blocked by the club.
But they've played an pre-season exhibition game, which was his first go at getting his players using his 'style'. Is nobody giving him 'way too early' grades yet?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The team has way too many holes to grade anyone accurately during the preseason.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

What's holding them back? I mean I've seen posts on here analysing what is going to happen to Arizona Volleyball in TWO YEARS time! Why can't the EPL teams figure it out with less than a month to go?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RC- they just lost a player yesterday who contributed close to half of their goals last season. Nobody has any clue what Spurs will look like this season.

The only guess is they will struggle this year as the try and re-build post Harry Kane era.

I think most pundits are saying City, Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool will make up your top 4. Spurs will probably be somewhere in the top half of the table.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe we’ll find out that Kane was just the beneficiary of amazing set-ups and a ton of free kicks. Maybe Son slides right in there and doesn’t miss a beat. But scoring goals was not their issue. The defense wasn’t improved and now the offense potentially has a giant hole. They’ll probably end up winning more than they lose just based on pure talent, but not by much.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Always good to start the season with 3 points but it got a little too nervy for the Gunners. Still aren’t showing that killer instinct to put teams away that they’ve been dominating the whole match.

Sake’s goal was world class. Rice played really well too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:30 am They’ll probably end up winning more than they lose just based on pure talent, but not by much.
I take it back. Spurs will be relegated. They can’t stop anyone.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:52 am
Chicat wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:30 am They’ll probably end up winning more than they lose just based on pure talent, but not by much.
I take it back. Spurs will be relegated. They can’t stop anyone.
I just caught the last 20 minutes when it was already 2-2. Considering it was the first game without Kane I didn’t think the result was that bad for playing a mid table team on the road right out of the gate.

But you are right. You can’t count on 3 goals a game for a win. Got to be able to stop people.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

0-0 at the half against ManU with a bunch of great chances and only a few glaring defensive lapses?

Going to count that as a win and not turn on the second half to watch Tottenham get smoked.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:21 am 0-0 at the half against ManU with a bunch of great chances and only a few glaring defensive lapses?

Going to count that as a win and not turn on the second half to watch Tottenham get smoked.
Just kidding. Been watching the whole game. Just need to hold a few more minutes and we can get the ManU monkey off our back.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nice win Chi. I couldn’t watch as I’m on my way to Ann Arbor.

Always nice to hear ManU take one on the chin. Especially when their self-absorbed fan base was talking a lot shit about how they were going to challenge City for the title.

Ha, they lost to Spurs!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:19 pm Ha, they lost to Spurs!
Ouch! :lol:

The dejected look on their fans faces was priceless. They had this game chalked up as a win.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

When you've lost Rachael Riley, you've lost your most important fan!

Rachel Riley: I will stop supporting Manchester United if Mason Greenwood returns
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tottenham have their best start to a season in over 50 years.

All smoke & mirrors.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:19 pm Tottenham have their best start to a season in over 50 years.

All smoke & mirrors.
Not saying a word…
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Arsenal is undefeated after 5 PL games but have looked underwhelming.

I don’t know how to feel.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hear next Sunday there might be a little tilt that could decide who’s a contender and who’s a pretender.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:38 pm I hear next Sunday there might be a little tilt that could decide who’s a contender and who’s a pretender.
I expect us to spank Spurs like the unwanted stepchild that they are. 😝

But we have a midweek CL game so interested to see if our depth Arteta has been praising comes to fruition.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why can’t I watch this match?

Maybe better that I can’t. Ugh…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:31 am Why can’t I watch this match?

Maybe better that I can’t. Ugh…
Oh, Google is my friend?

Just tuned in in time to see Maddison to Son. Beautiful
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tottenham 2
Romero 2
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hate draws.

Very encouraged though for my Spurs. My fears of relegation might have been misplaced.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I couldn’t watch it Chi. Here in Ann Arbor again with my daughter. Go Blue!

Disappointed dropping points to the Spurs. We were at home and we have loftier expectations this PL season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Arsenal didn’t look great tbh. Spurs dominated possession right up until the last five minutes of regular time. They had no counterattack and gave away too many chances.

Spurs didn’t look much better, but I didn’t expect them to. Tons of unforced errors. But I like the pace of play and how they are working as a team on the offensive end. The defense though is bad outside of some great 1-on-1 play today.

Sloppy game. I’ll gladly take the point.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have to give Gregg Berhalter credit for this roster. Tyler Adams and Jedi Robinson are injured.

The first thing that got me is putting Gio Reyna as a midfielder. Reyna is the prototypical 10.

I like the way Berhalter has dismissed the dinosaurs like Roldan, Arriola, Acosta...and replaced them with players who have talent, Like Musah (who will play the 6 while Adams is injured). McKennie, and especially Reyna. At is at midfield where he shines. This roster has him there (as it should). We have Pulisic and Weah at the wings. With Bolagun as the striker, the USMNT is potent on offense if used properly.

The defense isn't shabby either. Scally instead of Jedi. I am okay with that. Scally is really good and can play right or left side. Chris Richards is coming to his own. Cameron Carter-Vickers will be a force. But, he is just coming off an injury. It may be Tim Ream's last hurrah. I'm fine with Zimmerman.

Pulisic, Weah, Balogun are the choice of forwards. That is the starting lineup. Although consider Pepi and Aaronson.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/ ... 6d0cedace8
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spurs are in first place!

Whoodathunkit?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not me, that’s for sure.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Only on the second tie breaker and since we just beat City, Arsenal is “technically” in first (see the Enfuego technical win clause).😛

Go Gunners!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

So here is the starting lineup today against Germany in the friendly

Turner

Dest
Scally (Jedi is injured)

Richards
Ream

Musah (at the 6, Adams is injured)
McKennie
Reyna (finally)

Pulisic
Weah
Balogun

Berhalter is coming of age. This is the best US lineup he could possibly produce right now.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Pulisic for the goal. This is a high level soccer match. Fun to watch. USA 1 Germany 0 in the first half. IMO, the USA is a quarter final team in the World Cup right now. But play the right players and in the right formation, the USA is on the rise. With this lineup they are fun to watch.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The USMNT is outplaying Germany in the first half. It is because of skill.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Germany's defense is solid. They aren't allowing any good shots on goal
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I like that the US are playing their best players. But they still have a ways to go.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Game was close to me but the weather was shitty so stayed home.

You are right CITH, we still have a ways to go to compete at that level.

Nice to see my Gunner Havertz in the Germany lineup.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There are problems on the US team. Because of injuries (mostly) they can be a better team.

My analysis:

1. Goal Keeping: We need better back-up Goal Keepers. Turner may be the best GK on the US, and is a shot stopper, but he is not good with his feet. The US was always great with GK but that is a problem right now.

2. Center Backs - Chris Richards belongs and is going to get better. However, Tim Ream has surprises me recently, but shouldn't be on the team by the 26 World Cup. Cameron Carter-Vickers just came back from knee surgery. And he is on the team. If Carter-Vickers gets back to form, the USMNT will have him and Richards as CB. IMO, that is the best the USMNT has at CB when healthy.

3. Full Backs: Dest is great and getting better, but Jedi is injured and the USMNT only has serviceable players. No one stands out. Scally can play both sides and a good back up. Scally is a good fill-in but not good enough. Jedi is okay but that position is a weakness.

Midfielders: Tyler Adams is injured. He is the best defensive infielder on the team. No doubt about it. I liked to see Musah play as defensive midfielder. He sure is better than Acosta. McKennie is the enforcer. He likes confrontation. And he will get physical when necessary. Reyna is the key. He belongs at the 10, attacking midfielder and playmaker. That is where he belongs. He is like the QB of the team. He is just getting off an injury and isn't at his peak. I still don't have confidence that Berhalter will use him the right way. When Reyna is on, he is the best player on the team, especially teamed with Pulisic. Luca de la Torre is good as a sub. I like Makik Tillman too as attacking midfielder.

Wing Forwards: Pulisic and Weah are the best. No doubt about it. Brendon Aaronson has fallen off the map right now. He is not good enough to be on the team. He was good. I wonder what happened. His brother is good, Paxten Aaronson. Don't be surprised to see him soon. I don't see good subs (Perades?). We have good strikers with Balogun, Pepi, and Sargeant (when healthy).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Monday afternoon soccer wasn’t something I knew I needed in my life.

COYS!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is pretty.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spurs ain't gonna get relegated this year anyway.

Go Ange!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ll be in London the second weekend of December. Trying to talk the wife into going to see the Spurs play West Ham. So far she’s into it.