Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

psiclist23

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by psiclist23 »

Regarding Tarc: I swear i saw an article in the Star last week interviewing Tarc about one of the incoming freshmen, and he was quoted "I can't wait to play with him next year". Dam, why didn't i save that. No one else saw that?
cpt

Post by cpt »

I saw it - he was talking about playing with Kadeem Allen.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

fwiw, i just heard from some cal palz that ivan rabb could announce as early as tomorrow evening at the CIF state finals in berkeley. bishop o'dowd is playing mater dei for the title over at haas pavilion.

if ivan wanted to keep his verbal low-key, i suppose now's the time to do it, since cal's on spring break and the Arizona contingent is focused on their own tournament run...
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

cpt wrote:I saw it - he was talking about playing with Kadeem Allen.
It was next year, though, wasn't it?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

psiclist23 wrote:
cpt wrote:I saw it - he was talking about playing with Kadeem Allen.
It was next year, though, wasn't it?
Yes, it was posted here in several different threads.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PJC
Gabe/Trier
Smith
Anderson
Tarc

Not too shabby. Probably good enough to make the tourney. Not sure about our Pac finish. Let's see how the late signing period plays out.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Probably good enough for the tournament? That lineup with a bench of Simon, Trier, Allen, Pitts, Comanche and ristic is probably still the favorite to win the conference and be a 3-5 seed in the tournament.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
az91

Post by az91 »

thenewazcats wrote:Surprising.

Best of luck, Rabb. It would have been great to see him play for us.

I still feel great about Trier, Smith, Simon and Comanche. Plus Anderson and Allen. Different team. Not a defensive force. But still a 5 seed or better with a shot to make some noise in the tournament.
I'm not sure it was that surprising. Rabb seemed leery of the assumption he was going to Arizona some time ago. With Cal possibly on the upswing and being able to make a mark for the local team (and maybe some family pressure), it mostly likely was not that tough of a decision for him.

I think Miller had an idea he might not get Rabb, so that's why he went after "zero chance" Zimmerman and some of the other highly recruited bigs. I'm not sure there is much left in the late signing period for which we are in the running, but maybe there is a transfer that could make a mark.
az91

Post by az91 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Probably good enough for the tournament? That lineup with a bench of Simon, Trier, Allen, Pitts, Comanche and ristic is probably still the favorite to win the conference and be a 3-5 seed in the tournament.
Maybe, but I think there are still quite a few questions, including the following:

1. Will Ristic be able to improve his defense enough to stay on the floor for more than a few minutes per game?
2. Can Comanche play this year or is he a four-year project as some have suggested?
3. Will Ray Smith be recovered from his injury or will he have to redshirt?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah but with the Pac 12 being mediocre and everything...we're still already a lock for the tournament next year and still should win the conference.

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Lots of PT, just none in the post season...if rumors have any merit.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah but with the Pac 12 being mediocre and everything...we're still already a lock for the tournament next year and still should win the conference.
Pac 12 mediocre? Sorta doubt it. AZ, Cal, UCLA, OSU, and Utah will be good, maybe not tourney-good, but good. Oregon is losing Young. No idea about USC.

I wouldn't say we're a lock to win the Pac, not until the dust has settled from the late signing period, and until all players have made their NBA draft decisions.

Lots of unknowns still at this point.

But I do like a lineup of PJC, GY, RS, RA, and KT. Our bench looks very solid, too.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I'm as big of a York supporter as there is on this board. I find it very difficult to believe that Trier is not in that starting lineup. That guy is going to be a force at the guard spot. As good as we've ever had as a freshman scoring guard.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: He's not likely to win a natty either place, although here at least it could be a pipe dream.

So apparently Harvey doesn't think much of Sean Miller or the Arizona Basketball Program.

Good to know.
Nice try, though.
Try? What try?

I directly quoted you. No trying involved. As I said, good to know your opinion, and have it on record.
This is a weird take, POM. I don't think Harvey's reaching when he says a natty wouldn't be likely for a team losing all five of its starters, which would be the likely situation if Rabb were to commit. Pipe dream? That's being generous.

I mean this year's team is in the Elite Eight, and most people still are only giving us between 10-15% to win it all.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

thenewazcats wrote:I'm as big of a York supporter as there is on this board. I find it very difficult to believe that Trier is not in that starting lineup. That guy is going to be a force at the guard spot. As good as we've ever had as a freshman scoring guard.
So freshman Trier starts over senior York? Doubt it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: He's not likely to win a natty either place, although here at least it could be a pipe dream.

So apparently Harvey doesn't think much of Sean Miller or the Arizona Basketball Program.

Good to know.
Nice try, though.
Try? What try?

I directly quoted you. No trying involved. As I said, good to know your opinion, and have it on record.
This is a weird take, POM. I don't think Harvey's reaching when he says a natty wouldn't be likely for a team losing all five of its starters, which would be the likely situation if Rabb were to commit. Pipe dream? That's being generous.

I mean this year's team is in the Elite Eight, and most people still are only giving us between 10-15% to win it all.
Oh there's not take involved. I was just playin around by quoting him originally and saying he doesn't think highly of our coach/program. Then he got all serious, cause you know, the internet. So then I responded again playing up the getting-him-on-record angle.

What can I say, I was bored earlier today and the meds hadn't kicked in yet.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Katzenfreund wrote:If Ashley comes back, as he should, I'll take him over freshman Rabb any day of the week. Besides, I've become suspicious of players who stay at home to be close to their mom...
If either of the big guys come back we'll be just fine with or without Rabb...

EDIT: I mean without a one and done Rabb. I don't think he'll be so dominant as a freshman that he would contribute more than either Bash or Tarc. If both those guys go league and Rabb goes to Cal we'll be a little thin up front. Would've been a great opportunity for a certain Craig Victor.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Someone has to be coming back. Makes no sense to wait that long only to choose Cal.
Word from a Scout poster was that he was waiting to see who was staying at Cal, not Arizona, but I'm not convinced of that.

I just don't think CSM is going into next year with a front court rotation of three people.
Well this year the primary rotation in the post has been 3 post players and a SF sliding over to the 4. Next year if we add no body else then you're looking at 3 post players (Anderson, Ristic, Comanche) and a SF (Smith) sliding over to the 4 when needed. I imagine Comanche would play as much as Ristic has played this year, which is not a whole lot, but enough to get experience. This team definitely needs a major improvement next year out of Ristic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Someone has to be coming back. Makes no sense to wait that long only to choose Cal.
Word from a Scout poster was that he was waiting to see who was staying at Cal, not Arizona, but I'm not convinced of that.

I just don't think CSM is going into next year with a front court rotation of three people.
Well this year the primary rotation in the post has been 3 post players and a SF sliding over to the 4. Next year if we add no body else then you're looking at 3 post players (Anderson, Ristic, Comanche) and a SF (Smith) sliding over to the 4 when needed. I imagine Comanche would play as much as Ristic has played this year, which is not a whole lot, but enough to get experience. This team definitely needs a major improvement next year out of Ristic.
That's a good point, but Victor & Korcheck were our 4th & 5th bigs. Then when Victor abandoned us we were obviously thinner but Korcheck still was able to play when called upon due to foul trouble or could have in the event of an injury. So my thought is that CSM will continue to fill out the roster in much the same way. I'm guessing we'll have five guys that can play the PF/C.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

That's a good point, but Victor & Korcheck were our 4th & 5th bigs. Then when Victor abandoned us we were obviously thinner but Korcheck still was able to play when called upon due to foul trouble or could have in the event of an injury. So my thought is that CSM will continue to fill out the roster in much the same way. I'm guessing we'll have five guys that can play the PF/C.
Yeah my guess is we end up with a grad transfer of some sort who just wants to be on a winning team above all else, but won't be anything special a la Korcheck. I could see Miller taking a regular transfer though as well if the right guy is available.

At the moment there's only a couple of grad transfers that appear worth pursuing:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... onn-miller
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -thorne-jr.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Sounds like Mr. Rabb is scared of a little competition:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2015/mar/ ... wo-ku-out/

At the end of the day, I think I can go to a school and play right away,” Rabb told cal.rivals.com in a recent interview. “There’s nothing wrong with competition, but of course at the same time I want to make sure I’m going to a place where I’m going to play right away. It’s more about the school overall, but I definitely care who’s staying and who’s leaving.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2412 ... ona-vs-cal

IMO, The fact that he's committing before he finds out who's staying/leaving at AZ indicates that he's picked Cal. Good get for them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's not looking good with Rabb, but then, until 97 chimes in, I'm not quite ready to abandon hope he ends up in Tucson.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Puerco wrote: I mean this year's team is in the Elite Eight, and most people still are only giving us between 10-15% to win it all.
That's mostly because of the Kentucky once in a couple decades team, and the fact that they put Arizona and Wisconsin in the same region.

Any other season with a three loss Arizona team in the West Region we'd probably be 25-35% at this point.
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's not looking good with Rabb, but then, until 97 chimes in, I'm not quite ready to abandon hope he ends up in Tucson.
He does a podcast with Scheer. Re-read Scheer's tweet.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Katzenfreund wrote:If Ashley comes back, as he should, I'll take him over freshman Rabb any day of the week. Besides, I've become suspicious of players who stay at home to be close to their mom...
Odiemae doesn't like this post.

Cal's landed guys like Jason Kidd and Sharif Abdur Rahim,, the best one-and-done the conference has seen. They're still Cal.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It's not looking good with Rabb, but then, until 97 chimes in, I'm not quite ready to abandon hope he ends up in Tucson.
He does a podcast with Scheer. Re-read Scheer's tweet.
Also, I don't think 97 ever said Rabb was secretly coming to Arizona. "Patience" meant have patience because Rabb won't decide until the spring and until then we just won't know. Well, it's spring, and now we know. 97 would be the first to say, "I'm out of patience."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Time to move this to arch-rivals.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

It hope Ivan enjoys the kind of relationship with Cuonzo that TJ did with Miller.

And I hope Ashley returns and crushes him in a head-to-head matchup.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Time to move this to arch-rivals.
What game Sat? They aren't playing in the CBI.

Tami Rabb seems annoying. Probably drives a financed Acura and treats herself to a frappacino after a hard session at Curves.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The high school championship is being played at Cal.

Cal fans are going to be extra unbearable next year. They probably think they're going to own us now. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:The high school championship is being played at Cal.

Cal fans are going to be extra unbearable next year. They probably think they're going to own us now. :lol:
God forbid they beat us once next year or they'll turn into Colorado fans 2-3 years ago.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is hard to imagine why Cal would have more appeal to a kid in his situation. He is going into a program with an inferior coach, inferior staff, inferior facilities, inferior roster; but his mom and other 'advisors' want him to stay how and resurrect the Cal program and be a guaranteed starter during his one-and-done campaign. He watched AZ blitz Cal on a couple of occasions this past year and watch Cal play mediocre basketball throughout the season; so if that has appeal to him, what can you do?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You know, for such a great basketball program, we sure ran into a lot of things we couldn't do anything about today for some reason.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:You know, for such a great basketball program, we sure ran into a lot of things we couldn't do anything about today for some reason.
Ryan > Miller

Kaminsky/Dekker > our entire team

These are the "things" we couldn't do anything about.
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Time to move this to arch-rivals.
What game Sat? They aren't playing in the CBI.

Tami Rabb seems annoying. Probably drives a financed Acura and treats herself to a frappacino after a hard session at Curves.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Beachcat97 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:You know, for such a great basketball program, we sure ran into a lot of things we couldn't do anything about today for some reason.
Ryan > Miller

Holy Shit I've never been as dumbfounded by you as others have been until this post. So I guess that's the "thing" I couldn't do anything about.

Really??
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Ryan > Miller

Bo Ryan is an old woman who will be one-tenth the coach Miller is when all is said and done.

Kaminsky is a flopping fraud. It was Sam Dekker who should be the West Region MVP and had much more to do with being POY than any other Badger.

Our team needs to figure out a way to extend the D until it can kill the stepback three.

And what we can do something about, RC97, are your mood swings. You blow with the winds and have no loyalty to anything, it seems.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What the hell did Bo fuckin Ryan do besides watch his team put on one of the greatest shooting performances in NCAA tournament history? His team didn't make any adjustments. They chucked up shots and they fell. Credit him for assembling this team and coaching them to this point, but in game he did absolutely nothing but sit back and watch. He didnt have to manage four of his five starters foul trouble, which might I add, Miller did a brilliant job of. Those threes dont fall and hes looking at a double digit loss.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Ryan > Miller

It is comical that a pathetic and bipolar UCLA reject like yourself would have the gall to stand in judgment of the excellence of Sean Miller's program and all that it has achieved. Your trivial and meaningless existence is unfortunate; the fact that the team could not lift you out of your own rut is your problem, not theirs, or ours.

GTFO the bandwagon. There is no room for you here, nor any desire to make any. You degrade the value of my Arizona degree. Leave and don't come back.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Rabb took it to Michael Cage tonight. Game in OT
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Rabb won it with a free throw.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Almost airballs the first 'throw:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And until Arizona plays there next season...that's the biggest crowd he'll ever play in front of til the nba.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gonna make his mom mad!

Miller making a last minute push?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

No last minute push. He'll play at Cal where he can start, and get all the minutes promised to him. Plus his parents can have any seat in the house they want to watch him from their hometown.

Good for him, and congrats on the last championship he'll celebarate in a very, very long while.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Olsondogg wrote:No last minute push. He'll play at Cal where he can start, and get all the minutes promised to him. Plus his parents can have any seat in the house they want to watch him from their hometown.

Good for him, and congrats on the last championship he'll celebarate in a very, very long while.
Maybe forever :lol:
cpt

Post by cpt »

Did he make it official last night? Anyone think this is a Rick Rickert situation where the kid wants one thing and the parent trumps what the kid wants?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So with the Rabb ship sailed is there still no chance at big Zimm?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cpt wrote:Did he make it official last night? Anyone think this is a Rick Rickert situation where the kid wants one thing and the parent trumps what the kid wants?
He did not make it official last night. Maybe didn't want to upstage his team.
3goggles wrote:So with the Rabb ship sailed is there still no chance at big Zimm?
I don't think so. He's going to an Adidas school.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?