Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by ASUHATER! »

3goggles wrote:So with the Rabb ship sailed is there still no chance at big Zimm?
Never was a chance
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:You know, for such a great basketball program, we sure ran into a lot of things we couldn't do anything about today for some reason.
Ryan > Miller

Kaminsky/Dekker > our entire team

These are the "things" we couldn't do anything about.
It is comical that a pathetic and bipolar UCLA reject like yourself would have the gall to stand in judgment of the excellence of Sean Miller's program and all that it has achieved. Your trivial and meaningless existence is unfortunate; the fact that the team could not lift you out of your own rut is your problem, not theirs, or ours.

GTFO the bandwagon. There is no room for you here, nor any desire to make any. You degrade the value of my Arizona degree. Leave and don't come back.
Even odds he didn't watch the game.
Right where I want to be.
az91

Post by az91 »

3goggles wrote:So with the Rabb ship sailed is there still no chance at big Zimm?
"Zero Chance"
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Rabb's delaying his decision leaves a glimmer of hope for the Cats

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/ivan-rabb-l ... ege-choice

With the title game on Cal’s homecourt, there was speculation that Rabb would announce afterward that he would be joining the Bears. Cal is viewed as the front-runner over Arizona.

“I was planning on making it today, but I’m not sure right now,” Rabb told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I don’t want to rush into a decision. I think it’s coming very soon, though.

“I’m very heavily considering this school for sure, without a doubt. I want to make that clear. I still want to talk with my family, Make the right choice.”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think he should go to Cal. Not only will he be a starter, but he'll be featured. You can't even guarantee him 15+ minutes at Arizona depending on who returns.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:Rabb's delaying his decision leaves a glimmer of hope for the Cats

With the title game on Cal’s homecourt, there was speculation that Rabb would announce afterward that he would be joining the Bears. Cal is viewed as the front-runner over Arizona.

“I was planning on making it today, but I’m not sure right now,” Rabb told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I don’t want to rush into a decision. I think it’s coming very soon, though.

“I’m very heavily considering this school for sure, without a doubt. I want to make that clear. I still want to talk with my family, Make the right choice.”
I don't think he held off announcing his decision to let Arizona or anybody else back into it, I think he just held it off so he could make the night about his team winning the championship as opposed to making it about himself.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I don't think he held off announcing his decision to let Arizona or anybody else back into it, I think he just held it off so he could make the night about his team winning the championship as opposed to making it about himself.
Then why say "I'm not sure"? Doesn't that also make it about himself?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Then why say "I'm not sure"? Doesn't that also make it about himself?
From what I understand he never said he was formally going to announce his commitment yesterday and his mother was the one hinting he would, so naturally the press asked him about it. I'm not going to fault the kid for just saying something when he's put on the spot after a literal last second OT win.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah. Now might be the time to chat with the fam.
Right where I want to be.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Have we heard from 97?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

you know CSM and pasternack still talking with ivan.

btw - what's the latest on cal's APR score? hope they are hitting the books hard - in the last report cal was at the bottom of the pac (with wazzu), just clearing the 4-year minimum score and below the 2-year minimum (940) based on the '15 standard. could result in penalties and affect their eligiblity in the postseason moving forward.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I still want to talk with my family

Meaning he is going to try to one more time to let his mom let him go to Arizona over Cal.

Since he is under 21 a parent or guardian does need to sign for him no matter how much he wants to go to Arizona.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote:I still want to talk with my family

Meaning he is going to try to one more time to let his mom let him go to Arizona over Cal.

Since he is under 21 a parent or guardian does need to sign for him no matter how much he wants to go to Arizona.
You mean under 18.

This definitely seems like a situation very similar to Rick Rickert. I wonder if it's more a matter of wanting Ivan close to home, or whether a loyalty to Cal. It may not matter in this case but in the case of Rick Rickert it may have cost him an opportunity to play in the NBA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: You mean under 18.

Actually it is 21:

Schools recruiting a student-athlete will send a National Letter of Intent, indicating an official scholarship offer. A parent or legal guardian of a student-athlete under the age of 21 is required to sign the letter of intent along with the athlete.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Everything I've ever read on his recruitment was that he wanted to go to Cal. So, because he is pulling the trigger for Cal, what makes you think he wants to play at UA...ego?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I have no idea how to separate a recruit's decision from what he wants, so to me Rabb wants to go to Cal and will announce that. If I'm wrong it's only because those in the know gave me bad information over Twitter.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

3goggles wrote:Have we heard from 97?
He posted on scout that he's out of patience.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

speaking of 97, is he on the payroll on any site? just wondering (not implying or anything) since we rarely hear from him anymore so I thought perhaps that would be a reason why.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:speaking of 97, is he on the payroll on any site? just wondering (not implying or anything) since we rarely hear from him anymore so I thought perhaps that would be a reason why.
I assume he does it all for free. But he's been around on this site recently, too.
Salty

Post by Salty »

PieceOfMeat wrote:speaking of 97, is he on the payroll on any site? just wondering (not implying or anything) since we rarely hear from him anymore so I thought perhaps that would be a reason why.
He should be paid.

Although, being paid would likely change his relationship status with the program and that could mean he would get less info or not be able to share as much.

And I think he makes enough at his primary job to make an added role on here no really worth it.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Bet he announces at the McD AA game to give Cal more visibility or something stupid like that. So the announcers can slobber over Cuonzo getting one over on Sean Miller and Arizona. Probably do the whole hat fake like Cliff Alexander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ZONACAT wrote:Bet he announces at the McD AA game to give Cal more visibility or something stupid like that. So the announcers can slobber over Cuonzo getting one over on Sean Miller and Arizona. Probably do the whole hat fake like Cliff Alexander.
I don't know if he'll go full hat, but I'd put big money on him announcing Cal at McDonald's All-American.
az91

Post by az91 »

cpt wrote:Did he make it official last night? Anyone think this is a Rick Rickert situation where the kid wants one thing and the parent trumps what the kid wants?
It doesn't sound like the Rickert situation. It seems like Rabb has been leaning toward Cal for a while.
az91

Post by az91 »

enfuego wrote:

Everything I've ever read on his recruitment was that he wanted to go to Cal. So, because he is pulling the trigger for Cal, what makes you think he wants to play at UA...ego?
It is a shame he did not decide in the fall, so the coaching staff did not have to waste time and pass on other recruits. It seems that kids really enjoy the recruiting process even when they know all along they are going to a certain school.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

things may not change between now and wheverheannounces, but i gotta believe that the longer this thing drags out, the better for Arizona.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Keep in mind Cal targets Caleb Swanigan (who also won his state title) and Jaylen Brown will also be in Chicago for the high school all-star contest, and the rumors of trying to get them all to Berkeley

Wow if true.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Keep in mind Cal targets Caleb Swanigan (who also won his state title) and Jaylen Brown will also be in Chicago for the high school all-star contest, and the rumors of trying to get them all to Berkeley

Wow if true.
Won't happen. But I encourage all 37 Cal fans to get their hopes up and then crushed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

These combo recruiting packages never seem to work out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:Keep in mind Cal targets Caleb Swanigan (who also won his state title) and Jaylen Brown will also be in Chicago for the high school all-star contest, and the rumors of trying to get them all to Berkeley

Wow if true.
I don't remember Cal ever being a school with national pull. Now if Cuonzo was coaching Stanford or UCLA then there could be something into landing an elite kid from the midwest and an even more elite kid from Georgia, but it's nice that Cal has dreams that big I suppose. I sure hope Rabb doesn't truly believe his presence at Cal will cause all of these dominoes to fall. If he does then I feel bad for the kid.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Holding out hope that IR can't resist playing for AZ next season and surprises everyone this week.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

LOL. I'm at the point that I don't want a "me first" type player, which is what this looks like. The idea that he "doesn't know" is bullshit.

Move on. The program is, and always will be, bigger than one kid's decision.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
etank34

Post by etank34 »

He's not coming here. Sounds like we'll be looking for a graduate transfer to get another big.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Luckily Arizona is at the point of success where success doesn't hinge on one recruit.

Rabb's loss, we will fine another him.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Swanigan did say that he has not scheduled any more official visits, and he won’t necessarily wait until current college players make their own announcements on the future before revealing his school choice.

“Toward the end of the season – about this time – you know which guys are most likely going to go,” Swanigan said. “Even if they don’t, it’s really not a huge factor of where I want to choose to go.”

California has made a late push for Swanigan, who is close friends with Ivan Rabb, a fellow McDonald’s All-American and top Cal recruiting priority.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2015/0 ... cruitment/
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Swanigan did say that he has not scheduled any more official visits, and he won’t necessarily wait until current college players make their own announcements on the future before revealing his school choice.

“Toward the end of the season – about this time – you know which guys are most likely going to go,” Swanigan said. “Even if they don’t, it’s really not a huge factor of where I want to choose to go.”

California has made a late push for Swanigan, who is close friends with Ivan Rabb, a fellow McDonald’s All-American and top Cal recruiting priority.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2015/0 ... cruitment/
If he goes to Cal, he shouldn't have to worry about who's declaring.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:These combo recruiting packages never seem to work out.
Duke IS in the Final Four this year....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I've gotta say, I have assumed Rabb was going to Cal but not so sure after this video.

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

enfuego's head would spontaneously combust if Rabb did pull the trigger to Zona. That's worth it in itself.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. That video changes my outlook significantly.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Don't get your hopes up, fellas.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think we should all sit around on somebody's bedroom floor and tape our reaction to the announcement and upload it to youtube.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned wrote:I think we should all sit around on somebody's bedroom floor and tape our reaction to the announcement and upload it to youtube.
I feel like I've read this post from you in a few different threads & sites & I keep laughing out loud each time. HAHAHA
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

JMarkJohns wrote:Don't get your hopes up, fellas.
You are definitely more than in the know than I am, but I will play amateur psychologist.

It is strange to me he keeps talking about having to talk to his parents before doing anything. It isn't that hard to contact your parents in the year 2015, and I can only imagine how many hours of conversation Ivan and his parents have had about this decision.

He also mentions specifically Miller's name (not a big deal), but also mentions a little more about his role in the Arizona offense and mostly just seemed more engaged when talking about Arizona than Cal. (bigger deal) He basically just said Cal told him to start something new than be apart of something established. Also said they need additional players and didn't exactly seemed overjoyed by the likely possibility that Brown and Swanigan won't be joining him. (My conjecture)

This coupled with his mom trying to get a lot of fans to the HS title game at Haas and the entire Cal coaching staff showing up, makes me believe that Ivan is leaning Arizona and his mom and maybe other family members want him at Cal. It seems to me that title game was his mom's big push to get Ivan to commit on the spot and in the moment, which I can admit would be pretty cool. Savior of Cal basketball commits to Cal in front of a gym full of Cal fans after winning state title.

But it seems Ivan has flipped the script. The game clearly didn't do enough for him and he held off announcing. I don't buy the "I didn't want to take away from my teammates" company line. Cal basketball potential savior playing a big game in Haas will never make the game about anyone else but him. It seems to me he held off due to wanting to play for a better program his one year and potentially make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament with other top-notch talent and he is in a stand-off with his mom/family right now. Someone will probably blink in the next week (likely him), but that is my feel on the situation with no insider knowledge at all.

Is this crazy? Seems like a reasonable assumption in my head. Interested on the thoughts of others.
Last edited by azcat34 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The thing that jumped out at me was when referencing Miller, he said "he'll put me in a position..."

Not getting my hopes up, but that video is probably making Cal fans a little uncomfortable.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I hope his decision making process is better on the court.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I still maintain he should go to Cal. He'd likely get 34 minutes and 14-15 shots a game. He'd probably get more national media exposure at Arizona but if he averages 10 and 4, does it matter?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"Sean Miller would put me in a position to do well".

Hmmm. Okay, but..

I don't really see this as a change IR's decision (to go to Cal). Could be, but sounds more like his "interview answers" regarding his recruitment.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Whatever. If he goes to Cal, I hope it works out for him.

Sorta feel like IR's decision won't be as impactful as BA's and KT's.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I still maintain he should go to Cal. He'd likely get 34 minutes and 14-15 shots a game. He'd probably get more national media exposure at Arizona but if he averages 10 and 4, does it matter?
I'd think it would be better to have point guard to feed you, and a center next to you boxing out.

Since everyone is guessing, here's my guess: He's been persuaded for some time now by Cuonzo's "Don't be a part of something, be the start of something" line. Sometimes another salesman closes.