gumby

Re: Sean Miller

Post by gumby »

Salty not impressed.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm going to really be shocked/crushed if we don't make the Final Four. Even last year, I didn't have this feeling. This year, it seems like our time.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm going to really be shocked/crushed if we don't make the Final Four. Even last year, I didn't have this feeling. This year, it seems like our time.

I agree but it will be no easy feat to make it to the final four.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm in the same boat.

FF is the expectation. Anything less than then and its a failed season.

It is time.
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

In the past eight years, Sean Miller has been to the Sweet Sixteen SIX times.

6/8. That's on pace to be some Izzo level shit right there.

Just needs the Final Four/Natty. It's coming.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Last edited by gumby on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

'ZONA97 wrote:In the past eight years, Sean Miller has been to the Sweet Sixteen SIX times.

Totally agree. I keep hearing "best coach of his generation" but I don't think that captures the extent of Miller's ceiling. You look at his record and metrics, compare them to the greats at similar points in their careers and he either meets or exceeds them.

Frankly, I think Miller is the next All-time great modern-era coach...I'm taking Wooden, K, Dean Smith level type results/records.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:
'ZONA97 wrote:In the past eight years, Sean Miller has been to the Sweet Sixteen SIX times.

Totally agree. I keep hearing "best coach of his generation" but I don't think that captures the extent of Miller's ceiling. You look at his record and metrics, compare them to the greats at similar points in their careers and he either meets or exceeds them.

Frankly, I think Miller is the next All-time great modern-era coach...I'm taking Wooden, K, Dean Smith level type results/records.
I agree
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:

No one will ever touch Wooden, but Miller can exceed K, Smith and the rest if he hits his ceiling. K has the best resume, and that number of nattys is exceedable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm going to really be shocked/crushed if we don't make the Final Four. Even last year, I didn't have this feeling. This year, it seems like our time.

Wisky is a really, really good team and XU will be a tough out. I just get this feeling. Like I posted before, I just get the old fashioned romantic feeling about this team where I'd do anything to bone it.

As good as we were last year, I lost that feeling when Ashley went down. This year, it just seems like the magic is still happening.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

No one will ever touch Wooden, but Miller can exceed K, Smith and the rest if he hits his ceiling. K has the best resume, and that number of nattys is exceedable.
Agree on Wooden, but that was a different era. I choose those names basically as representative of their respective eras in College BB.

Miller took some K mojo when he shook his hand after the beat-downs in 2011 and 2013. He's the next iteration.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

Wisky is a really, really good team and XU will be a tough out. I just get this feeling. Like I posted before, I just get the old fashioned romantic feeling about this team where I'd do anything to bone it.

As good as we were last year, I lost that feeling when Ashley went down. This year, it just seems like the magic is still happening.
Totally spaceman.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CST, I agree on Wooden's era. I think I posted in the ceiling thread that Miller could be the greatest coach in the history of modern college basketball. Wooden is the greatest of the old days, but modern era is just a different beast.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Last year, Bo Ryan got to shed the label of one of the best coaches to never reach a Final Four, in the year his father passed away. It was a nice story.

This year is Coach Miller's turn.

BTFD.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think I want this more for CSM than I do for myself. He just deserves this so much for so many reasons but mostly for his passion for the game, his players and the U of A.

I think the players feel the same way.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

:lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote: :lol:
well that's interesting. was he responding to someone on twitter directly?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

it was pretty clear from the postgame presser that he was in no mood to put up with any elite 8 debbie downer bullshit
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Last edited by HiCat on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I heart Miller. The season was anything but a failure.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"It was like a video game"

Now, I'm not saying that Miller and Arizona are going to go out and win the national title in 2016. But we shouldn't look at Miller's track record and say that the guy can't win the big one, either. After all, what happened against Wisconsin was an offensive performance that we likely won't see replicated any time soon.

The Badgers made 10 of their 12 3-point attempts in the second half, and dropped 1.62 points per possession with a ridiculous 105 percent effective-field goal rate (yes, the Badgers shot better than 100 percent when accounting for the fact that a 3 is worth more than a 2). And they did it against the fifth-best defense since 2006 according to KenPom's adjusted defensive efficiency metric, which makes it all the more crazy. And the last time a team dropped 85 points on an Arizona/Sean Miller team? Try Feb. 27, 2013.

Even Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan -- who has been coaching college basketball for 40 years -- said after the game that he can't remember one of his teams getting hot the Badgers did in the second half of this game.

"I can remember getting hot the last five minutes, hitting like your last seven shots, 10 free throws in a row," Ryan said. "I can remember some of those. But this one I'm going to enjoy quite a bit because Arizona gave us everything they had. And I'm sure Sean is looking at that and going, 'Come on, how many times is that going to happen?' You know, they're a team that won their league, won the conference tournament, got to this point. We were in the same position. One of us had to stay home. But, no, I don't remember one like that, not for a half."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... tten-coach
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That comment from Ryan sums my thoughts up: how many times is this going to happen?

There's no way I'd call this season a disappointment, per Miller above. It is disappointing to come this close again, then get derailed by a historic offensive explosion. It's disappointing for players who worked hard, a coaching staff who did the same and fans who have seen this before.

Between the Illinois comeback, Uconn's hot streak, Kaminsky last year and Kaminsky plus this year, all our last 4 trips to the Elite Eight have lost to aberrant greatness. How many times is this going to happen, and when is it our turn?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: :lol:

I had to check and see if this was actually Coach or the Fake Sean Miller account.

He is the man.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

HiCat wrote:Miller is an excellent coach.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... lls-short/
All positive comments below the article, even one from a Wisconsin fan. Except this one:

"Winners win. Sean Miller loses. He’ll be ousted from U of A someday. All that talent and he can’t get to a final four. Choke artist."

RockyRaccoon? RiseAndFire?
-JB
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:That comment from Ryan sums my thoughts up: how many times is this going to happen?

There's no way I'd call this season a disappointment, per Miller above. It is disappointing to come this close again, then get derailed by a historic offensive explosion. It's disappointing for players who worked hard, a coaching staff who did the same and fans who have seen this before.

Between the Illinois comeback, Uconn's hot streak, Kaminsky last year and Kaminsky plus this year, all our last 4 trips to the Elite Eight have lost to aberrant greatness. How many times is this going to happen, and when is it our turn?
Yep, other than Wiscy last year, all the other E8 losses were to damn good teams that went on to the title game. And we played them all as tough as can be. Forget being a few plays away from many more final fours, we are a few plays away from a couple more titles. Our fate has to turn around at some point.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

All positive comments below the article, even one from a Wisconsin fan. Except this one:

"Winners win. Sean Miller loses. He’ll be ousted from U of A someday. All that talent and he can’t get to a final four. Choke artist."

Snarky comment by a truly challenged fan. Apparently he doesn't want to give credit to his Wisc team for shooting the lights out. Watch the game sober bub. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Machina
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Machina
Oh i'm sure Phoechina is over the moon at Miller's "go cheer for asu" comment.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Wow, gloves are off now that Herb is gone:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO. Nice job Coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Javier Morales on why Sean Miller actually is not the best coach to never to reach a FF:

http://allsportstucson.com/2015/03/30/d ... ppearance/
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Javier Morales on why Sean Miller actually is not the best coach to never to reach a FF:

http://allsportstucson.com/2015/03/30/d ... ppearance/
The whole "hasn't reached the FF" thing should always come with a "yet."

He's still young in his coaching career. In a way, saying he's the best who hasn't reached a FF is a huge compliment because there are a ton of experienced coaches who haven't. For Miller to be the best of that group at such a young age, he must really be doing big things.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat34 wrote:Wow, gloves are off now that Herb is gone:
The jab at ASU is great, but don't understand why he felt the need to address the trolls of the fanbase.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The jab at ASU is great, but don't understand why he felt the need to address the trolls of the fanbase.
Because at some point you feel the need to. I have no issues with him calling out the idiots. None.

I just hope Machina didn't get his feelings hurt.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Because at some point you feel the need to. I have no issues with him calling out the idiots. None.

I just hope Machina didn't get his feelings hurt.
I just think a guy in his spot, who owes no one an explanation or an apology by any stretch of the imagination should feel the need to address a mentally handicapped minority of people in the world in a negative manner. Trolls are going to troll. Giving them an ounce of attention only breeds more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't blame him one bit for addressing the trolls. For one thing, he's saying what many of his players can't. Not one person on this team failed. You don't win 34 games if you're a failure. For another, the spoiled entitlement of some people gets out of control sometimes. As if Sean Miller and these kids owe somebody a Final Four. They don't owe people shit beyond representing the university with class and distinction and providing some entertainment for their investment. And if you weren't entertained by this team, then you probably should go cheer for ASU. Find out what true failure looks and feels like.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I didn't see the couple of tweets before that one. Disregard my stance on it, it went perfectly with his other tweets.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:I don't blame him one bit for addressing the trolls. For one thing, he's saying what many of his players can't. Not one person on this team failed. You don't win 34 games if you're a failure. For another, the spoiled entitlement of some people gets out of control sometimes. As if Sean Miller and these kids owe somebody a Final Four. They don't owe people shit beyond representing the university with class and distinction and providing some entertainment for their investment. And if you weren't entertained by this team, then you probably should go cheer for ASU. Find out what true failure looks and feels like.
This. Sean Miller is protecting a team that he loves from unjust criticism.

Look, the idea that the season was somehow a failure cause ONE more game wasn't won, is a fucking joke. I've always said it's about the ride, and not the destination.

Once we do get to a Final Four, and yes it will happen, is there anyone on here that will be happy to lose that game? No, we would all want to win it and then the next one too.

I think back to 2001 and I don't think about how great it was to win that Elite 8 game, I think about how we lost the Dook game.

It's the nature of fans. Sean Miller is protecting his players and acknowledging their accomplishments--which were fantastic. I have no issues with him doing that, and donkey punching ASSU at the same time.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I don't blame him one bit for addressing the trolls. For one thing, he's saying what many of his players can't. Not one person on this team failed. You don't win 34 games if you're a failure. For another, the spoiled entitlement of some people gets out of control sometimes. As if Sean Miller and these kids owe somebody a Final Four. They don't owe people shit beyond representing the university with class and distinction and providing some entertainment for their investment. And if you weren't entertained by this team, then you probably should go cheer for ASU. Find out what true failure looks and feels like.
If ASU lost in the Elite Eight, they would give the coach a lifetime contract and immediately begin researching how to clone him to enable the clone to take over when the real one dies. This year, we won more tournament games than ASU has in the last 18 years.

Our "disappointments" would be the zenith of their program's history. We're lucky to cheer for this program.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sean Miller has won the same amount of tournament games in the last two years that Asu has won in their last 40 seasons.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If ASU lost in the Elite Eight, they would give the coach a lifetime contract and immediately begin researching how to clone him to enable the clone to take over when the real one dies. This year, we won more tournament games than ASU has in the last 18 years.

Our "disappointments" would be the zenith of their program's history. We're lucky to cheer for this program.
Absolutely. I 100% agree.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Last Elite 8 for all other Pac-12 schools:

Arizona State: 1975
Colorado: 1963
Utah: 1998
Oregon: 2007
Oregon State: 1982
Washington: 1953
Washington State: 1941
Cal: 1960
USC: 2001
Stanford: 2001
UCLA: 2008

Arizona: The last 2 and 3 in the last 5 years.

Program is in great hands.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat34 wrote:Last Elite 8 for all other Pac-12 schools:

Another way to say it is that Sean Miller is the only PAC 12 coach to lead a PAC 12 team to an Elite 8. And he's done it 3 times.
az91

Post by az91 »

Ivan Rabb should take a look at this list.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO @ 1960
Salty

Post by Salty »

That's fine and dandy, but Arizona has higher goals and expectations than the rest of the conference.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:

That's fine and dandy, but Arizona has higher goals and expectations than the rest of the conference.
Are we not achieving those higher goals and expectations? I would think 34 wins, a conference title, a conference tourney title, and an elite 8 is quite the achievement. Unless you're one of those "every year we don't get to the Final Four is a failure" people of course. Then you're just an idiot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Salty wrote:

Right, but some teams haven't made the Elite Eight since the tourney was segregated.

We have higher expectations, but we are meeting them. We are just getting hosed by teams having insane luck against us.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The idea of winning/losing the last game of the year determining the success/failure of said year is beyond my ability to comprehend.

How does a person live life with expectations set like that?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think it was Chi who said in a different thread that great coaches keep their team within striking distance of the FF on a consistent basis. Actually getting to the FF requires some strokes of luck, and unfortunately, we just haven't gotten a lucky bounce. We haven't made 10 three pointers in single half. We haven't gotten a key foul call in OT. It sucks. But these things aren't Miller's or our players' fault. It's just the nature of this crazy game we love. Miller will keep us within striking distance of the FF, maybe not every year, but certainly every few years. And we'll eventually catch a little luck on that second weekend of the tournament.