Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:
Some wacky team full of super lanky/lucky white boys shoots 105% from three in the Elite 8. Etc.
bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I was sitting directly behind the Whisky basket during their historical second half scoring barrage, and i kept saying there is no way they can continue to make this many threes -- and as each one kept dropping, hitting nothing but nylon, the unthinkable became a nightmare.

the caper was Dekker's one footed rainbow prayer from 22 feet falling away at the end of the game that made my nightmare a palpable reality.

players and athlete's talk about getting the the zone, sometimes ordinary players elevate and do amazing things beyond their own limitations -- Mark Lemke in the 1996 NLCS comes to mind.

Sam Dekker just had one of those days.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It was even said during the broadcast:

"Sean Miller has to tell his guys that they can't keep this pace up, that if they stay calm, Wisconsin will start missing and they'll come back."

A few minutes later:

"Well, maybe they can keep this up."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

One of these years, it's going to be an Arizona player we're saying this about. It's gonna be something like, "Gabe York had never made let alone attempted that many threes in his life, but they just kept falling like rain, which is why AZ advanced to their first Final Four since '01."
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:One of these years, it's going to be an Arizona player we're saying this about. It's gonna be something like, "Gabe York had never made let alone attempted that many threes in his life, but they just kept falling like rain"
that happened in the round of 32
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

97cats wrote: was sitting directly behind the Whisky basket during their historical second half scoring barrage, and i kept saying there is no way they can continue to make this many threes -- and as each one kept dropping, hitting nothing but nylon, the unthinkable became a nightmare.

the caper was Dekker's one footed rainbow prayer from 22 feet falling away at the end of the game that made my nightmare a palpable reality.

players and athlete's talk about getting the the zone, sometimes ordinary players elevate and do amazing things beyond their own limitations -- Mark Lemke in the 1996 NLCS comes to mind.

Every time another one of those threes dropped, the "you gotta be sh*tting me" got louder where we were watching the game. I mean how the hell were they doing that? These guys aren't shooting 80%+ from three in shootarounds, yet those shots kept going through. I don't know if Arizona is cursed or if the hoops gods are smiling on the Badgers, but Arizona just wasn't going to win that game short of having Kaminsky and Dekker arrested and hauled off the court.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

On Wiscy's amazing 3pt shooting in the 2nd half, I hope everyone realizes that:

- 1 of them (Dekker's final 3 with 0:20 left) shouldn't have even been shot because we should have fouled with 52 sec left down 5. Instead, the team just goes on playing D while the clock goes from 52sec to 20sec. :shock:
- 2 of them (in a row) were because Miller thought 6'5 Pitts would be a good person to guard 6'7 Dekker. :shock:
- 2 of them were wide open because 7'0 Kaleb had to go run out at Nigel Hayes and Kaminsky past the arc (because of pack-line man defense)

Their barrage of 3s wouldn't have even factored in if we didn't have the famous slow start to each half.
1H: 2 points in the first 5 min (outscored by 8)
2H: 3 points in the first 3 min (outscored by 11, ballgame)

Sorry some of this stuff is Miller's responsibility and hopefully the coaching staff grows/learns from it instead of just throwing up the hands and ignoring it like the ASU game tape. Otherwise we can expect just a few more S16's and EE's before the recruits start doubting and choosing other schools
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:On Wiscy's amazing 3pt shooting in the 2nd half, I hope everyone realizes that:

- 1 of them (Dekker's final 3 with 0:20 left) shouldn't have even been shot because we should have fouled with 52 sec left down 5. Instead, the team just goes on playing D while the clock goes from 52sec to 20sec. :shock:
- 2 of them (in a row) were because Miller thought 6'5 Pitts would be a good person to guard 6'7 Dekker. :shock:
- 2 of them were wide open because 7'0 Kaleb had to go run out at Nigel Hayes and Kaminsky past the arc (because of pack-line man defense)

Their barrage of 3s wouldn't have even factored in if we didn't have the famous slow start to each half.
1H: 2 points in the first 5 min (outscored by 8)
2H: 3 points in the first 3 min (outscored by 11, ballgame)

Sorry some of this stuff is Miller's responsibility and hopefully the coaching staff grows/learns from it instead of just throwing up the hands and ignoring it like the ASU game tape. Otherwise we can expect just a few more S16's and EE's before the recruits start doubting and choosing other schools
Go cheer for Syracuse if you like the 2-3 so much. Ignore the early exits from the tourney, snow, child rape and sanctions and it's an awesome fan experience.

I figure you're trolling or stupid, but again, the folly of ripping our defense after the two best defensive years in our school's history is staggering.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please don't quote obvious trolls. Especially those that can only pretend to know what they are talking about from an Xs & Os standpoint.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:One of these years, it's going to be an Arizona player we're saying this about. It's gonna be something like, "Gabe York had never made let alone attempted that many threes in his life, but they just kept falling like rain"
that happened in the round of 32
Sorta. Gabe was great in that second round but nothing like what Dekker did to us. I mean, if not for Dekker, we probably win that game despite nearly 30 from Kaminsky.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

azpenguin wrote: Every time another one of those threes dropped, the "you gotta be sh*tting me" got louder where we were watching the game. I mean how the hell were they doing that? These guys aren't shooting 80%+ from three in shootarounds, yet those shots kept going through. I don't know if Arizona is cursed or if the hoops gods are smiling on the Badgers, but Arizona just wasn't going to win that game short of having Kaminsky and Dekker arrested and hauled off the court.
Great point... it'd be staggering to see a team hit 80% from 3 in warmups or even a HORSE competition. It's one thing if they're all wide open shots because we doubled Kaminsky, but Dekker was hitting fadeaways, pull-ups, etc. No one was going to beat that team when they're shooting like that.

But the biggest takeaway for me, as Gumby so eloquently put it already, is that despite Wisconsin's historic 3-point barrage, we were still within arm's reach until the very end. We just ran out of time. Had they started shooting like that in the 1st half, everyone would have thought at halftime, "No way they keep shooting that way for another half." Eventually you figure they'd start to cool off (as they did after jumping to a 10-2 lead).

How anyone can even think of saying Sean Miller or the players "underachieved" is ridiculous. We're damn lucky to be "disappointed" with back-to-back Elite Eights!

BEAR DOWN!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Chicat wrote:Please don't quote obvious trolls. Especially those that can only pretend to know what they are talking about from an Xs & Os standpoint.
Is this an az fan forum or a "Sean Miller Fanboy Club"? Put your earmuffs on Chicat here comes something critical of Miller!!

**This team, for the talent on it (TJ and four 5-star recruits) ultimately lost three games to RPI 75-150 scrub teams that played zone to beat us, costing a 1 seed, again failing to make a FF. That is a disappointment and a big chunk belongs to CSM and his one-dimensional game-prep and one-dimensional in-game coaching. ***

Earmuffs, Chicat!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Am I supposed to put those earmuffs over my eyes?

Look, I get it. You're looking for attention. Congrats, you got it. Briefly...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Those boys shoot a ridiculous 50% from three and we win by two, with the line being that Wisconsin was only in the game because of the three ball. But 67%? There is no way to beat that. And it's not like it was bad defense. Props to Wisconsin. We will get some luck eventually.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Admit it, people. We all knew Arizona would need at least 86 points to win this game Because it was 64-63 last year in OT.

Face the facts!
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Taking a team to the Final Four is what separates the great coaches from the good coaches.

Signed,
Rick Barnes
John Brady
Tom Crean
Mike Davis
Paul Hewitt
Bruce Webber
John Thompson III
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Did someone really suggest that switching to a zone might have stopped Wisconsin in the second half? Seriously?

Hmm... Why did many teams play a zone against Arizona? Because they wanted to pack the paint and prevent us from getting in the lane. They wanted to force us to shoot over the top of it, and take their chances that we could not.

So... The way you pull an opponent out of a zone is to make perimeter shots. But the recently exiled (and now disguised) village idiot is back proposing that as the answer last Saturday - against a team that was killing us by making perimeter shots? Pure comedy... This is the same guy who has accused most of the board of never having played organized basketball.

He's an unfortunate case. People who have real friends do not keep showing up places where they know they are not wanted and their opinions aren't valued. Only stray dogs do that.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

RiseandFire = RockyRaccoon

Banhammer.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Salty wrote:You and I simply have different expectations.

I expect the Cats to make the Final Four.
That's a really stupid expectation. Irrational for that matter.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Salty

Post by Salty »

Reydituto wrote:

What... Two posts in a row from Rey, and no multi-quote or marathon response?

What is this!?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Salty wrote:
Reydituto wrote:

What... Two posts in a row from Rey, and no multi-quote or marathon response?

What is this!?
Some things really are that simple ...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Some wacky team full of super lanky/lucky white boys shoots 105% from three in the Elite 8. Etc.

I was sitting directly behind the Whisky basket during their historical second half scoring barrage, and i kept saying there is no way they can continue to make this many threes -- and as each one kept dropping, hitting nothing but nylon, the unthinkable became a nightmare.

I really don't want you in attendance the next time we are in the Elite 8. I mean, I joked about it last year but now I'm fuckin serious.

Let's party in vegas for the pac tourney, but stay away from the NCAA.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I really don't want you in attendance the next time we are in the Elite 8. I mean, I joked about it last year but now I'm fuckin serious.

Lay off 97, I'm the true jinx. I was there this year, last year and in '98. I'm sure there are people here who were there for all of those as well as 2011, but I feel I have a strong case as a big reason we've lost so many Elite Eight games.

I tried everything to be different from last year... no jersey or hat, different socks, etc. None of it worked. If a public stoning is called for, I'm ready to accept my fate.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Lay off 97, I'm the true jinx. I was there this year, last year and in '98. I'm sure there are people here who were there for all of those as well as 2011, but I feel I have a strong case as a big reason we've lost so many Elite Eight games.

I tried everything to be different from last year... no jersey or hat, different socks, etc. None of it worked. If a public stoning is called for, I'm ready to accept my fate.
Beardown! True fan right here. I can take some of the blame the only Elite 8 games I have been to were the 97 and 01 season with my Dad. Damn it!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:Did someone really suggest that switching to a zone might have stopped Wisconsin in the second half? Seriously?

Hmm... Why did many teams play a zone against Arizona? Because they wanted to pack the paint and prevent us from getting in the lane. They wanted to force us to shoot over the top of it, and take their chances that we could not.

So... The way you pull an opponent out of a zone is to make perimeter shots. But the recently exiled (and now disguised) village idiot is back proposing that as the answer last Saturday - against a team that was killing us by making perimeter shots? Pure comedy... This is the same guy who has accused most of the board of never having played organized basketball.

Save it man. Someone who thinks that a zone prevents three point shooting is running to google to find out wht "getting in the lane" means.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Did someone really suggest that switching to a zone might have stopped Wisconsin in the second half? Seriously?

Save it man. Someone who thinks that a zone prevents three point shooting is running to google to find out wht "getting in the lane" means.
There's one person around here that has an ongoing love affair with zone for no real reason. It is what it is.

Pretty much everyone else understands we are really good at D under Miller and shouldn't mess with what's working.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
azpenguin wrote: Every time another one of those threes dropped, the "you gotta be sh*tting me" got louder where we were watching the game. I mean how the hell were they doing that? These guys aren't shooting 80%+ from three in shootarounds, yet those shots kept going through. I don't know if Arizona is cursed or if the hoops gods are smiling on the Badgers, but Arizona just wasn't going to win that game short of having Kaminsky and Dekker arrested and hauled off the court.
Great point... it'd be staggering to see a team hit 80% from 3 in warmups or even a HORSE competition. It's one thing if they're all wide open shots because we doubled Kaminsky, but Dekker was hitting fadeaways, pull-ups, etc. No one was going to beat that team when they're shooting like that.

But the biggest takeaway for me, as Gumby so eloquently put it already, is that despite Wisconsin's historic 3-point barrage, we were still within arm's reach until the very end. We just ran out of time. Had they started shooting like that in the 1st half, everyone would have thought at halftime, "No way they keep shooting that way for another half." Eventually you figure they'd start to cool off (as they did after jumping to a 10-2 lead).

How anyone can even think of saying Sean Miller or the players "underachieved" is ridiculous. We're damn lucky to be "disappointed" with back-to-back Elite Eights!

BEAR DOWN!
this is neither here nor there at this point, but fwiw i caught the tail end of the wisconsin open practice at staples (just before the Arizona session), where ryan had the team run a halfcourt shooting competition between the guards and bigs. to the delight of the crowd, shots were going down on *both* sides. the final score was something like 6-4 to the guards.

Arizona ran the same drill and... zero shots went in. things quickly devolved into guys grabbing rebounds and dunking, practicing layups, and whatnot.

not saying that this is a barometer of wisconsin's shooting from distance by any means, but it's sort of interesting (I GUESS) how foreboding it was of our game.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i have attended (all loses):

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

thats 0-5 in the ELITE 8 for those scoring at home
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

97cats wrote:i have attended (all loses):

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

Time to send the Cats east!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Took Bo Ryan 12 years to get the Badgers back to the FF. (Three of their four runs have gone through us. It's personal!). Before that, one EE.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

Did you take your pants off for any of those games?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Where the hell is UDUG
Salty

Post by Salty »

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

Ouch
gumby

Post by gumby »

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

Please don't make a podcast about this. Depressed enough.

Can remember being giddy about going 3-0 in regional finals. 1-6 since.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

97 is now banned from future Elites 8s located in the greater LA area. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

'98, '03, '11, '14, '15

damn! You clearly need to start wearing our colors.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Currently 6th highest paid coach in the country at $3,484,500 with a maximum bonus of $1,260,000 (which is 3rd highest)

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Just one more piece of info. to show how much Sean Miller has accomplished in a short head coaching career, not to mention how young he is compared to other elite coaches. Had we beaten Wisconsin, he'd be the youngest coach in the Final Four by 10 years.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Coop Cat wrote:Currently 6th highest paid coach in the country at $3,484,500 with a maximum bonus of $1,260,000 (which is 3rd highest)

I had no idea Sean Miller made that much, but he does cash in on a lot of bonuses. I thought he was in the mid-$2 million range. It's comforting, really. Plus, there's the oil stock money looming in a few years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:Currently 6th highest paid coach in the country at $3,484,500 with a maximum bonus of $1,260,000 (which is 3rd highest)

Bargain.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

North Carolina ACC Roy Williams -- $1,911,402 $123,800
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:North Carolina ACC Roy Williams -- $1,911,402 $123,800
That's shocking. Well, here's a guy who isn't in it for the money. Imagine what he could've made if he stayed at Kansas.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:North Carolina ACC Roy Williams -- $1,911,402 $123,800
That's shocking. Well, here's a guy who isn't in it for the money. Imagine what he could've made if he stayed at Kansas.
It's not about the money for Roy. It's about the academic fraud.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

would be a big pay-cut --- or would UNC come up?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:

I had no idea Sean Miller made that much, but he does cash in on a lot of bonuses. I thought he was in the mid-$2 million range. It's comforting, really. Plus, there's the oil stock money looming in a few years.

Same here. Thought it was 2.4 - 2.6 range. 3.4 cool
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

97cats wrote:would be a big pay-cut --- or would UNC come up?

Miller to UNC?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jajoyce wrote:

Miller to UNC?
not as of today, but its the only job in AMERICA to pose a serious threat -- i put the odds at better than 50/50 that if he was offered the Carolina job that Coach Miller would take it.

Ohio State used to be somewhat of a concern but that has subsided -- Carolina has not.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
jajoyce wrote:

Miller to UNC?
not as of today, but its the only job in AMERICA to pose a serious threat -- i put the odds at better than 50/50 that if he was offered the Carolina job that Coach Miller would take it.

Ohio State used to be somewhat of a concern but that has subsided -- Carolina has not.
Even with the pending investigation? I understand the draw, but I'd figured that UNC's draw was at low tide right now because there's a pretty big storm on the horizon.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im told that investigation isnt going to lead to much at the end of the day --- it will die with Roy

the longer Miller goes without getting to that cemented Final Four at AZ the more vulnerable he is to leave for UNC; this yr was the perfect yr to not only kick the door in but to also genuinly hand the keys of the city to the man.

didnt happen
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:im told that investigation isnt going to lead to much at the end of the day --- it will die with Roy

the longer Miller goes without getting to that cemented Final Four at AZ the more vulnerable he is to leave for UNC; this yr was the perfect yr to not only kick the door in but to also genuinly hand the keys of the city to the man.

didnt happen
That's been my concern for the past two years, and the biggest part of my disappointment without getting over the hump. Some fans ask about Miller's ceiling when we should really be concerned with Miller's perception of Arizona's ceiling.