Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: Sean Miller

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:North Carolina ACC Roy Williams -- $1,911,402 $123,800
That's shocking. Well, here's a guy who isn't in it for the money. Imagine what he could've made if he stayed at Kansas.
if i remember correctly, roy's contract at unc is structured with a relatively low base salary and padded with a lot of bonuses. that's not unusual, but anything on top of base salary is exempt from disclosure (even via FOIA at public unis, i believe) if the program chooses - which makes it tough to make apples-to-apples comparisons in that usa today report.

his listed salary doesn't include guaranteed shoe/apparel & media (nike, learfield, etc.) income, for example, as well as bonuses for season performance, APR/grad rate (hah!), awards (e.g., CoY), camps, ppr fund, and so forth.

granted, roy could likely have pressed unc for more money, but he essentially doubled his base pay when he moved on from ku ($129k to $260k in '03) for a chance to win a natty without the politics or (lack of) leverage at kansas. plus, i think he just doesn't care that much about the money and is happy to be at his alma mater where he'll finish out his coaching career.

would likely be much different with any other coach of his caliber.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

LH,

unfortunately, its a valid concern -- but only for two options UNC or NBA, i dont think Ohio State is much of a realistic threat anymore.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Some fans ask about Miller's ceiling when we should really be concerned with Miller's perception of Arizona's ceiling.
That's an interesting thought. Why would Miller's perception of AZ's ceiling be any different than UNC's?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

97cats wrote:LH,

unfortunately, its a valid concern -- but only for two options UNC or NBA, i dont think Ohio State is much of a realistic threat anymore.
97, if you can, why would UNC have such pull with Miller? I'm not aware of any unc-miller ties/history, so I'm genuinely interested into why that particular job would be so enticing.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Some fans ask about Miller's ceiling when we should really be concerned with Miller's perception of Arizona's ceiling.
That's an interesting thought. Why would Miller's perception of AZ's ceiling be any different than UNC's?
Because Pac-12.

Miller broke through part of it this season in Vegas, but IMHO Miller shares the (unfortunately largely legitimate) national perception that the conference is always competing to stay above fifth in the Power 5 because it doesn't properly invest in itself.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

aside from being at one of college basketball's pinnacle programs, does CSM also have roots/relationships over in carolina from his nc state days?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Would Carolina be interested in Miller?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Because Pac-12.

Miller broke through part of it this season in Vegas, but IMHO Miller shares the (unfortunately largely legitimate) national perception that the conference is always competing to stay above fifth in the Power 5 because it doesn't properly invest in itself.
Fair enough, I've chimed in with some thoughts that our smalltime commish and the reffing debacles could help drive him out....I guess I just hadn't carried that thought through to a ceiling for AZ overall, as once we get to the real tourney, we leave that mickey mouse pac12 shit behind.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dirtbags wrote:aside from being at one of college basketball's pinnacle programs, does CSM also have roots/relationships over in carolina from his nc state days?
Ahhhh, see, I totally forgot about this assistant coaching days there. For some reason in my head, it went pitt->xavier->az

5 years, maybe he fell in love with the state or something? Kinda odd to have some huge tie to unc from assistant coaching at nc state?

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Piece of Meat wrote:Fair enough, I've chimed in with some thoughts that our smalltime commish and the reffing debacles could help drive him out....I guess I just hadn't carried that thought through to a ceiling for AZ overall, as once we get to the real tourney, we leave that mickey mouse pac12 shit behind.
Did we this time, though?

Our issues with bigs like Ashley constantly getting limited PT because of fouls didn't go away this tourney.

That is where IMHO Arizona's "ceiling" lies, if anywhere.

Hell, I wouldn't want to submit myself to the provincial grinder of constant whistles against the rulebook for our post guys, even at home, year after year after f*cking year--particularly with what thug bullsh*t Cal and Stanford pulled this time around.

You shouldn't have to be above that all the time, especially in McKale. You should expect somebody who shoves you after the whistle to get consequences, even if the contact isn't always called the right way.

It's still a major problem Miller has with this conference, and I don't blame him.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

that's where byrne needs to step in, work with the other ADs, and push for reform. shouldn't be Miller's problem to solve
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Piece of Meat wrote:Fair enough, I've chimed in with some thoughts that our smalltime commish and the reffing debacles could help drive him out....I guess I just hadn't carried that thought through to a ceiling for AZ overall, as once we get to the real tourney, we leave that mickey mouse pac12 shit behind.
Did we this time, though?

Our issues with bigs like Ashley constantly getting limited PT because of fouls didn't go away this tourney.

That is where IMHO Arizona's "ceiling" lies, if anywhere.

Hell, I wouldn't want to submit myself to the provincial grinder of constant whistles against the rulebook for our post guys, even at home, year after year after f*cking year--particularly with what thug bullsh*t Cal and Stanford pulled this time around.

You shouldn't have to be above that all the time, especially in McKale. You should expect somebody who shoves you after the whistle to get consequences, even if the contact isn't always called the right way.

It's still a major problem Miller has with this conference, and I don't blame him.

Did BAsh's foul issues against wisconsin occur because a pac12 ref was calling that game? While I agree his limited PT was an issue, those calls were bad calls and not due to him being afraid to play D because of the pac12 season.

I don't blame him for hating the officiating situation either. It seems everyoen except larry scott hates it.

Salty

Post by Salty »

The PAC-12 crap is overblown.

Miller wouldn't get favorable calls playing at Duke, NC State, or Syracuse either.

And there didn't seem to be much of a difference to what Arizona faces in the PAC-12 to what was faced in the tourney.

Btw, those who complain about the coach of year or other awards from the conference... Keep in mind that Coach K, perhaps the best coach in modern history, has only won the ACC coach of the year award 4 times. That may yield some perspective.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Salty wrote:Would Carolina be interested in Miller?
thats the $64k question but im told they would
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
First, we're talking about an Arizona program that Miller couldn't get to the Final Four. Had Arizona got past Wisconsin on Saturday, we wouldn't be having that conversation. If Arizona doesn't do it in the coming years, we'll still be having this conversation, but with greater urgency. Enter an offer from UNC. If you can think of a better job than that in all of college basketball, I'd like to hear it. Miller will only get that chance once. Does he turn down his only chance for a new start in arguably the most attractive job in all of college basketball to stay at an Arizona that he could never get over the hump with? Maybe, but I'd agree that it sounds like less than 50%.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
First, we're talking about an Arizona program that Miller couldn't get to the Final Four. Had Arizona got past Wisconsin on Saturday, we wouldn't be having that conversation. If Arizona doesn't do it in the coming years, we'll still be having this conversation, but with greater urgency. Enter an offer from UNC. If you can think of a better job than that in all of college basketball, I'd like to hear it. Miller will only get that chance once. Does he turn down his only chance for a new start in arguably the most attractive job in all of college basketball to stay at an Arizona that he could never get over the hump with? Maybe, but I'd agree that it sounds like less than 50%.
UNC and UK.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the state and coast of North Carolina is the Southern California for folks in Pittsburgh
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:the state and coast of North Carolina is the Southern California for folks in Pittsburgh
:lol:

Ok, fair enough.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If Miller leaves, I am slitting my wrists.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Salty wrote:
UNC and UK.
zero chance
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we don't go to a final 4 by 2017 I could definitely see Miller going to unc.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
But why, in this hypothetical, would his perception of his ceiling be higher at unc than at az? I sort of get the "new start" angle but not the angle that his own perceived ceiling would be higher at unc. maybe I just don't fully appreciate why unc would be such a step up from the az job? seems he can get same level of recruits to az, fan base loves him, etc. etc.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Salty wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
UNC and UK.
The first one you build a new era with. The second one you hope for quick success and then get the hell out of town. Even more so post-Cal than it was under Pitino and Tubby. (Who is Billy Gillespie?)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:im told that investigation isnt going to lead to much at the end of the day --- it will die with Roy

the longer Miller goes without getting to that cemented Final Four at AZ the more vulnerable he is to leave for UNC; this yr was the perfect yr to not only kick the door in but to also genuinly hand the keys of the city to the man.

didnt happen
Hmm. I'm no insider, but with the investigation reportedly on fraud back to the 90's plus the recent Butch Davis sanctions for FB academic fraud, I'd always assumed the scope would be broader than Roy.

Cementing that hold would be nice, and it would be frustrating to lose him for that reason. We aren't missing for lack of ability, we're missing for lack of luck. We just haven't gotten the breaks (except for Ashley's foot, which deprived us of a NC).

So it goes with a talented coach, I guess.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
But why, in this hypothetical, would his perception of his ceiling be higher at unc than at az? I sort of get the "new start" angle but not the angle that his own perceived ceiling would be higher at unc. maybe I just don't fully appreciate why unc would be such a step up from the az job? seems he can get same level of recruits to az, fan base loves him, etc. etc.
i love AZ Basketball as much as the next guy, but UNC is one of the only programs that can legitimately say that its a step up to AZ......plus, Coach Miller and his family love North Carolina, thats no secret.

if Coach Miller was going to leave behind what hes created at AZ its only going to be for one UNC -- the days of the other interesting jobs are over........but working against AZ was the inability to get to the Final Four.

had it happened this yr or last it woulda been almost impossible for Coach Miller to leave for anything outside the NBA.

didnt happen.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Miller isn't gonna want to move his family again, at least not anytime soon. And by then I would hope he has kicked that door down. You would think losing in the E8 yet again will accelerate his drive even more. It's not like if he goes to UNC he'll waltz into Final Fours every year with ease. It's just as difficult for them or any other school, we've seriously just been unlucky/unfortunate in the E8 the past few go-rounds and Miller has to recognize this. I don't see him quitting on AZ. If Lute can win a title here than Miller can too, the ceiling doesn't get any higher, this bitch is vaulted. Maybe I'm naive. I'd be real disappointed if Miller left for UNC. But I do understand it a little if he loves the state, I like the beaches there too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Why would he turn down his only chance at UNC -- a dream job -- for the program where he never got over the hump with? Arizona may not be Kentucky, but even Arizona can start to get heavy with its unmet expectations for a Final Four. I have no idea whether he'd take it, but leaving the experience of a ceiling for the dream of a new chance in a dream circumstance sounds compelling. At that point Arizona isn't a dream, but rather the repeated realization of an inability to break through that ceiling. Which kind of sounds like what you're saying and I feel like we're saying the same thing: one chance + potential v. staying put and keep trying.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why not Duke 97? Why not take Tobacco Road's premium program?

Or as the rumors say, it's in house only?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Because Pac-12.

If anything being in a conference that's perceived as a major conference due to its cash pay out and being absolutely dominant in the conference and in the region helps the cause for Miller to stay. He goes to the ACC and talk about competition for not only high level recruits, but good luck getting 30 win seasons there as he does here.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

plus the ability to Coach at North Carolina for the next 20yrs+ and retire in a dream location

look, im not saying it happens for sure, but if UNC come calling Sean Miller will definitely listen and i put the odds at better than 50/50 that he takes it. some of that has to do with his preconceived perception and admiration for North Carolina and the quality of life in that state and some of it has to do with the fact that he hasnt had the wet cement poured on his ankles in Tucson yet --- people will not do that till he makes a Final Four.

that circumstance cause the door to remain slightly ajar

timing was perfect this yr -- didnt happen
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Merkin wrote:Why not Duke 97? Why not take Tobacco Road's premium program?

nothing to do with Duke, Coach Miller would never go there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've never gotten the allure of Duke. Aside from how much success Kryzyzewski has had, they lack a lot of the advantages of other "big" jobs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:plus the ability to Coach at North Carolina for the next 20yrs+ and retire in a dream location

look, im not saying it happens for sure, but if UNC come calling Sean Miller will definitely listen and i put the odds at better than 50/50 that he takes it. some of that has to do with his preconceived perception and admiration for North Carolina and the quality of life in that state and some of it has to do with the fact that he hasnt had the wet cement poured on his ankles in Tucson yet --- people will not do that till he makes a Final Four.

I live in Tucson. Tell me where he lives and I'll have him wearing cement shoes by the end of the day.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:plus the ability to Coach at North Carolina for the next 20yrs+ and retire in a dream location

And Arizona and its fans get to pay for it? How tragically sad.

How long before we point out to the obvious fact that he's outrecruited everyone not named Kentucky since 2012 (arguably 2011 just based on ratings)? Somehow that means even with these highly rated classes that he can't get over the hump simply because he's coaching these guys at Arizona and not UNC? I get what you're saying, but frankly that's a load of horse crap and if he truly believes it then the man needs a reality check. It's not Arizona's fault that he hasn't been to a Final Four and any man with common sense and facts recognizes that. I'm not insinuating its his fault either, but it most certainly is not the University of Arizona name or program that is at fault here.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ChooChooCat wrote:If anything being in a conference that's perceived as a major conference due to its cash pay out and being absolutely dominant in the conference and in the region helps the cause for Miller to stay. He goes to the ACC and talk about competition for not only high level recruits, but good luck getting 30 win seasons there as he does here.
agreed. there's something to be said about being "king of the west". it's a pretty big deal to pretty much own everything west of the rockies in terms of the program, recruiting, scheduling, media; but it all starts with the pac-12. the pac needs to be a much stronger basketball conference, staring with ucla, otherwise CSM becomes an upgraded mark few.

it would also kill me if Miller were to bolt for unc and win it all there. cements carolina's program as the destination where coaches get over the hump and win*

* unless you're matt doherty. but he was never close before unc.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:

How long before we point out to the obvious fact that he's outrecruited everyone not named Kentucky since 2012 (arguably 2011 just based on ratings)? Somehow that means even with these highly rated classes that he can't get over the hump simply because he's coaching these guys at Arizona and not UNC? I get what you're saying, but frankly that's a load of horse crap and if he truly believes it then the man needs a reality check. It's not Arizona's fault that he hasn't been to a Final Four and any man with common sense and facts recognizes that. I'm not insinuating its his fault either, but it most certainly is not the University of Arizona name or program that is at fault here.
you missed the point completely -- congratulations
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I've never gotten the allure of Duke. Aside from how much success Kryzyzewski has had, they lack a lot of the advantages of other "big" jobs.
Ratface makes $7.2M per, Cryin' Roy $1.9M.

But if 97 says it ain't happening, it's not happening.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If anything being in a conference that's perceived as a major conference due to its cash pay out and being absolutely dominant in the conference and in the region helps the cause for Miller to stay. He goes to the ACC and talk about competition for not only high level recruits, but good luck getting 30 win seasons there as he does here.
agreed. there's something to be said about being "king of the west". it's a pretty big deal to pretty much own everything west of the rockies in terms of the program, recruiting, scheduling, media; but it all starts with the pac-12. the pac needs to be a much stronger basketball conference, staring with ucla, otherwise CSM becomes an upgraded mark few.

it would also kill me if Miller were to bolt for unc and win it all there. cements carolina's program as the destination where coaches get over the hump and win*

* unless you're matt doherty. but he was never close before unc.
At UNC, you can be king of the world. That's been demonstrated, and I get why we'd need to show the same thing here. I think we can, just will we have time?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

What a totally inappropriate and snide remark. I now know my place. Thanks.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

97 is probably the best non-premium source this site has.

Don't upset the Zen Master
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Salty wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I appreciate that for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with him talking down to me when maybe there was just merely a misunderstanding. I suppose I'll just read and not post from here set forth if that's the way things are going to be.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Salty wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I appreciate that for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with him talking down to me when maybe there was just merely a misunderstanding. I suppose I'll just read and not post from here set forth if that's the way things are going to be.
Probably was just a misunderstanding.

Feel free to continue to contribute. This site is full of people harping on each other. It's a fun community, try not to get offended easily.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

1) If Miller left for the TarHoles, I would slit my wrists.

2) Merkin is correct, Duke is planning to keep it in house. Plus whoever it is, is going to be in a world of hurt following K, Duke does not have the same recruiting reach as UNC and this will diminish after K.

3) I certainly can agree with the quality of life and desire for a dream job, but it isn't "Arizona's" fault Miller missed on the FF the last four tries.

4) While the AD may be looking at Miller, I know for a fact that the average booster and Carolina fan contingent do not have Miller as #1 on their list and would not be immediately happy with Miller ball. Not saying that they can't change, but they are very much of a "You have to win with style" crowd, and think Miller ball is too defensive minded at the expense of offense. (not my opinion, but what I've gathered from talking bb with lots of good knowledgable UNC friends out here)

5) (Caveat, my opinion) Miller is a slave to Kenpom and that is at least as much a minor obstacle to his success as his perceived future success with Arizona as a brand. Guidelines and metrics are great, but there are times when you have to break rank, even for a short time within games, and just roll the ball out and let the talent play. Miller is incredibly inflexible with his system and this is more likely why he hasn't gotten to the promised land. That won't change if he's at Arizona, UNC, the Lakers, etc.

6) This is not to diminish the pull of NC as a geographic location and in proximity to family. IF he were to lead, I would hope he would stick to his Trademark honesty and call a spade a spade, and say he's leaving for tradition and family; but not because UNC gives him the best chance at a FF/Championship, because that excuse doesn't fly.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Whatever. As long as people don't confuse my concerns about Miller's possible concerns for Miller's actual concerns. If you're going to take me at my word, I can quickly and easily assemble 5-10 witnesses from this very board able to testify that I'm a nut job. If you give it more time, I'll at least quadruple that number.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Longhorned wrote:Whatever. As long as people don't confuse my concerns about Miller's possible concerns for Miller's actual concerns. If you're going to take me at my word, I can quickly and easily assemble 5-10 witnesses from this very board able to testify that I'm a nut job. If you give it more time, I'll at least quadruple that number.
Someone who considers Chicago to be "Upper Louisiana", is a nut job. Plain and simple.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dropping the ball against UNLV, ASU, and ntOSU, also likely caused Miller to miss on this years final four, but sure thats ARIZONA's problem...

Again, I would hope, if it came to that, he would tell it how it is and not blow smoke...

I'd become an instant Duke fan, that is how much a Miller move to UNC would burn...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hate UNC.

I hate the "we are the first public institution, but perpetuate elitism" mentality.

I hate the "Carolina Way".

I just don't like their BB team.

I have always seen them as the biggest threat, and today's discussions have confirmed my worst fears, fears that have likely colored how I have viewed UNC since moving here.

I hate UNC.
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dropping the ball against UNLV, ASU, and ntOSU, also likely caused Miller to miss on this years final four, but sure thats ARIZONA's problem...

Again, I would hope, if it came to that, he would tell it how it is and not blow smoke...

I'd become an instant Duke fan, that is how much a Miller move to UNC would burn...
Don't take it personal.

The chances of it happening are slim. Who knows when Roy will leave, Miller may not go, and there may not be interest from UNC for Miller, or they could hire someone else, or their program could be crippled by sanctions.

Nothing to get upset over yet. Arizona is in a good place and will continue to be in a good place, with or without Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The idea that "lack of flexibility" is why we haven't reached the promised land: NO.

Every FF team this year has a coach that runs a defined system. Wisky, probably most so, and we have lost to them twice in a row. The last two years, Ashley's injury and white hot Wisconsin shooting killed us.

Miller needs to stay himself with minor adjustments and sharpening up. If he's inflexible, I like my coaches rigid.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Salty wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Whatever. As long as people don't confuse my concerns about Miller's possible concerns for Miller's actual concerns. If you're going to take me at my word, I can quickly and easily assemble 5-10 witnesses from this very board able to testify that I'm a nut job. If you give it more time, I'll at least quadruple that number.
Someone who considers Chicago to be "Upper Louisiana", is a nut job. Plain and simple.
Not Chicago, just the part of Illinois south of Chicago along the Central Illinois Railway from Kankakee to Carbondale. So congratulations on missing the entire point.