scumdevils86

Re: Sean Miller

Post by scumdevils86 »

are you surprised?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Salty wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Dropping the ball against UNLV, ASU, and ntOSU, also likely caused Miller to miss on this years final four, but sure thats ARIZONA's problem...

Again, I would hope, if it came to that, he would tell it how it is and not blow smoke...

I'd become an instant Duke fan, that is how much a Miller move to UNC would burn...
Don't take it personal.

The chances of it happening are slim. Who knows when Roy will leave, Miller may not go, and there may not be interest from UNC for Miller, or they could hire someone else, or their program could be crippled by sanctions.

Nothing to get upset over yet. Arizona is in a good place and will continue to be in a good place, with or without Miller.
I know, I'm taking this personal.

nm, I said too much...so I'll leave it at this...

It would be extremely disappointing if Miller went to UNC, for this CATS fan.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:are you surprised?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dropping the ball against UNLV, ASU, and ntOSU, also likely caused Miller to miss on this years final four, but sure thats ARIZONA's problem
Another way to look at it might be if we had just lost one more game, making Gonzaga the West 2 and us the South 2, we'd have a real decent chance of being in the final four too.

Things had to work out just right to fuck us but the committee made it happen.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote: you missed the point completely -- congratulations
What a totally inappropriate and snide remark. I now know my place. Thanks.
ChooChooCat wrote: I appreciate that for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with him talking down to me when maybe there was just merely a misunderstanding. I suppose I'll just read and not post from here set forth if that's the way things are going to be.

ChooChooCat, I'm going to give you some free advice, and it's worth every penny....you're going to need a little thicker skin to exist on the internet. All 97 said was that you missed the point, and gave a sarcastic congratulations to you.

Now you're going off about how "totally inappropriate" it was and how you're going to take your ball and leave and never post again?

You're looking childish, over reactive, and frankly ridiculous.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

as for 97's comment about quality of life, I've never lived in north carolina....is it really some mecca compared with arizona?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There are some nice parts but most of it is still north Carolina....
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't believe I am the first to say this:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Say what, Merk? That you spotted a saucer?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Those allergies!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

PieceOfMeat wrote:as for 97's comment about quality of life, I've never lived in north carolina....is it really some mecca compared with arizona?
there's no way i'd want to live in the south, BUT - parts of nc ain't that bad.

chapel hill is sort of the quintessential "college town" - superchunk and merge records are firmly rooted there. asheville is turning into the bkln of the south. the outer banks is nice, and wilmington is a surfing destination. vivian howard seems to be doing some great things for the food culture in eastern nc, too.

i may have just inspired myself to have some peanuts & coke.

CST: are you in durham?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
And Arizona and its fans get to pay for it? How tragically sad.

How long before we point out to the obvious fact that he's outrecruited everyone not named Kentucky since 2012 (arguably 2011 just based on ratings)? Somehow that means even with these highly rated classes that he can't get over the hump simply because he's coaching these guys at Arizona and not UNC? I get what you're saying, but frankly that's a load of horse crap and if he truly believes it then the man needs a reality check. It's not Arizona's fault that he hasn't been to a Final Four and any man with common sense and facts recognizes that. I'm not insinuating its his fault either, but it most certainly is not the University of Arizona name or program that is at fault here.
you missed the point completely -- congratulations
Choo, me thinks 97 us talking about the city of Tucson handing him the keys and not letting him go, not Miller's perception of Arizona or who can get him the most success. Miller wouldn't have a choice if he went to a Final Four. Tucson wouldn't let him. The keys are his whether he likes it or not.

However, I don't know, I feel he already has the keys to the city and the cement poured on the feet. A Players Program, Best Fans in the world, etc. How do you just say, "Okay, just kidding, second best fans in the world". The keys are his already and cement is wet.

But this time of the year does suck. After a heartbreaking loss and the city turns into 110 degrees without a soul in sight. This is the time when people would start thinking about the future and how it could be... with a Final Four, the summer heat becomes much more bearable.
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:as for 97's comment about quality of life, I've never lived in north carolina....is it really some mecca compared with arizona?
Petey Pablo is from there, according to that one song. More grass, of course. Better BBQ, worse Mexican food. More trees, fewer mountains.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote: you missed the point completely -- congratulations
What a totally inappropriate and snide remark. I now know my place. Thanks.
ChooChooCat wrote: I appreciate that for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with him talking down to me when maybe there was just merely a misunderstanding. I suppose I'll just read and not post from here set forth if that's the way things are going to be.

ChooChooCat, I'm going to give you some free advice, and it's worth every penny....you're going to need a little thicker skin to exist on the internet. All 97 said was that you missed the point, and gave a sarcastic congratulations to you.

Now you're going off about how "totally inappropriate" it was and how you're going to take your ball and leave and never post again?

You're looking childish, over reactive, and frankly ridiculous.
Quite frankly he's treated like a god I've noticed, so I think taking the proper non-sarcastic non-offensive approach to his pretty much unwarranted sarcasm was the correct approach to take. I've never even conversed with the guy before, but either way In the words of Winston Zeddemore: 97cats, when someone asks if you're a god, you say "YES!"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

How long before we point out to the obvious fact that he's outrecruited everyone not named Kentucky since 2012 (arguably 2011 just based on ratings)? Somehow that means even with these highly rated classes that he can't get over the hump simply because he's coaching these guys at Arizona and not UNC? I get what you're saying, but frankly that's a load of horse crap and if he truly believes it then the man needs a reality check. It's not Arizona's fault that he hasn't been to a Final Four and any man with common sense and facts recognizes that. I'm not insinuating its his fault either, but it most certainly is not the University of Arizona name or program that is at fault here.
He's talking about the city of Tucson handing him the keys and not letting him go, not Miller's perception or choice. Miller wouldn't have a choice if he went to a Final Four. The keys are his whether he likes it or not.

I don't know, I feel he already has the keys to the city and the cement poured on the feet. A Players Program, Best Fans in the world, etc. How do you just say, "Okay, just kidding, second best fans in the world".
Thank you, now I get it! I agree with your stance on the topic. Miller is apparently the 6th highest paid coach in the nation right now, he has as much fan support with no ridiculous amounts of pressure that come with higher profile jobs, and this Athletic Department belongs to him. Yes fans want him to get over the hump naturally, but he runs this town already. If he doesn't make a Final Four in the next 3-5 years (if he's around that long) then we can talk about him not being handed the keys to the city, but he's had the keys for quite some time already the way I see it.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I feel like this discussion has been some prolonged April Fools' Day fiasco. WTF are we talking about this for?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

He's talking about the city of Tucson handing him the keys and not letting him go, not Miller's perception or choice. Miller wouldn't have a choice if he went to a Final Four. The keys are his whether he likes it or not.

I don't know, I feel he already has the keys to the city and the cement poured on the feet. A Players Program, Best Fans in the world, etc. How do you just say, "Okay, just kidding, second best fans in the world".
Thank you, now I get it! I agree with your stance on the topic. Miller is apparently the 6th highest paid coach in the nation right now, he has as much fan support with no ridiculous amounts of pressure that come with higher profile jobs, and this Athletic Department belongs to him. Yes fans want him to get over the hump naturally, but he runs this town already. If he doesn't make a Final Four in the next 3-5 years (if he's around that long) then we can talk about him not being handed the keys to the city, but he's had the keys for quite some time already the way I see it.
Yea, slight edit:

Choo, me thinks 97 is talking about the city of Tucson handing him the keys and not letting him go, not Miller's perception of Arizona or who can get him the most success. Miller wouldn't have a choice if he went to a Final Four. Tucson wouldn't let him. The keys are his whether he likes it or not.

However, I don't know, I feel he already has the keys to the city and the cement poured on the feet. A Players Program, Best Fans in the world, etc. How do you just say, "Okay, just kidding, second best fans in the world". The keys are his already and cement is wet.

But this time of the year does suck. After a heartbreaking loss and the city turns into 110 degrees without a soul in sight. This is the time when people would start thinking about the future and how it could be... with a Final Four, the summer heat becomes much more bearable, if not welcoming.
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

As an aside, IF, and as of today it's not a likely scenario, Miller were to leave for UNC or the Los Angeles Lakers, it would be hard to find a suitable replacement that could carry on the tradition and energy that he has brought. In other words, I could see some people taking a few years off, and the next coach having trouble meeting current expectations...

...unless...

Archie Miller succeeds his older Brother.

Now that would be #exciting. Anyone else, it wouldn't be. Sad but true, at least for me.
dan

Post by dan »

Isn't this about the ability to compete for championships and not final fours?

To me, it has less to do with how many five stars or McD AA we get here vs other schools and more to do with the perception that the talent pool in the west is below the rest of the country.

AZ gets the best of the best out west, people look at the stars and assume the ratings are fungible. Looking at the lack of success the P10/12 has had in the postseason - are they?

Obviously, AZ has been good enough to go to the FF a number of years. Howland's UCLA teams were title contenders. But the fact that nobody else has come close has to raise some doubt in coaches minds about competing for a title year in and year out.
Salty

Post by Salty »

dan wrote:Isn't this about the ability to compete for championships and not final fours?

To me, it has less to do with how many five stars or McD AA we get here vs other schools and more to do with the perception that the talent pool in the west is below the rest of the country.

AZ gets the best of the best out west, people look at the stars and assume the ratings are fungible. Looking at the lack of success the P10/12 has had in the postseason - are they?

Obviously, AZ has been good enough to go to the FF a number of years. Howland's UCLA teams were title contenders. But the fact that nobody else has come close has to raise some doubt in coaches minds about competing for a title year in and year out.
Miller gets players from everywhere.

Tarc was from New Hampshire I think. RHJ + TJ were from Penn.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

dan wrote:Isn't this about the ability to compete for championships and not final fours?

Logically, yes. But what's the definition of insanity? High achievers might think why keep doing this and not try somewhere else and see if anything changes. It's just natural. Especially when you start to become branded as "the best coach never to reach a Final Four". It's a very flattering title for some, but not to Miller I would think.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

On the positive, let's rejoice, there are a couple, maybe 3 more years to get to that Final Four for CSM, and next year we could easily be in the hunt (especially if Zeus stays).

drumroll...and turn on Carolina Blue please...

InsideCarolina ‏@InsideCarolina · Mar 30
Roy Williams: “I do think everybody’s coming back." Story: http://insideca.ro/L0AoP

Thank you Roy. To us, the most important recruit coming back is you. We love you Roy, keep on keeping on my friend !
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trust me on this, yes, its better.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its not how Coach Miller views Tucson or the University or the fans or anything about the program, its how all of those groups view Coach Miller.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Can't believe I am the first to say this:

I do think its interesting the difference in twitter handles between the significant others of the Miller Bros. Not important and doesn't mean much, but interesting nevertheless.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:its not how Coach Miller views Tucson or the University or the fans or anything about the program, its how all of those groups view Coach Miller.
Okay, but step back, you don't think those groups have given him the keys yet? Or poured cement on his feet? I do, but please enlighten...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Well I assume you didn't spend much time in the non blue parts of the state. I'm talking about the deep woods stuff. Raleigh Durham is pretty blue along with some of the coastal parts.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dirtbags wrote:
there's no way i'd want to live in the south, BUT - parts of nc ain't that bad.

chapel hill is sort of the quintessential "college town" - superchunk and merge records are firmly rooted there. asheville is turning into the bkln of the south. the outer banks is nice, and wilmington is a surfing destination. vivian howard seems to be doing some great things for the food culture in eastern nc, too.

i may have just inspired myself to have some peanuts & coke.

CST: are you in durham?
Yes. If we didn't have family in the West, we would be staying in the Research Triangle. You nailed some of the highlights above. We have Vivian's restaurant in Kingston on our bucket list.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Well I assume you didn't spend much time in the non blue parts of the state. I'm talking about the deep woods stuff. Raleigh Durham is pretty blue along with some of the coastal parts.
This is the type of response I'd expect from you. Always (R) and (D) with you...

Tell my, how much time have you spent in NC?
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

April Fools
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:its not how Coach Miller views Tucson or the University or the fans or anything about the program, its how all of those groups view Coach Miller.
Okay, but step back, you don't think those groups have given him the keys yet? Or poured cement on his feet? I do, but please enlighten...
each year Coach Miller doesnt get Arizona to where its fans (rightfully so or not) believe they should be -- a Final Four -- the whispers will occur and the pressure will mount.

Coach Miller is certainly a very popular figure but hes not unflappable yet, not till he gets to a Final Four.

it makes things harder on him when people (wrong or right) feel like he had teams the last two years that he shoulda delivered on.

i dont agree with it, but im just saying to pay attention to it ....... and its two option, UNC or the NBA and last i checked neither has called and there is no guarantee that if either did he would accept -- but i know for a fact if UNC does inquire, he will listen.

had he made a Final Four or two so far, i would say the chances of him making it out of Tucson to anywhere else in the college game would be less than 10% -- i cant say that today.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Can't believe I am the first to say this:

I do think its interesting the difference in twitter handles between the significant others of the Miller Bros. Not important and doesn't mean much, but interesting nevertheless.
And having to tweet this stuff does not making me happy...
Fuck:
"Though UA has one of the best programs in the country, contrary to popular belief, it is not on the same level as Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas. It's not even on the same plane as Michigan State."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks for the clarification. I can't believe there are groups (like the Phx Alum group apparently) that aren't willing to give Miller all the time and resources he needs to be successful.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I too am disappointed that the Millers are paying attention to the twitter trolls. I actually thought the fan base's response to the EE loss was the best I've ever seen after a tournament game. It was way worse last year. Way worse. And it is way worse at other programs, Inside Carolina isn't exactly throwing roses at Roy Williams right now.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
And for the record, I know this state pretty darn well. My work has taken me to all parts. Yes, there are some incredibly rural parts and all the social-cultural issues that come from it, but as a native Arizona, their isn't that much difference between "deep woods stuff" in NC and "tea-party redneck" in Arizona. Both hate minorities, both think the GOP serves their interests, and both will live and die by the gun.
Salty

Post by Salty »

The expectations was the Final Four this year.

Anyone who thinks Arizona could do better than Miller is on crack.

Happy with what Arizona has
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hate the offseason.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Quite frankly he's treated like a god I've noticed, so I think taking the proper non-sarcastic non-offensive approach to his pretty much unwarranted sarcasm was the correct approach to take. I've never even conversed with the guy before, but either way In the words of Winston Zeddemore: 97cats, when someone asks if you're a god, you say "YES!"

You've noticed that in the under 2 months you've been here, what with all the extensive posting 97 has done since you've been here?

Naw, I'm not buying it.

Me thinks you're a certain disgruntled poster from TOS who has a running beef with 97...or rather your view of how others perceive 97.

but let's assume that my thinking is incorrect, and you really are just some new guy who for whatever reason thinks that the rest of the people who have been here a long time shouldn't respect what 97 says.....how about you back it up with some factual posts, inside information, or something other than 'how inappropriate, you doth offend my senses, I shall take my basketball and leave post haste!"

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sean Miller would be stupid not to answer the call, and Sean Miller is not stupid. Of course he'd listen, UNC is the best job in the nation...I mean Roy left KANSAS to go there (yes I know the ties).

Thing is, the job is not open. People need to relax around here.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Roy Williams isn't going anywhere for a while, he's not going out like this. Miller will accomplish everything at Arizona before Roy retires. I personally think a FF doesn't stop anyone from leaving jobs, Miller losing in the EE is irrelevant, a National Title does mean permanent roots.

I bet Archie has a ACC job before Roy retires. I'd bet a lot of money on that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ZONACAT wrote:I too am disappointed that the Millers are paying attention to the twitter trolls. I actually thought the fan base's response to the EE loss was the best I've ever seen after a tournament game. It was way worse last year. Way worse. And it is way worse at other programs, Inside Carolina isn't exactly throwing roses at Roy Williams right now.
Yeah no sh*t. Their fans are insufferable even through they had a garbage team.

I wonder if Miller was tipped off to something, because he came out hard in the pressor and post game twitter with the "This season was a success and if don't think so, well you know what you can go do" line of thinking.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:I too am disappointed that the Millers are paying attention to the twitter trolls. I actually thought the fan base's response to the EE loss was the best I've ever seen after a tournament game. It was way worse last year. Way worse. And it is way worse at other programs, Inside Carolina isn't exactly throwing roses at Roy Williams right now.

I wonder if Miller was tipped off to something, because he came out hard in the pressor and post game twitter with the "This season was a success and if don't think so, well you know what you can go do" line of thinking.

My thinking is that he was protecting his players, and one of them mostly, who were really emotional about not getting where they thought they would. Too many players apologized, when they didn't need to, so my thinking is that Miller took it upon himself to address that.

Just my 2 cents.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Miller was tipped off because the media's narrative of "best coach not to make a FF" has been shoved in his face for a year. I don't think it was from Arizona fan's responses, at least not from anyone other than twitter trolls.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Bosy Billups wrote: Fuck:
"Though UA has one of the best programs in the country, contrary to popular belief, it is not on the same level as Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas. It's not even on the same plane as Michigan State."
The funny thing about that quote is generally I would agree with them.

We are not on the same plane as Kentucky.

We are also not on the same plane as North Carolina, Kansas and Michigan State. :D

The one that's more interesting is Duke. That'd probably be the one I would most likely put on our plane.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Olsondogg wrote:My thinking is that he was protecting his players, and one of them mostly, who were really emotional about not getting where they thought they would. Too many players apologized, when they didn't need to, so my thinking is that Miller took it upon himself to address that.

Just my 2 cents.
This is exactly how I took his defensive stance, basically taking the heat off his players. He knew TJ especially would be bombarded with questions about how "disappointed" he is, if he feels like he failed in not reaching a Final Four, etc. All anyone is talking about is Sean Miller, and that's probably exactly what he wants. It's called leadership and protecting your players. "A Player's Program" isn't just a trademark!

It amazes me that no one I've heard has taken it this way (of course, I'm basing it off Phx sports talk, which isn't really a mecca of Wildcat knowledge). Everyone seems to think it's a shot at asu fans for trolling him, the asu AD for firing his former boss, or a shot at Wildcats fans for complaining about an Elite Eight loss.
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Like I said in another thread (and got ridiculed for it), some boosters had the expectation of a Final Four and anything less is a disappointment.

Miller's comments was directed towards them I believe.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If this is true, there are a lot of delusional/idiotic Arizona fans. I've used this example before, but Indiana is the poster child for what happens when you hire Tom Crean, not Sean Miller.

It is appalling to me that any alleged Arizona fan would view Miller as anything other than a savior. The EE exits just show he's a human savior, not a divine one.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ZONACAT wrote: I bet Archie has a ACC job before Roy retires. I'd bet a lot of money on that.
Wouldn't that actually help us keep Sean? I don't think they want to coach against each other 2 or 3 times a year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Salty wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Like I said in another thread (and got ridiculed for it), some boosters had the expectation of a Final Four and anything less is a disappointment.

Miller's comments was directed towards them I believe.

I will still ridicule you, because you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of anything boosters say, want or do. You act as if you have some kind of insight, which you don't...and then you speculate and post something confirming that you were correct in some way.

Which you weren't.

Continue to speculate as you wish, but stop pretending that you know anything about anything. I'll continue to point this out as often as I need to.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Sean Miller is very close to being a god here in Tucson with the 40 and under crowd. I think having him around a few more years is all that is needed, but I can certainly see how a final four and maybe a Natty is needed for the idiots to appreciate what we have.

He's a once in a lifetime coach IMO. If he left, we may find a guy who wins with less, a guy who can recruit with the best of them, and a guy who is a great person, whatever, but I don't think as a total package the guy can be replaced. I truly feel that. I think he is the most well-rounded coach in America.