Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

Re: Sean Miller

Post by pokinmik »

Machina had recurring dreams of befriending Sean Miller at the alumni event, hopping in Miller's ride afterwards for a night on the town in Scottsdale and an ensuing lifelong friendship with phone calls and monthly visits. The day came, Machina put on his favorite shirt and nicest shoes...then about four beers deep he looked at his watch and realized Miller should've showed up 45 min ago! Then the word came that Miller couldn't make it. Damn him to eternity!

Seriously, the alumni events like that sound silly anyway. People are weird. They love to say they were hanging out with a famous person. I wish I was rich so I could give the AD enough money to cover all alumni events and tell RR and Miller to keep working and not worry about the people who need their egos stroked bc they threw down some cash.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Must be Miller's no-selfie rule.
Right where I want to be.
Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat34 wrote:
Machina wrote:
pokinmik wrote:When did he blame fans for a loss?? I don't remember that.

Everything else you said Machina is about bailing on an alumni event. I get that you and some others would be peeved but cmon man, we are all adults here. I'd rather Miller do his job than show up to some event so I can sweat him like an 8 y.o. would his favorite baseball player.
2013 2014 season.

And it is not bailing on one event. It has been multiple events he had a piss poor attitude then said he would do one then backed out

Why is it a deal if I like him as a coach but don't care for him much outside of that?
He didn't blame the fans, that is utter bullshit. If anything he loved the fans who made Vegas McKale North and packed the Honda Center last year. Link something up.

It is incredible how self-absorbed you are. Sean Miller doesn't owe you any of his time.
He did. I heard it from multiple sources. 2013 2014 season. I think it is clear.
Machina

Post by Machina »

If Miller did an event I would not be interested in meeting him. Just want to help out good causes.

I would not care if he didn't do events. But when he does having a sucky attitdude and then cancelLing after agreeing to events bothers me
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:Machina had recurring dreams of befriending Sean Miller at the alumni event, hopping in Miller's ride afterwards for a night on the town in Scottsdale and an ensuing lifelong friendship with phone calls and monthly visits. The day came, Machina put on his favorite shirt and nicest shoes...then about four beers deep he looked at his watch and realized Miller should've showed up 45 min ago! Then the word came that Miller couldn't make it. Damn him to eternity!

Seriously, the alumni events like that sound silly anyway. People are weird. They love to say they were hanging out with a famous person. I wish I was rich so I could give the AD enough money to cover all alumni events and tell RR and Miller to keep working and not worry about the people who need their egos stroked bc they threw down some cash.
Why would she have you meet her in a bar at 10 in the morning?
I don't know, I figured she was just a raging alcoholic.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:
He did. I heard it from multiple sources. 2013 2014 season. I think it is clear.
It isn't clear. Name the sources or characterize them. Word of mouth? Reported somewhere? Do you find it odd that nobody else remembers this?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

From Machina on here is the only time I have heard Sean Miller treat anyone like crap, or been a jerk, or didn't have time for fans, etc. I know at least five people who have ran into him at restaurants, at the store, or out and about. Every single one of them gushed about how cool and down to earth he was. One of my friends had a five minute conversation with him while they were waiting to be seated at a restaurant (who makes Sean Miller wait, by the way). He said he maintained eye contact with him the whole conversation and was completely genuine. I've also seen pictures of him with a big grin on his face and his arms around two fans who look like they could have just served 25 years in prison. This is not including the things I have read on the internet.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he wasn't like that. I heard multiple stories about Lute throughout the years, and I never held it against him because I understand what it is probably like to be the head coach here and have to deal with people slobbering over you everywhere you go. But I haven't heard a single peep about Miller in the digital area, where bad stuff gets floated around way more.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

pokinmik wrote:Machina had recurring dreams of befriending Sean Miller at the alumni event, hopping in Miller's ride afterwards for a night on the town in Scottsdale and an ensuing lifelong friendship with phone calls and monthly visits. The day came, Machina put on his favorite shirt and nicest shoes...then about four beers deep he looked at his watch and realized Miller should've showed up 45 min ago! Then the word came that Miller couldn't make it. Damn him to eternity!

So much for re-living the mutually-enjoyable bro-hug with BJD at the WM Open...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

By the way, if a coach blames fans for a loss, the problem isn't that the coach is a jerk. The problem is that the coach doesn't understand how the game works, and therefore shouldn't be coaching in the first place, let alone at a premier D1 program. It isn't a question of separating out his coaching from his personality.

If you heard from multiple sources that Coach Miller blamed the fans for the loss, you'd have to wonder about the repeated praise that Miller heaps on Arizona fans in a very public way that's instantly accessible, and the complete lack of any retrievable evidence that he blamed fans for a loss. Moreover, you have to wonder about an individual's choice to believe the supposed multiple sources unable to point to anything tangible, as opposed to the readily available evidence to the contrary. Could an agenda be involved? Gosh, I wonder.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Obviously there is nothing on tape or any article written that gives us any insight into the blame Miller put on fans for a loss, but since multiple people have told Machina it happened, you'd think that just once Machina would pony up with what these people said he said.

Give us the hearsay. What did Sean Miller say? Let us see how he blamed fans for a loss. It's obviously not clear otherwise people wouldn't be asking about it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'll just toss this secret out too. I doubt any coach enjoys "alumni events." They may act like it and say they do, but secretly, they wish they were somewhere else. I played college BB, had to attend a few things I didn't want to, and I can vouch that those events are largely viewed as the price of the position and a chore.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'll just toss this secret out too. I doubt any coach enjoys "alumni events." They may act like it and say they do, but secretly, they wish they were somewhere else. I played college BB, had to attend a few things I didn't want to, and I can vouch that those events are largely viewed as the price of the position and a chore.
I'd hate it to if I had to deal with douchebags like Machina who take a cancellation as a personal affront that causes them to outright make bullshit up about me to try to tarnish my name.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Machina is the poster boy for Millennials.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
Machina wrote:
pokinmik wrote:When did he blame fans for a loss?? I don't remember that.

Everything else you said Machina is about bailing on an alumni event. I get that you and some others would be peeved but cmon man, we are all adults here. I'd rather Miller do his job than show up to some event so I can sweat him like an 8 y.o. would his favorite baseball player.
2013 2014 season.

And it is not bailing on one event. It has been multiple events he had a piss poor attitude then said he would do one then backed out

Why is it a deal if I like him as a coach but don't care for him much outside of that?
He didn't blame the fans, that is utter bullshit. If anything he loved the fans who made Vegas McKale North and packed the Honda Center last year. Link something up.

It is incredible how self-absorbed you are. Sean Miller doesn't owe you any of his time.
It is clear? Who are your sources? Evidently it is not clear considering everyone here is calling BS on you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'll just toss this secret out too. I doubt any coach enjoys "alumni events." They may act like it and say they do, but secretly, they wish they were somewhere else. I played college BB, had to attend a few things I didn't want to, and I can vouch that those events are largely viewed as the price of the position and a chore.
I'd hate it to if I had to deal with douchebags like Machina who take a cancellation as a personal affront that causes them to outright make bullshit up about me to try to tarnish my name.
It's the entitlement thing. People who donate money so they feel like you owe it to them to show up and kiss their ass.

Meeting a genuine fan is a whole different thing than an event that has the forcible genuflection edge.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Lol at the Dumb and Dumber quote Spaceman. And it's definitely a chore/part of the position - still kinda silly IMO to want to hang out with the coaches. But that's a much larger human-psychological problem.

Agree with LH too...if Miller actually did say something so stupid like fans costing a game, then maybe he doesn't know as much about basketball as we'd like to think. It does not make sense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For what it's worth, any time I've heard Miller discuss Arizona fans publicly, he either heaps praise or there's just not a mention. I've never heard anything like Roy Williams's rant this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat, what happened to your post? I wanted to ask why before the season even started you expectation was disappointment. Seems like a weird way to live...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Though let's be clear: That rant should in no way hasten the departure of Coach For Life Roy Williams.

I'll be hosting a "Cats for Roy" event soon. Stay tuned.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

perhaps we could erect a nice spittin' river next to the dean smith ctr for roy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Why would she have you meet her in a bar at 10 in the morning?
And all this time I've been going through such pain and personal anguish....SUCH HELL! FOR NOTHING!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Why would she have you meet her in a bar at 10 in the morning?
And all this time I've been going through such pain and personal anguish....SUCH HELL! FOR NOTHING!
To my friend dczonafan...the matchmaker.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Anyway, since Machina has now admitted that there's no tangible evidence for his extraordinary claim, all we're left with is the tangible evidence for our ordinary observations. He also emphasizes that his opinions aren't a big deal. So we can freely ignore it the next time he posts some kind of hint or some kind of critical remark about Coach Miller's character.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Machina wrote:if you don't care if some dude takes a dump on your porch every morning because you love how he does his job that much you have to get your priorities fixed.

I do care about the rest. I never said fire him or anything. I just don't really care for him with how he treats others.

Being short with alumni. clearly showing no interest in being at events. Saying you will do something then backing out later. Blaming fans for losses. Not doing events because you need to win at asu then losing I don't care for those things. But he is a good all around coach and as I said I would only for sure trade him for two coaches and consider to others.

I can like the work of someone without liking them. I am not too obsessed to not be able to separate them
There's just so much "waaaaaaaaaaaa" here it's hard to digest it all. I try not to pile on fellow Cats fans because we're all on the same team, but you really need to get over yourself Machina.

1) If Sean Miller is "short with alumni" and clearly shows "no interest in being at events," WHY INVITE HIM BACK?! If you think he's such a douche and he's pissing off the alumni you're hoping to hit up for donations, why not find someone else? (Side note: As a Phoenix alumni, thanks for making it clear that I NEVER EVER want to attend any of your events or donate any money to your causes, if this is how the people at said events feel about a coach we should all feel honored and blessed to call our own!)

2) Did you ever think that Sean Miller had something else more important come up on February 6th, I don't know, maybe something that actually is a major function of his job like recruiting?! It doesn't take a genius to piece together that Sean Miller offered a scholarship to Alex Borcello from Corona del Sol after a game on February 6th. Did you ever consider maybe he wanted to see a prized recruit play in person, and it worked out perfectly that said recruit had a game the night Miller would be in town?

I know in Machina world, that's no reason to cancel on something as high and mighty and important as an alumni event for you and 27 other people at which you hope to raise a few hundred dollars to buy books for a couple Phoenix kids who will attend U of A, but I'm sure I speak for 99% of Arizona fans in saying I'd rather he go recruit and skip the alumni event a million times out of a million. Miller's known as a tireless recruiter and impresses recruits with how often he sees them play, so if/when Borcello commits to Arizona, I guarantee you a big reason would be how Miller went out of his way to see him play, even at the expense of an alumni event.

If you can't see any of this and just think Sean Miller is a big meany who ruined your cocktail party, then I have a message for you: GO CHEER FOR asu! #BearDown
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Machina wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The "I do not like his attitude at times."

What is that crap? Generally, Miller shows a strong desire to develop a winning team. As an alumni, I don't care how he treats me. He could take a dump on my front porch every morning on his way to work. He has set a strong direction for Arizona basketball, and his players love him. That's what matters. If TJ McConnell loves the guy, I could not care less about the rest.

Miller has never represented Arizona poorly, and neither have his teams. Spare me the undefined talk about attitude.
if you don't care if some dude takes a dump on your porch every morning because you love how he does his job that much you have to get your priorities fixed.
Hey, I totally missed this response. No, I don't care, because I have no relationship with Sean Miller outside of what he does as Arizona coach. If I met him at an event or on the street, I would not delude myself into believing that we are buds or that I know anything about him.

Sean Miller is Arizona's basketball coach, and that's all he is to me. If we were to someday meet and become friends, cool, but I am not holding my breath. I have zero desire to hold him in any regard other than as Arizona basketball coach. He does a fine job of that, so I could care less whether he kowtows to alums or craps on their doorstep.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

If Miller took a dump on my front porch, I'd put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in my freezer forever.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BMalo wrote:If Miller took a dump on my front porch, I'd put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in my freezer forever.
Ok, that's where this crossed the line for me. I could see taking a selfie with him as he's pinching he loaf, but that's my line.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:(Side note: As a Phoenix alumni, thanks for making it clear that I NEVER EVER want to attend any of your events or donate any money to your causes, if this is how the people at said events feel about a coach we should all feel honored and blessed to call our own!)
I'm sure Sean Miller's cancellation had so much less of a negative effect on fundraising for the precious Phoenix alumni club than the piss-poor entitled attitude of certain people involved in that group. Lord knows that if I was in the same club as a turd like Machina, I'd quit ASAP.

PS - If coach drops a dookie on your front porch daily, it might be time to install a port-o-john in the front yard. Just sayin...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller getting ready...

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

BMalo wrote:If Miller took a dump on my front porch, I'd put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in my freezer forever.
:lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

If it's like mine, it wouldn't even stink.
Merkin wrote:Miller getting ready...

Stander!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

shut the fuck up machina. we should get an emoticon that is holding a sign that says that.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I laugh about this Sean Miller doesn't like fans nonsense. Some friends and I went to watch some Uofa recruits play. We were waiting outside after the games and had our wildcat gear on. CSM walked by and hit us with BearDown!

Also, when I was bored one day I tweeted Sean Miller a random question about Monsoon season. He actually responded. Dude is all class and genuine 100% of the time.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The only people who would be upset with Miller not showing up is the people who need him to show up to make their job in fundraising easier.

have gone to some of the events in Phoenix to raise money for the (insert cause) and I could give tow shits if any of the coaches were there. Would I like to hear them sure, but in season is asking too much IMO.

Machina is very active in the fund raising and I applaud him for that. He is a neat guy if you have met him like I have. He loves the UofA in all ways

That said the 15-20 people who might bitch about him not showing up need to cool their jets. Get some silent auction tickets, autographed ball, a Cat jersey or whatever. those are the things I like. Eve when I have memory loss on what Miller or RR might have said I can look at what I brought home.

As for Miller or RR, just win baby, just win
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Oh look, Phoechina refuses to give details, for the millionth time.

when will you fools learn to put him on ignore like I have? If we all have him on ignore, then nobody will be able to quote him, and we'll all be spared his nonsense.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Oh look, Phoechina refuses to give details, for the millionth time.

when will you fools learn to put him on ignore like I have? If we all have him on ignore, then nobody will be able to quote him, and we'll all be spared his nonsense.
But how will I know why I should dislike our coach who has done nothing but win, bring incredible positive press to the University and program I love, exude class and passion, and mold kids into polite, thoughtful, winning young men?? Huh? Answer me THAT with your "put him on ignore" talk.

One day Machina will clue us all in to what he knows and then we'll run Sean Miller out of Tucson on a rail and get a real coach who will give Machina's anus the tongue bath it so richly deserves. The true shall set you free!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Oh look, Phoechina refuses to give details, for the millionth time.

But how will I know why I should dislike our coach who has done nothing but win, bring incredible positive press to the University and program I love, exude class and passion, and mold kids into polite, thoughtful, winning young men?? Huh? Answer me THAT with your "put him on ignore" talk.

One day Machina will clue us all in to what he knows and then we'll run Sean Miller out of Tucson on a rail and get a real coach who will give Machina's anus the tongue bath it so richly deserves. The true shall set you free!
One day Machina will realize he is not a special flower and no one gives a fuck what he wants or cares about.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:

YEA!!!!!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I actually think Machina may be right about Miller being an ass towards our fans.

Here is his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/UACoachMiller

By my estimation, CSM only thanked or referred to our fans in about 12 of his last 20 tweets. That's right... in only 60% of his tweets is he thanking us fans

Coach Sean Miller.... What a jerk.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Alieberman wrote:I actually think Machina may be right about Miller being an ass towards our fans.

Here is his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/UACoachMiller

By my estimation, CSM only thanked or referred to our fans in about 12 of his last 20 tweets. That's right... in only 60% of his tweets is he thanking us fans

The picture of the embrace that TJ and Amy shared made me feel a bit.... uncomfortable. But then when I noted the #LoudAndProud reference in Sean's most recent tweet, it made things a bit easier to understand.

Kidding aside, I could not like a UA coach more than I do Sean Miller. I hope we have him for a long, long time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller is the next K who had several rough seasons getting things set up at Duke. Hopefully entitled boosters will pull their head out of their ass and let the man do his job.
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Bunch of bad fans in here who do not give enough time or money to the U of A.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well now, this went pretty much as I expected.

Oh and by the way, if Miller gave Machina a big "fuck you" he should get a huge raise and the keys to Arcadia Tavern.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

WildcatRx wrote:Bunch of bad fans in here who do not give enough time or money to the U of A.
Wait, so time and money is what makes you not a bad fan? I've been doing it wrong for too long, need to warn my wife.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alieberman wrote:By my estimation, CSM only thanked or referred to our fans in about 12 of his last 20 tweets. That's right... in only 60% of his tweets is he thanking us fans

40% of the time, every time
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

20% of the food creates 80% of the poop
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

gumby wrote:Though let's be clear: That rant should in no way hasten the departure of Coach For Life Roy Williams.

Better show up to your event or Machina is going to start the Fire Gumby thread..
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
WildcatRx wrote:Bunch of bad fans in here who do not give enough time or money to the U of A.
Wait, so time and money is what makes you not a bad fan? I've been doing it wrong for too long, need to warn my wife.
Tony Montana - Money, Power, Women: http://youtu.be/XJ7HZATMKBY

You went in the wrong order.
gumby

Post by gumby »

threenumberones wrote:
gumby wrote:Though let's be clear: That rant should in no way hasten the departure of Coach For Life Roy Williams.

Better show up to your event or Machina is going to start the Fire Gumby thread..
Oh, I'll be there. I do it for the kids. Miller eats kids.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jim Calhoun started 1986 at UConn. Elite Eights in 1990, 95 and 98. Finally broke through in 1999. Three EEs in 12 years. Miller has three at Arizona. One at XU.