ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: ASU blows

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:The Hurley hire was Ray Anderson trying to justify his job, just like the Sendek hire was Lisa Love's pet project, Rob Evans was Kevin White's, Bill Frieder and Steve Patterson were Gene Smith's and Bob Weinhauer was Dick Tamburo's.

Hats off to Herb for his career not imploding after the departure of his AD, unlike so many of his Sun Devil predecessors. He was the most successful ASU coach since Ned Wulk, and perhaps of all time.

Put that man in the studio as an analyst.
With an unproven coach, at least you can sell his promise. It buys time until a coach actually has to have results.

Sendek was like eating at Chipotle. You know what you're gonna get, but it's really hard to get excited about it.

Hurley might do well, he might be static or he might fall on his face. The allure of the unknown helps ASU.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:To those of you who are critical of the hire: who would have been a better hire? Keep in mind this is ASU we are talking about. Poor facilities, poor fan support, and relatively small investment in basketball salaries. Given all those factors, who could ASU have had a reasonable chance at hiring that doesn't have some sort of glaring issue on his resume? I think the hire was about as good as they could hope for.
That's fine, just don't tell me it is a home run and the landscape has changed.

I have never said he is a home run hire. A home run hire for ASU wasn't/ isn't possible for all the reason I stated above.
Maybe you haven't called it that, but that doesn't mean others haven't. A client of mine who went to ASSU told me the other day, "Now we have a better basketball coach than you do, so watch out!" My eyes rolled so hard they almost detached from the optic nerve.
Did he state his reasons why he thought that?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:

I have never said he is a home run hire. A home run hire for ASU wasn't/ isn't possible for all the reason I stated above.
Maybe you haven't called it that, but that doesn't mean others haven't. A client of mine who went to ASSU told me the other day, "Now we have a better basketball coach than you do, so watch out!" My eyes rolled so hard they almost detached from the optic nerve.
When you ask why a person who attended ASU says something stupid, the answer is contained within your question.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:To those of you who are critical of the hire: who would have been a better hire? Keep in mind this is ASU we are talking about. Poor facilities, poor fan support, and relatively small investment in basketball salaries. Given all those factors, who could ASU have had a reasonable chance at hiring that doesn't have some sort of glaring issue on his resume? I think the hire was about as good as they could hope for.

No, but I suspect either syphilis ate away his brain or he huffed too much nitrous oxide.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

ZONACAT wrote:

Talking about others in your fan base and the PHX media in particular. Agree with your personal assessment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cuz ASU blows!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Smart choice, wonder if UW did some talking?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

:lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: :lol:
Wisdom, eh? I guess there's no crime in a fraudulent twitter handle.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wow, Hurley is off to a great start.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Asu down to 1 recruit for 2015. And they lose mckissic, Barnes and gilling who were 3 seniors and 3 of their top 6 players. They have some solid players in goodman, Jacobsen and holder coming back but unless asu gets a couple good transfers or recruits really soon, it's hard to see them being above .500
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

McKissic was in the dunk contest this year. Before his first dunk he was talking shit to Jay Will about AZ. Also says he has never lost a dunk contest and proceeds to get the lowest score out of everyone and goes home. At 1:10:00

Awful dunk contest, dont waste your time watching it.

Coach please send Gabe York next year for the 3pt contest
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We all know that the best coach doesn't win COY.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hurley can win all the coy awards he wants if we're destroying his team by 25 every game.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Thon Maker to ASU?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No way, Calipari is headed up there this weekend to see him
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

MrBug708 wrote:Thon Maker to ASU?

Is he actually thinking about ASSU?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So some ASSU fans used to call themselves the "Herbivores". Will they now call themselves the "Hurlers"? Seems about perfect for ASSU.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:

Jerry Meyer just CB'ed him to ASU. Probably has to do with Brian Merritt being hired and his connections to Maker
az91

Post by az91 »

MrBug708 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Jerry Meyer just CB'ed him to ASU. Probably has to do with Brian Merritt being hired and his connections to Maker
Wow, with Maker, ASU could be a threat to win the conference title next year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I want it to happen just so enfuego's head explodes.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

az91 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

LOL, he's not that good.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

az91 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Um no.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Solid
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

So, it is the consensus here that Hurley is going to be another in a long line of coaches who face plant at ASU?

No one here thinks his ties to East Coast recruiting circles will in and of itself upgrade the historical talent coming to Tempe? He's also a pretty dang good coach too.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:So, it is the consensus here that Hurley is going to be another in a long line of coaches who face plant at ASU?

No one here thinks his ties to East Coast recruiting circles will in and of itself upgrade the historical talent coming to Tempe? He's also a pretty dang good coach too.
They didn't with herb. And the guy has only coached for 4 years at any level. No way of knowing what kind of coach he is.

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:So, it is the consensus here that Hurley is going to be another in a long line of coaches who face plant at ASU?

They didn't with herb. And the guy has only coached for 4 years at any level. No way of knowing what kind of coach he is.
From a recruiting perspective, he's an upgrade. Talent wins games.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What history does he have with successful recruiting?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASU hired Herb almost exclusively based on his ACC/East Coast recruiting ties.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

enfuego wrote:From a recruiting perspective, he's an upgrade. Talent wins games.
An upgrade at recruiting + who knows as far as developing + probably a small downgrade as far as in game coaching + ASU vortex = Most likely a poop stain

But who knows. Eventually in our history someone is going to go into a black hole and come out the other side alive. Will that person be Hurley?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Elite talent doesn't want to play in front of 5000 d-bags every night. If he proves to be a good coach, I doubt he stays more than 3 years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

5,000?

Did they do a "Bring In One Can Of Food, Get Two Tickets" promotion? Or just a Groupon?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:5,000?

Did they do a "Bring In One Can Of Food, Get Two Tickets" promotion? Or just a Groupon?
Some are hidden behind the curtain of embarrassment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:5,000?

Some are hidden behind the curtain of embarrassment.
I've heard those seats cost double (2 cans of beans).
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Fuck ASU
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Are the people who started the rumor that "Hurley is a great coach/hire" the same ones that started the "Arizona can't shoot" mantra?

I mean, what evidence do we have?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maker would be a really good get, but Herb had those program changers in Harden and Jahii. You need sustained success, but Maker would be decent.

There's more time for thing to shake out, though. Most prospects don't choose a college based on one dude. They factor in things like shoe company too.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Maker would be a really good get, but Herb had those program changers in Harden and Jahii. You need sustained success, but Maker would be decent.

There's more time for thing to shake out, though. Most prospects don't choose a college based on one dude. They factor in things like shoe company too.
Well they are Adidas now! The will start landing the nations top adidas circut kids. I am shocked Zimm didnt sign with ASU. wait he will be wearing Nikes year!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Still don't see how Martin Short will make a difference.

Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

doesn't maker have some weird academic issues since reclassifying to '15? like, he has to take summer school and additional hs classes in the fall so he can enroll and play in college starting in january? ... and if he only plays college ball from jan-march, will he even bother going to class? one-semester-and-done?

qualification challenges aside, it seems that he'll be a huge project on the floor. despite his physical gifts, he's still very raw, kinda gangly and his game needs a lot of work for the all the hype he gets. low court iq. this kid raises all sorts of red flags.

all that being said, i would love to see maker go to asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dirtbags wrote:doesn't maker have some weird academic issues since reclassifying to '15? like, he has to take summer school and additional hs classes in the fall so he can enroll and play in college starting in january? ... and if he only plays college ball from jan-march, will he even bother going to class? one-semester-and-done?

qualification challenges aside, it seems that he'll be a huge project on the floor. despite his physical gifts, he's still very raw, kinda gangly and his game needs a lot of work for the all the hype he gets. low court iq. this kid raises all sorts of red flags.

Academic issues and enrolling at ASU go hand in hand.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dirtbags wrote:doesn't maker have some weird academic issues since reclassifying to '15? like, he has to take summer school and additional hs classes in the fall so he can enroll and play in college starting in january? ... and if he only plays college ball from jan-march, will he even bother going to class? one-semester-and-done?

Academic issues and enrolling at ASU go hand in hand.
Scholar Baller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The bigger issue I see is he's a 7 footer that is allergic to interior play. The only time that works is Durant, but I don't see Maker close right now in skill or in coordination. You put RHJ on him, he does nothing. You put Stanley on him, he gets pushed around.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The bigger issue I see is he's a 7 footer that is allergic to interior play. The only time that works is Durant, but I don't see Maker close right now in skill or in coordination. You put RHJ on him, he does nothing. You put Stanley on him, he gets pushed around.
You've heard of Point Guards, of course, and in recent years, Point Forwards.

Thon Maker is a Point Center.

That's a Game Changer :lol:
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I read where this kid won't play until the second semester so at best some school gets him for the conference season only
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Obinna-Oleka signs with asu. Looks like a good pick-up for Hurley.
http://arizonasports.com/74/1828568/Rep ... zona-State
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Hurley is bringing in Buffalo kids, not exactly the talent infusion that will win in the Pac 12. No offense to the MAC.