Post by Jefe »

azcat34

Re: Sean Miller

Post by azcat34 »

Wow, great news for Archie too!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah not going to the nba right now and not to the pelicans especially
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Aha! No wonder .... (grabs wooden spoon) ... those assistants are leaving (stirs pot).
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin

What? Me worry?

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

What good does it do Arizona to let RR and Miller get a 1/4 of that money next year and 1/2 that money in 2018? Gives them more of a lifeline to leave to go elsewhere IMO. The way this was initially set up was a complete win for Arizona until 2020 and now it's just putting a gun to our head at this point.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri May 29, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

...they don't get the money if they leave.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:...they don't get the money if they leave.
No, this proposal put forth for the ABOR to approve makes it so as long as they stay until 2016 they will get 1/4 of that money, 2018 1/2 of that money, and 2020 all of it. So as long as they stay until 2016 they'll still walk out with 1/4 of what is valued at $7.7 million each today guaranteed.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

nevermind. I didn't realize the last few posts were about his extention
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona coach Sean Miller up for contract extension
Terrence Payne
May 30, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT

Arizona head coach Sean Miller is in line for another contract extension.

According to Bruce Pascoe of the Arizona Daily Star, the Arizona Board of Regents will meet next week and will vote on whether to extend Miller’s deal through the 2019-20 season.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... n/related/
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Jefe wrote:
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

"That's a man baby" "I swear someone beat her with an ugly stick"
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azcat49 wrote:"That's a man baby" "I swear someone beat her with an ugly stick"
People can't control how they look. She's the best in the biz and a great person.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

enfuego wrote:
People can't control how they look. She's the best in the biz and a great person.
Show me the empirical evidence that she is the best in the business.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Catintheheat wrote:
enfuego wrote:

http://www.nsca.com/annual-awards/college-coach/

2013 - Andrea Hudy, CSCS, RSCC*D, University of Kansas

Testimonials

“When Andrea Hudy started with our program at the University of Connecticut, she was one of the first female strength and conditioning coaches that I am aware of, who worked with a men’s basketball team, and more importantly, two National Championship teams. As part of our program, she continuously and effectively motivated all our athletes to grow both mentally and physically. Andrea is one of the finest collegiate strength coaches and it was my great pleasure to have worked with her here at the University of Connecticut. She is a true talent.”

Jim Calhoun, Naismith Hall of Fame, National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, 3-Time NCAA National Championship Coach

“The combination of culture and technology at the sports performance facility at the University of Kansas is unlike any other that I’ve seen. That, with Andrea Hudy’s willingness to help anyone who walks through the doors, sets her apart not only as a coach, but as a leader.”

Nick Collison, Two Final Four appearances with Kansas Jayhawks, #12 draft pick, Oklahoma City Thunder

“The theoretical development of the non-linear method of periodization was realized with my work with Coach Andrea Hudy when she was here at UConn working with our basketball teams. Our work together helped to validate the flexible non-linear approach to optimizing training sequences for athletes that were placed within very demanding environments with multiple vectors of stress making optimal training day to day a real challenge. Her willingness to use my flexible non-linear approach to training of these athletes took courage and acceptance of “outside the box” thinking.”

William J. Kraemer, Ph.D., CSCS, *D, FNSCA, FACSM Professor, University of Connecticut

“Hudy helped me in sport and in life. She taught me what it meant to strive for perfection in and out of training.‘Discipline in work ethic brings self control in life choices’ is just one of the characteristics I learned from Hudy.”

Darrell Stuckey, San Diego Chargers

“Coach Hudy helped me become one of the healthiest reactive basketball players in college and the WNBA. Her programming provided the best physical and mental results to prepare me for the highest levels of competition.”

Swin Cash, 3 time NCAA National Champion, WNBA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist

“In a word, Andrea Hudy stands for INNOVATION. Her Performance Center for Basketball at Kansas sets a standard that is unmatched in equipment design and the use of technology, which allows her programs to be individualized for the needs of the athlete.”

Boyd Epley, 5-Time National Championship Strength Coach for Nebraska Football, National Strength
and Conditioning Association Founder
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

enflamo talking trainer smack. :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Re: What? Me worry?

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:
Does CSM have any friends in high places in the NBA? Hoiberg is reportedly getting a deal worth 5 years/$25 million. Pop makes $11 Mil/year. Doc over $10. Flip Saunders, $9 mil. Some crazy money in the league. Coach a few years and retire. Summer is going to go on forever at this pace.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine $$$ was the only reason Mike Montgomery left Stanford for the NBA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
enfuego wrote:

http://www.nsca.com/annual-awards/college-coach/

2013 - Andrea Hudy, CSCS, RSCC*D, University of Kansas

Testimonials

“When Andrea Hudy started with our program at the University of Connecticut, she was one of the first female strength and conditioning coaches that I am aware of, who worked with a men’s basketball team, and more importantly, two National Championship teams. As part of our program, she continuously and effectively motivated all our athletes to grow both mentally and physically. Andrea is one of the finest collegiate strength coaches and it was my great pleasure to have worked with her here at the University of Connecticut. She is a true talent.”

Jim Calhoun, Naismith Hall of Fame, National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, 3-Time NCAA National Championship Coach

“The combination of culture and technology at the sports performance facility at the University of Kansas is unlike any other that I’ve seen. That, with Andrea Hudy’s willingness to help anyone who walks through the doors, sets her apart not only as a coach, but as a leader.”

Nick Collison, Two Final Four appearances with Kansas Jayhawks, #12 draft pick, Oklahoma City Thunder

“The theoretical development of the non-linear method of periodization was realized with my work with Coach Andrea Hudy when she was here at UConn working with our basketball teams. Our work together helped to validate the flexible non-linear approach to optimizing training sequences for athletes that were placed within very demanding environments with multiple vectors of stress making optimal training day to day a real challenge. Her willingness to use my flexible non-linear approach to training of these athletes took courage and acceptance of “outside the box” thinking.”

William J. Kraemer, Ph.D., CSCS, *D, FNSCA, FACSM Professor, University of Connecticut

“Hudy helped me in sport and in life. She taught me what it meant to strive for perfection in and out of training.‘Discipline in work ethic brings self control in life choices’ is just one of the characteristics I learned from Hudy.”

Darrell Stuckey, San Diego Chargers

“Coach Hudy helped me become one of the healthiest reactive basketball players in college and the WNBA. Her programming provided the best physical and mental results to prepare me for the highest levels of competition.”

Swin Cash, 3 time NCAA National Champion, WNBA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist

“In a word, Andrea Hudy stands for INNOVATION. Her Performance Center for Basketball at Kansas sets a standard that is unmatched in equipment design and the use of technology, which allows her programs to be individualized for the needs of the athlete.”

Boyd Epley, 5-Time National Championship Strength Coach for Nebraska Football, National Strength
and Conditioning Association Founder
"After working with Andrea for a year, I've reached Greg Oden status. Both in draft position and crippling injury."--Joel Embiid

"I'd hit it."--Naadir Tharpe

"She got me in the best shape of my life. One time, I think I saw my penis in a mirror."--Charlie Weis
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... d1ef8.html
38 minutes ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

Arizona has withdrawn its proposal to the Arizona Board of Regents to rework Sean Miller's contract because of a “technical issue,” athletic director Greg Byrne said today.

UA had initially sought approval at the Regents meeting today on a one-year contract extension through 2019-20 and earlier vesting in a retention plan for Miller.

Byrne said he still expected Miller would receive a one-year extension, while it is possible language may be changed involving a complex retention plan funded by a UA booster. The contract may be resubmitted for the Regents' next meeting in September.

“There’s just a technical issue within the contract that we need to address,” Byrne said. “These contracts are long and there’s a lot of language in it. I can promise you there’s no issue between us and Sean.”

UA had proposed that Miller will receive $100,000 extra (equaling total guaranteed pay of $2.8 million) for an additional season of 2019-2020. In addition, UA initially proposed a faster track for him to receive shares in an outside retention plan worth about $6 million, should he leave UA.

Meanwhile, the Regents approved a $175,000 raise and earlier retention payouts for UA football coach Rich Rodriguez along with a five-year deal for new ASU basketball coach Bobby Hurley, who will start at $1.2 million.

Rodriguez' base salary was scheduled to be raised from $1.5 to 1.6 million for next season but will now be $1.775 million – though many of his incentive bonuses will decrease -- while his contract will also be extended through 2020.

In addition, both Rodriguez and Miller will have earlier access to their outside retention plans.

Last year, it was announced Rodriguez, Miller and UA athletic director Greg Byrne would all receive retention bonuses in the form of stock from an unnamed UA benefactor.

But both coaches initially were eligible only to receive the full amount of the stock value if they remained at Arizona for eight seasons - or stayed at least four but were fired without cause after that.

That meant Rodriguez was set to receive a cash payment equal to the full value of his stock units (approximately $6.19 million as of May 2014) in 2022. But now, Rodriguez can collect 25 percent of his retention bonus on March 15, 2016. He can collect another 25 percent in 2018 and the final 50 percent in 2020.

The new retention plan proposal for Miller differed slightly. He would have vested at the same rates but is not eligible to actually acquire the stock until he leaves the UA for any reason.

However, Miller is eligible to receive the full $2.1 million of a separate UA-funded retention plan if he stays through next season; that plan has allocated $300,000 per year since Miller arrived in 2009.

Miller has $100,000 salary escalators in his contracts for most seasons. For next season, he is guaranteed $1.4 million in base pay from UA, $700,000 for peripheral duties and about $400,000 from Nike and IMG.

Hurley’s new contract at ASU includes $100,000 annual salary escalators through 2019 while he will receive an extra $200,000 in 2019-20. The Regents also voted to approve ASU’s absorption of a $525,000 buyout payment Hurley owed Buffalo.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona has withdrawn its proposal to the Arizona Board of Regents to rework Sean Miller's contract because of a “technical issue,” athletic director Greg Byrne said today.

"Technical issue"???

Ooopss :oops:

Byrne said he still expected Miller would receive a one-year extension, while it is possible language may be changed involving a complex retention plan funded by a UA booster. The contract may be resubmitted for the Regents' next meeting in September.

“There’s just a technical issue within the contract that we need to address,” Byrne said. “These contracts are long and there’s a lot of language in it. I can promise you there’s no issue between us and Sean.”

Need to fix this now
mofo

Post by mofo »

HiCat wrote:Need to fix this now
I can't imagine it's that big of a deal. I would sure hope CSM isn't that much of a diva.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm gonna see CSM tonight at an event. I'll be sure to ask him about it
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm sure he sees the effort was there and there was a mistake. All that matters.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I love our coaches and am 100% behind giving them the raises indicated. And am ZERO % behind accelerating the vesting period for their retention plans.

That is utter horse$hit... And is another example of amateurish negotiation, which AD's across the nation seem to exhibit at every turn. You give something, then you get something - period. And what exactly do we get out of this concession? Unless there is a bigger contract termination clause from the coaches - absolutely nothing.

And if the answer is "goodwill", no need to bother with a response. Because anyone negotiating for accelerated compensation, and representing it as "strengthening our trust and relationship" is offering up nothing but a Trojan horse. Bend over and prepare to assume the position... And do not complain when you receive what you should have been expecting.

I do not like this. At All. Pretty simple.. Stay and get paid - or don't and you won't.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I agree 100 pct
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:I love our coaches and am 100% behind giving them the raises indicated. And am ZERO % behind accelerating the vesting period for their retention plans.

That is utter horse$hit... And is another example of amateurish negotiation, which AD's across the nation seem to exhibit at every turn. You give something, then you get something - period. And what exactly do we get out of this concession? Unless there is a bigger contract termination clause from the coaches - absolutely nothing.

And if the answer is "goodwill", no need to bother with a response. Because anyone negotiating for accelerated compensation, and representing it as "strengthening our trust and relationship" is offering up nothing but a Trojan horse. Bend over and prepare to assume the position... And do not complain when you receive what you should have been expecting.

I do not like this. At All. Pretty simple.. Stay and get paid - or don't and you won't.
Agreed completely. The whole purpose behind the retention plans were to cover the athletic department's ass plain and simple. If Miller and/or RR decided it was time to move on earlier then all that money would have went to the Athletic Department, which could've been used to buyout prospective new coaches' contracts or improve facilities, but instead now we're just giving the money away and for what reason? To make it easier for each of these coaches to cash out earlier and move on to a new opportunity if they want to? You called it perfectly Harvey, if this is done for "goodwill" then this is complete horseshit. You build goodwill by getting your coaches backs and putting them in for raises every damn year, which is what is already being done. Vesting them early in these retention plans isn't goodwill it's just pure bending over and taking it in the tailpipe.

I'm also a bit confused by this. Can Byrne make this call or did the donor who put this plan together have to make it?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they looking to move up the retention plan schedule by one year? If so, then this kvetching is kind of funny.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they looking to move up the retention plan schedule by one year? If so, then this kvetching is kind of funny.
No, the retention plan is set until 2020. Under this proposal Miller/RR would be 1/4 vested in 2016 and 1/2 vested in 2018. So theoretically if Miller/RR wanted to they could walk out after next season with a $3.6 million plus check in hand. Prior to this proposal they both had to stay until June 2020 to collect any money (All of the money) and if they left before that date then the athletic department would get all of it to spend it however they so chose.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they looking to move up the retention plan schedule by one year? If so, then this kvetching is kind of funny.
No, the retention plan is set until 2020. Under this proposal Miller/RR would be 1/4 vested in 2016 and 1/2 vested in 2018. So theoretically if Miller/RR wanted to they could walk out after next season with a $3.6 million plus check in hand. Prior to this proposal they both had to stay until June 2020 to collect any money (All of the money) and if they left before that date then the athletic department would get all of it to spend it however they so chose.
why would be alter the retention plan? wtf is wrong with 2020 as the point at which they collect money.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It might have to do with the volitility of the energy sector. Moving it up allows them to determine price points for execution.

I do agree though with Harvey. If you are going to have a retention plan (Golden handcuffs ), keep the original wording.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Summer Presser: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... id=4141114

Coach didnt know they eliminated the 5 second rule :lol: "Did they really? I did not know that. Is that right? huh" At 23:15
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks Jefe!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not that ever called it anyway, just like palming.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I think TJ got it called at least 2 times last season. Strange he doesnt remember
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Sean Miller ready to lead Team USA

Arizona Wildcats head basketball coach Sean Miller is ready to lead his country’s best into battle, as head coach of the USA U19 World Championship team — during the event from June 27 to July 5 — but he realizes the pressure that’s on him to win another gold medal.

“It’ll be a heck of a challenge,” Miller said earlier this week. “USA Basketball has not always been successful taking a group in this tournament. … It’s not like we enter this tournament as a heavy favorite. We’re going to face pros and teams that have been together for multiple years and we’ll take a group that hasn’t always been together.”

http://phoenix.suntimes.com/phx-sports/ ... mpionships
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm not to sure where to post this but here is the final list for the Team USA U19 roster. No T.J. Leaf:

Arizona head coach Sean Miller and his staff made an initial round of cuts today for the National U19 team which will play in the World Championship in Greece.

16 players made the Finalists Rosters. T.J. Leaf, Silas Melson, Eric Paschall, Malik Pope & Seventh Woods were the five players who did not make the 16 man roster.

2015 USA Men’s U19 World Championship Team Finalists Roster

NO NAME POS HGT WGT #AGE YOG HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE HOMETOWN
28 Justin Bibbs F 6-5 220 19 2018 Virginia Tech Dayton, OH
53 Isaiah Briscoe G 6-3 205 19 2015 Roselle Catholic H.S./*Kentucky Union, NJ
27 Jalen Brunson G 6-3 190 18 2015 Stevenson H.S./*Villanova Lincolnshire, IL
47 Brekkott Chapman F 6-8 200 19 2018 Utah Roy, UT
46 Vince Edwards F 6-7 220 19 2018 Purdue Middletown, OH
26 Jawun Evans G 6-0 175 18 2015 Kimball H.S./*Oklahoma State Dallas, Texas
44 Terrance Ferguson G 6-6 175 18 2016 Homeschooled Dallas, TX
54 Harry Giles F 6-10 215 17 2016 Wesleyan Christian Academy Winston-Salem, NC
37 Josh Jackson F 6-7 185 18 2016 Prolific Prep, CA Southfield, MI
19 Riley LaChance G 6-2 194 19 2018 Vanderbilt Brookfield, WI
66 Chinanu Onauku F 6-10 230 18 2018 Louisville Lanham, MD
29 L.J. Peak F 6-5 215 19 2018 Georgetown Gaffney, SC
67 Caleb Swanigan C 6-9 260 18 2015 Homestead H.S./*Purdue Fort Wayne, IN
39 Jayson Tatum G 6-7 175 17 2016 Chaminade College Prep St. Louis, MO
17 Allonzo Trier G 6-4 195 19 2015 Findlay Prep, Nev./*Arizona Seattle, WA
65 Thomas Welsh C 7-0 240 19 2018 UCLA Redondo Beach, CA

Head Coach: Sean Miller, University of Arizona
Assistant Coach: Ed Cooley, Providence College
Assistant Coach: Archie Miller, University of Dayton
Athletic Trainer: Justin Kokoskie, University of Arizona
Team Physician: John Hefferon, Northwestern Center for Orthopedics, Chicago, Illinois

http://247sports.com/Bolt/USA-U19-roste ... 6-37769733
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

dont know how to imbed a tweet... but this was from jason king earlier today...
This is my 1st time watchin Sean Miller coach a practice. Only reinforces my belief that he's one of the top 5 or 6 coaches in CBB right now
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

baycat93 wrote:dont know how to imbed a tweet... but this was from jason king earlier today...
This is my 1st time watchin Sean Miller coach a practice. Only reinforces my belief that he's one of the top 5 or 6 coaches in CBB right now
It will be interesting to see what CSM learns from this experence and who he will apply that for next season? I think it may force him to lossen up on the offense side of the court because he only has a few weeks to get team USA on track. Thoughts?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
baycat93 wrote:dont know how to imbed a tweet... but this was from jason king earlier today...
It will be interesting to see what CSM learns from this experence and who he will apply that for next season? I think it may force him to lossen up on the offense side of the court because he only has a few weeks to get team USA on track. Thoughts?
My guess is he follows the company line and has his team press the vast majority of the game just like they did last year. He has ridiculous depth so there's no reason not to. In regards to the offense I have no idea what he does exactly that "tightens up" his offense, so I don't know what he could do to loosen it up.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
My guess is he follows the company line and has his team press the vast majority of the game just like they did last year. He has ridiculous depth so there's no reason not to. In regards to the offense I have no idea what he does exactly that "tightens up" his offense, so I don't know what he could do to loosen it up.
Among power conference schools, Arizona was 7th in scoring. Tops in the Pac-12. It's not good enough that we scored more than Kentucky, Wisconsin, Oregon, Ohio State, etc.

Miller needs to loosen up so we can match the leader, Duke, which averaged two buckets more per game: 80.6 vs. 76.4.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Among power conference schools, Arizona was 7th in scoring. Tops in the Pac-12. It's not good enough that we scored more than Kentucky, Wisconsin, Oregon, Ohio State, etc.

Miller needs to loosen up so we can match the leader, Duke, which averaged two buckets more per game: 80.6 vs. 76.4.
I was talking about improving the flow of our offense. Everybody has complained when our offense boggs down.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, CSM said his guys are gonna work the donovan strategy and press after every basket

dunno what exactly he'll be able to take over / bring back from this, since a big part of the prep is simply adjusting to the international pace and ruleset. he's also worked with cooley and, of course, archie before so his take-aways from the rest of the staff will probably be marginal, at least compared to last time. still, great exposure and a great experience for Miller. i'm sure he's enjoying a respite from the grind of the program, not to mention the brutal weather in tucson right about now.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Think they have a place in Pinetop, so he has that too. Yes, I follow the entire Miller clan on Twitter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:

I was talking about improving the flow of our offense. Everybody has complained when our offense boggs down.
So you mean you think Miller needs to loosen up his offense so his players can hit shots? I imagine he's got a shortage of shooters at his disposal on the USA team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

3goggles wrote:
gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:

Everybody should complain when an offense bogs down. But, according to the numbers, that happens a lot more at other schools.

If "loosening it" (whatever that means) were the solution, everybody would do it. Must be more to it than that. You don't get points for flow. You get points for buckets, and we were a relatively high-scoring team last year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and efficient