Fallen Leaf

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Fallen Leaf

Post by Beachcat97 »

I couldn't find a thread just on TJ and thought he deserved one. As of now, he's the gem of our '16 class.

For those who've watched him a lot, are there any former 'Cats you'd compare him to? He seems to get off the floor well, has good handles, and can be a "stretch 4."
97cats

Re: TJ Leaf

Post by 97cats »

Leaf is very good, but Josh Jackson is the "gem" of the class
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I couldn't find a thread just on TJ and thought he deserved one. As of now, he's the gem of our '16 class.

For those who've watched him a lot, are there any former 'Cats you'd compare him to? He seems to get off the floor well, has good handles, and can be a "stretch 4."
No ex-Cats that I can think of. My comparison would be a stronger, more athletic (slightly shorter) Kyle Wiltjer. He has a similar touch around the rim and ability to face and shoot, but is just light years better in foot speed and bounce.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I couldn't find a thread just on TJ and thought he deserved one. As of now, he's the gem of our '16 class.

No ex-Cats that I can think of. My comparison would be a stronger, more athletic (slightly shorter) Kyle Wiltjer. He has a similar touch around the rim and ability to face and shoot, but is just light years better in foot speed and bounce.
What about a more athletic Ivan Radenovic?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with 97 that JJ is the man in this class. Must get. As for Leaf he shoots it like Ricky Anderson ad much better vision, more like Walton and Iggy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

How about a less pigmented LaMarcus Aldridge.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Josh Jackson

Is Leaf a good defender?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Leaf has the size and quickness to become a good defender, if he's not one already.

And I didn't realize that Arizona is right where it wants to be with JJ.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:And I didn't realize that Arizona is right where it wants to be with JJ.
I don't think anyone said that.

Also, don't hijack your own thread.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Since when have cross racial comparisons been allowed?

He's white, so I'm astonished next Larry Bird hasn't been tossed out yet.
gumby

Post by gumby »

3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Or a smarter Ryan Leaf.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Dunleavy and Parsons in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

knock it off!!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pretty fly for a wh.... oh never mind.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: No ex-Cats that I can think of. My comparison would be a stronger, more athletic (slightly shorter) Kyle Wiltjer. He has a similar touch around the rim and ability to face and shoot, but is just light years better in foot speed and bounce.

Dunleavy and Parsons in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1.
Do Europeans count as white? Nowitzki, Schrempf and Bargnani are incoming.

Uwe Blab. DWAYNE SCHINTZIUS. TJ McConnell. Brent Barry. Rick Barry. George Mikan. Every member of the 60's Celtics except KC Jones and Bill Russell.

He's like Mark Price, except he's 6'10, not a point guard, has never made a NBA allstar team, etc. But he's white and pees standing up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:And I didn't realize that Arizona is right where it wants to be with JJ.

Read the thread, Chi. 97 said, and I quote, JJ is the "gem of the class."

So yeah, not only did someone say that, it was the person who tends to be most in the know.

Originally, I asked for former Cats with similar games to TJ's. This whole race thing seems to have started with your "less pigmented" remark.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

So yeah, not only did someone say that, it was the person who tends to be most in the know.

Originally, I asked for former Cats with similar games to TJ's. This whole race thing seems to have started with your "less pigmented" remark.
He's like a basketball version of Snow's "Informer."
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Gem of our class or the gem of the entire class of high school students? I took it as the latter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Gem of our class or the gem of the entire class of high school students? I took it as the latter.
I did too.

There is still the possibility he never sees an NCAA court. I don't think any school is right where it wants to be with Mr. Jackson.

But we're talking about Mr. Leaf...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

For possibly the first (and likely only) time in history, I am siding with BC97 on this one.

From the OP in the thread:
BeachCat97 wrote:As of now, he's the gem of our '16 class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Is it really much of a stretch to say our only commit of our 2016 class is the gem of the class so far?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ChooChooCat wrote:Is it really much of a stretch to say our only commit of our 2016 class is the gem of the class so far?
So true.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Is it really much of a stretch to say our only commit of our 2016 class is the gem of the class so far?
Yes, he's our only commit, but he could still end up being the gem of the class. He's a legit 5 star and ranked in the top 10 nationally. If we add someone ranked higher, we're looking at another top 5 class nationally.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm now even more confused.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I'm not saying he's the gem. I'm just saying he's a gem.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I thought TJ had one of the best summers of his class? 247 dropped him 10 sports 23 or something like that! WTF?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So is he a gem or not?!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

I don't time to look up the stats but he played really well for the Israeli team this summer. Was a double double machine
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tell me good things about him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:Tell me good things about him.
He Israel good at basketball.
gumby

Post by gumby »

But Syriasly folks ....
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AND HE JUST DECOMMITTED. WHAT THE FUCK?!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Uh what
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

anyone know why?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:anyone know why?
Compton Magic and Adidas is the only reason I can think of.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'm pissed
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can Miller recruit?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This is why you don't recruit over commitments. Say all you want about kids needing to compete. Kids are jackasses.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:This is why you don't recruit over commitments. Say all you want about kids needing to compete. Kids are jackasses.
I don't think anyone in the world should be scared off of Lightfoot, but the FInnish kid, De'ron Davis, when you already have Leaf, Ray Smith, pushing for Josh Jackson, and have Ristic and Comanche wtf is your strategy here? Well I guess the strategy was to force out our 5 star future NBA 4 man. Great job guys.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

I'm mellllllting...melllllting....oh what a world!!!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I have a feeling he will end up at UCLA.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Irish27 wrote:I have a feeling he will end up at UCLA.

Oh geez, beach cat is going to have an epic meltdown
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Lightfoot is Korchek 2.0 so he shouldn't matter, Comanche is CLEARLY A PROJECT so he's no sure thing. Ristic is only legit big man and who knows if he stays at az 4 years (thinking overseas for a few more so than NBA) going forward.

Leaf is 100% a 4 not a 5 so I don't understand why Leaf would be upset if they are recruiting a 5 like Davis or the Finnish kid to play next to him???

Doesn't seem like that could be a real issue unless kid is getting some bad advice or something about it.

The 4-spot is wiiiiiiiiiiide open for playing time for '16 and beyond w our long term 4 jumping ship to Baton Rouge last year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:Lightfoot is Korchek 2.0 so he shouldn't matter, Comanche is CLEARLY A PROJECT so he's no sure thing. Ristic is only legit big man and who knows if he stays at az 4 years (thinking overseas for a few more so than NBA) going forward.

Leaf is 100% a 4 not a 5 so I don't understand why Leaf would be upset if they are recruiting a 5 like Davis or the Finnish kid to play next to him???

Doesn't seem like that could be a real issue unless kid is getting some bad advice or something about it.

The 4-spot is wiiiiiiiiiiide open for playing time for '16 and beyond w our long term 4 jumping ship to Baton Rouge last year.
I'm with you on Lightfoot.

I know full well Comanche and Ristic are 5s and Leaf is a 4. The point is why is Arizona throwing out offers left and right to numerous post players when you already have your starting 5 next season, your back up 5 next season, your starting 4 man next season, and numerous candidates for back up 4 (Smith, Jackson can both play the 4 in college with zero problems).

Meanwhile Arizona is serious with the Finnish kid, De'Ron Davis, and Korcheck 2.0. I agree the last one shouldn't matter, but if I'm an opposing coaching staff I sure as hell push the angle that Arizona is either A. recruiting over you or B. doesn't think you're good enough to start at the level they want you to right away.

In regards to Comanche being a project, if he shows he's not capable the following year then you recruit a high level 2017 center like Brandon McCoy, but he's a 4 star "project" for a reason. So in the end Miller's roster management here gets an F. He didn't need to recruit more bigs. Lightfoot as a Korcheck 2.0 should have been the only one to pursue for this class. He likely screwed himself and he sure as hell didn't need to.

Now Arizona has to try to convince the Finnish kid to pass on Utah (connection with his trusted head coach) and UNC (connection with his dad) to have an actual NBA caliber true PF on its roster next season. I don't exactly have tons of confidence in Sean Miller right now to pull that off, although we do have playing time to sell him that we didn't have before.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Actually, I agree with Salim Shooter. The more I hear about this, the more comfortable I am with him not coming to Arizona. Not meant to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If people don't want to come and play in the best west program for the past 30 years then that's fine. Arizona and miller will be fine without them.

Just like this year. Let's see how Rabb and Cal do versus how Arizona does.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Choochoo step away from the cliff and breath!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

I just cannot imagine the balls it takes to pick up the phone to call a coach that you have been committed to and tell them that you are now "out". Especially when you are going to end up at their #1 rival. That is some big ol' balls!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:Choochoo step away from the cliff and breath!
Just upset, because Miller had Zeus, Ashley, Chol, and Jerrett and we all saw how that worked out. So what does Miller do? Attempts to recreate the situation again with the multiple big offers he has out and in turn lost his NBA PF next year. It's ridiculous and totally unnecessary. You have the golden goose, you don't need to go chase golden eggs when the guy you already have locked up shits them out. Sigh....
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I wouldn't call him the golden goose