UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounding like Cody Riley could be committing here soon. The Crystal Ball network had a lot of CB's to UCLA
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Sounding like Cody Riley could be committing here soon. The Crystal Ball network had a lot of CB's to UCLA
If he ends up at UCLA, one can only conclude better programs weren't interested.

Heh.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Get ready for Ball-busting.
Right where I want to be.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

5'7 120 right now lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UCLA has got some really tiny Balls.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Apparently Bryce would give up his scholarship for Leaf, if it came to that
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why is he occupying a scholarship to begin with?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bill Frieder was at ASU the last time UCLA didnt have a ride available for someone last minute. Hasnt been an issue
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:Apparently Bryce would give up his scholarship for Leaf, if it came to that
Going to be an Uber driver?

UA has free tuition for employee's children. Does UCLA?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsCBB/status ... 1429995520

This won't be a good day for the Pac. It's hard when the league only has one elite program year after year.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Apparently Bryce would give up his scholarship for Leaf, if it came to that
Going to be an Uber driver?

UA has free tuition for employee's children. Does UCLA?
U of A gives a 75% discount to all regent schools. I tell my kids they can go to UA or NAU...two choices.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://twitter.com/CBSSportsCBB/status ... 1429995520

This won't be a good day for the Pac. It's hard when the league only has one elite program year after year.
??
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think he was trying to explain that the foursome teams know what a Final Four looks like in recruit's lifetimes?

No idea past that
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Just more players RC97 never heard of
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Jaylen Hands........................done
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Brings this scene to mind:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

The Compton magic better be a damn good team because UCLA is loading up on that team!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Man Scheer is salty these days
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

It's all about relationships.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

They'll get a good 17 class
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

MrBug708 wrote:Man Scheer is salty these days
Lol he got into it with some coach on Twitter after that. I really hope that dude isn't Hands' coach. Poor showing by a person in a position of authority if so.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KOQSTRONG wrote:
Lol he got into it with some coach on Twitter after that. I really hope that dude isn't Hands' coach. Poor showing by a person in a position of authority if so.
That's one of Alford's old players. Told Normal Powell to stay at school for Alford too...ironically also is a coach for the Compton Magic.

All shocking revelations I am sure...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Olsondogg wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:
That's one of Alford's old players. Told Normal Powell to stay at school for Alford too...ironically also is a coach for the Compton Magic.

Figures. Why do the Compton Magic hate SM so much again? Isnt Bayless one of their alumni or somehow tied to them again? Their coaches sound like a bunch of tools. And that dude was instigating a public Twitter feud too, nice.....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

KOQSTRONG wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:

Figures. Why do the Compton Magic hate SM so much again? Isnt Bayless one of their alumni or somehow tied to them again? Their coaches sound like a bunch of tools. And that dude was instigating a public Twitter feud too, nice.....
It starts with Nike vs. Adidas and ends up somewhere around small dick syndrome.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I hope he is not still deluding himself into believing he is some sort of 'journalist'; he is a fan acting as moderator for a fan website, and his tweets prove as much. I had hoped he might stop embarrassing himself after souring on Rabb before his announcement; wishful thinking on my part.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KAJ does make some good points.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

What a terrible article. I expect that kind of bias from fans, but someone working for CBS should be more fair.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I don't see anything wrong with the article. Kareem comes off the like an idiot here:

1) He said he watched them in the "playoffs." NCAA TOURNAMENT or Pac 12 TOURNAMENT?
2) He is comparing the current program to completely different eras with different styles of play, different rules, different pace, etc. College basketball is ugly just about everywhere right now, the game as a whole.
3) He is comparing a present-day coach to Wooden, which is going to be a losing comparison for just about any present-day coach.
4) Wooden did not have to deal with all of the crap the modern day coach does. It was easier to win back then, easier to stockpile the best players in the country. The ego checking is unreal these days with social media and ESPN and AAU coaches and everyone else getting in these kids heads and inflating their egos. They are taught crappy basketball at an early age, up through college, and emulate the exciting aspects of basketball rather than the basic fundamentals. Not doubting Wooden as a coach at all, but its much easier to build a fine-tuned machine with a team full of guys who listen (Walton and his difficult personality being an exception, I'm sure there were others) and grasp team ahead of individual success and landing in the lottery.

I guess those old-ass Lakers love to bitch and whine about the way things used to be and how they should be now. Grumpy old men like Kareem and Magic. Things change, and it is stupid and downright unrealistic to think that your undefeated UCLA teams and/or Showtime Lakers were the standard and anything under that is completely unacceptable and should be criticized. Being an ass with off the court/field conduct and embarrassing your alma mater or ex-organization is one thing, but this is completely different.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It's like KAJ is promoting a book or something
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Does Steve Alford suck? Yes. Does college basketball today suck for the most part? Yes. Is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's take stupid? Absolutely.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Im going to hate myself for asking, but does BC97 not post here anymore?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Interesting. Im sure there is a lot more to the story, but Im not sure we ever hear it.

Hopefully this gives cause to fired Alford without paying the buyout.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Short story: Alford and UCLA basketball should be fine. There's no evidence of wrongdoing by coaches despite the academic coordinator's claims otherwise. What is clear is that the buffer between coaches and instructors was maintained, and that, ironically, it's the faculty who dropped the ball on maintaining academic integrity in college athletics. Similar to UNC in that regard.
az91

Post by az91 »

Longhorned wrote:Short story: Alford and UCLA basketball should be fine. There's no evidence of wrongdoing by coaches despite the academic coordinator's claims otherwise. What is clear is that the buffer between coaches and instructors was maintained, and that, ironically, it's the faculty who dropped the ball on maintaining academic integrity in college athletics. Similar to UNC in that regard.
Really? This article indicates that coaching staff may have been involved in wrongdoing: http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basket ... ic-advisor
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

az91 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Short story: Alford and UCLA basketball should be fine. There's no evidence of wrongdoing by coaches despite the academic coordinator's claims otherwise. What is clear is that the buffer between coaches and instructors was maintained, and that, ironically, it's the faculty who dropped the ball on maintaining academic integrity in college athletics. Similar to UNC in that regard.
Really? This article indicates that coaching staff may have been involved in wrongdoing: http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basket ... ic-advisor
Did you maybe link the wrong article? That's a Bruins Nation piece that defends Broussard by questioning the motivation of the academic coordinator. It's the opposite of indicating any wrongdoing on behalf of the UCLA coaching staff, which isn't surprising given the bias. The quotes are all taken from the original Chronicle of Higher Education article, which contains the academic coordinator's claims. Despite those claims, there's no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Bruins coaching staff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice to see the crowd at Pauley in midseason form.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Nice to see the crowd at Pauley in midseason form.
You don't know what the traffic is like man. Earlier today on the college basketball reddit I literally had 6 different Ucla fans whining about the traffic and how non LA people just don't understand and that they filled it all the time during the howland final four years. (They averaged 77% capacity those years)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I work with three UCLA alums who had no idea college basketball started today. They also didn't know the name of UCLA's coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I work with three UCLA alums who had no idea college basketball started today. They also didn't know the name of UCLA's coach.
They'd probably recognize a picture of him since he has the single worst haircut in all of LA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I work with three UCLA alums who had no idea college basketball started today. They also didn't know the name of UCLA's coach.
They'd probably recognize a picture of him since he has the single worst haircut in all of LA.
All three, however, knew many details about UCLA football (all three are between 30 and 35). Even older Bruin alums I know, who were there in the 70s and 80s, are far more interested in the football team.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

How is UCLA tied with Monmouth at home with 30 seconds left in the game? It isn't like the cupboard is bare.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is barely above a bubble team with how the team is set up. They probably will play 7 more of the year and one of them is out of this game
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

enfuego wrote:How is UCLA tied with Monmouth at home with 30 seconds left in the game? It isn't like the cupboard is bare.
The cupboard may not be bare, but they aren't exactly led by the sharpest knife in the drawer.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pretty much. Terrible defense
Zero

Post by Zero »

Outcoached. Pretty bad game. Once again the pac12 RPI takes a shit. Thanks UCLA and ASU.