Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

wyo-cat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by wyo-cat »

Serious weak sauce. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:LOL.

He blocked me from seeing his tweets now.

If you wanna know who he is, go to my Twitter and look at my last tweet. The douche known as Machina in here goes by his real name, which rhymes with Machina....

He's such a pathetic loser, afraid to stand by what he types.
Exposed! Chi totally called it with the pic from Arcadia Tavern!

salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

If you wanna know who he is, go to my Twitter and look at my last tweet. The douche known as Machina in here goes by his real name, which rhymes with Machina....

Vageena?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

salim'sheadband wrote:

Vageena?
Only to close friends and family.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Love the photo.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That's amazing. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Anyone have a link to the presser?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Thank you
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just love watching that man coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

59-1
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

97cats wrote:59-1
What is this stat, 97?

Go Cats!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I belive it is the record for U of A when scoring over a certain number of points. 70?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basket ... rejects-it" target="_blank

more in the link but...
But at that point, Alford decided to take a detour by responding indirectly to Sean Miller's question:

"Today somebody was asking me...why come to UCLA? ... When you're in the second largest market in the country, and you're in an academic institution that is top-10 in the world, the most applied to university in the world, those are special things. Then you add our tradition here of 112 national titles--most in the country--11 in basketball--most in basketball. You almost have to find a reason why not to come here. It's a culture of excellence..."

But Alford wasn't finished with his recruiting pitch. Although Alford has been at UCLA for over two years now, he apparently wants to be sure that everyone knows that he's not Ben Howland (emphasis added):

"Now that we've been here two years, I think now these young players are seeing how we let them play. We don't handcuff them, we don't micromanage, we give them the freedom to play through the teaching and fundamentals of what we're trying to do."
:lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

No, you just let them run around like a bunch of untamed zoo animals and give your son the green light to chuck up shots as he pleases. His teams are garbage fundamentally. You going to talk crap with your severely underachieving teams, especially right after you lose to a high school team at home and have to come back late on another? LMFAO
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CanNOT wait for Jan 7 & Feb 12
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Main Event wrote:Anyone have a link to the presser?

Post game interviews here:

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... id=4716698" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basket ... rejects-it

more in the link but...
But at that point, Alford decided to take a detour by responding indirectly to Sean Miller's question:

"Today somebody was asking me...why come to UCLA? ... When you're in the second largest market in the country, and you're in an academic institution that is top-10 in the world, the most applied to university in the world, those are special things. Then you add our tradition here of 112 national titles--most in the country--11 in basketball--most in basketball. You almost have to find a reason why not to come here. It's a culture of excellence..."

But Alford wasn't finished with his recruiting pitch. Although Alford has been at UCLA for over two years now, he apparently wants to be sure that everyone knows that he's not Ben Howland (emphasis added):

"Now that we've been here two years, I think now these young players are seeing how we let them play. We don't handcuff them, we don't micromanage, we give them the freedom to play through the teaching and fundamentals of what we're trying to do."
:lol:
Play through the coaching. Never heard a coach use that one before.

We don't want to handcuff players by teaching them stuff. John Wooden must be glad he's dead.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We forgot Sean's bday Tuesday. Happy 47th coach!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:We forgot Sean's bday Tuesday. Happy 47th coach!
I know that you know that it doesn't really matter that we forgot his birthday since he doesn't read these boards, but consider this situation: He doesn't even know that this website exists. Imagine if there was a message board out there devoted to what you do at work, with multiple people all day long every day just talking about you and questioning and supporting what you do at work, but you were so focused on your work that you didn't even know that website existed. What does that say about us? And even worse yet, what does it say about enfuego?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Says that we're all crazy people. But I'm glad we're crazy
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:No, you just let them run around like a bunch of untamed zoo animals and give your son the green light to chuck up shots as he pleases. His teams are garbage fundamentally. You going to talk crap with your severely underachieving teams, especially right after you lose to a high school team at home and have to come back late on another? LMFAO
UCLA's gonna have to play a very good game to beat UNLV on Monday; their tourney resume is already taking hits.

I don't think Miller needed to publicly acknowledge (albeit implicitly) what the rest of the nation knows: UCLA is not the program it once was, and it's a little surprising these days when a guy like T.J. Leaf picks UCLA over AZ or even SDSU. Keep in mind: TJ wanted to come to AZ, as indicated by his verbal last year. But this kid got his feelings hurt when he didn't make the national team, and so he expressed his disappointment by reneging on his commitment and looking elsewhere. Fine. We ended up getting a better big man anyway.

Alford is an average coach at a program living in the shadow of its own past. There's no fan support, little interest among current students, and the total "experience" of being a player at UCLA cannot compare to the experience provided in places like Lexington, Lawrence, Durham, Chapel Hill, East Lansing, or Tucson. Alford knows this, of course, so all he can really do is point to accomplishments that aren't his and a legacy he hasn't contributed to.

UCLA, like every other Pac program, is chasing AZ. It's been this way for a while. Anyone who can't see this isn't paying attention.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UCLA isn't even the top university in the state - that would go to Cal and Stanford...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

wyo-cat wrote:UCLA isn't even the top university in the state - that would go to Cal and Stanford...
True, but in fairness, UCLA is among the top public universities in the world. They recently started getting more international applicants than domestic. I don't think people are going there, however, with an intention to support and follow the basketball team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Machina going full Machina with the Miller hate on twitter, stating that what he said is a bad look and should be done in private.

Please post a link.

I called him out on twitter and he deleted the tweets. No joke.

The dude won't even stand behind what his bullshit takes are.
What is his twitter name? I would like to follow him to see the crap he writes.
https://twitter.com/StevenMalina" target="_blank
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

UCLA has so many built-in recruiting advantages that aren't of their own creation: the huge media market associated with the Bruins can't be overstated. The program gets a ton of LA media attention.

The same holds true for their football program. Looking at their recruiting rankings in both sports the last 20 years, I've never seen an athletic department (football & hoops) accomplish so little with so much. Same story in football this year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Women and weather
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

carolinacat wrote: The program gets a ton of LA media attention.
Um, no. UCLA hoops is among the lightest covered teams in the city/region, even during the Howland years. AM 570 has a beat reporter assigned to UCLA hoops (can't remember his name; he's not very good), but they only time they cover the team is immediately following a game. I've lived in and around the L.A. area (Torrance, Venice, Riverside, Corona, Redondo, Palos Verdes, Pasadena) for years. This is always how it's been.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

carolinacat wrote:UCLA has so many built-in recruiting advantages that aren't of their own creation: the huge media market associated with the Bruins can't be overstated. The program gets a ton of LA media attention.

The same holds true for their football program. Looking at their recruiting rankings in both sports the last 20 years, I've never seen an athletic department (football & hoops) accomplish so little with so much. Same story in football this year.
Being in LA has advantages, but there isn't a huge media fascination and commitment to the program. Even mediocre coaches can always land recruits at UCLA; but the fact that Alford landed a top-five class is still baffling. It strange that these kids aren't concerned with how mediocre he has been as a head coach, and how mediocre UCLA has been during his tenure. It will be interesting to see if he can do anything with his class because he didn't set the world on fire with Howland's blue chip players.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

RC has you guys talking about ucla in a thread about Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MrBug708 wrote:RC has you guys talking about ucla in a thread about Sean Miller
i know, it's so fucking irritating
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:RC has you guys talking about ucla in a thread about Sean Miller
i know, it's so fucking irritating
Wait...I thought Miller brought up UCLA.

Don't take the bait, 97.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Catstatic wrote:
What is this stat, 97?

Go Cats!!
Sean Millers record at Arizona when scoring 80+ points
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Catstatic wrote:
What is this stat, 97?

Go Cats!!
Which was the one loss?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:
Catstatic wrote:
What is this stat, 97?

Go Cats!!
Which was the one loss?
http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=320640009" target="_blank

The game that arguably cost us the NCAA tourney in 2012.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks, CCC. That was really before SM got his legs under himself recruiting-wise. I'm not surprised that the one loss was so long ago.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks, CCC. That was really before SM got his legs under himself recruiting-wise. I'm not surprised that the one loss was so long ago.
No. You, and everyone else was applauding the recruiting of 5 star Josiah Turner before he arrived. Nick Johnson was also apart of that class and was highly rated. Let's not rewrite history.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

God, I completely forgot about that ASU loss and that triggered what happened thereafter. Must be a good thing that that memory was stashed so far away that I needed to be reminded.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

No. You, and everyone else was applauding the recruiting of 5 star Josiah Turner before he arrived. Nick Johnson was also apart of that class and was highly rated. Let's not rewrite history.
Josiah (and Sidiki Johnson) didn't lack in talent. The fairer way to see it was as a point where SM was less established as a recruiter and had to take some character risks that he doesn't nowadays.

That game was the single biggest turd in Miller's tenure. It was the ugly capper to an ugly year.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Josiah (and Sidiki Johnson) didn't lack in talent. The fairer way to see it was as a point where SM was less established as a recruiter and had to take some character risks that he doesn't nowadays.

That game was the single biggest turd in Miller's tenure. It was the ugly capper to an ugly year.
I was at the game, early to watch shootarounds. I wrote an extensive post on TOS...and I clearly remember the body language of Josiah as "I could fucking care less about anything" and the rest of the team wasn't much better. NJ was shooting shots wearing headphones...Fogg was chatting on the bench with a sideline reporter, and nobody seemed to actually care about being a team.

It was as bad as I had seen morale on a team under Miller. I remember thinking that the season was definitely over.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Pretty awful end of game. Don't think that Danish kid had a better game ever.

0:29 Arizona Full Timeout.
0:22 Josiah Turner missed Layup. 80-83
0:22 80-83 Trent Lockett Defensive Rebound.
0:20 Foul on Jesse Perry 80-83
0:20 80-84 Trent Lockett made Free Throw.
0:20 80-85 Trent Lockett made Free Throw.
0:10 Kyle Fogg missed Jumper. 80-85
0:10 80-85 Carrick Felix Defensive Rebound.
0:06 Foul on Jesse Perry 80-85
0:06 80-86 Carrick Felix made Free Throw.
0:06 80-87 Carrick Felix made Free Throw.
0:00 End Game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can still visualize Josiah missing the layup. ASU was comically bad that year too.

There have been more important losses, but not more unpleasant losses.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

3 and 3 at asu

Only two places he doesn't have at least a 500 record at in the conference and both can get to 500 this year.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

PHXCATS wrote:3 and 3 at asu

Only two places he doesn't have at least a 500 record at in the conference and both can get to 500 this year.
Oregon State and UCLA?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

qwertyus wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:3 and 3 at asu

Oregon State and UCLA?
At UCLA and Washington
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

In the spirit of the Holiday... I am very thankful for Sean Miller.

Happy Thanksgiving, Cat fans!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:In the spirit of the Holiday... I am very thankful for Sean Miller.

Still? ;)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:In the spirit of the Holiday... I am very thankful for Sean Miller.

Still? ;)
It would take an awful lot to change my opinion, and certainly more than one embarrassing game.... Although last night was putrid. That would have been the worst loss of his tenure.

I don't have especially high expectations for this team. We have a gaping hole at the wing; pretty tough to live up to the expectations of the past 2 seasons when the one solution to that issue tore both his ACL's in the last 15 months. 20% of our starting lineup is injured! :shock:

I think Tollefsen is a liability at this level... I don't blame Miller for getting him. He had a hole he needed to plug and took the best available short term option. He'd be fine as a complementary player, which he'd be if not for injury.

I think this will be a down year, but that we can still compete for the conference championship - and will make the NCAA tournament. Not what we have come to expect, but not any cause for alarm.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Miller is a great coach and I want him to retire here. He is the right guy to coach Arizona.

This is a young team. Having ugly games early was always a probability. How we progress is the big thing for success this year and onwards. Let's not be a bunch of Chicken Littles yet.
az91

Post by az91 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is a young team. Having ugly games early was always a probability. How we progress is the big thing for success this year and onwards. Let's not be a bunch of Chicken Littles yet.
Maybe some players will improve (Trier in particular) as the season progresses, but this team lacks elite players. Even with growth, it is hard to imagine much more than a first round exit in the NCAA Tournament this year.

It will be interesting if Miller can land some of the remaining elite recruits for 2016. That will determine whether this program can take the next step or fall back into the middle of the PAC-12.