Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Kind of a bummer, but I don't think the other guys who have coached in those roles have still had kids at home while they did it. That's gotta be rough for someone who is a work-a-holic and is still trying to be a Dad. It also probably impeded his ability to recruit in the summertime.

It was still probably a tough decision... That is quite an honor that most people would not be able to step away from.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Exactly.

https://twitter.com/abballwidow" target="_blank

Amy Miller
@abballwidow
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i remember CSM saying that the usabb gigs were a very welcome respite from the grind of being a college hc, but yeah, probably too much of an impact on family, recruiting, etc. -- and this past offseason, getting phelps on-boarded. he's got his gold, anyway.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:63-1
64-1?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:
64-1?
i believe it's 65-1 actually -- I didn't post after the LBST game

Arizona has scored 80+ in six straight if im not mistaken?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
64-1?

The ADjO has rapidly jumped.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

AdjustedO 27, AdjustedD 12. Happy with the latter, and the O is only continuing to get better.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Should Arizona win on Thursday, Sean Miller will have a winning record against every PAC team .
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Tie game, last possession everyone knows that UCLA option 1 was daddy-ball and Bryce was going to shoot another 3. Yet the staff can't figure out a way to have the 7-footer NOT attempting to guard a 3-happy PG 21 feet from the hoop apparently - brilliant

Product of Miller s predictable 1-dimensional defensive approach. Do what we do - no adjustments or change allowed! :roll:

millers a young coach still but when is the 'growing' part going to begin? I need to just accept the reality that the E8 is the highest a Miller team will ever go
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
64-1?

65-2
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

RiseAndFire wrote: millers a young coach still but when is the 'growing' part going to begin? I need to just accept the reality that the E8 is the highest a Miller team will ever go
Geeeez, that's ridiculous! You do realize we were one BS 'charge' call against Nick Johnson from going to a FF vs Wisconsin 2 years ago??? We are damned lucky to have CSM and it's just a matter of time before he gets us back to the FF.

Man, step away from the cliff and take a deep breath.....losing this game to Baby Alford just plain SUCKS but I have faith in CSM and he will lead us to the promised land soon.

Bear Down!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

RiseAndFire wrote:Tie game, last possession everyone knows that UCLA option 1 was daddy-ball and Bryce was going to shoot another 3. Yet the staff can't figure out a way to have the 7-footer NOT attempting to guard a 3-happy PG 21 feet from the hoop apparently - brilliant

Product of Miller s predictable 1-dimensional defensive approach. Do what we do - no adjustments or change allowed! :roll:

millers a young coach still but when is the 'growing' part going to begin? I need to just accept the reality that the E8 is the highest a Miller team will ever go
Troll is as troll does.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Whoever's sock RiseAndFire is, why not just stop being a coward and express those idiotic thoughts under your main handle?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'm betting RiseAndFire is actually RockyRaccoon.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Exactly. Watch the damn replay Rise. Zeus hedged, as he should, and Kadeem half-assed it through a screen and was forced to follow the screener into the paint because of that. I wish Zeus hadn't taken that step back (assisted by Alford's push off), we all knew who had the ball and he had it in his head what kind of shot he was taking no matter who was on in or how he was being guarded. But it is what it is.

As a side note, Sean Miller said this is the worst defensive team he has coached since he has been here. Now, we all know that probably isn't true, and the numbers also may say otherwise, but that was just a testament to how bad we were defensively last night. You knew they were going to hit some freak shots and be on from deep, can't compound that with all of the easy baskets we gave them because of defensive breakdowns. Anderson alone, who isn't a great defender by any stretch but still, had about 6 by himself and got benched for it. Trier played shitty defense all night. York's defense was pretty bad at times. Ristic was awful. PJC continues to struggle on that end. Tollefsen is usually the guy that gets hammered and he did just fine in his limited action.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Yep, this is on Allen, not CSM.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. Exactly how I saw it.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

holy cow I can't believe it - now the loss is blamed on Allen, for not playing Millers defense good enough, never mind that he singlehandedly brought the team back from 10 down in 2 mins?! ok!!

Allen is the only reason we didn't lose by 15.

in what world is it a good idea to have tarc 21 feet from the basket during the last shot, trying to defend anything, whether he was supposed to switch or not?

When is miller going to start evolving as a coach ?

Do what we do - which is predictable straightforward man to man defense
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RiseAndFire wrote:holy cow I can't believe it - now the loss is blamed on Allen, for not playing Millers defense good enough, never mind that he singlehandedly brought the team back from 10 down in 2 mins?! ok!!

in what world is it a good idea to have tarc 21 feet from the basket during the last shot, trying to defend anything, whether he was supposed to switch or not?

Oh, hey dum dum. Back again?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sup Rocky?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I must have missed R&F's demands that Miller "evolve" after the thirteen games we've won so far this season. Can anyone point me to those posts?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RiseAndFire wrote:holy cow I can't believe it - now the loss is blamed on Allen, for not playing Millers defense good enough, never mind that he singlehandedly brought the team back from 10 down in 2 mins?! ok!!

It's called the pack line, not straightforward man, moron.

It involves help recovery, and players are supposed to switch off screens, not defend whoever's closest. How long have you been watching this team?

And this is the second of two ridiculously stupid, reactionary posts by you today--thanks to your copy-and-paste approach to a non-point.

I hope you're not a supervisor of anyone at your real job because they'd fire you for going this wildly, wrongly over the top with your performance assessments. Watch the game again and re-think the ludicrous Miller bashing. He can't get out there and play D for the whole team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You all see him trollin, you're hatin.
gumby

Post by gumby »

RiseAndFire wrote:Tie game, last possession everyone knows that UCLA option 1 was daddy-ball and Bryce was going to shoot another 3. Yet the staff can't figure out a way to have the 7-footer NOT attempting to guard a 3-happy PG 21 feet from the hoop apparently - brilliant

Right, because the players always do exactly as told. So there's no other explanation ....
Right where I want to be.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Don't feed the troll
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I must have missed R&F's demands that Miller "evolve" after the thirteen games we've won so far this season. Can anyone point me to those posts?
How are we not still bitching about Miller being a crap offensive coach? I mean we've scored over 80 points 7 games in a row now. Unacceptable! When is Miller going to adapt?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I must have missed R&F's demands that Miller "evolve" after the thirteen games we've won so far this season. Can anyone point me to those posts?
How are we not still bitching about Miller being a crap offensive coach? I mean we've scored over 80 points 7 games in a row now. Unacceptable! When is Miller going to adapt?
It's time U of A hire a real coach. I played 4 years of CYO in high school. Even ran with the Colgate basketball team during a few open scrimmages.

What the fuck has Sean Miller ever done to prove he knows more than me?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
It's time U of A hire a real coach. I played 4 years of CYO in high school. Even ran with the Colgate basketball team during a few open scrimmages.

What the fuck has Sean Miller ever done to prove he knows more than me?

I used to coach my boys' teams when they played basketball ages 6-12. We played zone!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think we should switch to the 3-3-5. EVOLVE!!!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Are you retarded? Serious question.. How is simple pick and roll defense "Miller's defense?" Next time I am watching an NBA game and a player doesn't fight through a screen I am going to blame Sean Miller! Nobody is blaming Allen, all people are doing is pointing out this is not Sean Miller's fault. Do you have an alternative plan to stop that play knowing Allen halfheartedly gets through that screen? Take it over from that moment on Poppovich, would love to hear it. If we have to tell you why Tarc is 21 feet from the basket, in a man-to-man defense, when his man is the one setting a ball screen, you clearly are dumb.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thanks Obama
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I think we should switch to the 3-3-5. EVOLVE!!!
I doubt we'd ever lose again playing 11 guys on the basketball court at once
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

az91

Post by az91 »

Miller was furious with the defensive effort (or lack thereof) in the radio post-game interview. The talent is just not there this year to play defense at a level that we have seen the past few years.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

az91 wrote:Miller was furious with the defensive effort (or lack thereof) in the radio post-game interview. The talent is just not there this year to play defense at a level that we have seen the past few years.
Agreed. We had absolute freak defensive players in Gordon, NJ, SJ and RHJ. TJ was an absolute monster defensively, mostly because of his effort. This year's team has no one who defends as well. However, we have much better low post play in Zeus and Ristic. Anderson is a double double machine. If our guards hit wide open 3's last night it is a different story (and they will).

This is a needed wake-up call. Miller will make sure our team defensive effort gets better and better. We have no single player on offense the opposing team must stop to win ... it could be anybody on any given night. Miller is also using many more guys. If PJC and Allen push the ball every possession, it may be this team will wear down more talented teams.

UCLA was fighting for their collective lives at their place last night. Our guys played terrible and still almost pulled it out.

This team will be special in March. Let's enjoy the ride ...

Go Cats!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:Miller was furious with the defensive effort (or lack thereof) in the radio post-game interview. The talent is just not there this year to play defense at a level that we have seen the past few years.
It is and it isn't. Lacking talent means more that we cannot get away with subpar effort. If we lack effort and/or are not mentally dialed in, we don't have the freaks catstatic mentioned to make up for it. We can still be a very good defensive team, but the effort and focus have to be 100% at all times.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
If anybody could lose in this scenario, it's most certainly Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
If anybody could lose in this scenario, it's most certainly Sean Miller
Well, maybe in the Elite Eight
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

He'd go 3-3-3-1-1.

Three guys on Brust. Three guys on Gasser. Three guys on Jackson. One each on Kaminsky and Dekker.

So stubborn.
Right where I want to be.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Don't bet on it. If Casteel were the coach he would back all 11 players 20 feet off the shooters and pack all 11 players directly under the basket to ensure nobody gets a slam dunk (Bend but don't break). Wide open 3 pointers would be fine.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

dcZONAfan wrote:

Oh, hey dum dum. Back again?
Dude..do you even understand how this shit works? Kadeem was supposed to fight through the screen and cover Alford. Not give a half ass effort to get through it and then sag back and NOT even block out Parker in case there was a rebound.

Zeus was left in no man's land once he realized Kadeem didn't do his job. He tried to close on the shooter but that isn't going to happen. Alford must've sprung an instant boner when he realized Kadeem wasn't in his jock preventing him from even jacking up a three and it was Zeus who was trying to stay with and close on him.

Kadeem had a great game offensively. He kept us in the game and brought us back from the dead. But the game was decided on his one defensive breakdown at the end. It's sad but that's what happened.

He will learn from this I hope.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Ah..didn't realize this moron was just trollin'. My bad.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

ChooChooCat wrote:I must have missed R&F's demands that Miller "evolve" after the thirteen games we've won so far this season. Can anyone point me to those posts?
Are we puffing up our chests about our #94 SOS here? Is that what we're doing. Um ok. We would have lost to SANTA CLARA if they didn't brick 2 gift FTs at the last second of the game.
Chicat wrote:How are we not still bitching about Miller being a crap offensive coach? I mean we've scored over 80 points 7 games in a row now. Unacceptable! When is Miller going to adapt?
-Credit Miller for doing whatever he did with York individually to improve his 3-point shooting AMAZING
-Credit Miller for recruiting some players that are more offensivey-oriented (Allen, Trier) to replace a few lottery pick defenders RHJ and Gordon 2 yrs ago. RHJ and Gordon are still massive shoes to fill but lets be honest they didn't have jumpshots that scared anybody and mostly relied on elite athleticism to score.
-Credit a shorter shot clock for forcing us to play more uptempo than in past seasons with the longer clock. We have great athletes that can run for the most part, a higher tempo game suits them. Trier and Allen are pretty damn solid on the fast break you know.

catgrad97 wrote:It's called the pack line, not straightforward man, moron.
It involves help recovery, and players are supposed to switch off screens, not defend whoever's closest. How long have you been watching this team?
And this is the second of two ridiculously stupid, reactionary posts by you today--thanks to your copy-and-paste approach to a non-point.
The point is having a kamikaze-pilot like dedication to one flavor of defense (out of dozens at our disposal) puts any team at a strategic disadvantage time and time again. This is something mediocre opposing coaches exploit very easily. Case in point: the last shot vs UCLA where our 7-footer must (according to the defensive scheme) leave the area of the court where he is naturally most effective (the paint) because his man is setting a high ball screen for that very reason. You know one way to completely eliminate the possibility of the 7-footer switching onto Bryce Alford out at the 3-point line? Keep his 7-foot ass in the paint where it belongs and let the guards and wings guard the perimeter. Oh no-no, that would require zone principles, which is outside our comfort zone. A box-1 would be one (of many) option(s). That would put extra attention on Alford since everyone in the entire western U.S. knew Alford was going to shoot a 3. Or did you not know that, moron.

No, do what we do. The players didn't try hard enough. The players are the worst defensively since ever! That doesn't seem like a very fair performance appraisal to me, but that's what we do, trash players and rarely take any responsibility for the coaches

Ever stop to think that when freak athlete defenders such as RHJ and Gordon are replaced with more offensively-oriented players like Trier and Allen that perhaps the same cookie-cutter defense might not suit the new group of players as well? Every think of molding the defense to what players you have to work with, instead of expecting Tollefson to be the new RHJ? (lol at that thought!)

Nah, can't be. Do what we do. Tollefson, you need to perform like RHJ did or we're just going to plain suck on defense. Sorry if you can't hack it, that's your problem. Not enough nastiness

Jordan Brownridge is single-handedly torching us for 44 points? Sorry Elliott, you didn't have enough nastiness and there's no way to help you out. Do what we do! FYI Brownridge's has only scored more than 30 points once since then....hmmmm
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There are issues with this team even prior to the rash of injuries we have had and the vast majority of this fanbase was more than aware of that. You blame Sean Miller for our losses, good for you, now get bent. Nothing worse than a tool that only shows up after something bad happens.

Seriously this guy is blaming a defense that is specifically designed for less athletic players to defend more athletic teams effectively as the reason we're losing. Hell I remember people chastising Miller for utilizing the pack line defense when he had such superior athletes like Rondae and Gordon, because it didn't fully utilize their strengths. I'm glad we've come full circle now. The team isn't playing the pack line effectively that's the real issue. Part of that falls on coaching of course, but if you think scheme is the issue then you're ridiculously unqualified to even have an opinion. Go ahead and Google pack line defense and do yourself a favor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sean Miller is definitely earning his salary this year. No doubt.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What an idiot
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:What an idiot
Idiots everywhere are taking great offense at your decision to classify them in the same category as RiseandFire... that is not fair to them.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Why are idiots on here pressing for us to play zone defense against arguably the two best outside shooting teams in the Pac (UCLA & USC)?

If our defensive scheme is so poor, then how come when our defense execution and intensity picked up in the second half of both games, we closed two double digit leads, on the road against two tournament quality opponents and gave ourselves a chance to win?

Hell, let's get rid of Miller now and not waste any more time. I hear Dave Rice is available.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Because you step over the screen and stay on your opponent, which is what Allen did most of the night. Tarc wasn't supposed to switch on to Alford but had no choice because Allen didn't stay on his assignment. That doesn't mean everyone is blaming Allen for the loss. It means he blew his defensive assignment on the last play and it was costly. It doesn't change the fact that he had a tremendous second half and played extremely well.

Here's a news flash for you, players make mistakes and sometimes don't get the job done. I suppose it was Lute's fault for Steve Kerr missing wide open shots against Oklahoma in '88. We're just a bunch of haters on this board when people fail.

Every time you hit the submit button on your posts, you make it more and more clear you don't know crap about basketball. But you're convinced you do.