Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I believe we are currently watching the ascendency of a dominant national Arizona program.

Good getting great.

Enjoy it. Bear Down. :)
If CSM lands JJ, I'll be ready to believe this.
Calm before the storm, BC...

Enjoy the masterpiece of a season SM is putting together, in spite of all thats gone on. Its beautiful story.

The arc is long with an largely positive trajectory. Its gonna be fun....
I agree. Given the injuries and roster changes, it's remarkable that he has us sitting at 16-3, with the losses all being incredibly close games that could've gone the other way.

Here's to getting a big road sweep this weekend! Bear Down and Beat the Bears!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thumbs up dude.

Bear Down.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

97cats wrote:300?
jinx
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So looks like the Internet wants to blame the loss on Miller going off on Zeus. Thoughts?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ChooChooCat wrote:So looks like the Internet wants to blame the loss on Miller going off on Zeus. Thoughts?
"this isn't tennis, this is basketball... there's accountability on both offense and defense"
az91

Post by az91 »

Hate to say it, but this season is turning into a dumpster fire.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nah.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:So looks like the Internet wants to blame the loss on Miller going off on Zeus. Thoughts?
That line of thought is BS. When your Coach, Father, Boss, Superior Officer, etc. is pissed at you, you are really stupid to keep talking back.....I can understand the initial exchange of defending his actions to CSM BUT when it was obvious CSM was royally pissed, Zeus (especially as a Senior leader) should have just shut up and taken it like a man.....CSM being right or wrong with his level of anger......Zeus should have known better.

and I'm a huge fan of Zeus.......
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Wimps
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Glad you guys have that take, i thought it was as asinine as you guys did, but wanted to get the POV of the board.

Anybody watch the presser by the way? Wow is all I can say.
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:Glad you guys have that take, i thought it was as asinine as you guys did, but wanted to get the POV of the board.

Anybody watch the presser by the way? Wow is all I can say.
I'm trying to watch it by refreshing my Arizona Wildcats YouTube subscription every few seconds but it's not there yet.....but dirtbags's synopsis in the Press Conf. thread above has me a bit worried.

Anyways, I have the utmost faith in CSM and his methodologies......I've been really concerned about the lack of mental toughness and Senior Leadership ever since the Gabe whiny Twitter rant post-Cal loss......really hope they step it up now or it'll get uglier very quickly!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Zeus knows better. Gabe should know better. Ryan had his hissy fits in southern california. Definitely want more from your seniors in terms of composure. Don't get me started on Tollefsen. My dad was in town and I took him to the game, and his mind was blown by Tollefsen. Worthless was probably the nicest adjective he used to describe him the whole night
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Not a good look.

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

calm the F down coach, going ape-shit over 1 freaking rebound. Embarrassing moment.

We outrebounded them - that wasn't the problem with the home loss to Oregon!! Try 44 pts in the paint for UO and our 19 TOs

Hint: Tollefson, Ristic and Tarc having to guard out at the perimeter is a recipe for enless blow-bys and the endless layup line. If only some brilliant basketball mind out there could devise a defensive scheme that keeps bigs anchored in the paint where they can use their size most effectively. Oh well!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

GD you are retarded.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

rgdeuce wrote:GD you are retarded.
GD you are a dipshit with nothing to express but endless Miller leg-humping.
Piss off, fanboy
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:GD you are retarded.
Who is 'GD'?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Tell me what defense you would run instead. In case you werent watching, those dudes who were putting it on the floor were also knocking down threes and mid range jumpers. I guess we could have glued Zeus and Ristic in the paint and left them wide open. And why would a 4 need to leave the paint either, after all, power forwards themselves all just stay on the low block and never step out to stretch the floor and knock down open jumpers. Or do you propose that magical 2-3 zone we throw out on occasion?

I got news for you, its tough for anyone to guard lengthy players who can hit from outside. Its even tougher when they can put the ball on the floor too. not even taking into account how most of our team cant stay on their feet on any pump fake, cant keep a turtle in front of them, cannot grasp help defense, have a guy out there for 30 minutes who cant guard my grandmother, etc. I guess Miller lost his magic touch this offseason, cuz this hasnt been a problem in a very long time.

But you have all the answers right. Maybe after you share with us, you can share with the other nine coaches of the top 50 RPI teams that Oregon has beaten so far this season
az91

Post by az91 »

dirtbags wrote:
"this isn't tennis, this is basketball... there's accountability on both offense and defense"
"We were a disaster."

I'm not sure I have ever seen Miller more upset at a press conference.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He looked defeated. That's something I thought I'd never see from him.

Saturday's game is going to be very interesting.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
az91

Post by az91 »

AZCatGirl wrote:He looked defeated. That's something I thought I'd never see from him.

Saturday's game is going to be very interesting.
Agreed. He didn't have one positive thing to say about anybody on the team.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

az91 wrote:Hate to say it, but this season is turning into a dumpster fire.
Disappointing and concerning? Probably. Dumpster fire? Wrong sport, wrong board. Tough to win the conference at this point. Something we take forgranted IN BASKETBALL.

As for Miller - Love the man, and that is not going to change anytime soon.. He's not perfect, no one is. His rant on Zeus was over the top in my view, though. But the man has eaxrned and deserves the benefit of the doubt and does not need a laundry list of excuses, Injuries, anyone?

As for Zeus Talking back... wise move? No. But I like seeing the fire - exactly what he has needed for 4 years, and we are seeing it on the floor.

This is our nadir, all is not lost - and there is reason for optimism about the future (recruiting?) that extends beond blind faith. Perspective, people... We are the best program in the P12, and regardless of what happens this season, that is not changing.

This is the sport where a little patience and understanding has been earned and is deserved.

#OnToTheNextOne

PS - Bummer that this happened with Rawle in the crowd... But this class will end up just fine.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That presser was hard to watch. And it says a lot. Effort, listening, doing what is expected,, togetherness, playing for the team and not yourself, etc. And you watch us play defense most nights, and especially how we have been playing it lately... Yeah, says a lot, makes complete sense actually.

Sometimes teams learn from lessons like this, sometimes teams dont. We will just have to see which of these this team chooses.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Harvey Specter wrote: As for Miller - Love the man, and that is not going to change anytime soon.. He's not perfect, no one is. His rant on Zeus was over the top in my view, though. But the man has eaxrned and deserves the benefit of the doubt and does not need a laundry list of excuses, Injuries, anyone?

As for Zeus Talking back... wise move? No. But I like seeing the fire - exactly what he has needed for 4 years, and we are seeing it on the floor.
the ass-chewing that kaleb got for his slip-up seemed undeserved, but we know now that it was the culmination of a lot of things from the team that's been pissing CSM off all season. zeus' blunder was the unfortunate incident that sent coach over the edge, and hence on the receiving end of Miller's explosion.

even walton, who never has anything bad to say about CSM, was taken back by it somewhat.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Zeus definitely seemed the victim of something that's been brewing for some time now with Miller and this team. Then again if Miller was going to do that to prove a point then Zeus or Gabe were the only guys he could've done that to that would've gotten the point across. That incident was not the turning point of the game nor was it the reason we lost and I wish people would stop suggesting that.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

We are not a very athletic team and Oregon is. In fact, we're one of the less athletic teams in the conference right now. A lot of that has to do with Trier and Ray Smith being out with injuries. If they're on the floor, we become a very athletic team that can guard well. We've got three undersized guards (Allen, York & PJC) on the perimeter and they're overmatched. And we have post players (Tarc & Ristic) who aren't athletic enough to step out and guard on the perimeter. That's a recipe for disaster and opposing coaches know that. Miller can only push so many buttons. The players have to push the "play your ass off on defense button because we've got match up problems."

On the other end of the floor, the turnovers are inexcusable. We continue to try post entry passes from above the FT line on the perimeter where the angle is tough. It's no surprise those passes get deflected or stolen. The ball needs to go down toward the baseline before that pass is made. Our guards need a geometry lesson and our bigs need some Lester Hayes "stick-um."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:That presser was hard to watch. And it says a lot. Effort, listening, doing what is expected,, togetherness, playing for the team and not yourself, etc. And you watch us play defense most nights, and especially how we have been playing it lately... Yeah, says a lot, makes complete sense actually.

Sometimes teams learn from lessons like this, sometimes teams dont. We will just have to see which of these this team chooses.
I imagine the defense has to be hard to deal with when you are a defense first coach. We have just been bad.

We had some of the laziest, dumbest entry passes into the post that I've ever seen. Terrible angles, looping the ball, post players not establishing strong positions, etc.

The thing with Zeus was because Zeus went back at him. That doesn't happen if Zeus just sits down. It didn't change the outcome, though. I really didn't think I'd see a team here get gashed like we are on D.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

carolinacat wrote:We are not a very athletic team and Oregon is. In fact, we're one of the less athletic teams in the conference right now. A lot of that has to do with Trier and Ray Smith being out with injuries. If they're on the floor, we become a very athletic team that can guard well. We've got three undersized guards (Allen, York & PJC) on the perimeter and they're overmatched. And we have post players (Tarc & Ristic) who aren't athletic enough to step out and guard on the perimeter. That's a recipe for disaster and opposing coaches know that. Miller can only push so many buttons. The players have to push the "play your ass off on defense button because we've got match up problems."

On the other end of the floor, the turnovers are inexcusable. We continue to try post entry passes from above the FT line on the perimeter where the angle is tough. It's no surprise those passes get deflected or stolen. The ball needs to go down toward the baseline before that pass is made. Our guards need a geometry lesson and our bigs need some Lester Hayes "stick-um."
Tarc isn't athletic enough to step out on the perimeter? If he's not, then who is? It's not exactly like the conference is full of Draymond Greens. Tarc is a wonderful pick and roll defender, and the number of centers who have rained threes on him over his career can be counted on two fingers.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think this team has reached a fork in the road.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:I think this team has reached a fork in the road.

I say take it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
carolinacat wrote:We are not a very athletic team and Oregon is. In fact, we're one of the less athletic teams in the conference right now. A lot of that has to do with Trier and Ray Smith being out with injuries. If they're on the floor, we become a very athletic team that can guard well. We've got three undersized guards (Allen, York & PJC) on the perimeter and they're overmatched. And we have post players (Tarc & Ristic) who aren't athletic enough to step out and guard on the perimeter. That's a recipe for disaster and opposing coaches know that. Miller can only push so many buttons. The players have to push the "play your ass off on defense button because we've got match up problems."

Tarc isn't athletic enough to step out on the perimeter? If he's not, then who is? It's not exactly like the conference is full of Draymond Greens. Tarc is a wonderful pick and roll defender, and the number of centers who have rained threes on him over his career can be counted on two fingers.
The defensive issue doesn't originate with the bigs. This is it in my opinion. We have a limited perimeter rotation and all the guys have limitations. York is smaller and not super quick. PJC is small and can get pushed around. Tollefsen is not well suited for quicker 3's. Simon is young and still not well versed in team D.

We got used to multiple perimeter stoppers at all times these last 2 years. KA/GY/MT is nowhere close to TJ/NJ/AG or TJ/RHJ/SJ. Ristic is a better defender than last year. Zeus is the same or better and Anderson is Ashley's equal. Our issue is on the perimeter.

It is compounded by absence. If we still had Trier and Pitts, we could compensate for individual issues with depth to an extent. Now, we are shorthanded with guys who have issues.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What minute mark did this all happen.

I was watching the game while on daddy duty and I know I missed a ton.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:

The defensive issue doesn't originate with the bigs. This is it in my opinion. We have a limited perimeter rotation and all the guys have limitations. York is smaller and not super quick. PJC is small and can get pushed around. Tollefsen is not well suited for quicker 3's. Simon is young and still not well versed in team D.

We got used to multiple perimeter stoppers at all times these last 2 years. KA/GY/MT is nowhere close to TJ/NJ/AG or TJ/RHJ/SJ. Ristic is a better defender than last year. Zeus is the same or better and Anderson is Ashley's equal. Our issue is on the perimeter.

It is compounded by absence. If we still had Trier and Pitts, we could compensate for individual issues with depth to an extent. Now, we are shorthanded with guys who have issues.
Also Anderson is not suited for defending an athletic 4. We just have a lot of issues defensively with our current eligible roster. In retrospect this is a very poorly put together team from the stand point of what Miller likes out of his players and his team. If Ray Smith and Trier were both healthy that would help mitigate the issue greatly.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Macho Grande wrote:Not a good look.

LOVE the fire from both of them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Choochoo, I didn't include Anderson bc I think his ability is similar to Ashley. Even when we were very good, stretch bigs gave us issues, and BA was never a dominant defender. I don't disagree that Anderson is better inside than the perimeter, but that is similar to what we had. The perimeter rotation is why we are not what we have been.

We could desperately use Trier and Pitts. Desperately.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

We should be applauding Miller's restraint last night tbh. He had to be so frustrated. Oregon was making some tough shots but jesus christ, nobody stayed in front of their man. It was a literal layup line. Horrible defensive display individually and as a team, for everyone. Then throw in the sloppy turnovers and ball handling on top. Very disappointing to end a beautiful home streak with a game like that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Only coaches checking out the "discussion", Chance and Simon not, and PJC just barely.

I'm OK with it, no physical contact, but grew up in a different era than many now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Only coaches checking out the "discussion", Chance and Simon not, and PJC just barely.

I'm OK with it, no physical contact, but grew up in a different era than many now.
Merkin, having played basketball myself and been in the position of Chance, Simon and the rest of the bench, that is NOT the point you want to make eye contact with your coach. That is when you develop an intense interest in whatever is going on in a 90 degree angle away from your coach.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Can anyone here imagine Lute getting in a player's face like that mid-game? I can't....

Walton was critical, too.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:Can anyone here imagine Lute getting in a player's face like that mid-game? I can't....

Walton was critical, too.
Not every coach is Lute Olson. Nor should they be.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Choochoo, I didn't include Anderson bc I think his ability is similar to Ashley. Even when we were very good, stretch bigs gave us issues, and BA was never a dominant defender. I don't disagree that Anderson is better inside than the perimeter, but that is similar to what we had. The perimeter rotation is why we are not what we have been.

We could desperately use Trier and Pitts. Desperately.
Yeah I agree that Ashley wasn't anything special, but he had one thing that helped him greatly that Anderson just does not have and that's a ridiculously long wingspan. That wingspan kept players who drive to the hoop honest more often than not. Anderson doesn't have the length nor the lateral ability to stay with guys. I agree the real factor though is the perimeter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Approves of CSM's actions, and also a HOF coach.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So it's official Pitts is done for the season?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

I would like to see even more fire out Miller. maybe next time he can slap Tarc in the face or hit him over the head with a folding chair?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:I would like to see even more fire out Miller. maybe next time he can slap Tarc in the face or hit him over the head with a folding chair?
I'd like to see you post your opinions under your usual handle.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:I would like to see even more fire out Miller. maybe next time he can slap Tarc in the face or hit him over the head with a folding chair?
GFY
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I just watched the presser and I was thinking of Norman Dale. I once saw a coach in person call a kid over that was dribbling the ball up the court, tell the kid to pass the coach the ball and then the coach say now go and play defense and then you will earn the right to go play offense. I get the feeling that Miller has had those same thoughts in his head for most of this season. It has to be absolutely killing him even when we win games 90 to 85.

Last night was just the icing on the cake with no defense, turnovers and then little hustle. I wouldn't want to be at practice today.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The video session is going to be very brutal. I imagine CSM won't hear a peep out of any players without being spoken to first.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:The video session is going to be very brutal. I imagine CSM won't hear a peep out of any players without being spoken to first.
Thats exactly how im viewing all of this. The alpha lion needed to remind everyone who the boss was. One challenged him and he had to take it even further.

I know everyone has different qualities they look for in a coach, and some prefer the Tony Dungy type to the yeller, but I think highly of coaches who will treat a Kobe the same way they treat a Shannon Brown, and a coach that has no problems reminding anyone who is in charge. Ive seen people elsewhere say he "lost the team" last night which I think is complete BS. His guys were straying away and he grabbed them by their throats (figuratively, no Bobby Knight) and pulled them back. If they want to listen and stay, great, if not, enjoy your free education and best wishes, and if you still have time left, maybe a jersey that doesnt say Arizona is better for you. If that means a season that doesnt end well, so be it.
az91

Post by az91 »

CalStateTempe wrote:So it's official Pitts is done for the season?
I have not seen an official source for this yet, but it would not be a surprise.