Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:Thats exactly what will happen LBD. Almost all players have these w their coaches at some point. And if you ask the player who their favorite coach is, a lot of them are going to be those coaches. I can guarantee TJ had these w CSM, ive seen him bark back at Brent Brown as a dispensable NBA rookie. ill spare everyone the details, but such is a case for me too and our last "convo" was something similar to this. I was a pussy at the time and transferred. A lesson was learned, ive never backed out of a big committment due to adversity since. I stopped by to say hi recently and ended up in his office for three hours and not once was any of that brought up. What the hell happens to Zeus in the business world when a superior or someone important addresses and issue or becomes demanding? "Relax." That will go over real well.

And this team is indeed a rollercoaster. That inconsistency is directly correlated with this team's defense. Scary how good this "transition year" team could be if they defended well
Well I doubt that he well get yelled and cursed at in front of the entire office unless he is embezzling company funds - Millenials don't take the same shit that older generations did. And if however he does respond is greeted with "Fuck you, motherfucker..." He probably ought to quit - and the boss who does it will likely be sent on a sabbatical and forced to participate in anger management therapy.

College sports and the professional business world are not the same thing. The lessons learned in the former can certainly be applied to the latter... but having a backbone and standing up for himself with serve Zeus well. I have had a few 'aggressive' bosses over the years, and the ONLY way to earn their respect was to stand up to them when challenged. Roll over and acquiesce - and you might as well get a headhunter on the phone immediately. They would think you were a pussy and steamroll you.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Wasnt insinuating hed get the Miller treatment. Let go, or pissing them off to be put in the doghouse to be shitted on for the rest of his time there, etc. Ive known plenty of people who gave a "relax" answer at the wrong time in the workplace who probably wish they hadn't.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

KaibabKat wrote:Speak loudly and carry a little stick.
Excellent!! Brevity is the soul of wit, and KK wraps it up in one short sentence.

Miller is a good coach, we all recognize that, however, he has shown once again he is no Lute Olson. Lute carried a big stick because he knew that to control others he first must first control himself. That is a lesson Miller has yet to learn. One would think Larry Scott's $25K fine for similar behavior would be lesson enough, but apparently not. Time to grow up, coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Speak loudly and carry a little stick.
Excellent!! Brevity is the soul of wit, and KK wraps it up in one short sentence.

Miller is a good coach, we all recognize that, however, he has shown once again he is no Lute Olson. Lute carried a big stick because he knew that to control others he first must first control himself. That is a lesson Miller has yet to learn. One would think Larry Scott's $25K fine for similar behavior would be lesson enough, but apparently not. Time to grow up, coach.
Oh boy, we're really wading in it now...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Miller is a good coach, we all recognize that, however, he has shown once again he is no Lute Olson. Lute carried a big stick because he knew that to control others he first must first control himself. That is a lesson Miller has yet to learn. One would think Larry Scott's $25K fine for similar behavior would be lesson enough, but apparently not. Time to grow up, coach.[/quote]

Oh boy, we're really wading in it now...[/quote]

Mike Stoops redux. Always counter productive.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Mike Stoops redux is maybe the worst take I've ever seen posted online in regards to Arizona basketball.

And that's saying something.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wow..so MrMeow has been personally offended by RR and Miller now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love CSM, Love the fire, really disrespectful to say "relax" to coach during a tight game.

That being said, a bit over the top on Miller's end, IMO. As a whole, not good to see as a fan of the program (kinda like when you parents are fighting when your young)

One question I have is, has Miller earned it? (the right to behave aggressively to players in that manner during a game) K has a notorious mouth, but one could argue he's earned that right-not that its justified, but that the behavior is acceptable because of the coach's track record. It was accepted with Knight at Indiana, until it wasn't at TTech as the results in his new position did not meet that of his prior.

I admit, this is likely a stupid question, but just thinking outside the box.

Here's to some understanding among all parties, a commitment to excellence, forgetting and forgiving, and moving on/bearing down for a win tonight.

rough year for AZBB.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It wasn't the teams finest moment and it wasn't CSM's finest moment either

I'm excited to see tonight's game. I expect a laser like focus from everyone
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

And the most overblown story of the year goes to.....
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Mike Stoops redux is maybe the worst take I've ever seen posted online in regards to Arizona basketball.

100% agree with you. That hot take was a cold turd.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We need the JJ commitment to happen soon so this thread can get back to singing CSM's praises.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:Mike Stoops redux is maybe the worst take I've ever seen posted online in regards to Arizona basketball.

100% agree with you. That hot take was a cold turd.
If there was a Shit Take Hall of Fame, "Mike Stoops Redux" would get its own wing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

This is the dumbest story ever. Anyone who works in high stress environments experiences blow ups. It isn't personal or malice, but a coach doing everything possible to get his players in line.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Word is, Kaleb said, "Relax" to Coach when he got pulled. That's what made Miller lose it. And with good reason.

It makes sense too. Zeus had played a quite good game up until that point. He played crap defense on that play and showed no effort & coach pulled him because of it. So if he says, "relax" there....I can kinda see both sides. Especially Miller's. I'd have lost it there too. Coach isn't paid to relax. In fact...the very reason Tarc was getting pulled is because he was too relaxed.
This. Don't relax. Don't tell the coach to relax. F'ing ever. Especially when the entire team is giving a "relaxed" effort on defense.

Less "relax" and more IN-FUCKING-TENSITY.

God we miss TJ.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Overblown story? Sure, probably. Is it a story? Yes, probably.

My opinion it's not the cursing out Tarczewski or the anger. It's the level of anger it got to. Saying "relax" to CSM not the smartest thing to do. But it's not the worst (not good, just not a "Shit, that was horrible disgusting so over the top thing Tarc said") thing to say to CSM either. Sure, get on Tarc, let him know who's the boss. Curse at him. But don't lose your handle on your emotions to where the assistants have to jump in a walk you away because they sensed it could get more out of hand. I assume this goes on more behind closed doors. Fine. But this was very public at a escalation level many not used to.

Look, if I saw Bobby Hurley doing the same, I would absolutely jump on Hurley for doing it. I mocked Hurley when he lost his temper and got kicked out of the AZ game couple weeks ago. No way I was going to defend Hurley and his temper. I'm sure ASU fans mocking CSM. Part of the rivalry.

Wasn't your normal CSM anger or frustration we're used to. This was different and many immediately thought it was different. Even Walton chimed in on it I think. Thus the story.

Many, many people online said right away that that was the most angered they've seen CSM. It was different to many. Story. National media picks it up, more story. That's what media does, manufacture drama. Again, story. Sure the players have thought about it. Sure other coaches thinking about it to negatively recruit against AZ with prospects.

All that noise Doesn't mean much. But I would bet it will be a long time before we see CSM approach a future situation to that level during a game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

kaleb should've been all
amirite
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Wasn't your normal CSM anger or frustration we're used to. This was different and many immediately thought it was different. Even Walton chimed in on it I think. Thus the story.
But this isn't different from how he's acted before. I'm not seeing how this is something out of the ordinary, or any different from how RichRod acts. It feels like people just want to blame our losses on Miller's anger, as if the players aren't playing as well because they're not used to being yelled at like this, when you know they've heard much worse behind closed doors.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

AZCatGirl wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Wasn't your normal CSM anger or frustration we're used to. This was different and many immediately thought it was different. Even Walton chimed in on it I think. Thus the story.
But this isn't different from how he's acted before. I'm not seeing how this is something out of the ordinary, or any different from how RichRod acts. It feels like people just want to blame our losses on Miller's anger, as if the players aren't playing as well because they're not used to being yelled at like this, when you know they've heard much worse behind closed doors.
I don't blame the episode for the loss... at all.

And while we know Miller is fiery, I would not say this was normal. He'll get pissed, yell something (Parrom), sit the player down, and it is over. That happens all the time.

This time... He kept going back to KT - and would not let it go. Granted, Kaleb's response is what escalated it, but it was still something different. And I am pretty sure I never remember Miller calling a player an MF. Ref under his breath or out of earshot - yes. Screamed directly at a player's face - No.
prh

Post by prh »

:lol: at salty implying Miller is not a leader. I can't believe this is even a story. You don't get to tell your coach to relax after making a mistake. Sports do not work like this, at any level. You gotta have a little fire to start a bonfire, let's see what this team is made of. All of us who have played sports have been part of something like this, and I've been on both teams that respond like champions and team that give up. I'd expect our players to respond like champions, and if they don't, then they don't deserve to wear "Arizona" across their chest.
Salty

Post by Salty »

prh wrote::lol: at salty implying Miller is not a leader. I can't believe this is even a story. You don't get to tell your coach to relax after making a mistake. Sports do not work like this, at any level. You gotta have a little fire to start a bonfire, let's see what this team is made of. All of us who have played sports have been part of something like this, and I've been on both teams that respond like champions and team that give up. I'd expect our players to respond like champions, and if they don't, then they don't deserve to wear "Arizona" across their chest.

This is pathetic.

Kaleb was out of line. But Miller's response was over the top. That wasn't coach trying to teach, encourage, or motivate his players, that was to belittle Tarc. You back the guy into a corner, and he's going to fight back.

Those of you making excuses for our coach's actions need to put down the rose colored glasses and realize that Sean Miller isn't above criticism.

The guy who is responsible for the players who wear "Arizona" across their chest is Seam Miller. His players are a direct representation of him, and if he can't control their behavior then that is his failure, nobody else's.

I hope coach can learn from his mistakes and move on.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:We need the JJ commitment to happen soon so this thread can get back to singing CSM's praises.
Think he (and other prospective recruits) is/are reading this?
Just asking.. :oops:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Haha, I almost forgot the lulz of one of Salty's sanctimonious anti-Miller posts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We need the JJ commitment to happen soon so this thread can get back to singing CSM's praises.

No idea. But if he commits to AZ, it's going to give this program a big time momentum boost. A FF would help too!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:

No idea. But if he commits to AZ, it's going to give this program a big time momentum boost. A FF would help too!
Ditto, no idea. If guessing, I'd say no. Who knows, just hope to see a great game tonight, with Miller smiling a lot.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:Haha, I almost forgot the lulz of one of Salty's sanctimonious anti-Miller posts.
I'm all about coach Miller. But he's not above criticism.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Larry Scott is laughing. Gets to say, I told you so. Time to grow up, coach.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MrMeow wrote:Larry Scott is laughing. Gets to say, I told you so. Time to grow up, coach.

I nominate this for worst post of the year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAEebs86 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Larry Scott is laughing. Gets to say, I told you so. Time to grow up, coach.

I nominate this for worst post of the year.
This post would have very stiff competition from Mr. Meow's other posts on this page of this thread.

I can't really say which is the worst of the worst of a decent sampling of cold, cold turds.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

84Cat wrote:
Thanks for these 84cat and AGAIN for those few who constantly bash Miller for this incident.....again, you don't talk back, especially in the heat of battle,work, etc. like a heated Bball game....you DON'T talk back to your Coach, Superior Officer, Boss, Father, etc. when they are royally pissed and yelling at you....that's just stupid and I bet both he and Zeus cleared this up afterwards.

All this 'CSM is a bully..' , 'not a leader...' , 'isn't caressing the butts of these Millenials....' talk is for wimps who just don't 'get it'......especially in this day and age of the spoiled HS/College athletes and their egos. Granted, CSM came within a hair of going too far (and I'd wager he knew it) with that last bit where the pic of him in Zeus's face..,...but damn....telling CSM to 'relax' or whatever Zeus said was just dumb (and I'll bet Zeus knows this as well).

We've all made mistakes, said dumb things, acted inappropriately....(and hopefully learned from them and the repercussions afterwards as a result) but I trust CSM and would certainly want him, his leadership skills, and passion over anyone else at the helm of our beloved Arizona Porgram.

Enough said. BTFD.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Loved the presser tonight when he basically said no f*cks (can i say that?) are given about the whole thing, or what anyones opinion or perception was about it. This whole thing is ridiculous IMO. I respect the hell out of several of you who have a differing opinion, but 90 percent of the people running with this elsewhere are the ones who cannot finish a sentence about Sean Miller without throwing "Lute" in it, and fans of other Pac 12 teams/nonconference teams who lost out on a recruit to Miller looking for anything to talk shit about the guy.

There was this uncomfortable/awkward feeling inside of McKale today. Part of it was the sting of Thursdays loss, part of it was our lackluster play early, but most of it felt like awkwardness from thursdays CSM/Zeus spat. Hard to describe. Like watching your parents beat the crap out of each other in front of you and then 20 minutes later sitting down w them at the dinner table. The fans were super supportive for both pregame withe louder than normal cheers, seemingly forced as if to let them both know they love them and arent taking sides. Thought that was cool regardless
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller looked happier in the presser. During the game, appeared okay with Zeus..all seems good again. Going forward, can't wait to see AT back on the court soon. 8-)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I am amused by the recent posts in this thread....I had lunch with my mom this weekend, who reminded me that when I was young my dad often coached my teams and basically used to yell at me for whatever the team did/did not do, because he knew I could take it and that he and I would still be good.

That's basically what Miller did with Kaleb the other night...move on.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not sure if my dad ever called me a motherf--ker, but he called me everything else, sometimes affectionately and sometimes when he was pissed. He left me alone when he coached me unless I did something really stupid, like get ejected from a game. Could havr handled it though, cuz he was intense at home
97cats

Post by 97cats »

not AYSO and no everyone doesnt get a trophy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This CSM/KT "incident" is getting a lot of attention, mainly negative. I don't really think this hurts JJ's recruitment, or recruiting in general, but it probably doesn't help.

Miller is who he is. If you're still on the fence about whether to embrace him as our coach, you're probably never going to be satisfied. He's got us right where Lute had us in terms of national prestige and status. No FF yet, but I don't consider that a blemish on his otherwise stellar resume.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I used to coach my son's teams when they were growing up. I was always yelling at the better players, even grabbed one by the arm one time for not listening to me. Once they reached junior high though I had to quit, hated the teen insolence.

Don't do it CSM! NBA players don't listen!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Not sure if my dad ever called me a motherf--ker, but he called me everything else, sometimes affectionately and sometimes when he was pissed. He left me alone when he coached me unless I did something really stupid, like get ejected from a game. Could havr handled it though, cuz he was intense at home
That would just be a weird insult for me to hear from my dad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I told my JV baseball coach to "take a chill pill" once. I honestly thought he was going to beat me to death with a fungo bat.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I told my JV baseball coach to "take a chill pill" once. I honestly thought he was going to beat me to death with a fungo bat.
Yeah, telling a pissed off coach to relax never goes well for a player. It's like trying to put a fire out with gasoline.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Not sure if my dad ever called me a motherf--ker, but he called me everything else, sometimes affectionately and sometimes when he was pissed. He left me alone when he coached me unless I did something really stupid, like get ejected from a game. Could havr handled it though, cuz he was intense at home
Oedipus Wrecks Mom.
Right where I want to be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:I told my JV baseball coach to "take a chill pill" once. I honestly thought he was going to beat me to death with a fungo bat.
LMAO :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I've never seen CSM as an NBA guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Oedipus Wrecks Mom.
"Yeah, well it takes one to know..."
gumby

Post by gumby »

Apologies for the liberal arts reference.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Image

Long as you paid for it yourself and didn't take any federal or state money.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:This CSM/KT "incident" is getting a lot of attention, mainly negative. I don't really think this hurts JJ's recruitment, or recruiting in general, but it probably doesn't help.

Miller is who he is. If you're still on the fence about whether to embrace him as our coach, you're probably never going to be satisfied. He's got us right where Lute had us in terms of national prestige and status. No FF yet, but I don't consider that a blemish on his otherwise stellar resume.
Absolutely no bearing on JJ or Rawle whatsoever. They have both seen it and experienced it over and over, and JJ knows he will see the same from Self and Izzo and his future NBA coaches. After you get the first one out of the way, those situations rarely have an effect on you other than reminding you what is expected and to get your shit together. You dont hear "motherf*cker" you hear the voice in your head sayin "oh sh*t, that pissed him off, better step it up."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Image
I never understood why Oedipus thought that was the best course of action to take vengeance on himself. I think there were other organs that failed him more dramatically.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Thats why friends thought my dad was the greatest dude ever. No filter on the mouth and a temper. I had to pull him off a Phillies fan at a Padres game a few years back, my dad was probably 58 and the kid was in his early 30s. :lol: My dad called me dick breath in front of my prom date; when I got my ear pierced (parents told me no, did it anyway) he told me I looked like a (homosexual slur) in front of my entire team; there was another time I was around 20, can't remember what I said, but I remember it was something mean that would dig into any father's soul, and he called me a "f*cking ungrateful cocksucker." Different times for sure.