Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catstatic

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by Catstatic »

Harvey Specter wrote:If Alkins ends up here I would perceive it to be more of a sign that Trier is leaving that that JJ isn't coming.

BTW... Lauri, Kobi, Rawle, and Josh would be (on paper) the best recruiting class in school history, and I am not sure that's even debatable.
Throw in Ray Smith finally getting to play and it would be almost embarrassing.

Go Cats!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Catstatic wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:If Alkins ends up here I would perceive it to be more of a sign that Trier is leaving that that JJ isn't coming.

BTW... Lauri, Kobi, Rawle, and Josh would be (on paper) the best recruiting class in school history, and I am not sure that's even debatable.
Throw in Ray Smith finally getting to play and it would be almost embarrassing.

Go Cats!!
Look, if we scored that, here's our hopeful depth chart:

PG-national juco POY/5 star frosh/4 star junior
SG-5 star soph/5 star frosh/4 star soph
SF-5 star frosh/5 star rs frosh
PF-5 star frosh/one of the SF 5 stars
C-7 foot NBA prospect/4 star soph
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

fwiw Alkins

57%

http://247sports.com/Player/Rawle-Alkins-35844" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That's for Alkins, not Jackson, HiCat.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Puerco wrote:That's for Alkins, not Jackson, HiCat.

Oooops, yeah, should have clarified it. Just edited post to include reference to right name. Figured the JJ discussion included RA's predictions earlier so thought it was relevant. (boomer moments) :lol:
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

JJ trending towards KU on 247. Anyone have an idea how accurate the crystal ball is?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

uacat540 wrote:JJ trending towards KU on 247. Anyone have an idea how accurate the crystal ball is?
It only resembles something remotely accurate shortly before a player's decision.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Crystal balls have never been wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

uacat540 wrote:JJ trending towards KU on 247. Anyone have an idea how accurate the crystal ball is?
Many of those predictors will look at something like a kid taking an official visit and immediately change their decision. It's not as if all of them have some insider in JJ's camp who is telling them that he's going to this school or that one. So really it's just their best guess. You or I could make a prediction and it would be worth about the same as most of those guys.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Crystal balls have never been wrong
Why can't warlocks have babies?

They have crystal balls.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Reiterating what others have already noted - it just seems like with Rawle Alkins interest in Arizona ramping up, 3-4 "analysts" have jumped on the Kansas bandwagon thinking in the last 3 days. Dunno if anything's substantively changed. (JJ playing cards close to vest thus far) 8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Reiterating what others have already noted - it just seems like with Rawle Alkins interest in Arizona ramping up, 3-4 "analysts" have jumped on the Kansas bandwagon thinking in the last 3 days. Dunno if anything's substantively changed. (JJ playing cards close to vest thus far) 8-)
That just seems odd. JJ is not in the same class as a player. He doesn't play the same position and is way better. Alkins/Trier, I get. Alkins and JJ affecting each other, I don't.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Evidently Bridges hasn't consulted the Crystal ball:

http://spartanavenue.com/2016/02/15/mil ... e-arizona/" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Exactamundo 8-)

Dead on the money.

“It’s either Michigan State or Arizona, I think,” Bridges said. “I think because he knows me and Cassius, then I hope he goes there. But if he goes to Arizona, he goes to Arizona.”

He added: “I’m trying to get him there [to Michigan State]. It would be a great team if he does come. Just whenever I see him at a tournament, I call him like every two weeks.”
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Michigan State Basketball: Recruiting Round-up (2/17/16)
By Matt McIntyre
Feb 17, 2016,

Jackson may be able to find more playing time somewhere else where he can showcase his talents more. There’s also the notion that Jackson doesn’t want to live somewhere with cold weather and that his mom doesn’t particularly want to move back to Michigan.

The Competition for Jackson

Right now the main competition for Jackson appears to be coming from Arizona and Kansas.

Arizona

One edge that Arizona has is that Sean Miller coached the USA U19 team that Jackson played on this past summer. I’m not sure where the article is but I do recall Jackson saying he appreciated that Miller did not try to recruit him and it was all about business for him. Arizona’s roster on the perimeter looks like this (year and 247Sports composite ranking in parentheses):

PG – 5’11" Parker Jackson-Cartwright (JR, 51), 6’3" Kadeem Allen (JR, JuCo combo guard)

SG – 6’6" Allonzo Trier (SO, 13), 6’5" Kobi Simmons (FR, 20 combo guard)

SF – 6’7" Ray Smith (RsFR, 20)

They’re also trying to add 6’5" wing Rawle Alkins (#21) to their 2016 class which would give them a very talented perimeter with a lot of options. They also add that to a couple solid upperclassmen in 7’0" junior Dusan Ristic and 6’11" sophomore Chance Comanche (who’s a bit raw right now). Adding to that frontcourt is a 2016 recruit in 6’11" international player Lauri Markkanen who is ranked in the top 20 by 247Sports and is receiving enough attention that he’s the projected #24 pick in the 2017 draft by DraftExpress.

While Arizona will have a very talented team, if Alkins ultimately decides on Arizona it might just be a bit too crowded on the wing for Jackson if he wants to play a lot. With how talented he is, he might have a good chance of playing the most minutes of any of the wings but he would still be limited in how many minutes he ultimately plays with that many high-level players on the team.

Kansas

Kansas will have more proven players on its perimeter than Arizona and MSU in 2016-17

http://www.theonlycolors.com/2016/2/17/ ... up-2-17-16" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

perfect fit
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:Evidently Bridges hasn't consulted the Crystal ball:

http://spartanavenue.com/2016/02/15/mil ... e-arizona/" target="_blank
Jeebus, Fansided is garbage.
Some believe that these guys can bring Izzo his first national title since 2000, and that’s not wishful thinking, it’s actually very likely.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

They don't believe Kansas is in the mix?
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:perfect fit
Sounds good to me...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sure sounds like (via the writer) MSU is not as optimistic? (link above)

However, MSU is in the position where it may just have too much depth as it’s at the point where they have a good amount of high-level recruits who need playing time.

Jackson may be able to find more playing time somewhere else where he can showcase his talents more.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The consensus #1 ranked player is concerned about playing time? One thing JJ doesn't lack is confidence.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:The consensus #1 ranked player is concerned about playing time? One thing JJ doesn't lack is confidence.
Yeah, I don't think he has a reason to sweat Alkins's decision.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

HiCat wrote:Michigan State Basketball: Recruiting Round-up (2/17/16)
By Matt McIntyre
Feb 17, 2016,

Jackson may be able to find more playing time somewhere else where he can showcase his talents more. There’s also the notion that Jackson doesn’t want to live somewhere with cold weather and that his mom doesn’t particularly want to move back to Michigan.

The Competition for Jackson

Right now the main competition for Jackson appears to be coming from Arizona and Kansas.

Arizona

One edge that Arizona has is that Sean Miller coached the USA U19 team that Jackson played on this past summer. I’m not sure where the article is but I do recall Jackson saying he appreciated that Miller did not try to recruit him and it was all about business for him. Arizona’s roster on the perimeter looks like this (year and 247Sports composite ranking in parentheses):

PG – 5’11" Parker Jackson-Cartwright (JR, 51), 6’3" Kadeem Allen (JR, JuCo combo guard)

SG – 6’6" Allonzo Trier (SO, 13), 6’5" Kobi Simmons (FR, 20 combo guard)

SF – 6’7" Ray Smith (RsFR, 20)

They’re also trying to add 6’5" wing Rawle Alkins (#21) to their 2016 class which would give them a very talented perimeter with a lot of options. They also add that to a couple solid upperclassmen in 7’0" junior Dusan Ristic and 6’11" sophomore Chance Comanche (who’s a bit raw right now). Adding to that frontcourt is a 2016 recruit in 6’11" international player Lauri Markkanen who is ranked in the top 20 by 247Sports and is receiving enough attention that he’s the projected #24 pick in the 2017 draft by DraftExpress.

While Arizona will have a very talented team, if Alkins ultimately decides on Arizona it might just be a bit too crowded on the wing for Jackson if he wants to play a lot. With how talented he is, he might have a good chance of playing the most minutes of any of the wings but he would still be limited in how many minutes he ultimately plays with that many high-level players on the team.

Kansas

Kansas will have more proven players on its perimeter than Arizona and MSU in 2016-17

http://www.theonlycolors.com/2016/2/17/ ... up-2-17-16" target="_blank
Nice write-up--except Kadeem will be a senior next year and Josh Jackson will have as many minutes as he wants on that team.

This whole notion that an elite recruit will just naturally have his minutes crowded out by other elite recruits is a fallacious assumption made by writers who have been watching John Calipari too long.

Other recruits who come to Arizona have to understand they'll be fighting for playing time behind a recruit like Josh Jackson, and not any other way around.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KA
AT
JJ
RS
DR

And if AT leaves, which is looking more likely:

KA
PJC/KS/RA
JJ
RS
DR

We're going to be very, very good next season.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

BC97? LM >/= RS/DR
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No promise that Trier will be back either.

There’s also the notion that Jackson doesn’t want to live somewhere with cold weather

I left Michigan in 1976 after spending my first 18 years there. I'm not moving back either.

The older you get, the less and less you can tolerate cold weather*.

*- For most people, Longhorned excepted.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:BC97? LM >/= RS/DR
No way LM starts over a junior DR. And no idea about RS. I'm basing this on him being 100% and performing at the level he was expected to. You're right: LM and RS will compete for minutes next season. I think that's a good thing.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ray's probably coming off the bench to start the season
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:ray's probably coming off the bench to start the season
Because of the injury? I would understand that, but it's also a long time till the start of next season. He could be 100% by November, if not sooner.

The LM/RS question is less of a concern for me than Trier's status. Really want AT to come back. He's a terrific player and teammate.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Main Event wrote:ray's probably coming off the bench to start the season
Because of the injury? I would understand that, but it's also a long time till the start of next season. He could be 100% by November, if not sooner.
Two extremely important developmental years off of competitive basketball is hard for anyone to overcome regardless of health. If he is able to come in without playing competitively for two years and start on our projected '16-'17 team, he may have been destined to be the best player ever at UoA pre injury.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He hasn't played a competitive game in 2 years, need to ease him in and we should have the horses to be able to do that. He'll be on the court at the end of the game and that's what matters
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

These guys don't forget how to play basketball when they're injured, even for an extended period. He's got a lot of months to recuperate and get his flow back.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:These guys don't forget how to play basketball when they're injured, even for an extended period. He's got a lot of months to recuperate and get his flow back.
LOL no way man. Remember when Michael Jordan stepped away from the game to play baseball and returned? There was no injury, and I promise you he was still working out, playing pickup games, and shooting in the gym. And that's the greatest player of all time. I also played high school ball with a kid who missed a year due to injury. He came back and he only played mop up minutes. Next year later, he was the third best player on essentially the same team. Two years is a lot of rust to shake off. He will be able to get by in the meantime, but the offense will be somewhat limited and one dimensional for a while. And it's not just shooting either, it's other skills (eg ball handling), plus him being tentative physically.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:These guys don't forget how to play basketball when they're injured, even for an extended period. He's got a lot of months to recuperate and get his flow back.
I'd assume you never played basketball and had to return from a serious injury. I have, and it isn't a matter of forgetting how to play.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
Sounds good to me...

No jinx comment here..just calling it like I see it (fwiw).

Seems like 247 numbers a bit low (JJ to Arizona) now. With all the noise
and smoke, I'm guessing JJ to Arizona should be closer to 58-60% now.

Just saying.. 8-)

But then Izzo is still pitching

http://spartanavenue.com/2016/02/19/tom ... alifornia/" target="_blank

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf ... s_two.html" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I sorta wonder if at some point we're gonna hear "[insert school's name] is no longer recruiting Josh Jackson." This is how it went with Kobi Simmons, and we could see something similar with JJ. Are Izzo and Self and Miller gonna keep chasing this guy right up until the end? Or are they gonna ask JJ to level with them?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Izzo was in Cali this past weekend watching Jackson, so no doubt still think they are in the mix. You can't stop recruiting the #1 player.

Pretty impressive dunk although I imagine his coach was not pleased.

Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Just my guess (& no offense to KS) but I can't see any school dropping out until the announcement on Jackson. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say, "zero chance" but I have to imagine it's close to it?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Gonna be some very broken hearts when JJ decides.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Dear Josh,

We all would like to invite you to attend The University of Arizona. There are a few very attractive ladies who feel the same:

http://youtu.be/W8fFdZ5-KRw
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Anything interesting? I can't get that to download over here for some reason...3rd world issues....Man, I really hope we land that STUD!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Anything interesting? I can't get that to download over here for some reason...3rd world issues....Man, I really hope we land that STUD!

Josh Jackson's high school basketball experience isn't like most.

Instead of playing with his hometown friends, Jackson and his mother decided it would be best for him to move from Detroit, Mich. to Napa to further his education and basketball career.

But why Napa of all places?

The move, though unorthodox and not easy, was simple. Jackson would attend Justin Siena High School and play for Prolific Prep, a college-preparatory basketball academy for serious student athletes.

Flying across country for his final high school basketball season was the right choice, but definitely a hard one, Jackson told CSN Bay Area's Mindi Bach in an exclusive interview on an episode of "SportsTalk Live."

"Yes, it was very difficult for me," Jackson said. "Coming into it in the beginning I wasn't too sure about coming out here and playing and leaving home."

Jackson, 6-foot-8, 195 pounds, is listed as the No. 1 recruit in the 2016 class by Rivals of Yahoo! Sports and No. 3 in ESPN's rankings. He plays both small forward and shooting guard with the length of a big and skills of a guard.

"I don't really regret anything," Jackson said on moving to Napa. "I actually love that we made this decision for me to come out here."

The real question now is, where will Jackson play his college ball at? With coaches itching to get an answer out of the 19-year-old, Jackson didn't reveal his final decision, but did say who is still in the running.

"Michigan State, Arizona and Kansas," Jackson says are the only ones left in the race. He has officially visited both Arizona and Kansas.

This Saturday is Senior Night for Jackson and two others. Like himself, they too have a unique journey in high school basketball and had to put their egos at the door.

"Not just the seniors, but every guy on the team, we all come from different places and none of us are from Napa, but we all just came together and formed this team," Jackson said on his bond with his teammates.

"Looking at it, it's a real beautiful thing. We all came together to do something amazing, and playing together and win as many games as possible and become a family at the same time. It's real fun, I have a lot of fun with those guys."

Jackson is one of five finalists for the Naismith Trophy Boys High School Player of the Year. The winner will be announced March 10.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Thank you HiCat! BTFD and let's beat some Utes per the usual :-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JJ has three outstanding options. He'll shine wherever he goes. But a little brighter in Tucson.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Decision in a month?

Come on down to Tucson kid! You already know Coach Miller's style is perfect for your game. Oh yeah, the weather, and the campus vibe is very cool. 8-)

Jackson, the nation’s No. 1 prospect according the 247Sports.com composite rankings, also said he hopes to make his decision in about a month. Originally from Detroit, he moved to California before his junior year to attend and play for Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /81049872/" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Main Event wrote:

Awesome! Very cool.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »