Pac-12 game thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: Pac-12 game thread

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:With the win over Utah, the conference is Oregon's unless some like 3-4 collapse to finish happens.
RichardCranium wrote:Arizona SHOULD win out.
Oregon has a couple of tough games they could lose.
USC has at least 2 more losses.
Washington will be lucky to win 3 of four - they're out as far as I'm concerned.

There could easily be a three way tie at the top, with Oregon owning the tie breaker over Arizona (and probably USC).
the conf title could come down to O @ usc on the last weekend of the reg season. i can't believe i just typed that. but SC's got tough games at McKale, maples, and haas coming up; and no way does oregon make it out of the state of california unscathed, plus they've got uw who might be fighting to get off the bubble by then. we'll def need an assist or two from cal / 'furd and 'tah along the way.

also, i fully expect either ucla or cal to make a run in the pac-12 tourney and punch their ticket, just because it's been that kind of season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If AZ were in 1st place, I think RA would get this award. We're not, so sorta think it's Brooks' to lose.

I agree that the best player on the best team should win it and that is why TJ was POY last year. Oh wait :o
Good point. I'd actually forgotten that TJ didn't win it. Not sure how that happened.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dirtbags wrote:
the conf title could come down to O @ usc on the last weekend of the reg season. i can't believe i just typed that. but SC's got tough games at McKale, maples, and haas coming up; and no way does oregon make it out of the state of california unscathed, plus they've got uw who might be fighting to get off the bubble by then. we'll def need an assist or two from cal / 'furd and 'tah along the way.

also, i fully expect either ucla or cal to make a run in the pac-12 tourney and punch their ticket, just because it's been that kind of season.
OR is going to lose at least one more reg season game, not sure they'll lose two. Not sure we can sweep the Utah/Colorado road trip, though, so maybe we're looking at locking up 2nd place, which isn't the end of the world given the injuries we've overcome this year. It would be nice to stay in the West region as we have recently, but it's looking like only the Pac champ might get that luxury.

And yeah, totally agree about UCLA and Cal. My money would be on Cal, but who knows?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

By the way, did you know AZ has won more Pac POY awards than any other team? How many POYs can you name? There are 8 total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:By the way, did you know AZ has won more Pac POY awards than any other team? How many POYs can you name? There are 8 total.
Only 7 but 1 won twice.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:By the way, did you know AZ has won more Pac POY awards than any other team? How many POYs can you name? There are 8 total.
Only 7 but 1 won twice.
Right, Elliott. How about those other 7, without looking them up?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Only 7 but 1 won twice.
I got 5 before looking them up. Looking at the recent winners shows how weak the pac has been.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Only 7 but 1 won twice.
I got 5 before looking them up. Looking at the recent winners shows how weak the pac has been.
Yes, but there've been some very talented Pac players who didn't win this award: Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson, TJ McConnell, RHJ, Spencer Dinwiddie, Zach Lavine...all of these guys who won were deserving, but if they didn't do much after college, it makes it seem perhaps that the league was even weaker.
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dirtbags wrote:

OR is going to lose at least one more reg season game, not sure they'll lose two. Not sure we can sweep the Utah/Colorado road trip, though, so maybe we're looking at locking up 2nd place, which isn't the end of the world given the injuries we've overcome this year. It would be nice to stay in the West region as we have recently, but it's looking like only the Pac champ might get that luxury.

And yeah, totally agree about UCLA and Cal. My money would be on Cal, but who knows?
I agree on OR. I also think they are going to be a very tough out in the NCAA tournament.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Last night's Utah-Washington game was the definition of a bubble burster. Well, probably a little too early for that, but definitely a game where two teams are shoulder for position in the kinda-sorta conference upper tier.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

We probably need Oregon to lose tonight to Cal to keep us seriously in the PAC race.

A win for Oregon tonight and there probably just aren't enough legitimate chances for losses left on their schedule for us to catch them.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Do us a favor Cal
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:Do us a favor Cal

5 minutes into the game Cal's on pace to score about 140 :lol:

Go Cal! We need this one!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Cals up 27-9 already
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Cal looks like they have the possibility of pulling an Arizona at 33-16. They need to finish the half strong.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

With Wallace back, Cal will be tough.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Jaylen Brown looks like a legit top 10 pick. He seems like he'll have the chance to be a very good pro.

Brown is listed at about 5 in next year's draft and Rabb is listed around 10. Almost every time I've seen these two players play, that dichotomy has confused/amazed me. Brown is legit and I can understand. Rabb at 10 area feels like he has the chance to significantly disappoint his NBA team.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

SCCats wrote:Jaylen Brown looks like a legit top 10 pick. He seems like he'll have the chance to be a very good pro.

Brown is listed at about 5 in next year's draft and Rabb is listed around 10. Almost every time I've seen these two players play, that dichotomy has confused/amazed me. Brown is legit and I can understand. Rabb at 10 area feels like he has the chance to significantly disappoint his NBA team.
Rabb has no business going pro.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

there's no place like home, eh cal?

hold that lead, please!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Frybry02 wrote:
SCCats wrote:Jaylen Brown looks like a legit top 10 pick. He seems like he'll have the chance to be a very good pro.

I'm almost always the one that says a person should stay in school, but in this case I might say if Rabb is basically guaranteed to go in the lottery he should probably go. I think if he stayed he would basically just get exposed for being a typical power forward and after two years, three years etc. he would significantly drop down draft boards.

So usually I'm all about staying in school for a year longer than you need to, but in Rabb's case it might be the best to get drafted right away and see if you can home your game in the D league (which is where I think he might end up pretty quick).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU USC basically a pick em game. Wouldn't have thought that.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Man we needed this tonight!

Nice work Cal.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Never thought I'd enjoy watching Cal win this much. Oregon looked like they didn't care.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

SCCats wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

I'm almost always the one that says a person should stay in school, but in this case I might say if Rabb is basically guaranteed to go in the lottery he should probably go. I think if he stayed he would basically just get exposed for being a typical power forward and after two years, three years etc. he would significantly drop down draft boards.

So usually I'm all about staying in school for a year longer than you need to, but in Rabb's case it might be the best to get drafted right away and see if you can home your game in the D league (which is where I think he might end up pretty quick).
Don't blame him at all if he is guaranteed lottery and cashes a big pay check. But NBA PFs will eat him up.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Frybry02 wrote:Don't blame him at all if he is guaranteed lottery and cashes a big pay check. But NBA PFs will eat him up.
Agree 100%. He'll be in the D league in short order (imo). After a year or two of that, who knows what happens.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Rabb is going to be exposed to competent coaching at Cal, he should stay there one more year and work on getting stronger.

If not...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Did Oregon just collapse under the weight of expectations? Cal dominated from the tip
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:If Rabb is going to be exposed to competent coaching at Cal, he should stay there one more year and work on getting stronger.

If not...
So you're saying Rabb should declare. Got it. :lol:
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:ASSU USC basically a pick em game. Wouldn't have thought that.
Go to Vegas and put $$$ on USC.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

az91 wrote:

I have a local book so I am good. Bets like this, that look to good to be true, often are. I think ASSU matches up pretty well with SC and SC might get caught looking ahead to Sunday.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:
az91 wrote:

I have a local book so I am good. Bets like this, that look to good to be true, often are not. I think ASSU matches up pretty well with SC and SC might get caught looking ahead to Sunday.
I'm glad you didn't take my advice. I'm also happy to be wrong in this case.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Let's hope for a miracle and Stanford beats Oregon.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Lets go Furd!
Zero

Post by Zero »

Choking this away.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Wooooo! Well that helps.
az91

Post by az91 »

Down go the Ducks!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good job Furd. Now it's up to us to tie it!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're in there fellas

gumby

Post by gumby »

Brooks hammered. No call. Whew! Oregon still has the Bay Area hex.
Right where I want to be.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Zero wrote:Choking this away.
I thought for sure that furd was going to lose. Missed ft's, to's on the press. They were lucky that Brooks didn't score on the last 2 possessions.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

TREES!!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Thank you Stanford!

Tomorrow's game will be amazing.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What happened to Oregon? Destroyed by Cal and then losing to a mediocre team like Stanford. Maybe we should play more zone the next time we play them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Expectations got really high for the ducks and they got crushed under the pressure. FF talk, #1 in RPI and SOS and talk of a 2 seed in the tourney then bam, they fold like a chair.

A little tougher when you are the hunted. Those young ducks looked spooked
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Reminds me of Utah last year. They couldn't handle the pressure of being the hunted team.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so if you're a ducks fan, who do you cheer for tomorrow: us or usc?

i'm guessing Arizona, since sc will drop at least one in the bay area before oregon makes the trip down to the LA schools? i don't know.

the conference race sure is exciting this year!
az91

Post by az91 »

Rado blew a chance to steal one at USC.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Weren't we rooting for USC there anyway? Colorado was 8-5 and USC 7-5. We only have the one game with Colorado so we wanted them to lose a game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Weren't we rooting for USC there anyway? Colorado was 8-5 and USC 7-5. We only have the one game with Colorado so we wanted them to lose a game.
We will get Colorados best next week. I hope we're ready for it!