Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Salty wrote:It hasn't been easy to defend coach this year.

Comments like that don't help.
I disagree with you very strongly.....I think CSM has done a hell of a job in a frustrating year. I supported his actions and passion 100% with the Zeus reprimand......won't go into re-debating that topic yet again.

I also support him on the court storming issue as well.....although I would have preferred him to have implied the possible player reaction a bit more than the very direct 'someday an Arizona player is going to punch someone.....'.

He could have been more tactful but in this day and age of every word being scrutinized and commented upon by Internet warriors and idiot 'reporters/commentators' trying to make a name, unless you're a POS politician, you're going to make someone butt-hurt at some point. Am so disgusted at how the US has become so 'politically correct' and how corrupt a lot of the media has become.....it really is a 'gotcha!' game to many.

BUT, if he had been more tactful, would anyone have heard???? Surely not that Dbag of a P12 Commish! I think CSM is 100% right to point this out.....at some point, one of those kids rushing the court is going to push one of our players too far and they will react....THEN, that player is going to be thrown to the wolves....good for CSM to have at least called this out and warned the league ahead of times. I don't recall how many times in the previous court stormings that he has made this warning? Ever? Something must have alarmed him at CU.

At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect and admiration for CSM. I love his passion, intensity, and class. He's a real leader, great Coach and we are damned fortunate to have him at the helm.....someday we will miss him greatly. If he has to 'go Postal' in response to an idiotic 'and disrespectful comment by a Senior Leader of the team, or make an alarming prediction of the inherent risks to allowing pumped up, out of control knucklehead kids to storm the court and taunt our players (not all, but certainly not a few) then so be it.

This BS whining about CSM and not being able to defend him really wants to make me puke. No offense intended Salty, but I couldn't disagree with you more on this topic.

BTFD, stop trying to undermine CSM and grow a pair. We ARE Arizona!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Salty, instead of whining why don't you suggest how Miller should have reacted to the CU postgame? I don't blame him. He's worried about the safety and reputation of his players. There's no way that CU should have the arena set up the way it does.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Salty

Post by Salty »

Puerco wrote:Salty, instead of whining why don't you suggest how Miller should have reacted to the CU postgame? I don't blame him. He's worried about the safety and reputation of his players. There's no way that CU should have the arena set up the way it does.
He should not have used Arizona players punching fans as an example to why court storming is stupid.

Honestly... What is the conference going to do? Force a program to forfeit a victory in the event of a court storming? Put a wire cage around the court? Hire 200 cops to arrest fans who rush the court?

It's an unfortunate reality of college basketball and it happens to any program that's highly ranked. UNC would be no different.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This is why it doesn't happen to Kentucky. Has been a rule in the SEC since 2004:

SEC fines South Carolina 25K for court storm after Kentucky game

The SEC has fined the University of South Carolina $25,000 in accordance with league policy after fans rushed the floor Saturday following the Gamecocks' 72-67 home victory against No. 17 Kentucky.

Dating back to December 2004, the SEC remains the only conference in college basketball with a tiered fining system in place for its schools that break protocol against court storming.

According to the SEC, "The policy states that 'access to competition areas shall be limited to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel and properly-credentialed individuals at all times. For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy.'"

A first-time violation is $5,000, with a second breaking of the rule upping to $25,000 and a third/all ensuing offenses equaling a $50,000 punishment against the school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... tucky-game" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

84Cat wrote:This is why it doesn't happen to Kentucky. Has been a rule in the SEC since 2004:

SEC fines South Carolina 25K for court storm after Kentucky game

The SEC has fined the University of South Carolina $25,000 in accordance with league policy after fans rushed the floor Saturday following the Gamecocks' 72-67 home victory against No. 17 Kentucky.

Dating back to December 2004, the SEC remains the only conference in college basketball with a tiered fining system in place for its schools that break protocol against court storming.

According to the SEC, "The policy states that 'access to competition areas shall be limited to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel and properly-credentialed individuals at all times. For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy.'"

A first-time violation is $5,000, with a second breaking of the rule upping to $25,000 and a third/all ensuing offenses equaling a $50,000 punishment against the school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... tucky-game" target="_blank
Good one 84Cat, thanks.....I bet if you made the fine payable directly to the opposing teams AD budget, that would make it even more effective ;-)......and yes Salty, ever heard of Security? You don't necessarily need to hire a ton of extra-security but actually have the existing ones there 'try' to actually prevent the storming rather than 'expect' it and thus 'condone' it by that attitude.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Good one 84Cat, thanks.....I bet if you made the fine payable directly to the opposing teams AD budget, that would make it even more effective ;-)......and yes Salty, ever heard of Security? You don't necessarily need to hire a ton of extra-security but actually have the existing ones there 'try' to actually prevent the storming rather than 'expect' it and thus 'condone' it by that attitude.

Good one yourself BK!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And yet, Salty, multiple coaches from blue blood programs have been publicly vocal about it. I'm sure its pretty easy to prevent if you are proactive about it. Extra security, notice to the fans that it wont be tolerated, that rushing the floor before the agreed upon breathing time will result in arrest, prosecution and fines.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller talks upcoming Pac-12 tournament

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-mi ... 1f75b.html" target="_blank
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If you haven't listened to the presser from this week, do so.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

I've been to most home games in the Sean Miller era and I have never seen him as pumped up as he was tonight as the game was decided. He was gesturing to the crowd after Zues was fouled with .7 left and after it was over he went over to the other side of the court clapping and waving his arms to the crowd. He really wanted this one.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... tery-picks
Could Arizona lose during the first weekend of the NCAA tournament? Sure. Are the Wildcats on the lengthy list of teams that could heat up and earn a trip to Houston? Yep.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"Yet Arizona is still a perplexing matchup for any opponent it will see in the coming weeks. Arizona soars when it all comes together -- if it all comes together.

But let’s be honest. Miller is the only reason this team never fell apart."

Bottom line.
Bangkok Wildcat

Miller is as STUD and I truly believe a worthy heir to HOF Coach Lute Olsen.......BTFD.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

baconus66 wrote:I've been to most home games in the Sean Miller era and I have never seen him as pumped up as he was tonight as the game was decided. He was gesturing to the crowd after Zues was fouled with .7 left and after it was over he went over to the other side of the court clapping and waving his arms to the crowd. He really wanted this one.
Was just logging on to post this. He was pumped. McKale was electric(!) when Gabe hit the go ahead shot, and for the final 12 seconds out of that Cal timeout it was so deafening you almost knew Cal was not going to get a bucket. And then when Zeus sealed it with the rebound it was make your ears bleed loud. But God was Miller pumped. I think he was not only thanking us, but also sharing that moment with all of us because he fully grasped the crowd was out on the court helping defend those last 12 seconds. And another thing I thought was pretty cool was how quickly he got on Twitter after the game to acknowledge and thank the crowd. Can't remember exactly how quick it was, but it was almost like I pulled out his phone walking through the tunnel to send that tweet.

That was a huge win on so many levels. Is it the momentum shift and confidence boost we needed going into March? We'll see. But I truly believe if we lose that game, that is three straight losses and just another loss in the pile of close games we didn't pull out. Think the damage there would have been huge. Plus that's three straight losses, and we are playing in the opening round of the conference tournament. When we were down 8 with a minute and something left, I felt in my gut the season was dying. Like a dog that had been fighting a whole year and you see something where you know there is no fight left and its days are numbered. Plus, you cant let some new kid come to town, steal your top 10 prospect from your grasp and then sweep you for the season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Miller is as STUD and I truly believe a worthy heir to HOF Coach Lute Olsen.......BTFD.

BK, really? Olsen?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... tery-picks
Could Arizona lose during the first weekend of the NCAA tournament? Sure. Are the Wildcats on the lengthy list of teams that could heat up and earn a trip to Houston? Yep.
ESPN needs to stop stealing my content. This is pretty dead on, though. Every game we might win, we might lose.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yeah, coach was so animated last night. He wanted a T so bad when Trier drove the lane and got hacked. My friends were like coach should be getting a t right here. Then when Gabe was hitting those shots he was waving his arms up and down like the biggest homer fan. Fun night to be at the game for sure.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote: When we were down 8 with a minute and something left, I felt in my gut the season was dying. Like a dog that had been fighting a whole year and you see something where you know there is no fight left and its days are numbered.
Felt the exact same way RG. I remember after the Wallace layup, when they showed CSM kneeled on the sideline with a distraught look on his face, feeling like the season was slipping away. Even thought to myself "there goes our streak of not having lost by double digits" because right then and there it felt like we would undoubtedly miss on our next possession and foul and they would start pulling away.

Just an incredible turnaround and, for seeding purposes, a "much easier to advance to the second weekend" win IMO
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: When we were down 8 with a minute and something left, I felt in my gut the season was dying. Like a dog that had been fighting a whole year and you see something where you know there is no fight left and its days are numbered.
Felt the exact same way RG. I remember after the Wallace layup, when they showed CSM kneeled on the sideline with a distraught look on his face, feeling like the season was slipping away. Even thought to myself "there goes our streak of not having lost by double digits" because right then and there it felt like we would undoubtedly miss on our next possession and foul and they would start pulling away.

Just an incredible turnaround and, for seeding purposes, a "much easier to advance to the second weekend" win IMO
This season has involved a lot of putting it into the fire, then pulling it out of the fire when things look grim.

We could be the 97 team. We could be the 2006 team.
Bangkok Wildcat

Merkin wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Miller is as STUD and I truly believe a worthy heir to HOF Coach Lute Olsen.......BTFD.

BK, really? Olsen?
How embarrassing! I want to blame my iPad for that but not sure what happened.....thanks for catching that Merkin ;-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We went 16-2 last year TJ!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I mean, I get it, Miller did an outstanding job. Altman had adversity too, no Ennis and no home game against Arizona, no problem: still won the deepest conference in the country, beat Arizona on the road, top 10 ranking, 4th in RPI, etc. Both Miller and Altman were deserving, only one can win, and I can see how Altman won.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:I mean, I get it, Miller did an outstanding job. Altman had adversity too, no Ennis and no home game against Arizona, no problem: still won the deepest conference in the country, beat Arizona on the road, top 10 ranking, 4th in RPI, etc. Both Miller and Altman were deserving, only one can win, and I can see how Altman won.
In a vacuum, yes. But if so, then why didn't Miller win it last year? Last year, Altman got it for bravely coaching an also-ran team, while Miller cleaned up against the conference. This year Altman won it for winning the conference while Miller successfully coached a taped-together team with injuries.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

When Miller goes 18-0 next year he will finally win it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:When Miller goes 18-0 next year he will finally win it
No way. Some plucky upstart like Washington State will be picked to finish 11th but will end up 6th and they'll give it to Kent.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Longhorned wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I mean, I get it, Miller did an outstanding job. Altman had adversity too, no Ennis and no home game against Arizona, no problem: still won the deepest conference in the country, beat Arizona on the road, top 10 ranking, 4th in RPI, etc. Both Miller and Altman were deserving, only one can win, and I can see how Altman won.
In a vacuum, yes. But if so, then why didn't Miller win it last year? Last year, Altman got it for bravely coaching an also-ran team, while Miller cleaned up against the conference. This year Altman won it for winning the conference while Miller successfully coached a taped-together team with injuries.
This goes to the "performance relative to the talent level available" element that goes into selecting the COY. We can argue with it, especially because the coach is responsible for the players he recruits,

Given that backdrop... Our team last year was the class of the conference and did what they were expected to do. Little room for 'beating expectations'.

I have no problem with Altman winning COY THIS season. It was earned and deserved.

Whether we should have been or not is a different stor, but we were picked to win the Conf and finished 4th. Miller did an outstanding job, but he did not deserve the award.

Regardless of who wins what post-season awards, we have the best coach in the conference, and EVERYBODY knows it. Lauri, Kobi, Rawle, and hopefully JJ - to name 4. :D
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Have no issue with Altman winning the award this year, he earned it. Last year however the awards overall (Miller COY snub, Joseph Young winning POY over TJ, and Gary Payton winning DPOY over Rondae when his team ran a zone 100% of the time) were pure bullshit. That should have been an Arizona clean sweep. The conference race was never close.
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:When Miller goes 18-0 next year he will finally win it
I believe Miller is more likely to win the national championship than the COY.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Have no issue with Altman winning the award this year, he earned it. Last year however the awards overall (Miller COY snub, Joseph Young winning POY over TJ, and Gary Payton winning DPOY over Rondae when his team ran a zone 100% of the time) were pure bullshit. That should have been an Arizona clean sweep. The conference race was never close.
Altman has won it three times in the last four years. They should rename it the Dana Altman award and just give it to him every year.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ChooChooCat wrote:Have no issue with Altman winning the award this year, he earned it. Last year however the awards overall (Miller COY snub, Joseph Young winning POY over TJ, and Gary Payton winning DPOY over Rondae when his team ran a zone 100% of the time) were pure bullshit. That should have been an Arizona clean sweep. The conference race was never close.
Yep. Last year the voters were thinking 'well we can't give everything to AZ'. A lot of sour grapes.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah, that's about the way I feel.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm with everyone who thinks Altman deserves it this year, but not last year. Anyone who thinks the most talent wins a conference in spite of coaching need look no further than this year's Cal.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:
I chalk it up to life isn't fair. Someone pointed out Coach K only having 5 ACC coaches of the year awards. It's a silly award in the grand scheme of things because the best coaches usually don't win. I'm only looking at the right now because history is full of shit, I dont need to look back and rile myself up over it. I also know its an uphill battle for us to win anything. Other coaches are jealous of Miller and our success. We are generally really deep and balanced so our stars get punished because they arent going to put up the gaudy scoring numbers. If we have a great team its not because of Miller, its because we are loaded. This was one year where we had a ton of adversity and lost four starters, so Miller had his rare shot to be the underdog, but we finished tied for third in the conference. Another guy also did a great job and his team finished in first and has emerged as one of the best teams in the country. It happens. The naysayers will say, yea u lost all that and u had your injuries, but you still had an NBA level senior center most of the year, possibly the best power forward in the conference, the second best freshman in the conference, and a senior scorer in York.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, nicely deserved by altman this season.

does CSM's contract still have a bonus clause for winning p12 COY?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Altman is a good coach, especially when he is not keeping quiet about a gang rape involving his players to ensure bonuses for himself and staff.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Altman is a good coach, especially when he is not keeping quiet about a gang rape involving his players to ensure bonuses for himself and staff.
That escalated quickly.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Them's just the facts
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Bruce Pascoe, Arizona Daily Star 8:38 p.m. MST March 7, 2016

UA coach Sean Miller has said he hopes to sign five or six players total before next season. He will have at least five openings, with four departing seniors and one open spot that wasn't filled this season, and could have more if departed forward Elliott Pitts leaves the team permanently and/or if freshman Allonzo Trier turns pro.

Pitts sat out 17 games with what Miller called a “personal issue,” and left the team for good before the Wildcats’ Feb. 17 game with ASU. Miller would not say if he expects Pitts to return next season.

"I would like to comment on that but I can’t, other than what I‘ve already said,” Miller said last month, five days after Pitts left the team. “There will be a time that I can. I just can’t right now.”

Miller indicated that Pitts' status does not affect his spring recruiting plans.

"We have so many positions open that it’s not really a factor," he said.

Alkins and Simmons will make up what could be a crowded perimeter next season, especially if Trier stays. UA is expected to return guards Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Kadeem Allen and Justin Simon.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /81465258/" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Do you think the added sexiness from him slimming down has helped spur the late surge in recruiting?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Glad hes healthy and feeling good, but I kind of miss the pudgy Sean Miller lol
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

"I guess if you're the coach, you can look at it this way: Hey, everything's fine. We're in the semifinals against Oregon. Awesome job. We advanced. A lot of teams would have loved to," Arizona coach Sean Miller said. "Or you can really say our effort level is as bad as I've ever seen in the last 20 minutes. I choose to focus on the second one."
Strong words from CSM.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:Glad hes healthy and feeling good, but I kind of miss the pudgy Sean Miller lol
He's looking great.....I love every time I get to watch him in a game, press conference, etc. The guy exudes passion and intensity.....I can honestly say there is no other coach out there that I would take over him.

I still standby his Zeus reprimand earlier in the season.....he is 'the Man' and a real leader.....especially in this day and age of the Millenials, HS Athletes big egos, social media, etc....I love his 'no nonsense', 'do what we do', 'nastiness is required', 'a player's program' mentality! Damn, we are truly blessed to have him as our HC!

The couple of years during/following Lute's resignation were depressing and nerve-wracking as who the hell could be good enough to follow HOF Lute Olson??? Never even heard of CSM until we were chasing him.....my Aggie Bro sent me a text here in Bangkok that Tim Floyd was going to be our coach.....Wow, did we win the lottery or what when we dodged that bullet?

It really pisses me off that CSM doesn't get the COY respect he deserves but screw Larry and the P12....let them be jealous of us and our stud coach. I firmly believe CSM is a future HOF'er and really hope he stays at the UA for the rest of his career! Enjoy the ride :-)
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Miller Tournament Facts

Tournament bids: 8

Nine if you include this year.

Overall record: 17-8

Record at Xavier: 6-4

Record at Arizona: 11-4

Seeds: 14 ('06), 9 ('07), 3 ('08), 4 ('09), 5 ('11), 6 ('13), 1 ('14), 2 ('15), 6 ('16)

This is the first year Miller has had a duplicate seed. The last time he was a six seed, AZ lost to OSU on the Grant Jerrett goodbye play.

Miller's worst seedings came in his first two appearances as a 14 seed and a nine seed.

Record as a 14 seed: 0-1

Record as a 9 seed: 1-1

Miller hasn't been worse than a six seed in any of his six other tournament appearances.

Record as a 3, 4, 5, and 6 seed: 10-4

Record as a 1 and 2 seed: 6-2

Miller actually has beaten Wisconsin, 60-49 in the second round in 2009 with Xavier as a 4 seed. Last year, Wisconsin put up 85 points in the Elite 8. That was the first time an opponent scored 80 or more in Miller's 25 tournament games.

Record in first and second round: 13-2

In his first two appearances with Xavier, he lost to three seed Gonzaga in the first round by four points, and lost to one seed and national runner-up Ohio State in OT in the second round. He hasn't been to less than a Sweet 16 since.

Record in first and second round as a 6 seed or better: 12-0.

Record in Sweet 16: 4-2

Record in Elite 8: 0-4

Miller is undefeated in the first week since 2007 and 4-6 in the second week.

He has been to the Elite 8 once with Xavier and three times with Arizona. It would be surprising, but not impossible or even unexplainable, for this team to get Miller to the Final Four.

Record vs. 4-16 seeds: 16-0

Point differential vs. 4-16 seeds: +11.6

Record vs. 1, 2, and 3 seeds: 1-8

Point differential in wins vs. top 3 seeds: +16
Point differential in losses vs. top 3 seeds: -6.1
Point differential in losses vs. top 3 seeds not including 2008 UCLA: 4.1

In 2008, Miller lost in the Elite 8 to one seed UCLA by 19 points.

Miller cleans up against the 4-16 range. There have been no Santa Claras or East Tennessee States. His teams play hard, determined, and prepared.

The record vs. top three seeds is poor, but it is woth noting that eight of those nine games were vs. top 10 teams per kenpom's final ratings, and six of the eight losses came down to the wire.

Record vs Kenpom top 10: 2-7
Record vs Kenpom 11-30: 7-0
Record vs Kenpom 31-50: 1-1
Record vs Kenpom 51+: 7-0

Both of Miller's top 10 wins came in 2011 vs. Texas (6) and Duke (4). He then lost to UConn (9) 63-65 and they went on to win the championship.

Gonzaga (34) is the only non-top 10 team per kenpom's ratings to knock Miller out of the tournament, and that was in his first appearance. He lost by four points. He is 15-0 vs all other non-top 10 teams.

Record when scoring 50-59 points: 0-2
Record when scoring 60-69 points: 3-2
Record when scoring 70-79 points: 9-4
Record when scoring 80-89 points: 3-0
Record when scoring 90+ points: 2-0

Record when allowing 40-49 points: 1-0
Record when allowing 50-59 points: 5-0
Record when allowing 60-69 points: 6-3
Record when allowing 70-79 points: 5-4
Record when allowing 80+ points: 0-1

Miller is 14-4 when his teams score 70+ points (5-2 with Xavier, 9-2 with AZ). He gives up 80+ once a decade.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That resume reads like that of an elite mid major. Unfortunately he's no longer at a mid-major program. :(
catgrad97

Didn't know where else to put this...

Post by catgrad97 »

Nice feature on Mark Tollefsen and his transfer journey from The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/sport ... pe=article
Graduates pursue a fondest wish without waiting

By William C. Rhoden
Sports of the Times

LAS VEGAS — This was the moment Mark Tollefsen had been waiting for his entire athletic career: Pacific-12 Conference tournament, standing at the foul line with the game on the line, his Arizona Wildcats trailing by 77-76 with less than a second left in regulation.

Tollefsen missed the first free throw but made the second to send the game to overtime.

After Oregon pulled away for a 95-89 victory in that game Friday to advance to the conference final, Tollefsen, a 6-foot-9 senior forward, was disappointed but philosophic: This was why he had transferred from the University of San Francisco after graduating last year with one year of eligibility remaining.

Tollefsen could have stayed to star with the Dons, but he elected to do what he had always wanted — get a piece of big-time college basketball.

“I wanted to win a championship,” he said. “I wanted to make the N.C.A.A. tournament. I wanted to cap off my college career with some kind of championship.”

A national championship was not going to happen at San Francisco, a West Coast Conference team, and is not likely to happen at any of the other programs outside the so-called Power 5 conferences. So Tollefsen went to Arizona, a national powerhouse.

College basketball players have few rights, but those with eligibility remaining when they graduate — like Tollefsen, who had redshirted in 2011-12 — at least have leverage and mobility: They, unlike their undergraduate peers, do not have to sit out a year if they transfer.

That is a good thing.

Coaching staffs that had ignored Tollefsen a few years ago began banging down his door when they found out last year that he was on the market.

“It was pretty hectic,” Tollefsen said. “As soon as I got my release, I had schools calling every hour.”

Still, the transfer-rule exception can hurt a program if a player like Tollefsen decides to leave. Lorenzo Romar, the coach at Washington, said: “I’ve seen it be the difference between winning and losing seasons and N.C.A.A. tournament berths and non-N.C.A.A. tournament berths. Coaches have literally lost their jobs because guys left and went to other programs where, if they would have stayed, they could have had winning seasons.”

Last week, during the W.C.C. tournament, I spoke with Rex Walters, who coached Tollefsen at San Francisco for four years.

“It hurts,” Walters said. “We had a chance to be a really good team this year if we have a guy like Mark Tollefsen. It’s a kick in the gut, but at the end of the day, you love the kid, and you want what’s best for him, but it’s a kick in the gut.”

Walters added, “We’ve become a farm system for the high major programs.”

Two days after that conversation, San Francisco fired Walters.

Tollefsen was heartbroken when he heard the news, saying of Walters, “We went through so many battles together, and he changed my life.” But Tollefsen also stuck by his decision to leave the program, saying, “I just knew in my heart that it was time for me to move.”

Arizona Coach Sean Miller said he was sympathetic to Walters’s plight.

“My heart goes out to those guys,” Miller said. “It’s a difficult position to put them in. It’s a difficult position to put us in, too. You find yourself, as a college coach, watching other games with the understanding that every once in a while, there’s a guy on this team who could potentially want to leave. It’s human nature. It’s our game.”

Miller said that he did not especially like the transfer-rule exception and that he would prefer that every student-athlete who transferred sit out a season.

“I think it’s great for the overall culture of our game that you’re not allowed to transfer and be eligible,” he said. “If you want to go and leave, fine, but you have to sit out a year.”

But Miller also acknowledged that he had taken advantage of the exception. This season, the Wildcats got a battle-tested veteran.

As for Tollefsen, rather than playing a fourth season for a midmajor that would invariably have been devoured by a power team had it made the N.C.A.A. tournament — and San Francisco did not — Tollefsen is on the power side of the equation.

On Sunday, two days after the tough loss to Oregon, Tollefsen came one step closer to fulfilling his dream. Arizona, which finished the regular season tied for third in the Pac-12, was selected for the N.C.A.A. tournament as a sixth seed.

“I’ve lived for this moment my entire career,” Tollefsen said.

Dana Altman, Oregon’s coach, has been on both sides. His Ducks have been helped considerably by fifth-year players. But when he was the coach at Creighton, he had his share of players transfer away
, so he knows the feeling.

“It would be very difficult to coach a young man for four years, bring him along for three years, through injury and all of those things, and have him leave,” Altman said. “I do understand that. It’s not an easy question.”

I think it’s fairly simple. When a player leaves your program, you hate the rule; when you get a solid fifth-year player, you love it.

Tollefsen has little ambivalence — and he shouldn’t.

He played well for San Francisco for three seasons and grew as a result of the experience.

He earned a degree and earned the right to determine where to spend his final season.

He chose Arizona, and on Sunday, that choice paid off.

I’d call that a good day for college basketball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Puerco wrote:That resume reads like that of an elite mid major. Unfortunately he's no longer at a mid-major program. :(
Uh, what?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:
Puerco wrote:That resume reads like that of an elite mid major. Unfortunately he's no longer at a mid-major program. :(
Uh, what?

I was going to say the same thing. Show me a mid major with a resume anywhere close to that...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Uh, what?

I was going to say the same thing. Show me a mid major with a resume anywhere close to that...
It's Puerco.

Enough said. My bad...carry on.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Uh, what?

Show me a major with that record. Being close or above to 70% in the tourney is elite anywhere. Guys like Coach K and Calipari are mid 70%'s.

If you look at SM's Arizona tourney record (11-4), it's even more impressive. That's basically a tossup with Cal and K.