UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA's twitter account started banning people voicing their displeasure over Steve Alford.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Wow, just watched Alford's comments as opposed to reading them.....'I've (and we've) done a poor job of getting the message to these guys...' Wow, sounds like he's actually blaming the players as opposed to really accepting responsibility himself. He sounded arrogant while 'acting' contrite.

How/why would a player be motivated by a guy like this.....also seen him on the sidelines acting unemotional many times...almost apathetic compared to the intensity of CSM.....Man, I'm so happy we are blessed to have CSM!!! Hope we never lose this future HOF'er...,only a matter of time before he breaks through the FF and more.

Back to Alfraud, what a mess he's made of the program......with all the talent they get easily to choose from with so little effort and they have this Dbag as HC.....love it! Will be so fun to watch next year's inevitable meltdown.....just hope they let DG hire his replacement as well :-)
"Defensively we're so bad in so many areas, and that falls on me and the coaches," Steve Alford said. "We've got to get our culture back. For two years had our culture rolling, and now we have to get it back."
--Steve Alford

He's lucky UCLA made the tournament last year, over teams who were more deserving. Hadhe missed it and not had a second Sweet 16 run, he'd probably be getting the Kiffin treatment
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:“Bad year’s probably an overstatement. It was a bad two-and-a-half months, bad league play. And that’s what it was."

-Steve Alford's delusion
Now there's a guy who is all out of fucks to give.
MrBug708 wrote:UCLA's twitter account started banning people voicing their displeasure over Steve Alford.
An admirable, yet foolish rallying of the wagons.

#Alford4Life
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So what does UCLA do, seriously?

Fire DG? Fire Alford? Fire both? If they get rid of Alford, Ball and Leaf can walk.

I think they'll give him one more year to turn it around. If UCLA finishes lower than 3rd next season, he's gotta go. That said, it's impossible that they finish lower than 3rd next year, right? Right?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NIT? Or worse?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They aren't eligible for the NIT
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

MrBug708 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:God, after this showing, u almost have to fire the guy. UCLA recruits got to be watching this and shaking their heads
They aren't signing because of Steve. It's because it's UCLA
No shit sherlock. They still have to play for the guy though
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:God, after this showing, u almost have to fire the guy. UCLA recruits got to be watching this and shaking their heads
Doesn't even make sense but then again a lot of parents don't.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Some shitty parents in the world who love to cash in on junior's gift
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

rgdeuce wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Did we suddenly pull the wool over these kids and make Alford the coach?

Not sure your angle. Adidas is sending some kids to ucla and the other is Ball who would come no matter who the coach is.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

MrBug708 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Did we suddenly pull the wool over these kids and make Alford the coach?

Not sure your angle. Adidas is sending some kids to ucla and the other is Ball who would come no matter who the coach is.
What is the main reason Ball was a lock for UCLA? I know you guys could hire a hobo off the street and still get good talent but just curious why Ball chose UCLA over other, better programs? For that matter, Leaf as well....thanks!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

As you insinuated, it's because it's UCLA. Other than an obvious troll among our midst, they will always pull talent regardless of who is coach. I also think the dad wants to keep an eye on Lonzo and will definitely make noise if Alford isn't utilizing his son properly
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ball's dad wants all his kids to stay in LA and UCLA is a bigger name than USC. Leaf ended up at UCLA for the same reason every Compton Magic kid imaginable is headed to UCLA now.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Coop Cat wrote:
YES!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sigh
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:Sigh
:lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Sigh
Why can't you just be happy for us?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He didn't even take the weekend
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Apparently RPI 100 is the UCLA way
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

When Bryce is gone, daddy will be gone.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

catgrad97 wrote:When Bryce is gone, daddy will be gone.
UCLA under Alford might get better once Bryce is gone.

The problem of course is you're talking about four years of Bryce (and the 50-100 rip that comes with it) and then at least a year after Bryce hoping things get better before the theory can be proved which is an utterly ridiculous timetable and shows how far UCLA has fallen. That said, that seems to be the plan/hope as far as I can tell.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Going to have to start requesting that my annual donations to UCLA get directed to the Dan Guerrero bonus and retention fund. Dude is an American hero.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gonna be there awhile.

Alford's buyout will decrease every year, but only slightly — to $7.8 million in 2017 and $5.2 million in 2018.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It was a terrible hire, everyone knew it outside of UCLA. The only conceivable reason to keep him is the steep buy-out provision. The recruits will always flock to UCLA to some degree, so that cannot be a reason to keep him simply because there is a good class coming in.
Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote:As you insinuated, it's because it's UCLA. Other than an obvious troll among our midst, they will always pull talent regardless of who is coach. I also think the dad wants to keep an eye on Lonzo and will definitely make noise if Alford isn't utilizing his son properly
Thanks Bug. BTW, do you post on your Scout Board? Man, I thought it had reached rock bottom with the 'Jessie Virus' and her million handles......but now with that idiot 'kareemiswrong' Alford lover trying to actually meet up other posters in person and fight them it has sunk to an all new low.......kind of like a Jerry Springer UCLA Bball Forum now.

Entertaining at times but then you feel 'dumbed-down' afterwards. ;-)
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
YES!!!
I echo your excitement Chicat! Reminds me of when Lisa Love extended Herbie....another win for Arizona! :-). Next year will be really fun to watch.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:As you insinuated, it's because it's UCLA. Other than an obvious troll among our midst, they will always pull talent regardless of who is coach. I also think the dad wants to keep an eye on Lonzo and will definitely make noise if Alford isn't utilizing his son properly
Thanks Bug. BTW, do you post on your Scout Board? Man, I thought it had reached rock bottom with the 'Jessie Virus' and her million handles......but now with that idiot 'kareemiswrong' Alford lover trying to actually meet up other posters in person and fight them it has sunk to an all new low.......kind of like a Jerry Springer UCLA Bball Forum now.

Entertaining at times but then you feel 'dumbed-down' afterwards. ;-)
I only post on the premium board there.
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:Gonna be there awhile.

Alford's buyout will decrease every year, but only slightly — to $7.8 million in 2017 and $5.2 million in 2018.
Pastner has a better deal than Alford, LOL.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

The man got a good deal when he compromised his integrity to leave New Mexico a week after he signed a multi-year extension....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:

The man got a good deal when he compromised his integrity to leave New Mexico a week after he signed a multi-year extension....
What integrity?
Bangkok Wildcat

Howland Building A Monster!

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/S ... ll/Commits

While Alford is literally killing the UCLA program, Coach Howland is building a monster at Miss State of all places! Was it Dan Gurrerro who fired Howland? What an idiot.....
az91

Post by az91 »

Coop Cat wrote:
With the exception of Mr. Bug, we should all be thankful that Alford has been retained. Alford will ensure that even with the great talent that is naturally drawn to UCLA, the program will be mired in mediocrity.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

UCLA always shows up for 4 games every year: the two against Arizona and two other random games. If we meet them in the Pac tournament, make it 5 games every year. What makes us so special?

Go Cats!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catstatic wrote:UCLA always shows up for 4 games every year: the two against Arizona and two other random games. If we meet them in the Pac tournament, make it 5 games every year. What makes us so special?

Go Cats!!
Super. Bowl.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Re: Howland Building A Monster!

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:http://mississippistate.247sports.com/S ... ll/Commits

While Alford is literally killing the UCLA program, Coach Howland is building a monster at Miss State of all places! Was it Dan Gurrerro who fired Howland? What an idiot.....
It's a good class for sure and he'll do well, but Alford's future classes also look strong.
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Howland Building A Monster!

MrBug708 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:http://mississippistate.247sports.com/S ... ll/Commits

It's a good class for sure and he'll do well, but Alford's future classes also look strong.
You could put Bozo the Clown in at UCLA and you'd still get strong classes......but what Howland is doing at Miss State is incredible compared to Alford at UCLA!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

midnightx wrote:It was a terrible hire, everyone knew it outside of UCLA. The only conceivable reason to keep him is the steep buy-out provision. The recruits will always flock to UCLA to some degree, so that cannot be a reason to keep him simply because there is a good class coming in.
To be fair it was known as a terrible hire within UCLA as well.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Only Harlan and DG thought it was a good hire
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

At UCLA, you're either Wooden, or you're fired. Nice to see how that's working out for them.

Heh!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote:

I'm curious how exactly someone could support the claim that "UCLA deserves better". Seems like they have exactly what they deserve.

Can anyone imagine Arizona not firing its coach if Miles or Elliott (or Kerr during his broadcasting days) trashed the program's performance repeatedly during broadcasts the way that Walton does UCLA these days?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

legallykenny wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I'm curious how exactly someone could support the claim that "UCLA deserves better". Seems like they have exactly what they deserve.

Can anyone imagine Arizona not firing its coach if Miles or Elliott (or Kerr during his broadcasting days) trashed the program's performance repeatedly during broadcasts the way that Walton does UCLA these days?

Walton trashed Howland on his way out, repeatedly.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Howland was the best coach they've hired since Wooden, and they freaking canned him. UCLA deserves the spot they're in. Foolishly delusional about what they are and can be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Howland was the best coach they've hired since Wooden, and they freaking canned him. UCLA deserves the spot they're in. Foolishly delusional about what they are and can be.

I was thinking Furd should hire Howland and let him inflict all kinds of payback on UCLA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Howland was the best coach they've hired since Wooden, and they freaking canned him. UCLA deserves the spot they're in. Foolishly delusional about what they are and can be.

I was thinking Furd should hire Howland and let him inflict all kinds of payback on UCLA.
It would make perfect sense, but Howland has a stellar '16 class coming in. I also don't think Stanford is going to pay their next coach what Howland makes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:

Don't think stanford is an upgrade from MSU
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My guess is Furd goes after a Pac-12 assist with Cali recruiting ties.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Don't think stanford is an upgrade from MSU
It is in everything pretty much an upgrade outside of the basketball program. Look at Montgomery and never leaving the bay area, from Stanford to the GSW, to Cal.

Mississippi is a miserable state.