Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:24/7 has composite of the best all time recruits (but it's only since 2000).

Ebi is #1

http://arizona.247sports.com/Sport/Bask ... meRecruits" target="_blank

Idk why Ebi is included but not Jennings, but if had he been included, he would have been No. 1 w/ a .9996 score
Crazy. Thanks for sharing. That top 20 list is dominated by Miller w 13 guys out of 19 if you dont include Ebi, and 20 of 29. Nuts
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

JMarkJohns wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:JMark was Bibby really the consensus #2? I remember someone important saying Stanley was the highest pull we ever had at Arizona, and he was a consensus #3. I know it is just one opinion, but I had a mag back then that ranked the top prospects, trying my hardest to remember what it was, and Bibby was behind several names, though I cannot remember where specifically he was, guessing in that 4-7 range. I tried looking for it and came across Sporting News who had him 6th behind Kobe, Tim Thomas, Lester Earl, Jermaine O'neal, and Ronnie Fields; and somewhere else where Prep Stars ranked him 9th. Its a little easier to find stuff on Ebi, im seeing him 3, 4, or 5. If anyone knows, or at least knows where to find the rankings it would be you or Clip.
Street & Smith had a composite, and not only was he #2 in the class, in 2003 or 2004 they had another panel, and he was ranked 25th greatest Prep prospect of all time by the magazine. Kobe was in early teens, as I recall.

I know Ebi had a #2 ranking right alongside Deng for #2 in 2003 class.

I doubt I still have the magazine, as I threw most of them out when I moved a decade ago. But before message boards, I hoarded Street & Smith, Lindy's, Athlon recruiting magazines.

I don't know if these composites factored in the Internet, as prep recruiting sites were just starting to blossom in early oughts, but I as clear as day remember what I'm saying to you now from Street & Smith.
Gotcha. I think Lindy's may have been the mag I had that had the 96 class rankings in it. I remember bringing it with me to read in the car when my dad took me to Brophy Prep to watch Bibby play in the state semifinals his senior year. Never seen a high school player dominate like that in person, but you dont really see a lot of Mike Bibbys in Arizona :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
NYCat wrote:24/7 has composite of the best all time recruits (but it's only since 2000).

Ebi is #1

http://arizona.247sports.com/Sport/Bask ... meRecruits" target="_blank

Idk why Ebi is included but not Jennings, but if had he been included, he would have been No. 1 w/ a .9996 score
When u think about it, the Ebi decision was the dumbest EE decision in UA history by far. Prob top 3 all time. Far worse than Grant, which was complete lunacy in its own right.

And it was all because he got some hype for checking Lebron on like 4 or 5 possessions in an all-star game lol.

Lebron still got MVP and it wasn't close.
The greatest early entry of all time was the time Chris Rodgers floated his name and withdrew. I assume when he declared to get input from the NBA, the majority of the input involved uncontrollable laughing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I remember the Kevin Garnett comps flying around with Ebi back then.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I remember the Kevin Garnett comps flying around with Ebi back then.
Ebi was a poor man's Darius Miles.
az91

Post by az91 »

rgdeuce wrote:I remember the Kevin Garnett comps flying around with Ebi back then.
Wasn't Ebi the most hyped player to emerge from the infamous Texas pipeline?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:The silence from 97 is deafening.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

It's looking like Kansas according to Twitter and crystal ball predictions. :(. Fingers crossed. Apparently a decision could be coming tonight.

Not looking good at all.....KU to 50%? Hard to believe looking bad in the tournament had no impact.
http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

billk78 wrote:It's looking like Kansas according to Twitter and crystal ball predictions. :(. Fingers crossed. Apparently a decision could be coming tonight.

Not looking good at all.....KU to 50%? Hard to believe looking bad in the tournament had no impact.
Until 97 says something else I am seeing JJ in a wildcat uni next year. #in97wetrust
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
billk78

Post by billk78 »

azcat49 wrote:
billk78 wrote:It's looking like Kansas according to Twitter and crystal ball predictions. :(. Fingers crossed. Apparently a decision could be coming tonight.

Until 97 says something else I am seeing JJ in a wildcat uni next year. #in97wetrust
Maybe I missed it but 97 has never said "We are right where we want to be..." when it comes to JJ. He has said "perfect fit." Maybe im overthinking it, but it could be a perfect fit but JJ chooses KU for other reasons ($$)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

97 picks his spots carefully. I ain't worried one way or another unless we find out there's cause to worry.

Regardless, JJ would be a huge get for AZ and that can't be understated. However, if he did go elsewhere, it's not like Miller has a bunch of scrubs filling out the rest of the class. It would be better to have him but Miller will have plenty to work with either way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He's not coming, guys. 97 would've chimed in by now. Trust me.

But if TF commits, our class is still top 5 nationally. So there's that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

By the way, that's now two years straight we've whiffed on our top target.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not trusting anything on twitter til I see an official announcement. If he doesn't come to Arizona, not sure thats a whiff. He's the number 1 recruit in the country and Michigan State and Kansas are elite schools too. Cant win em all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So JJ wanted MSU but Mom wants KU. No one saying AZ. Sounds like perfect misdirection.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What's the first thing Jeff Withey publicly said when his mom made him transfer to Kansas?

It's cold.

JJ hates to cold, but apparently listens to mom.

Ferguson is on campus for a reason.

Maybe Trier will come back too now.

I'll take the 2 in the hand.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I was thinking it is getting late for an announcement.

I've never been to a psychic. Never been to the Crystal Ball. Pretty much hold the same value.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49 wrote:So JJ wanted MSU but Mom wants KU. No one saying AZ. Sounds like perfect misdirection.
If you're looking for an Arizona spin, or could be actuality. You could understand how you get different stories.

Jackson said it was between Arizona & Michigan State a while ago. If Arizona insiders only get insight on his recruitment from him, it is between the two and Arizona has a good chance. And the infamous weather..

On the MSU & KU (several national) side they get that he wants to go MSU but is being pushed to KU by his mom (+ camp). His number two would be Arizona as well, but if he is not making the decision by himself KU seems to be the leader.

Personally when multiple sides are saying the same thing, they're might be truth in there. It all depends who you get your information from. Maybe Arizona guys are the only ones getting the real scoop and everyone is wrong.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not such a perfect fit, it turns out.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What are you guys talking about? This thread is now filled with pure fiction.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Maybe Ferguson will commit to the UofA this weekend.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Want to know where Josh Jackson will commit?

https://youtu.be/oxopPDMq7rs" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Jefe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The silence from 97 is deafening.
Seriously. The need for confirmation 24/7 is old
Zero

Post by Zero »

Totally agree. I don't think any one knows exactly what JJ is thinking. Glad 97 chimed on TOS premium. Dude has to get annoyed lol
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Plus...what if we do miss on #1 but secure a top 3 class? We are in with the top programs for every major player, and we win more than our share. Should CSM back off of going for the best players because they might choose another elite school? Silly. If we lose Jackson to Kansas or Michigan State, but bring in Simmons, Alkins, Ferguson, Lauri, get our first showing from Ray Smith (if he survives) and maybe add more depth, should we really feel like there was anything but success? Talk about actively looking for something to be upset about...how dare he not get every single top 5 player who shows interest?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I know everyone was its JJ or bust but are the sum of Kobi, Rawle, Terrence and LM greater the. JJ and LM would've been?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

3goggles wrote:I know everyone was its JJ or bust but are the sum of Kobi, Rawle, Terrence and LM greater the. JJ and LM would've been?
Good question. JJ and LM alone as a pair was more valuable at the time we were pondering it last fall when we thought PJC was Arizona's point guard, we assumed JJ would play college ball, and we were living in a world where so many now-familiar recruits weren't on Miller's radar. Even if we could be assured that JJ won't go to China, it's not like JJ is in a different league than Alkins or Ferguson, and either or both could be better than Jackson. So clearly it's better have an elite point guard and two elite wings, as opposed to a single elite wing who may not arrive on a college campus and get NCAA clearance in the fall.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

We got our top targets in '14 and '15 and they didn't get us over that FF hump.

Josh Jackson doesn't automatically deliver a championship for whomever he chooses. He still has to be coached.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

catgrad97 wrote:We got our top targets in '14 and '15 and they didn't get us over that FF hump.

Josh Jackson doesn't automatically deliver a championship for whomever he chooses. He still has to be coached.
We whiffed hard on Rabb so we didn't get our top target of 15.

I'm not super informed on prospects, but is the 2016 class a lot better than 2015? This class I shaping up to be a lot like last years which didn't perform as expected. And the Ray Smith injury had a lot to do with it. But I'm stoked to be wracking up the 5 star players for sure.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KOQSTRONG wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:We got our top targets in '14 and '15 and they didn't get us over that FF hump.

I'm not super informed on prospects, but is the 2016 class a lot better than 2015? This class I shaping up to be a lot like last years which didn't perform as expected. And the Ray Smith injury had a lot to do with it. But I'm stoked to be wracking up the 5 star players for sure.
The 2016 class is light years ahead of the 2015 class. If Arizona ends up with Alkins, Simmons, Ferguson, and Markkanen the talent level is extremely above our 2015 class.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not such a perfect fit, it turns out.
Josh committed tonight, then?

God you're unbearable
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:

The 2016 class is light years ahead of the 2015 class. If Arizona ends up with Alkins, Simmons, Ferguson, and Markkanen the talent level is extremely above our 2015 class.
Adding Ferguson, even if we miss out on JJ, would likely make this the greates class we have ever had on paper... But it is not light ears ahead of '15.

Trier and Ray were McD AA level, while Simon was 34 in the 247 composite rankings, and Comanche was 52. Our expectations for that group coming I were higher than they are after seeing them this season; hindsight is always 20-20.

Simmons + Fergusin = KS + TF at least as far as rankings go). Alkins and Markaanen are higher rated than Simon and Comanche - but let's see what they do when they get here before we get ahead of ourselves.

FWIW, Alkins is my favorite recruit in the class of those 4.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not such a perfect fit, it turns out.
Josh committed tonight, then?

God you're unbearable
The BC97 of late is a big improvement over his former self, but his preoccupation with JJ was annoyingly long in the tooth a LONG time ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:

Adding Ferguson, even if we miss out on JJ, would likely make this the greates class we have ever had on paper... But it is not light ears ahead of '15.

Trier and Ray were McD AA level, while Simon was 34 in the 247 composite rankings, and Comanche was 52. Our expectations for that group coming I were higher than they are after seeing them this season; hindsight is always 20-20.

Simmons + Fergusin = KS + TF at least as far as rankings go). Alkins and Markaanen are higher rated than Simon and Comanche - but let's see what they do when they get here before we get ahead of ourselves.

FWIW, Alkins is my favorite recruit in the class of those 4.
I was with you until the bolded. You're using these players rankings in their classes as justification that this class isn't much better than our last. The 2016 recruiting class on a national level if much much much better than the 2015 recruiting class. For instance Simon wouldn't be anywhere as high as 34 and while Trier was a McDonalds AA last year he very likely wouldn't have been one this year. Ray was ranked very high in his class even after tearing his ACL and missing his entire senior season, my guess is he likely wouldn't have been ranked as highly in this class due to that issue.

Moral of the story is the 2016 class players are better than the 2015 class players. There's a reason every one says this upcoming NBA Draft is one of the weakest and next year's NBA Draft will be one of the better ones and it's certainly not because of whatever college returnees there will be next year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Whoever gets Jackson (IMO Arizona) will get a stiff boost on the recruiting rankings for the class, but Jackson should really be assigned 0 points to anyone until it's clear he isn't going to China, and that's far after he verbally commits, and even after he signs a LOI.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Longhorned wrote:Whoever gets Jackson (IMO Arizona) will get a stiff boost on the recruiting rankings for the class, but Jackson should really be assigned 0 points to anyone until it's clear he isn't going to China, and that's far after he verbally commits, and even after he signs a LOI.
I don't understand your obsession with JJ and China. Is there a chance he isn't going to qualify academically or something? Why in the FUCK would he go to China? Seriously, dude, show me one example of someone in his position going to China (that qualifies academically).

You will find 0 examples. Why the hell would Josh Jackson be the first?

So, we can all now agree it's Arizona, MSU, or Kansas, yea? Good.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:He's not coming, guys. 97 would've chimed in by now. Trust me.

But if TF commits, our class is still top 5 nationally. So there's that.
That "trust me" is so precious.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Whoever gets Jackson (IMO Arizona) will get a stiff boost on the recruiting rankings for the class, but Jackson should really be assigned 0 points to anyone until it's clear he isn't going to China, and that's far after he verbally commits, and even after he signs a LOI.
I don't understand your obsession with JJ and China. Is there a chance he isn't going to qualify academically or something? Why in the FUCK would he go to China? Seriously, dude, show me one example of someone in his position going to China (that qualifies academically).

You will find 0 examples. Why the hell would Josh Jackson be the first?

So, we can all now agree it's Arizona, MSU, or Kansas, yea? Good.
This is an example of how confusion arises in this thread. Somebody says something because of some kind of casual formulation with internal logic, and then it creates an emotion for somebody else, who in turn adds something else based on that, and then it builds momentum.

There are very few knowns in this recruitment, but one of the knowns is that China is seriously in play for real and practical reasons. That has bearing on the timeline because the LOI deadline is April 13, and going pro in China doesn't have a deadline.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Is that your way of professor'ing around my question? China is out of the question. It's as simple as that. I don't understand how that isn't obvious. The kid is fighting to be the #1 pick in 2017. So he is going to go where he has less exposure then Giles and Tatum?

Of course not. That would be fucking insane. Hence, JJ is NOT going to China. The fact that it was thrown out there like a year ago and you still bring it up is, to me, laughable since you are clearly (normally) a very smart and well educated person.

Honestly
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:Is that your way of professor'ing around my question? China is out of the question. It's as simple as that. I don't understand how that isn't obvious. The kid is fighting to be the #1 pick in 2017. So he is going to go where he has less exposure then Giles and Tatum?

Of course not. That would be fucking insane. Hence, JJ is NOT going to China. The fact that it was thrown out there like a year ago and you still bring it up is, to me, laughable since you are clearly (normally) a very smart and well educated person.

Honestly
DC, there are definitely rumblings about China possibly being his ultimate destination, especially if the NCAA looks into his eligibility. I think the preference is for him to play in college, but if that's not possible, or getting cleared will be problematic, then they have to look at his other options. So, as per usual, Longhorned is being his very smart and well educated self.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The fat lady's not singing yet 8-)

but she's warming up
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Is that your way of professor'ing around my question? China is out of the question. It's as simple as that. I don't understand how that isn't obvious. The kid is fighting to be the #1 pick in 2017. So he is going to go where he has less exposure then Giles and Tatum?

Honestly
DC, there are definitely rumblings about China possibly being his ultimate destination, especially if the NCAA looks into his eligibility. I think the preference is for him to play in college, but if that's not possible, or getting cleared will be problematic, then they have to look at his other options. So, as per usual, Longhorned is being his very smart and well educated self.
“I’ve read that crap,” she says of the overseas rumors. “Josh wants to go to college, so Josh will be on a college campus. He’s definitely going to do that.

“If he entertained (going overseas), I would definitely entertain it. Because that’s how much I think the NCAA is messed up. … But my kid is going to college.”

I see nothing online that points to him having any eligibility issues. So, read above and tell me he is going to China and I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Of course if there were eligibility issues I would believe it's possible, but that doesn't at all appear to be the case.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Honestly
“I’ve read that crap,” she says of the overseas rumors. “Josh wants to go to college, so Josh will be on a college campus. He’s definitely going to do that.

“If he entertained (going overseas), I would definitely entertain it. Because that’s how much I think the NCAA is messed up. … But my kid is going to college.”

I see nothing online that points to him having any eligibility issues. So, read above and tell me he is going to China and I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Of course if there were eligibility issues I would believe it's possible, but that doesn't at all appear to be the case.
It is the case. Apples Jackson knows all about it. Josh Jackson wants to play college basketball. Whether or not he can, and whose fault it is if he can't, will remain open questions for months after April has come and gone. His mother thinks the NCAA is messed up. Chicat has seen the back end of this:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 02ece.html" target="_blank

So has Bruce Pascoe. So you can ask him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Honestly

I like it that you deride LH for talking about him going to China because "it was thrown out there like a year ago", and you counter my giving you some up to date info by throwing out his mom's quote from how long ago now?

LH and I are relaying info we've received from Scout Premium in the vaguest way possible so as not to break the rules of that website. You can choose to believe that we're both just pulling stuff out of our asses because you haven't seen anything online, but we have both seen people who should know these things talking about China being a possibility very recently (like last night).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

China not in play. :)

Kansas 55%

Edit
Kansas now 59%

TF 50% to Arizona

now 54%

Last edited by HiCat on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just out of curiosity, how accurate is 247? Did they have Rabb and Brown going to Cal?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how accurate is 247? Did they have Rabb and Brown going to Cal?
55% :D
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The only time to pay attention to the crystal ball is when everyone starts getting there predictions in at the last minute to be correct and shortly before an announcement.

With Terrance Ferguson everyone is jumping on Ferguson to Arizona (highly likely now). Same thing happened with Rawle Alkins & Kobi Simmons where the crystal ball for Arizona kept climbing last minute.

Right now Kansas keeps climbing with Josh Jackson.

Ivan Rabb had 86% to Cal before he announced
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.