Coaching Searches 2016

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Coop Cat

Re: Coaching Searches 2016

Post by Coop Cat »

azcat49 wrote:That would be a decent hire by the rebs. Menzies is a solid recruiter and an OK tactition. I think that's a good fit
Menzies would walk from Las Cruces to Las Vegas for that job.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

MrBug708 wrote:The rebs need to hire Randy Bennett
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:That would be a decent hire by the rebs. Menzies is a solid recruiter and an OK tactition. I think that's a good fit
UNLV is a good job. It has a lot of recruiting resources, comparable to a good P5 school, but not that same level of pressure. If you can consistently make the tourney, you're safe.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Chicat wrote:UAB coach Jerod Haase to Stanford.

Hated that dude when he played for Kansas, so it will be nice to beat the crap out of him twice a year.
That 3-pointer he made with less than a minute left against the Cats in the Sweet 16 put Kansas in the lead and would win. I really believe if he misses that shot, the UofA wins and then beats Syracuse to get to the Final Four.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:What a chump if true. Don't think Livengood would fuck up this bad.
Why would you ever admit that? Sure it makes Cronin look like a prick, but it makes her look like an incompetent idiot. Why would you let him get back on the plane without signing anything if you truly thought he had agreed to be your next coach?
It is a fair question, but it's not uncommon. Jack Hartman to UA BB in '82, Earle Bruce to UA FB way back when, and Rich Rod to ntUSC this season come to mind.

The answer is that most AD's are a lot shittier businessmen than you would think. Which also explains why they all sign up to ridiculously huge buyouts to protect coaches if they are fired, and get next to nothing if that same coach leaves the University high and dry for another job.

It's unbelievable.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

scumdevils86 wrote:The way things are progressing in my personal life and job I can't imagine living anywhere other than Tucson in the near future. The exception would be Denver...but Denver is at least twice as expensive of a city to live in as Tucson so unless I get someone to pay me twice as much for the same job that isn't happening any time soon!
Only thing that costs more in Denver is housing. Left Tucson almost 3 years ago for Denver and it hasnt been that bad cost wise. I still miss Tucson almost every day but decent paying jobs (unless you are an engineer) are few and far between. Im glad i left but i will retire in Tucson some day but its nice that my family is still there. And its a short flight on Southwest anytime i get a hankering for Tucson mexican. I will say, the alumni base up here is growing quickly and super active. Seems like more and more people have abandoned the California dream for the Rockies.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Haha, savage...
But seriously, I'm sure there were more than a few people at Vandy lining up to help Stallings pack up his shit...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That entire board is a rage fest.

On Jeter's twitter, a ton of Pitt fans are telling him to transfer.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Stallings has been a coach for 23 years at Illinois State and Vanderbilt. Hasn't won a conference title since 1998 at Illinois State. In 17 years at vandy he only had 7 tournament appearances and 6 winning conference records. Hasn't been past the first weekend since 2007. Only had two top 20-25 recruiting classes in the last decade+. Only been signed like 1-2 top 50 recruits in the last 5-6 years.

So he hasn't proven he can consistently win or go far in the tournament and can't really recruit too well.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can you imagine thinking your getting Sean Miller and instead you get Kevin Stallings?

It'd be like ordering an 8 oz Kobe Beef filet and getting Hamburger Helper.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Chicat wrote:Can you imagine thinking your getting Sean Miller and instead you get Kevin Stallings?

:lol:
az91

Post by az91 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Stallings has been a coach for 23 years at Illinois State and Vanderbilt. Hasn't won a conference title since 1998 at Illinois State. In 17 years at vandy he only had 7 tournament appearances and 6 winning conference records. Hasn't been past the first weekend since 2007. Only had two top 20-25 recruiting classes in the last decade+. Only been signed like 1-2 top 50 recruits in the last 5-6 years.

So he hasn't proven he can consistently win or go far in the tournament and can't really recruit too well.
This hire is the definition of losing the press conference.
az91

Post by az91 »

Catintheheat wrote:
SCCats wrote:I've always liked the idea of getting healthy at the expense of a conference rival so for me if I was UNC I'd take a hard look at Tony Bennett to go along with the look at Miller.
Or if CSM moves on the Cats could offer Tony Bennett. I am not overly concerned about the Arizona program in the long term. We are storied now, have the facilities, money, and overwhelming fan support. in other words a destination school.
Do not want!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
I'm surprised Menzies turned down the job.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:Can you imagine thinking your getting Sean Miller and instead you get Kevin Stallings?

:lol:

Or like thinking you're getting Shaka and getting Alford?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
UNLV is a good job. It has a lot of recruiting resources, comparable to a good P5 school, but not that same level of pressure. If you can consistently make the tourney, you're safe.
Exactly what Steve Alford needs.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Main Event wrote:
That is a solid hire for Santa Clara.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
That is a solid hire for Santa Clara.

Yep, he was a solid hire for ASU too. Don't think Hurley is going to do any better than Herbie.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
Exactly what Steve Alford needs.
Need a Stallings type move here
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

On Dan Patrick today they were saying that Roy Williams could retire if the Tar Heels win the championship this year. If Roy decides to retire Dan said he will pick the next coach to replace him. If this happens, I doubt he will pick Sean Miller.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Irish27 wrote:On Dan Patrick today they were saying that Roy Williams could retire if the Tar Heels win the championship this year. If Roy decides to retire Dan said he will pick the next coach to replace him. If this happens, I doubt he will pick Sean Miller.
Not so sure about the second part, but the first is what I'm deathly afraid of if UNC wins the chipper.

So,

Go Villanova.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I think if UNC wins, Roy retires. He will ride off into the sunset before NCAA lays down sanction on UNC.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If Roy retires he will probably take his time and announce it during the summer just to insure that he gets to pick his replacement. I don't think CSM and other coaches would leave the UofA with the upcoming season approaching and Roy knows that.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

So, briefly going back to UNLV, anyone else think Dave Rice's tenure should've gone much better? He recruited well, had them in the tournament his first two years, etc; UNLV should've gotten more out of him. (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because his teams always played so well vs UA.)
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Irish27 wrote:If Roy retires he will probably take his time and announce it during the summer just to insure that he gets to pick his replacement. I don't think CSM and other coaches would leave the UofA with the upcoming season approaching and Roy knows that.
I doubt any top coach will seriously consider the UNC job unless and until the ominous NCAA cloud hanging over the entire athletic department has been clarified and lifted....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:
Irish27 wrote:If Roy retires he will probably take his time and announce it during the summer just to insure that he gets to pick his replacement. I don't think CSM and other coaches would leave the UofA with the upcoming season approaching and Roy knows that.
I doubt any top coach will seriously consider the UNC job unless and until the ominous NCAA cloud hanging over the entire athletic department has been clarified and lifted....
They will consider it. UNC is a top two job nationally. It might affect the class of coach they get, but every coach is going to see UNC as a destination job that they want to spend the rest of their career with (unless the NBA).

If UNC opens, every college with a well regarded coach is going to be worried. Maybe not Kentucky.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is highly speculative, but I just saw a rumor that Thad Matta is leaving (voluntarily) tOSU.
az91

Post by az91 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is highly speculative, but I just saw a rumor that Thad Matta is leaving (voluntarily) tOSU.
I wonder if Archie would go there? If it was not really Matta's choice to leave, maybe Archie, or for that matter Shawn, would not go there out of respect for Matta.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OSU is one of the few 3-4 jobs I could see Miller leaving for.

az91

Post by az91 »

I haven't seen one thing to substantiate the rumor that Matta is leaving. Besides, coaches seldom leave on their own unless it is for another job or health reasons. A number of players have decided to leave the program, though.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is highly speculative, but I just saw a rumor that Thad Matta is leaving (voluntarily) tOSU.
Wow, another coach Lebron James gets canned.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:OSU is one of the few 3-4 jobs I could see Miller leaving for.
Depends on what Miller is staring at the following season. To sum it up he wouldn't leave for Ohio State after this year.

There's only 1 job to worry about unless things have gotten stale for Miller at AZ, which hasn't occurred yet obviously.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Why would Sean take a step down to a football school? That would make no sense.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catintheheat wrote:
$$$/one of the richest athletic departments in America, favor to his buddy Matta if he leaves, back east/closer to home than Duke or North Carolina, conference he could dominate more easily than the ACC, good recruiting base

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
$$$/one of the richest athletic departments in America, favor to his buddy Matta if he leaves, back east/closer to home than Duke or North Carolina, conference he could dominate more easily than the ACC, good recruiting base
Why would Matta ask Sean to replace him as a favor? That literally makes not one iota of sense. Where and when have you ever heard of a coach asking another coach to replace him at neither of their alma maters to replace them? He already makes more than Matta, so you can throw $$$ out the window. He also has a much easier time of dominating this conference then he ever would the Big Ten.

It's North Carolina or nothing. Just stop.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
Why would Matta ask Sean to replace him as a favor? That literally makes not one iota of sense. Where and when have you ever heard of a coach asking another coach to replace him at neither of their alma maters to replace them? He already makes more than Matta, so you can throw $$$ out the window. He also has a much easier time of dominating this conference then he ever would the Big Ten.

One of the silliest things I've ever read. They pay Matta what they do because they want to. OSU could pay Miller $12 million a year without blinking. Just stop.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ohio State was one of the two or three schools 97 mentioned (along w UNC) a year or two ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:

One of the silliest things I've ever read. They pay Matta what they do because they want to. OSU could pay Miller $12 million a year without blinking. Just stop.
I'm missing the point. He's paid more than enough and if money was his biggest motivator he'd be collecting $4 million a year from NC State already or at the very least would've used the Pitt rumors as leverage for a bump in pay, but instead he shut it all down himself ASAP. If anybody needs to stop it's you and your BS about how Matta would ask Miller to take over as a favor. What a joke.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Ohio State was one of the two or three schools 97 mentioned (along w UNC) a year or two ago.
He backed off that more recently. UNC or bust.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UNC, OSU, Kentucky or Duke or bust in that order actually.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:UNC, OSU, Kentucky or Duke or bust in that order actually.
You know that how?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
You know that how?
It's as over as Ray Smith's career.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Unc or the Nba. Miller is not going to Osu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
You know that how?
It's as over as Ray Smith's career.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:So, briefly going back to UNLV, anyone else think Dave Rice's tenure should've gone much better? He recruited well, had them in the tournament his first two years, etc; UNLV should've gotten more out of him. (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because his teams always played so well vs UA.)

You can't get more out of a horrible coach. I mean, that's like saying Pastner will "turn it around" next year. No he won't.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
az91

Post by az91 »

Jason Terry interviewed for the UAB job, which opened up when Haase left for Stanford.