Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

Salty wrote:Guys, Pitt fans weren't even excited about Sean Miller. UNC is the best job in basketball, they're setting their sights way higher, whenever they do go looking for another coach.

Coach ain't going anywhere.
So, Rick Pitino then?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Salty wrote:Guys, Pitt fans weren't even excited about Sean Miller. UNC is the best job in basketball, they're setting their sights way higher, whenever they do go looking for another coach.

So they buried Dean Smith in the Pet Semetary?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol salty. Pitt fans were shitting themselves with excitement and blowing up their boards with how they'll be a top program again with Miller during that half hour they thought he was coming. They were losing their minds excited.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol salty has probably never set foot in NC but he knows what UNC is thinking over people like myself and HS who have contacts close to the program.

Never stop being you salty.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I would think Miller would be on the short list but not number one on it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:Guys, Pitt fans weren't even excited about Sean Miller.
Hahaha

Wrong
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not that I think Miller is leaving, but I do wonder who would be in the mix as a potential replacement. Archie?

Not Picard...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Jefe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not that I think Miller is leaving, but I do wonder who would be in the mix as a potential replacement. Archie?

Not Picard...
hopefully not at sc...
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

The USA today website also had the top paid coaches in college basketball. Miller is #3 nationally, up to around $5 mil/season. Only two guys who make more are coach K at 7.5 and Coach Cal. Duke will go inhouse most likely, Kentucky/Kansas has no real discernable difference to what he has here and crappy weather so only 1 job in the world Miller would ever possibly leave UA for: UNC
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Most college jobs will be lateral moves. If he keeps getting top tier recruits and continues to get support from the school, there is little reason to leave.
mofo

Post by mofo »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:The USA today website also had the top paid coaches in college basketball. Miller is #3 nationally, up to around $5 mil/season. Only two guys who make more are coach K at 7.5 and Coach Cal.
Not gonna do the research on my phone but I think the $5M/yr includes his big bonus in April for staying, which is about $2M of that I think in a 1-time shot (or 2 times if he stays until 2020). I'm probably a little wrong on these numbers but I think that's close.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

There is NO way to set their sights 'WAY' higher unless the list is exclusively filled with vey senior coaches who are already at programs of a similar ilk or are completely entrenched where the are). That would include:

Calipari, Pitino, Krzyzewski, Izzo - maybe Billy Donavan? Boeheim if we are being generous. That is it, and none of them are happening.

Now who might be merely 'higher'? That's an awfully short list, too.

Bill Self.. Brad Stevens... but who else? I'll wait.

Now who might be on par with him?

Tony Bennett... Jay Wright...(maybe) Shaka Smart. I could be missing a few, but I am sure you will fill in the blanks for me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm hearing a really strong rumor Roy is done at UNC if they take the natty and Miller is tops on their list to replace. Please, no.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm hearing a really strong rumor Roy is done at UNC if they take the natty and Miller is tops on their list to replace. Please, no.
UNC clearly has the highest chance to win the two games. Unless the unexpected happens, it was good while it lasted. The monster incoming Arizona class would obviously be toast, but a good hire would make it possible to rebuild within a few years and maybe have another shot at that kind of class and high expectations someday down the line.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Factoring in age obviously I would think the list would likely be for those outside of UNC

Stevens (doing good in the NBA though)
Donovan (only one year in the NBA so highly doubtful he leaves if Williams does move on this year)
Self
Smart (only one year at Texas so who knows)
Marshall
Miller (on the verge of something great and retention bonuses)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm hearing a really strong rumor Roy is done at UNC if they take the natty and Miller is tops on their list to replace. Please, no.
UNC clearly has the highest chance to win the two games. Unless the unexpected happens, it was good while it lasted. The monster incoming Arizona class would obviously be toast, but a good hire would make it possible to rebuild within a few years and maybe have another shot at that kind of class and high expectations someday down the line.
It may already be a done deal. I think the rebuilding project here would be about 7 years.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Where do you hear such a rumor?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
It may already be a done deal. I think the rebuilding project here would be about 7 years.
A friend of a friend of a friend who is a realtor in Chapel Hill told me Amy was looking at houses there with lots of grass.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This guy gets it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Taylor?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
A friend of a friend of a friend who is a realtor in Chapel Hill told me Amy was looking at houses there with lots of grass.
What about a lawn?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thought it would be Rick Astley.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

On Jackson's studies, Miller's pay and the Wildcats' value
April 01, 2016 7:54 pm • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

In its always well-researched database of college coaches' salaries, USA Today pegs UA's Sean Miller as the third-highest paid this season at nearly $5 million, behind only Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and Kentucky’s John Calipari. (USA Today also put Miller’s story in the context of today's college basketball finances).

Miller in on schedule to earn about $2.57 million in salary and bonuses from UA this season but USA Today's figure counts both the $300,000 amount Miller has been getting set aside annually toward his seven-year retention bonus -- which will pay him $2.1 million if he stays at UA until the end of this month -- and his vested amount in another, booster-funded retention plan.

In the second retention plan, Miller is now two-thirds vested in 175,000 Western Refining Logistics shares after Arizona Regents voted to accelerate the original plan last October. Miller will vest 100 percent in that plan on June 1, 2017, but he won't get anything if he decides to leave on his own before 2020 (unless health forces him to leave).

As of today, the $23.23 share price of Western Refining Logistics means Miller has vested amount of about $2.71 million at this point, since he has 116,667 vested shares now.

We defined his 2015-16 compensation in a take-home sense (it's on the right side attached to this season-ending story), with a total of $4.67 million -- $2.57 million in salary and bonuses plus the $2.1 million school-paid retention bonus he’ll get on April 30.

However you slice it, it’s a pretty competitive package.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 524de.html" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sevun years ago today, Sean Miller became our coach.

SEVUN
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And hopefully the curse is broken in 20sevunteen.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What curse?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UDUG, Shepherd of the Court curse!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hah! nice to see CSM taking the attention in stride.

if it was me, i'd be milking the situation for all it's worth, like "all that perspiration can really leave me dehydrated, but i wouldn't be so parched if i had a lifetime supply of jura camas single malt, HINT-HINT". :D this is also another in a very long list of reasons why i'd be the worst hc ever, anywhere.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

With Miller's charisma, personality, smarts, sense of humor, and long history of being in front of a camera on the Johnny Carson show, The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh, Hughes Federal Credit Union commercials :lol: , he is pretty much a rock star and very marketable. Tommy John needs him as the spokesperson for their brand.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller reflects on 2015-16 season

http://tucson.com/sports/" target="_blank
az91

Post by az91 »

Someone is going to say it sooner or later: Sean Miller is at the top of the list to replace Josh Pastner at Memphis.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona coach Miller in the offseason? Not yet

17 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Nearly four weeks have passed since the Arizona Wildcats exited the NCAA tournament, and coach Sean Miller’s staff hasn’t stopped running.

“We have workouts” with current players, he said last week. “You’re trying to finalize this year’s (recruiting) class. You’re moving ahead to next year’s class. Sometimes people say, ‘Hey, are you enjoying the offseason?’

“It’s not here yet. I think May is more of that.”

Actually, in UA’s case this spring, June might be more like it.

Wednesday is the first day of the spring signing period, and, while five-star UA target Terrance Ferguson said Tuesday he won’t take more visits and will decide soon, the Wildcats still have at least three scholarship openings to fill for the 2016-17 season.

So even if Ferguson decides to play for the Wildcats, that means UA coaches will likely be chasing a few remaining incoming freshmen or, perhaps more likely, going after both conventional and graduate transfers to round out the roster next season and beyond.

“If we have it the way we see it today, I think you’ll find we’ll have a group of six or seven” new recruits, Miller said last week. “How that shakes out in terms of freshmen or a transfer remains to be seen. But that’s what our team needs based on what we’ve lost and moving forward.”

As of now, Miller has three players coming in — Finnish forward Lauri Markkanen, New York wing Rawle Alkins and Georgia combo guard Kobi Simmons — to go with six returning players (seven if Elliott Pitts somehow returns to the team).

That suggests that the Wildcats’ biggest remaining priority could be getting a fourth big man to join Markkanen, Dusan Ristic and Chance Comanche between the two post positions.

Although the Wildcats reached out to one of the top remaining big men in the class of 2017, Brewster Academy’s Taurean Thompson, Brewster coach Jason Smith said via text message Tuesday that he didn’t think Thompson is seriously considering the UA at this point and is more likely to remain closer to his New York home.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 45e9e.html" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

But can he recruit?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Only 6 5 star recruits on the team next year..up in the air if he can recruit still.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

^ And they include a great group of guards this time, finally!!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:^ And they include a great group of guards this time, finally!!
Hell yeah I'm excited for 3-4 tall gaurd lineups with chance and LM.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Will they buy in to Sean Miller's system? If so, this class could be outstanding down the stretch. Going very deep in the dance. Impressive talent.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/category/2 ... basketball" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97 chimed in a while back on how insane CSM's recruiting has gotten.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Next time Ill ignore the "perfect fit" posts :o
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:97 chimed in a while back on how insane CSM's recruiting has gotten.
Kentucky, Duke and Arizona have been in the top 5 of recruiting every year in the last three years. Those are your top three nationally right now, and it hasn't been very close.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Next time Ill ignore the "perfect fit" posts :o
Why? Just because he chose Kansas doesn't mean he wasn't a perfect fit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Besides, recruits change their mind all the time. See Terrance Ferguson.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What is that, now six straight years of a top 7 recruiting class by ESPN?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Need that final 4 next year in Glendale!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:What is that, now six straight years of a top 7 recruiting class by ESPN?
I looked at the 24/7 composites. The crazy part for me is our 2013 ranking.

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Basket ... amRankings" target="_blank