Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:What is that, now six straight years of a top 7 recruiting class by ESPN?
I looked at the 24/7 composites. The crazy part for me is our 2013 ranking.

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Basket ... amRankings" target="_blank
Time for that check to be cashed.

PHX 2017.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

this made me look it up and it's been the same teams in the top 3 in the top 3 composite rankings 2014-2016. UK Duke and us
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

btfd16 wrote:this made me look it up and it's been the same teams in the top 3 in the top 3 composite rankings 2014-2016. UK Duke and us
one of these three are due for a chipper.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona pulls more 5-star recruits than anyone but Duke and Kentucky

Ricky O'Donnell @SBN_Ricky on Apr 18, 2016, 1:25p

Arizona basketball has been sneaky dominant at recruiting lately.

With the commitment of explosive 6'6 wing Terrance Ferguson last week, Miller locked down his fourth five-star recruit in the class of 2016. Ferguson joins a group that already included point guard Kobi Simmons, shooting guard Rawle Alkins and power forward Lauri Markkanen.

Arizona isn't just recruiting the West Coast. Ferguson is from Dallas, Alkins is from New York, Simmons is from Georgia, Markkanen is from Finland. In his seven years on the job, Miller has built this thing up to a national power with international reach. If a five-star star recruit isn't going to Duke or Kentucky, there's a good chance they're choosing Arizona.

Most importantly, he'll have to get everyone playing for Arizona and not for themselves. Ferguson, Alkins and Trier are all going to want touches and shots to show off for NBA scouts. It could be a dicey proposition, but Miller has done well to get super-talented teams to all buy in in the past.

Duke and Kentucky still stand above the rest of college basketball. Kansas has a way of attracting singular talents, from Andrew Wiggins to Josh Jackson to possibly the top player in the class of 2017, DeAndre Ayton. But Arizona is right there. This type of consistency on the recruiting trail should scare the rest of the country. From top to bottom, next season's team has the chance to be Miller's most talented squad yet.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... e-ferguson" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Time to cash in...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I know it is all speculation, but I really think we would have had that monkey off the back in 2014 without Brandon Ashley's injury. We were absolutely killing the desire of other teams to continue living up to that point. The "wear-down" was real...even the teams that stuck with us had a moment around the 4 to 6 minute mark remaining in the game where they just folded. Michigan was a great example of that...it was just too much to cover us.

2014 was the clear year to have it happen. Some of his early "highly ranked recruiting classes" were fool's gold, like the Josiah Turner/Sidiki Johnson/Angelo Chol class. But the 2012/13 classes combined to make up that 2013/14 team that was clearly the best team in the land prior to Ashley's foot injury. Grant Jerrett would have been really nice to have, but we had a double whammy of bad luck with a single digit scoring freshman on an NBA mission from god and a season ending injury at the same position. All the advantage we had running AG at matchup weaknesses at either the 3 or 4 was ruined, and we went from MASSIVE to a little undersized.

2015 was a very good team, a Final Four capable team, and it took a historic shooting performance from another very good team/1 seed to keep them from that. But that wasn't a huge letdown based on ability/expectations. The 2014 team is the one team that remains the "what could have been" team from the Miller era. 2011 was early and a thrill, 2015 was very good but ended the season right where their seed would suggest against a record-level 2nd half performance. But 2014...that is the one that got away.

2016 was what happens with teams that recruit at high levels...the early entries cause you to have a year where it can fall apart. You cannot always depend on the new class to save you. With one injury to the best player (Smith) and one miss (Simon), we were just kind of average. And dependent upon transfers to fill the gaps. That is how it works today...you either recruit for 4 year starters or you go after the best and take your chances. When you can get the best, you would be insane not to go after it. Calipari manages it as well as can be expected. Miller has, also, done a pretty good job of keeping us relevant and in the mix no matter who we lose early.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:I know it is all speculation, but I really think we would have had that monkey off the back in 2014 without Brandon Ashley's injury. We were absolutely killing the desire of other teams to continue living up to that point. The "wear-down" was real...even the teams that stuck with us had a moment around the 4 to 6 minute mark remaining in the game where they just folded. Michigan was a great example of that...it was just too much to cover us.

2014 was the clear year to have it happen. Some of his early "highly ranked recruiting classes" were fool's gold, like the Josiah Turner/Sidiki Johnson/Angelo Chol class. But the 2012/13 classes combined to make up that 2013/14 team that was clearly the best team in the land prior to Ashley's foot injury. Grant Jerrett would have been really nice to have, but we had a double whammy of bad luck with a single digit scoring freshman on an NBA mission from god and a season ending injury at the same position. All the advantage we had running AG at matchup weaknesses at either the 3 or 4 was ruined, and we went from MASSIVE to a little undersized.

2015 was a very good team, a Final Four capable team, and it took a historic shooting performance from another very good team/1 seed to keep them from that. But that wasn't a huge letdown based on ability/expectations. The 2014 team is the one team that remains the "what could have been" team from the Miller era. 2011 was early and a thrill, 2015 was very good but ended the season right where their seed would suggest against a record-level 2nd half performance. But 2014...that is the one that got away.

2016 was what happens with teams that recruit at high levels...the early entries cause you to have a year where it can fall apart. You cannot always depend on the new class to save you. With one injury to the best player (Smith) and one miss (Simon), we were just kind of average. And dependent upon transfers to fill the gaps. That is how it works today...you either recruit for 4 year starters or you go after the best and take your chances. When you can get the best, you would be insane not to go after it. Calipari manages it as well as can be expected. Miller has, also, done a pretty good job of keeping us relevant and in the mix no matter who we lose early.
Excellent post, EV.

So with all of that said, how are you feeling about 2016-17? Is it another situation where we're going to be overly reliant on a new class, albeit a very, very good new class? Or are there enough returning pieces to provide foundation and depth?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trier is the only returning piece worth mentioning, along with Chance and his high ceiling. Allen and PJC have shown they aren't really Arizona good, and Ristic never took the freshman to sophomore jump. He actually regressed as the season went along.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Trier is the only returning piece worth mentioning, along with Chance and his high ceiling. Allen and PJC have shown they aren't really Arizona good, and Ristic never took the freshman to sophomore jump. He actually regressed as the season went along.
I don't feel that way about Allen. I feel like I don't know how good he could be off the ball where he belongs, and I lean toward him being very good there.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Trier is the only returning piece worth mentioning, along with Chance and his high ceiling. Allen and PJC have shown they aren't really Arizona good, and Ristic never took the freshman to sophomore jump. He actually regressed as the season went along.
I think Ristic could have a lower ceiling than some have acknowledged. He's quite slow. I doubt he'll even be a great rebounder or defender. His value seems to be mainly on offense, where he has some nice moves around the basket.

Trier is a star, and if he's even marginally improved next season, that will be big for us.

I like KA and wonder what his role will be next year with so many guard/wing types arriving.

And yeah, we need CC to be a factor next year, hopefully on defense.

On paper, this team looks very good, but most of that "good" is with guys who haven't played a single college game yet.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

I don't feel that way about Allen or Ristic. Ristic was very very good on offense before Tarc came back and then regressed towards the end of the season, but there was a time when he would consistently get doubled in the post which will be very dangerous for teams to do to us next year. If Ristic can improve on defense, he will be solid. Allen had a terrible last game and was inconsistent at times, but he was good overall last year and will improve.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
I don't feel that way about Allen. I feel like I don't know how good he could be off the ball where he belongs, and I lean toward him being very good there.
Allen needs to be a good defender. If he can do that, the remainder is straightforward. If he was paired with Alkins (who has a good handle) on the second unit, the offense is fine.

We don't need him to be a true pg. We need better D and competent ballhandling.

People here are too harsh on Dusan. He produced a rebound every 4 minutes. Except for his senior year, that's basically what Kaleb produced. Defensively, he is effective in the lane and struggles in the pick and roll. He can score, but has black hole tendencies. He can be a solid player, and most people forget the beginning of Pac play when we all thought he was a star. He won't be Kaleb, but he can be a solid post option on a good team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:What is that, now six straight years of a top 7 recruiting class by ESPN?
I looked at the 24/7 composites. The crazy part for me is our 2013 ranking.

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Basket ... amRankings" target="_blank
Yea I saw that too. Which is dumb. You mean to tell me two four stars and two three stars is better than a top 3 guy (Gordon), a top 15 guy (Rondae) and a 3 star guy? :lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

No California recruits. Slipping.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:No California recruits. Slipping.
Was it sort of a weaker year in CA?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Getting ready for his move to UNC
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:No California recruits. Slipping.
How many licks to the center of a lollypop?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Have to recruit Cali or were doomed. Alford taking control.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Have to recruit Cali or were doomed. Alford taking control.
Alford? Wait. Steve Alford? The one who just finished 10th? I doubt he's even employed much longer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Alford? Wait. Steve Alford? The one who just finished 10th? I doubt he's even employed much longer.
"Raining cats & dogs?? What? I've yet to see a single feline fall from the sky, let alone multiple cats and canines to boot!"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
"Raining cats & dogs?? What? I've yet to see a single feline fall from the sky, let alone multiple cats and canines to boot!"
Take pity Chi
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha when did Beachcat turn into a message board bot incapable of detecting emotion, sarcasm, or humor? I thought he was a normal dude many, many years ago, who just weirdly obsessed over UCLA for whatever reason. Now he is slowly turning into a Jessie-like creature. He's like Goldblum mutating into a fly.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Got to remember this next fishing trip. Gumby shows how to put the line out there and snag one every time. Classic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't think Alford has ever violently seized control. I think he just condoned the actions of someone who did.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fishclamps wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Take pity Chi
In honor of 4-20.... maybe
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Cali is all about the Mary Jane and hoops. And Alford is bogarting the recruits.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Moms For Miller

Sons For Steve
gumby

Post by gumby »

Worries for BeachCat.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller “was very resourceful with the recruitments that did open up,” Scout analyst Josh Gershon said. “He realized if he wasn’t going to get Josh Jackson (the 2016 five-star forward who chose Kansas), there were still a number of guys left, and with Terrance Ferguson, there were rumors he would open it up. Once he did, Arizona was right there.

“And Kobi happened quickly. He was planning to attend UNLV if not for the shakeup. Book (Richardson, UA assistant coach) kept in touch with Kobi and when UNLV (fired Rice), they were right there.

It also helped Miller that there was initially plenty of playing time to offer. UA lost three starters off last season’s team and nearly a fourth until Trier announced earlier this month he was coming back for his sophomore season.

Still, there was that matter of closing the deal.

But even if it didn’t look that way at times over the past year, Miller has proven himself there.

Miller makes hay, so sun shines on UA's 2016-17 team

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star 6 hrs ago

“Sean Miller is a great recruiter,” Gershon said. “No question about it.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6642e.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reads like Miller knew for some time he wouldn't get Jackson.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Reads like Miller knew for some time he wouldn't get Jackson.
What I thought too.

But Miller's excellent at contingency plans. I really think the class we ended up with (sans JJ) is better than the one we'd anticipated for months (w/JJ).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Possibly on the final backstretch, but you don't put that much effort into a guy you know you aren't going to get, even if it is Josh Jackson and you are doing your due diligence. It looks like Miller was going hard til almost the very end. Think Miller just saw it was a toss up with his kid and wanted something big just in case he wasn't on the right side of a coin flip.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Hay is in the barn."

New concern: Does Mrs. Miller have hay fever?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Anyone else wondering if Sean Miller is sitting at home watching Billy Donovan in the NBA Playoffs, causing him to consider an NBA job?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

nope. just you.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Billy won himself a couple of championships first.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Puerco wrote:Billy won himself a couple of championships first.
Yep.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:nope. just you.
I'm sure he gets that a lot.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I bet Sean Miller is sitting in his living room thinking, "Wow, it must be nice to fall into a job with two of the top 5 players in the NBA, one of them being white hot at the right time."
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

That type of dream job is the only type he was leaving gators for.

And it's easier to do when you've been to top of mountain a few times.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

No one destroys press conferences like CSM.

It's a blowout everytime u hear him speak. Wouldn't trade for any coach in the country.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks ME!
PennZona20 wrote:No one destroys press conferences like CSM.

It's a blowout everytime u hear him speak. Wouldn't trade for any coach in the country.
Yep
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Main Event wrote:

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

With chaotic spring over, Miller, Wildcats begin too-short offseason

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Updated 6 hrs ago

“When you guys say, ‘What have you been doing this spring?’” UA coach Sean Miller said, “I mean, I’ll do the math here: Six and five, eleven, and seven.... that’s 18 players we’re moving in or out or welcoming back.”

Another calculation: Six, six and seven. Six returnees. Six departures (four seniors and two transfers out). Seven newcomers (four freshmen and two transfers in), six of whom were signed in the past two months.

Plus a ton of phone calls and texts. A lot of travel. A lot of nervous waiting.

A lot of stress.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e0e2c.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CSM on the hot seat! :roll:

Arizona had Pac-12’s worst offseason

http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12/arizona-w ... offseason/" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I almost posted that Merk.

That is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read.

It only talks about Ferguson, then says Coach is on the hot seat?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

UAEebs86 wrote:I almost posted that Merk.

That is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read.

It only talks about Ferguson, then says Coach is on the hot seat?
Agree, Eabs----non-objective article.

Guy professes perspective, then puts concentrated focus on "losing" Ferguson? Weird.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

By any measure, that article gets an 'F' and its contributor should be on the hot seat.