Lonzo Ball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

97cats wrote:boy that Lonzo Ball sure can play -- best passer of the basketball I've seen come into college in 10years, maybe 20
So what's our strategy in dealing with him?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcccJ_puMM4" target="_blank

Last night's highlights
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:boy that Lonzo Ball sure can play -- best passer of the basketball I've seen come into college in 10years, maybe 20
He does one thing I really like (among a lot of things I like about him). He doesn't dominate the ball, and will always kick it ahead to get a teammate 1 on 1 in transition. It actually hurts his assist numbers but it helps the team.

It's the sort of thing Magic Johnson did with James Worthy and Byron Scott. Recognize playmakers and get them the ball to make their plays with a kick ahead, even if it doesn't get you an assist.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Put Kadeem on him and pray Alford doesn't go out of his mind shooting like he normally does against us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Try to force him to shoot as much as possible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I wonder if Alford tried to get him to correct his shooting form.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
It defies all logic how he is currently a 49% 3 point shooter and Parker Jackson-Cartwright is a 26% 3 point shooter right now. Of course with time a return to the mean will occur, but in no world is Lonzo Ball anywhere near as good of a shooter as he is displaying and Parker is as bad as he's displaying. We are currently residents of Bizarro World.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So what's our strategy in dealing with him?
It defies all logic how he is currently a 49% 3 point shooter and Parker Jackson-Cartwright is a 26% 3 point shooter right now. Of course with time a return to the mean will occur, but in no world is Lonzo Ball anywhere near as good of a shooter as he is displaying and Parker is as bad as he's displaying. We are currently residents of Bizarro World.
That's why I was wondering. His form is terrible, but looks completely natural. So I'm guessing Alford told him to stick with whatever works and it's paying off so far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Plus, stop the ball immediately. You need to be in his field of vision immediately to prevent their transition game from getting rolling.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This guy is gonna have a field day against us. UCLA finally caught some luck with Ball, and with roster issues at AZ and OR.

Ball will likely be Pac FOY and POY, and given that they're gonna go from 10th to 1st, Alford will probably be COY. Amazing what one player can do for a program.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:This guy is gonna have a field day against us. UCLA finally caught some luck with Ball, and with roster issues at AZ and OR.

Ball will likely be Pac FOY and POY, and given that they're gonna go from 10th to 1st, Alford will probably be COY. Amazing what one player can do for a program.
BC, you need to step away from the keyboard for awhile. You have gone fully bipolar with the UCLA stuff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

waysouthcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:This guy is gonna have a field day against us. UCLA finally caught some luck with Ball, and with roster issues at AZ and OR.

BC, you need to step away from the keyboard for awhile. You have gone fully bipolar with the UCLA stuff.
Or he should at least change his avatar.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I see RC97 has gone fill circle back to ucla apologist again.

I'm guessing we will only hear about how Ball is terrible at 3 point shooting in games where he is bad and ignored in those games he shoots well
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ball is good. Good enough to be the best player in the Pac this year and help UCLA win a Pac title.

It's a pretty straightforward take.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ball is good. Good enough to be the best player in the Pac this year and help UCLA win a Pac title.

Markannen is good. Good enough to be the best player in the Pac this year and help UA win a Pac title.

Is this also a straightforward take?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

waysouthcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Ball is good. Good enough to be the best player in the Pac this year and help UCLA win a Pac title.

Markannen is good. Good enough to be the best player in the Pac this year and help UA win a Pac title.

Is this also a straightforward take?
Yep.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Ball is, by a considerable margin even, the best player in the conference. But I truly doubt UCLA as a team is good enough to win the Pac-12. I think Arizona and Oregon both have a better shot (unless Oregon really is as mediocre as they have looked during the preseason).
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote:Ball is, by a considerable margin even, the best player in the conference. But I truly doubt UCLA as a team is good enough to win the Pac-12. I think Arizona and Oregon both have a better shot (unless Oregon really is as mediocre as they have looked during the preseason).
Ball is not the best by a considerable margin. Fultz is dropping 23, 7 and 5.

I can understand preferring Ball to Fultz, but Fultz is really good. I like Lauri, but even leaving him out due to the homer factor, Ball is not a clear #1. Fultz, and to a lesser extent Rabb, are there. If Brooks makes a full comeback, he is in that discussion too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:Ball is, by a considerable margin even, the best player in the conference. But I truly doubt UCLA as a team is good enough to win the Pac-12. I think Arizona and Oregon both have a better shot (unless Oregon really is as mediocre as they have looked during the preseason).

I can understand preferring Ball to Fultz, but Fultz is really good. I like Lauri, but even leaving him out due to the homer factor, Ball is not a clear #1. Fultz, and to a lesser extent Rabb, are there. If Brooks makes a full comeback, he is in that discussion too.
Not sure, SS. Fultz can fill out that stat sheet, but have you seen the effect Ball is having on UCLA? He's leading the nation in assists. I'm not sure there's another player you'd take before Ball if doing a Pac draft. Elite PGs are arguably the most precious commodity in college hoops. Right up there with elite centers, which are even rarer these days.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but BC97's post above me is a pretty good description of why I think Lonzo is the best player in the conference. No one else makes the players around him better the way Lonzo does. Maybe not even anyone in the country.

However, UCLA also has a player getting 30 minutes each game who uniquely makes everyone around him worse, so the Lonzo Effect is tempered.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ball's HS team was 35-0 last season. He impacts the game in a unique way, and he doesn't appear to be skipping beat in his transition to college. He's a special player, and he elevates UCLA's ceiling considerably this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Not sure, SS. Fultz can fill out that stat sheet, but have you seen the effect Ball is having on UCLA? He's leading the nation in assists. I'm not sure there's another player you'd take before Ball if doing a Pac draft. Elite PGs are arguably the most precious commodity in college hoops. Right up there with elite centers, which are even rarer these days.
I don't have an issue with preferring Ball. I only take issue with saying Ball separates by a considerable margin.

Fultz is a better scorer than Ball will ever be. Ball is a better distributor than Fultz will ever be. It depends on what you prefer. Ball has much more talent around him than Fultz does, which cuts both ways.

Ball is a purer pg, but Fultz can also put 30+ on you, which Ball really can't. Like I said, no issues saying Ball is better or that you prefer him, but I do not see a separation, I see it as a matter of preference.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Isn't he going to UCLA?
No one is sure.

He's playing it very close to the vest.
:roll:
Still could end up at Zona
Don't need him, don't want him. We're enjoying the view from atop the standings, which will continue next season.
Remember when. Rc97 didn't want him?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Don't need him, don't want him. We're enjoying the view from atop the standings, which will continue next season.
Remember when. Rc97 didn't want him?
That was before Arizona lost to Butler.

Now Ball is Magic Johnson reincarnated, UCLA will win the PAC-12 by three+ games, and Arizona will likely finish 5th or 6th and either barely squeak into the tourney or will be NIT bound.

What an amazing time to be alive...
Zero

Post by Zero »

The ups and downs seem to be pretty crazy for BC this year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

⚡️⚡️ dynamite ⚡️⚡️
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That 13th assist last night..how? His short shorts are almost as good as his court vision

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lot of good seats still available.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is there another player in America you'd take ahead of Ball right now? UCLA essentially added one guy (well, and Leaf) to a 10th place team, and they're now looking like a national title contender. Crazy how he's making these college games look like his Ball Is Life prep highlight videos.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I see UCLA has a pair of Balls for next year, and later.

◔_◔
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is there another player in America you'd take ahead of Ball right now? UCLA essentially added one guy (well, and Leaf) to a 10th place team, and they're now looking like a national title contender. Crazy how he's making these college games look like his Ball Is Life prep highlight videos.
There are a lot of players. I find it crazy how I was defending Ball in one thread and in here, I have to take the other side, that Ball is not the second coming. He's a very good player, but let's cool it on the best in America, national title talk.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is it safe to assume with his two brothers headed to UCLA next year that he will stay another year no matter what?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's 1 and done.

There is only one going to UCLA next year, LiAngelo. Melo is only a SO right now. It would be nice for Lonzo to stay so they could all win a title, but his dad has flat out said that he's one and done.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thanks bug. Bummer. Great player. Can't wait for the day when a kid says he is staying be a use he loves the college game and college life
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I can't wait until a kid says he stays because players are properly compensated.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure if that is a knock on amateur athletics or that the bruins need to get back to their heyday and get another Sam Gilbert to pay the best players :)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Instead of haircuts it will be tattoos!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is there another player in America you'd take ahead of Ball right now? UCLA essentially added one guy (well, and Leaf) to a 10th place team, and they're now looking like a national title contender. Crazy how he's making these college games look like his Ball Is Life prep highlight videos.
What are you going to say if they let Kentucky score 150, I wonder?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote:I can't wait until a kid says he stays because players are properly compensated.
You have to keep that sort of thing quiet. No wonder UCLA football isn't SEC level.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

azcat49 wrote:Not sure if that is a knock on amateur athletics or that the bruins need to get back to their heyday and get another Sam Gilbert to pay the best players :)
I'm not sure either.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:I can't wait until a kid says he stays because players are properly compensated.
You have to keep that sort of thing quiet. No wonder UCLA football isn't SEC level.
Ha, it's funny you say that. I have absolutely no problem with teams like Ole Miss, Alabama, USC, et al. blatantly paying players. Good! I wish UCLA boosters would do the same. I despise "but what about the rules!!" pearl-clutching in this age of bullshit amateurism, and there might be no fan base on the west coast that has more pearl-clutchers than UCLA's.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

His brother LiAngelo scored 72 last night...and 56 the day before

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... ame-120116" target="_blank

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is disturbing that a wanker like Alford is brining in this talent -- clearly it is his staff getting the job done, but with such a mediocre program in terms of recent results, and a head coach with such a mediocre resume, it is somewhat astonishing these kids want to play for his program. Ball is probably going to single-handedly save Alford's job.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Ucla fans coming out their holes. Hilarious.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

What?

By the way I'm pretty sure Lonzo is going to be a top 5 pick. What a player. I don't think you would find any coach in the conference who would take Fultz or anyone else over him.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

cats101 wrote:Ucla fans coming out their holes. Hilarious.
Pretty much
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Don't know whom the hell you could be talking about. Bug and I have almost four thousand posts here between us and we are the only ones.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Maybe if Don or Banners comes back, but which other fans have come back? RC97?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Bug has been here regardless no doubt. Other dude pretty much stayed clear from the basketball section once Alford got hired and pretty much just chilled in the Politics section from then on
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:Maybe if Don or Banners comes back, but which other fans have come back? RC97?
You guys are just posting more, more often and more fervently. The ucla bandwagon is loading up! Maybe traffic somehow won't be as bad at the next home game?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.