UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:So prince Ali has been cleared but has chosen not to play this year and instead sit out. Weird situation considering if he leaves, he needs to sit out another year. Who needs depth?
Can't be concerned about not getting shots. Seems like there are plenty to go around.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

First road sweep in 4 years
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is where BeachBruin tries to convince everyone that Utah game was never in doubt.

Shine on you crazy diamond. The floor is yours...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Utah is tough, Chi. They played us close.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Utah is tough, Chi. They played us close.
Yeah but your boys came away with the big win tonight BeachBruin. You must be proud.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Yeah but your boys came away with the big win tonight BeachBruin. You must be proud.
Let's see. If rooting against ucla makes me a ucla fan, I guess rooting against AZ would have the same effect? Or would rooting for ucla make me a ucla hater? How do we straighten this out, Chi Phi?

Oh whatever. Here's hoping AZ shocks the nation next Saturday. Bear down and beat the Bruins! And the Trojans on Thursday!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Let's see. If rooting against ucla makes me a ucla fan, I guess rooting against AZ would have the same effect? Or would rooting for ucla make me a ucla hater? How do we straighten this out, Chi Phi?

Oh whatever. Here's hoping AZ shocks the nation next Saturday. Bear down and beat the Bruins! And the Trojans on Thursday!
It will be a surprise, maybe even a bit more than a mild upset, if we win next week... but you will be the only one I am aware of who is shocked.

Are you a UCLA fan? Maybe not, but you have some serious UCLA-envy going on, and you always have.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Us?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:Are you a UCLA fan? Maybe not, but you have some serious UCLA-envy going on, and you always have.
What's there to envy? Seriously? We are the better program since the 80s, which is to say my lifetime. I don't envy a program whose greatest glories are only available in black and white.

So, no, Harvey. I'm not, nor have ever been, nor will ever be, a UCLA fan. It's proven to be incredibly difficult to get this across.

As always, go Cats!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrMeow wrote:

Us?
Yeah, you know...Arizona. We played Utah recently. Game was at McKale Center, which is located in Tucson, Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So, no, Harvey. I'm not, nor have ever been, nor will ever be, a UCLA fan. It's proven to be incredibly difficult to get this across.
Jeepers, I cannot imagine why....
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:So prince Ali has been cleared but has chosen not to play this year and instead sit out. Weird situation considering if he leaves, he needs to sit out another year. Who needs depth?
Can't be concerned about not getting shots. Seems like there are plenty to go around.
@bug - interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the ali situation. you think it's likely that he transfers out? even with little alf gone next year?

as for this season, i get that ali may want to rs and maximize eligibility, but this year's ucla squad has a legit chance at a possible natty run in march. tough to imagine any player not wanting to be a part of that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I really don't know what he is thinking. I agree with your logic and if he transfers, he sits again. And if Holiday goes, we have no guard depth, worse than this year. He could just be sick of the situation and want gone either way, but a mid year transfer would have made sense then.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA has 40 with like 8 minutes to go and Bryce hasn't even taken a shot.

ASU is bad
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Should be a good game today. I think you'll see Arizona get sucked into playing UCLA's style. A win by Arizona puts them in the drivers seat for the PAC-12
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote:Should be a good game today. I think you'll see Arizona get sucked into playing UCLA's style. A win by Arizona puts them in the drivers seat for the PAC-12
Not if the #1 defense in Pac12 shows up and it becomes more of a half court game or if UCLA plays zone like everyone else has.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Should be a good game today. I think you'll see Arizona get sucked into playing UCLA's style. A win by Arizona puts them in the drivers seat for the PAC-12
Not if the #1 defense in Pac12 shows up and it becomes more of a half court game or if UCLA plays zone like everyone else has.
UCLA's zone is much better than their man to man.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Uggh. Hurts to lose, but you guys had an excellent game plan. Other factors were involved, but in the end, Alford sticking with man for so long, our inability to rebound, to defend the post, attacking IHam and Bryce defensively, and choosing to trail Bryce and Iham so tough, was just too much for us today. Ball was excellent, but I couldn't even pick who our second best player was this game, it was pretty bad for us otherwise. IIw ould have said if we score more than 80, we win easily. Oops. Can't do anything but tip your hat and just hope Alford works on rebounding a bit more. This puts UCLA behind the 8-ball in the PAC-12.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ucla sure as shit was in trouble today.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Hopefully they are getting ready to deploy the National Guard to quell the rioting that will be going on all across America as a result of this unthinkable upset.

Thankfully the media can transition from coverage of the Inauguration to discussing this shocker. Is is bigger than USA Hockey in 1980?

I would guess that should qualify as a quality win.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Harvey Specter wrote: Is is bigger than USA Hockey in 1980?

Do you believe in miracles?!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Enjoy your exile Beachcat.

I called it 1 week ago on your ass that we were winning this game.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Hopefully they are getting ready to deploy the National Guard to quell the rioting that will be going on all across America as a result of this unthinkable upset.

Thankfully the media can transition from coverage of the Inauguration to discussing this shocker. Is is bigger than USA Hockey in 1980?

To be fair, this was a pretty historical win as it's the first time Arizona has beaten a Top 10 UCLA team in Pauley. They were 0-16 before this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gotta play defense at some point and get stops, don't you "Coach" Alford?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

MrBug708 wrote:Uggh. Hurts to lose, but you guys had an excellent game plan. Other factors were involved, but in the end, Alford sticking with man for so long, our inability to rebound, to defend the post, attacking IHam and Bryce defensively, and choosing to trail Bryce and Iham so tough, was just too much for us today. Ball was excellent, but I couldn't even pick who our second best player was this game, it was pretty bad for us otherwise. IIw ould have said if we score more than 80, we win easily. Oops. Can't do anything but tip your hat and just hope Alford works on rebounding a bit more. This puts UCLA behind the 8-ball in the PAC-12.
Hamilton was pretty good in the 2nd half. Pretty much unstoppable for a good 7-10 minutes or more.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrBug708 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

To be fair, this was a pretty historical win as it's the first time Arizona has beaten a Top 10 UCLA team in Pauley. They were 0-16 before this.
No shit? We'll take it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Gotta play defense at some point and get stops, don't you "Coach" Alford?
Yep. Ucla is a pretty darn good team...just are dragged down by their coach.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

84Cat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Uggh. Hurts to lose, but you guys had an excellent game plan. Other factors were involved, but in the end, Alford sticking with man for so long, our inability to rebound, to defend the post, attacking IHam and Bryce defensively, and choosing to trail Bryce and Iham so tough, was just too much for us today. Ball was excellent, but I couldn't even pick who our second best player was this game, it was pretty bad for us otherwise. IIw ould have said if we score more than 80, we win easily. Oops. Can't do anything but tip your hat and just hope Alford works on rebounding a bit more. This puts UCLA behind the 8-ball in the PAC-12.
Hamilton was pretty good in the 2nd half. Pretty much unstoppable for a good 7-10 minutes or more.
We had closed the gap to two, then a terrible decision for GG to shoot a 3, Arizona came back hit a three, we had another bad shot by Bryce, another basket, then two turnovers by Holiday, and the lead was 8 again and the momentum was gone. But I was speaking more defensively, they were attacking both him and Bryce

Every time Ball would drive to the basket, Arizona didn't leave the perimeter. Ball would either score or pass it out, but nobody was open when they got the ball. Perfect game plan executed perfectly
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks bug, you ARE always a classy poster and I get a little unhinged in the in-game threads. its not personal.

Both are legit FF teams and today, we got the best of you. We were due.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

A great win and certainly an upset... but the way he posted it was an unequivocal impossibility because we were so inferior. (He did not seem to think we had a chance at McKale - suggesting we would go winless vs UCLA and UO).

PS - Thanks for the added color - I did not know that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great game and great analysis Bug. You might have lost the game but you won the war with Beachbitch LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Thanks bug, you ARE always a classy poster and I get a little unhinged in the in-game threads. its not personal.

Both are legit FF teams and today, we got the best of you. We were due.
Harvey Specter wrote: A great win and certainly an upset... but the way he posted it was an unequivocal impossibility because we were so inferior. (He did not seem to think we had a chance at McKale - suggesting we would go winless vs UCLA and UO).

PS - Thanks for the added color - I did not know that.
azcat49 wrote:Great game and great analysis Bug. You might have lost the game but you won the war with Beachbitch LOL
Someone just recently PM'ed me, apologizing for RC97, but he's truly never bothered me. When you make a name as the "respectful poster" on other boards, it cracks you me seeing posters try to rile people up. On. A. Message. Board. The new trollish thing to do is to take other takes and echo what they say. When pressed further, they always just disappear or hope someone else bails them out. I just laugh. I have a kid and all of this is just the small stuff. I don't need to be bothered by millennial always talking about how old they are.

I'm also not dumb enough to know the tone would be different had UCLA won ;)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm glad for you that RiversideBruin has never bothered you, Mr. Bug, but I'm still happy for you that he's gone forever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What I still can't understand is why UCLA's defense is so bad. The rim protection is pretty good, but that's about individual athleticism and timing. Bryce Alford is one of the worst defenders in Division 1, but I can't understand why the team defense generally can't do a little more in man-to-man. Is it primarily a coaching problem? And does the showcasing of Bryce send the wrong message to the team as a whole? UCLA's defense can't hold a candle to Cal or USC, let alone elite teams like Oregon. Is it possible to turn around something so bad a month into conference play?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote:What I still can't understand is why UCLA's defense is so bad. The rim protection is pretty good, but that's about individual athleticism and timing. Bryce Alford is one of the worst defenders in Division 1, but I can't understand why the team defense generally can't do a little more in man-to-man. Is it primarily a coaching problem? And does the showcasing of Bryce send the wrong message to the team as a whole? UCLA's defense can't hold a candle to Cal or USC, let alone elite teams like Oregon. Is it possible to turn around something so bad a month into conference play?
So I listened to Alford's postgame comments. It's not like they don't work on their D in fact he said basically that defensive breakdowns is what they work on a majority of the time in practice. It sounded like there is an overall lack of defensive trust collectively - he gave an example of the many isolations that occurred during the game that they never want to have happen.

At the end of the day it's on Alford to get the team to play collective defense and that's the difference between our coach and the one in Westwood.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If I looked at the defensive effort of the coach's son and how much playing time he gets, I would start to think that playing defense is not a requirement for getting time on the court.

As far as team defense, you are playing a team that has shown it struggles against basic zone defenses and yet you don't break out the 2-3 until there's 10 minutes left in the game even though you have a short bench? And then you abandon it three possessions later? Terrible coaching. They should have switched between man and zone all game long and tried to confuse Arizona as much as possible. Or maybe break out a zone the Cats hadn't seen. Maybe a box-&-1 on Lauri.

The notion that Alford watched film and prepared his team for this game is hard to fathom for me. Felt like he told them, "Lonzo, you do your thing. Bryce, keep shooting. If Leaf gets open try to get it to him. The rest of you clear out and don't get in their way..."
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Good points Chi.

But I actually thought Alford wanted to set the tempo of the game by running man-to-man and get the game fast paced which is what they prefer. He just underestimated our offensive capabilities and overestimated his team's ability to get stops.

He finally went to zone but as you said by that point it was too late and then he had no choice when they were chasing possessions at the end of the game.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

It seems like this thread needs a memorial service for BC97.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Good points Chi.

But I actually thought Alford wanted to set the tempo of the game by running man-to-man and get the game fast paced which is what they prefer. He just underestimated our offensive capabilities and overestimated his team's ability to get stops.

He finally went to zone but as you said by that point it was too late and then he had no choice when they were chasing possessions at the end of the game.
I think you're right about him wanting to set tempo, but I haven't seen any evidence he gives a crap about getting stops. His attitude seems to be that if they get a 3 and the other team gets a 2, they win.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bryce should have transferred for himself, his father, and UCLA. As UCLA fans have been saying since before the media started celebrated this year's team, all three are in trouble and this team isn't as good as its offense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think UCLA's philosophy is to get up more shots than the other team and they will win.

They thought they would have much less turnovers at a quicker tempo and they did not

They thought they could at minimum neutralize the rebounding totals and we crushed them on the glass.

This should be a wake up call for them and it will be interesting how they react to it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:If I looked at the defensive effort of the coach's son and how much playing time he gets, I would start to think that playing defense is not a requirement for getting time on the court.

As far as team defense, you are playing a team that has shown it struggles against basic zone defenses and yet you don't break out the 2-3 until there's 10 minutes left in the game even though you have a short bench? And then you abandon it three possessions later? Terrible coaching. They should have switched between man and zone all game long and tried to confuse Arizona as much as possible. Or maybe break out a zone the Cats hadn't seen. Maybe a box-&-1 on Lauri.

The notion that Alford watched film and prepared his team for this game is hard to fathom for me. Felt like he told them, "Lonzo, you do your thing. Bryce, keep shooting. If Leaf gets open try to get it to him. The rest of you clear out and don't get in their way..."
I agree about playing zone more often. Alford could have also been worried about our offensive rebounding and, thus, hesitated in breaking out the zone.

I also think the tone was set from our opening possession when we ran "thumbs up" and Allen gets an easy bucket. I knew right then either UCLA was not properly prepared and/or really don't want to play defense.
Last edited by Frybry02 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

So here's what I'm curious about. We provided a pretty good blueprint on beating UCLA. Let Ball get his but eliminate the easy shots for everyone else. Selectively crash the glass. Take easy baskets but slow it down otherwise.

Will other teams beat UCLA now? I feel like you still need the amount of talent that we have on our roster, and that UCLA will be able to outrun teams without that level of talent. What do you guys think?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Oregon might be there only other team that could get them besides us at least in conference. You can bet come tourney time the tape of this game will be an important blueprint
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Other teams will beat them, but not sure if it will be the same way. I imagine they'll lose on the road once because their shooting will go cold.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:
That's a pretty good comparison I think. I'm kind of surprised they've made so many tournaments, but the thing that comes to mind is that the biggest level of success was all in a 3 year span, while ours is spread out through the years. The thing that jumps out is the number of All Americans, wow.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And since Lute came we're 38-34 against them.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

prh wrote:So here's what I'm curious about. We provided a pretty good blueprint on beating UCLA. Let Ball get his but eliminate the easy shots for everyone else. Selectively crash the glass. Take easy baskets but slow it down otherwise.

Will other teams beat UCLA now? I feel like you still need the amount of talent that we have on our roster, and that UCLA will be able to outrun teams without that level of talent. What do you guys think?
Utah had the blueprint, they just didn't execute well