Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: Sean Miller

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Sean looks good cutting down that net and wearing that hat...too bad the the Pac-3 Tournament is the only time he does those things in March every year lol

OVERRATED COACH IS OVERRATED
With half a season from Trier and nothing from Ray Smith along with a chronically injured PJC and the eternal handicap of the conference officials?

No, stupid poster is stupid.
And right the officials are ALWAYS against Arizona..except that horrendous charging call and ball off Comanche's fingers lol. Don't be such a homer, every fucking college basketball fan is the same about the refs...get real.
First of all, there's actual reason to believe that conference officials during Larry Scott's tenure are anti-Miller, even if an anti-Arizona conspiracy is ridiculous (which it is). Secondly, nobody here is saying the refs are anti-Arizona. The problem is that all the whistles and terrible calls work against the team that's gained the upper hand and is looking to capitalize on momentum. That team tends to be Arizona.
I see what you did there
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:This post from the game thread was Rise&Fart's last one of the night. Came with 16 minutes left in the first half.
RiseAndFire wrote:here we go talking about the timeout catfight instead of just the win. say what you will but Lute would never pull a stunt like that
True fan that guy. Really pulling for the team. Must be too ecstatic to post.

He never responded to my reply that Lute did something very similar when he pointed to the scoreboard.
sorry, that bullshit comparison doesn't fly here. in no way are the two similar

the "scoreboard point" I think you're referring to was subtly directed at ASU hecklers for invoking the name of Bobbi Olson (RIP)

Lute's was not an overt, high-profile, rub-it-in-your-face to the opposing coach and players in response to some total childish non-issue from a previous game that nobody here even commented on. Look at the board, there is literally not a single post complaining about Alford's timeout when it happened. Why? because adults act like adults and you take your loss and move on

going forward

Im actually thinking this could be the Arizona team to make the FF. There's enough sheer talent that can actually shoot instead of our usual unbalanced defensive-centric team that can't score. As long as Lauri and the guards keep up the 3 ball there is no defense that can stop them.

I can see us in the title game with UCLA - and what a storyline that would be...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Oh my word, Lute totally would have done what Miller did. I'm surprised that anyone would think otherwise. And the notion that it was "childish" is such a willful take. The problem with what Alford did was 1) it made no sense strategy-wise, and 2) he didn't apologize immediately and publicly. This is why Lute was publicly furious with a walk-on (Fil Torres) who took and made a shot on a final possession with the game in hand in 2004. Everything you do at the end of a game when your team has a win in hand is a gesture to the opposing team and the opposing coach. Every college coach D1 to D3 understands that, and so do his players. What Alford did was place Miller in a compromising spot with his own players. It was a punk move.

You just hate Miller, and that's your own agenda that everybody here knows, and you have to live with it as a poster no matter what handle you use.
Last edited by Longhorned on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Now I only got to witness Lute as our coach for about 5 of his 29 seasons but based on what I saw then and have heard and seen about years before he ABSOLUTELY would have done the same thing as Sean.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We need better trolls.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Oh my word, Lute totally would have done what Miller did. I'm surprised that anyone would think otherwise. And the notion that it was "childish" is such a willful take. The problem with what Alford did was 1) it made no sense strategy-wise, and 2) he didn't apologize immediately and publicly. This is why Lute was publicly furious with a walk-on (Fil Torres) who took and made a shot on a final possession with the game in hand in 2004. Everything you do at the end of a game when your team has a win in hand is a gesture to the opposing team and the opposing coach. Every college coach D1 to D3 understands that, and so do his players. What Alford did was place Miller in a compromising spot with his own players. It was a punk move.

You just hate Miller, and that's your own agenda that everybody here knows, and you have to live with it as a poster no matter what handle you use.
In baseball, when a pitcher throws at one of your players and is first up to bat the next inning, where's the pitch going?

Calling a retaliation timeout is a pretty benign form of striking back at an opponent. All you really need to know about how Arizona players took Alford's timeout is how our players respondex to Miller's timeout. There's nothing wrong with sticking up for your guys, and it's clear how players took Alford's TO.

I was raised in an era where if an opponent took a cheap shot, there was no issue with putting him on the floor hard the next time he tried to go the basket. Sorry, your guys matter more than brownnosing another coach.

Also, I tend to agree Lute would have no issue with this, but Arizona basketball isn't a "What Would Lute Do" decision making matrix. Miller is our coach, and hopefully will be for a long time. This is his program, and he needs to make that decision on his own. Lute isn't God, and Miller should never be put in a place of trying to imitate. Lute himself has been good about letting Miller be Miller.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:Oh my word, Lute totally would have done what Miller did. I'm surprised that anyone would think otherwise. And the notion that it was "childish" is such a willful take. The problem with what Alford did was 1) it made no sense strategy-wise, and 2) he didn't apologize immediately and publicly. This is why Lute was publicly furious with a walk-on (Fil Torres) who took and made a shot on a final possession with the game in hand in 2004. Everything you do at the end of a game when your team has a win in hand is a gesture to the opposing team and the opposing coach. Every college coach D1 to D3 understands that, and so do his players. What Alford did was place Miller in a compromising spot with his own players. It was a punk move.

scumdevils86 wrote:Now I only got to witness Lute as our coach for about 5 of his 29 seasons but based on what I saw then and have heard and seen about years before he ABSOLUTELY would have done the same thing as Sean.
Lute would have said something about it at the post-game presser at minimum. I agree, nothing childish about it. It was a low-class timeout by Alford and when served in redemption and a middle finger, Miller's is neither low class or childish. You don't show up the other team. You don't show up the other team if you and the other team are renowned programs. Most of all, you don't do the aforementioned on a team's home floor in front of their home crowd. What Miller did was the self-policing you see in sports, it's "street justice." It was laying out the receiver who laid a cheap block on a DB, or a pitcher protecting a teammate with a retaliatory bean ball. What he did to Kadeem shows that, and of course there is going to be personal incentive, Alford was f-cking with Miller's kids to throw a jab at Miller.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

All this shit had nothing to do with fans or what we thought or felt about either of those moments. It had everything to do with the dudes in the lockeroom and their relationship with their coach. That it. Miller showed the guys that he has their back at all times, and critics be damned. It was a genius move on his part IMO.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:We need better trolls.
No kidding, we gotta bring this board mainstream.

Look here's the thing with Alford's timeout, 1. He actually did it for strategic purposes and he's too dumb of a coach to know he already had the game wrapped up as it was impossible for Arizona to score 5 points in 2 seconds or 2. He did it to be a pompous prick and show off.

There's no other option here and while I don't think highly of Steve Alford as a head basketball coach, I certainly don't believe he's stupid enough to take a timeout in that circumstance to "get his defense set." UCLA has done more negative recruiting on Arizona than any other program in the country and Sean Miller is fully aware of that. Retaliation was always coming and this in all honesty is as minor of that form as you can get. It was an eye for an eye and in no way are these two coaches "even" now based on what is going on off the court.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:We need better trolls.
yeah just having sit and shit and fuegs is a little sad and tiring.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I'm in Eugene, so most of my friends are Ducks. Talked to three to four about the TO and every response was basically "good riddance, F Steve Alford." This was followed by them theorizing that this would never happen between Miller and Altman, which I agree with.

Alford took a victory lap after a big win. Miller threw it back in his face. It's not nearly the big deal that some make it out to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RaisingArizona wrote:I'm in Eugene, so most of my friends are Ducks. Talked to three to four about the TO and every response was basically "good riddance, F Steve Alford." This was followed by them theorizing that this would never happen between Miller and Altman, which I agree with.

Alford took a victory lap after a big win. Miller threw it back in his face. It's not nearly the big deal that some make it out to be.
Thanks for nothing, you big can of beans.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... =33&t=4295" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RaisingArizona wrote:I'm in Eugene, so most of my friends are Ducks. Talked to three to four about the TO and every response was basically "good riddance, F Steve Alford." This was followed by them theorizing that this would never happen between Miller and Altman, which I agree with.

Altman and Miller certainly have great respect for one another. That goes for on the court and off of it. If any thing like what happened between Alford/Miller occurred it would've been apologized for immediately as one of the coach's would have seriously dropped the ball and admitted to it publicly. The same obviously can not be said for Miller/Alford.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Sorry, Longhorned. I believe that your from Chicago so relative to what you are accustomed to, the short answer would have been no. Beer and wine on the other hand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think that's correct. Oregon smoked us on the road and Miller showed nothing but respect there, then again, nothing but respect after we got them back in the Pac.

The UCLA thing is deeper and has been boiling for a while. Losing guys like Leaf to them and Alford's relationship with the Compton Magic seems like an underlying issue. I do not claim to be an insider, but Miller had recruited areas that Alford immediately tried to get in on, and that seems to have set the tone.

Miller hasn't had a real rivalry with any other coach (even killing one after Hurley's "go to Tucson"). Alford is different, and I can't see it as an accident.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RaisingArizona wrote:Sorry, Longhorned. I believe that your from Chicago so relative to what you are accustomed to, the short answer would have been no. Beer and wine on the other hand.
I live on the prairie. Loved the food at the Excelsior. That's where U Oregon people took me to dinner.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

We don't actually have to guess if Lute would have done something so trifling because in 29 seasons he never did
(He once stuck it to some ASU hecklers for invoking Bobbi's name - justified and not remotely even close to the same.)

Strange that none of the Miller-humpers here all over my shit can point to *any* posts they made mentioning Alfords timeout, complaining about it, feeling disrespected about it. Chicat, LH, eebs, where are your posts complaining about Alfords "victory lap" timeout that so wronged the sanctity of Senior Day at McKale that you vowed eternal revenge on UCLA?

oh that's right there are none, so wierd!

im done with this topic until you can provide me posts/stories etc from any source about Alfords supposed "victory lap" timeout
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

RiseAndFire wrote:We don't actually have to guess if Lute would have done something so trifling because in 29 seasons he never did
(He once stuck it to some ASU hecklers for invoking Bobbi's name - justified and not remotely even close to the same.)

Strange that none of the Miller-humpers here all over my shit can point to *any* posts they made mentioning Alfords timeout, complaining about it, feeling disrespected about it. Chicat, LH, eebs, where are your posts complaining about Alfords "victory lap" timeout that so wronged the sanctity of Senior Day at McKale that you vowed eternal revenge on UCLA?

im done with this topic until you can provide me posts/stories etc from any source about Alfords supposed "victory lap" timeout
we're all waiting for you to leave and to be "done".

please go.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

so stop responding?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:We don't actually have to guess if Lute would have done something so trifling because in 29 seasons he never did

Did you really just threaten us with being quiet and not posting anymore about this?

Hey man, do what you gotta do. I can definitely see where you're coming from. If I were you, I'd refuse to ever post on this board again until someone provides you the proof you need. That would really show us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RiseAndFire wrote: Strange that none of the Miller-humpers here all over my shit can point to *any* posts they made mentioning Alfords timeout, complaining about it, feeling disrespected about it. Chicat, LH, eebs, where are your posts complaining about Alfords "victory lap" timeout that so wronged the sanctity of Senior Day at McKale that you vowed eternal revenge on UCLA?
Since I'm named as a Miller-humper all over your shit*, I walked away from the TV after Bryce made the first free throw to make it a four point game. I'm not on the team. I didn't have to stand on the court in front of my relatives through the duration of the timeout before the buzzer mercifully sounded.

---------
* That's the best thing I've ever read on the internet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm hurt not to be named a Miller humper. Is it because I'm unpretty and he doesn't want me?

If you need proof, look at the team's reaction to the TO for what it meant to them. I'd rather have SM inspiring loyalty with his players than catering to fans like you.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Space is right. He hasnt had any issues w pretty much any other coach in the conference and only a couple minor things w a couple others, and we have had some pains in the ass in this conference over the years.. Miller goes out of his way to say great things about all opposing coaches and teams. There is a mutual respect, and it is painfully obvious that Miller isnt the only pac 12 coach that thinks Alford is a cocksucker. He was not liked in the mountain west either.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Here's Alford setting his defense as TJ Leaf smirks at the Arizona bench
http://allsportstucson.com/2017/03/12/a ... otherwise/" target="_blank

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good For You wrote:Here's Alford setting his defense as TJ Leaf smirks at the Arizona bench

Thanks for this. Clarifies the to at the 1.2 sec mark.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well PJC sure let the UCLA bench know how he felt. Watch the video and watch him throw not 1 but 2 FU'S at UCLA
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good For You wrote:Here's Alford setting his defense as TJ Leaf smirks at the Arizona bench

He did a great job setting up his D to guard against the 5 point play. Masterful coaching move from a real class act.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And if he was being truthful then he is just a straight dumb ass moron of a coach. But we all know he was showing Miller and our program up
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azcat49 wrote:Well PJC sure let the UCLA bench know how he felt. Watch the video and watch him throw not 1 but 2 FU'S at UCLA

At what time did PJ do it. (narrow it down if you know) Toward the end of the TO or before?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:And if he was being truthful then he is just a straight dumb ass moron of a coach. But we all know he was showing Miller and our program up
Exactly. If he really needed to set up his D for a meaningless inbound with no time left, then he's too stupid to coach my kid's under-5 YMCA team.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Exactly. If he really needed to set up his D for a meaningless inbound with no time left, then he's too stupid to coach my kid's under-5 YMCA team.
in all fairness, thats some kinda team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The pjc fu's are awesome. Toward the beginning of the to
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Anyone who does not think Alford is a complete POS as an opponent needs to crawl back under Bobby Hurleys ball sack and keep licking until you understand...at least Hurley owns his shit...Alford is weak...always will be. that is his entire coaching strategy, blame it on your perspective..."Oh I was trying to set my defense up"...anyone who believes that is a complete moron.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

where's the miller humping line?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

azcat49 wrote:Well PJC sure let the UCLA bench know how he felt. Watch the video and watch him throw not 1 but 2 FU'S at UCLA
Pjc is the man. Def my fav player on this team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

scumdevils86 wrote:where's the miller humping line?
I always tell my wife that if she had an affair with two particular men, I wouldn't even be mad at her as long as she got me an autograph or gave me a hall pass. Those two men are Christian Bale and Sean Miller.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote: Exactly. If he really needed to set up his D for a meaningless inbound with no time left, then he's too stupid to coach my kid's under-5 YMCA team.
in all fairness, thats some kinda team.
Might give ASU a run for their money.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Need to set that D up 5 with 1.2 seconds to play? What a liar. The only possible defense is incredible stupidity.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

HiCat wrote:

At what time did PJ do it. (narrow it down if you know) Toward the end of the TO or before?

Right after Miller threw the ball I think was the first FU, then after Miller gets done with Kadeem was the second if I remember correctly. Just classic
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Need to set that D up 5 with 1.2 seconds to play? What a liar. The only possible defense is incredible stupidity.
The total sad thing in all of this is I don't put it past him one bit. He might be that stupid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:Is it true that in Tucson it was a 5 point game when the TO was called? I don't remember it being a thing at all and not a word about this great offense in the game thread

Seriously there's nothing gangsta about calling a to when the other team has conceded - it's just petty and bad sportsmanship. Embarrassing moment on an otherwise great night/win
How did I miss this post earlier?

Seriously, just go root for another team. One where the coach plays 2-3 and doesn't stick up for his players because he's trying to suck up to the coach of our main competitive rival (ASU doesn't count).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

For anybody who doesn't think Alford's TO was a big deal to the Cats and that he's not a lying sack of shit read Javier Morales' article:

http://allsportstucson.com/2017/03/12/a ... otherwise/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It's only bad for Az because LA decided to care about 1 game and ignored all the other events. Miller has that teams back. It will pay off. Miller doesn't care anymore. He is going for the kill
prh

Post by prh »

Seems like this is useful to somebody here
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:Strange that none of the Miller-humpers here all over my shit can point to *any* posts they made mentioning Alfords timeout, complaining about it, feeling disrespected about it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The NIT just makes me so sad. It's like staying at the Days Inn.
az91

Post by az91 »

Longhorned wrote:The NIT just makes me so sad. It's like staying at the Days Inn.
More like Motel 6, LOL.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

You obviously don't have a fucking clue what Lute did in his 29 seasons here. He was not the way many would have you believe.

How about when he refused to shake K's hand after the 2001 Natty game?
Or when he responded to a (portly) UO heckler as he walked off Mac Court with a recommendation of a gym he should join?
Or when we were playing Ole Miss in the NCAA tourney and someone suggested that Rob Evans was giving the Rebs tips on how to play the Cats and he said "What is he going to tell them. Did you see our games vs ASU this year?" (We waxed them both times)
Or when he barbed a few Duke players (and he and K got into it as a result) during a regular season game?
How about when he kept calling Bruce Pascoe "Colombo" during a presser?

Despite what people want to remember about Lute, he could be petty as hell... And most of the time - I LOVED IT! He was a competitor whose fire got the best of him sometimes. Bobbi kept him in check... But he was WAY more thin-skinned than Miller. Not even close.

Miller is generally very gracious & restrained - He is a very classy dude... But he'll pull out a switchblade when he needs to - and I would not have it any other way.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Listen, I really like most of the posters here but why do you guys argue with a tool like SquatAndPee? It's like stepping in crap....you can mush the hell out of it but you're still left with a dirty shoe....put that tool on ignore instead :-).

Anyways, back to Miller-humping.....I loved / love Lute and there's no comparison to that legend BUT with the internet and getting to hear CSM speak....I keep getting more and more enthralled with the Dude.....I get why big time recruits who are chased by everyone commit to him, 'A Player's Program' as he IS 'A Player's Coach'.

Love, love, love Miller....pisses me off when these dbags from other programs dump on him unfairly.....I know most of them are just envious.

Thank God for Miller! BTFD.