Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Harvey Specter »

AztoCa wrote:Miller Wikipedia page got the savage treatment

https://www.google.com/amp/www.azdesert ... ent-losses

Also interesting to hear Kentucky's fans thoughts on Miller as they are fairly knowlegable
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... er.231062/
Might be the first time that I have heared the terms 'Kentucky' and 'knowledgeable' used in the same sentence. Them sure do sound intellectuated.

Get off the fucking fan train.

This notion that one extra win makes the difference between a great coach and a marginal one is fucking ridiculous,

Especially from a bunch of fans who are nowhere near the top 3% of their chosen profession, but this board sure has a lot of people who are legends in their own mind.
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

Might be the first time that I have heared the terms 'Kentucky' and 'knowledgeable' used in the same sentence. Them sure do sound intellectuated.
No really no joke Kentucky fans really are the most knowlegable College Baskeball fan's they know a lot about all the top teams. ( College basketball nation )
may the Bear Be Down! :D
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

I like Miller I think he does almost everything right.

But A funny thing I notice about him is he says everything is "Hard"
It really "Hard" to go practice
It's "Hard" to win a game you got to grind it out
It's "Hard" to get to a sweet sixteen we are lucky to get there most teams can't do it
It's "Hard" to recruit in a private jet

Saying it's "Hard" programs your unconscious mind to make things harder. Almost like you don't deserve it

Also "Hard" is not a concreate word it is a subjective adjatiave that can be interpreted many ways by the subconscious mind.
- maybe if he said to win you have to play "intense" "precise" & "together"
-or better yet "just do it"
-why add another layer of conflict to your unconsious mind?

My Point is if Jordan thought this way there is no way he could win 6 titles
The Highest Most Succesful People in the world don't think everything is "Hard"

PS
I have been a AZ fan the whole time and I just want to win. No coach is above playing some zone.

Here is to AZ breaking through next year wining it all!
may the Bear Be Down! :D
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

One poster said Miller is stubborn, and another said he will go to multiple final 4s for North Carolina.

I disagree with both.

I saw changes in Miller this year. Subtle differences and a shift from do anything to win to just be at your best..... That is the mindset of a champion, and I thought this year's team would be in Phoenix.

The reason why this loss hurts so much, the talent difference between Xavier and Arizona was sickening. Great job Miller on building a great roster.

The problem with Miller, and the reason why he will NEVER win the biggest game of his life (and never attend a final 4 here or at NC or wherever) his tendency to micro manage. Micro management destroys "identity" and freedom, freedom to create. Look at the players down the stretch, they looked lost.

Once Miller makes this final change, he will be cutting down the nets in April. Let go, we live in a world of opposites, caring too much, taking too much control, actually achieves the opposite result - in this case, losing the game that matters.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Exactly what micromanaging did he do down the stretch? Miller had the wrong personnel out on the floor. If you want to get on him for timeout management, fine. But players still need to play. Last night is a haze so I have some of the details off, I apologize.

Heres what I saw (and im not absolving blame from Miller): After a miserable start by Trier, both sides of ball, he heats up and scores all 15 of Arizona's points playing hero ball. Unfortunately, that means his team has been watching that whole time and are ice cold and the offense has no rhythm (Kobe Bryant effect). Of course, w the teammates cold and no flow to the offense becaus its been all Trier ISO, we start focusing on burning clock and dont start our offense til too late in the shot clock and its a disaster becuase we are doing that against our favorite, zone. Lot of standing around. No sense of urgency.

Think both of those late threes were off long Zo misses. Think he was the one who got burned on the first 3 too because of poor defense. The rest is history. Of course Lauri doesnt get a look for last 11 minutes. Trier completely hijacked the game, for better or worse. Can u blame Miller for that? Probably. But it was evident, Trier was going to decide that outcome and if you put yourself im that position, you better fucking deliver.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Get off the fucking fan train.

This notion that one extra win makes the difference between a great coach and a marginal one is fucking ridiculous,

Especially from a bunch of fans who are nowhere near the top 3% of their chosen profession, but this board sure has a lot of people who are legends in their own mind.
Harvey, you're getting a little schitzophrenic in your treatment of Miller vs. RichRod. Consistency is important toward establishing credibility.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

rgdeuce:

Micro management is a culture. It creates an "up tight" tense environment. I saw one analyst talk about why he wasn't going to pick Arizona out of the west because despite Arizona having the most talented roster, the players get tight. You can't be at your best when you are "tight". We have seen this script over and over again in the tourney.

But again, I saw some great changes this year. Despite the criticism, the .9 timeout was genius. To be a great manager, you have to care for your team. He showed great care. The last step to unlock his great potential is to just let go of the players, and stop over managing every little detail. I have seen this over and over again in business too. The great managers develop and then let go. Sean needs to let go. It is common for "young" coaches/managers or whatever do this. I do believe he will learn, and make the changes necessary, but if he doesn't, I don't care where he coaches, he will never go to a final 4.

I loved that he took blame for this loss. I didn't like the fact that he blamed the players for letting 2 3s go wide open. The biggest problem is the culture he sets not specific break downs. It's the reason why he is labeled the most talented to coach to never go to a final 4.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The "uptight" angle is one of the most overplayed things on this site. Miller doesnt beat these kids, play D/team ball or come out is not a new concept, and they have all seen Millers intensity w a coach before.
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

rgdeuce wrote:The "uptight" angle is one of the most overplayed things on this site. Miller doesnt beat these kids, play D/team ball or come out is not a new concept, and they have all seen Millers intensity w a coach before.
I disagree......The stunt he pulled on Tarc last year (mental beating, public embarrassment, if he was pissed at Tarc for back talking just sit him the rest of the game), uncalled for (you praise in public, and coach in private), and it is not just this board, some of the brightest minds in basketball have this take as well.

Study the great coaches, and study their philosophy - study how they won championships. Study the Chinese Tao Te Ching, it has the blueprint for great management. Sean is a great recruiter, but needs to change his management style to deliver the final 4. I saw some changes this year, but he needs to change the culture, or else this will continue into eternity.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Merkin wrote:
He surely does not deserve hate. But he does deserve criticism. He even rightfully took the blame.

It's just the same script over and over again.

There was a story about a golfer, really pissed that he kept going into the rough. He went a guru, and the guru said you are actually right there! Confused, he said how, I am so far from the green! The guru says, I see your swing, and you are just a tiny fraction to the right, here, adjust your swing, and let's see what happens. The golfer adjust his swing, by the slightest amount, and then, brilliantly was in the green.

We are so close, we just need an adjustment. The hyper intensity, constantly screaming, coaching, intervening, trying to "will" the course of action, is a failed approach. Teach, Sean is a brilliant basketball technician. This is why the top talent arrives. But teach, and then get out of the way!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Slappy wrote: But teach, and then get out of the way!
Lute had more than his share of flameouts too, but that's one thing I liked about him, he figured he taught the players well enough that they can figure out how to win just from his coaching.

Don't remember Lute ever running out of timeouts, and more often than not, he would not call a timeout to setup a end of game play, he would just let his players play what he taught them.

Recall reading many years ago when UCLA in the PAC-8 played Arizona in the WAC. Wooden didn't even scout Arizona, he just had his players play their game. Of course when you have a NBA roster and playing a mid-major...
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Merkin wrote:
Slappy wrote: But teach, and then get out of the way!
Lute had more than his share of flameouts too, but that's one thing I liked about him, he figured he taught the players well enough that they can figure out how to win just from his coaching.

Don't remember Lute ever running out of timeouts, and more often than not, he would not call a timeout to setup a end of game play, he would just let his players play what he taught them.

Recall reading many years ago when UCLA in the PAC-8 played Arizona in the WAC. Wooden didn't even scout Arizona, he just had his players play their game. Of course when you have a NBA roster and playing a mid-major...
Yes, there is great risk with the teach and let go approach. There will be some loses, some major learning events. But once it comes together, the joy, satisfaction, and personal sense of accomplishments is a feeling like no other. 1997 was a feeling unlike anything I have had following sports. A micro managed approach, the players get lost, tense, the joy is lost. The goal is to be at our best, we can't get there without joy. The timeout observation is a good one and speaks to this.

Things take time, Sean is learning each step of the way, I fully expect he will get this corrected.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I am starting to long for the days of a free flowing offense. With our talent I envision the UNC team that won it all with Wayne Ellington stroking threes and just putting up points on motherfuckers. It's not like we didn't have the right players, plenty of our guys can score.

Kobi was amazing in the beginning of the year. Initially I thought he could be a guy who could get us a clutch iso bucket down the stretch in the tourney but he went to the doghouse for lack of defense or whatever it may be.

I don't want to sound spoiled, and I love Miller as much as my family, but we should be blowing out a team like Xavier when we are 32-4, ranked 3rd in the country, primed for a F4 in our backyard.

Maybe we do need a stud PG. I dunno. If I had the answers I'd be making millions.
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Remember Mike Stoops? The rage and "panic" attacks he would have on the sidelines. This is a sign of fear. His teams played scared in the big moments, and choked. Oregon 2009.

Miller is so much smarter, no comparison there, but his team's play scared in the biggest moments, instead of loose, and free.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Way too measured and logical AG. Going to need you to spit some hot shit like "Miller is a choker and couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack" if we're going to see you on Around the Horn one of these days.

;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone have a link to the pressor? In need to see this for closure.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I dont buy into any of the talk about Miller being too tough, guys playing scared, guys being too uptight in big situations, Miller micromanages, etc. I can pop off a longer list of guys cut from the same cloth as Miller who have had success than I can come up with a list of Phil Jacksons and John Woodens. The reality is, Miller fits within the norm of coaching, shit just jumps out at us because we only care when we lose and when it means us not getting to a final four. As fans, we hyperfocus on our own and mostly the negative. There needs to be perspective. Last night, Arizona shit the bed. That goes for most of the team and Miller himself. Quite frankly, it was the first game where I stood back and thought to myself, "Wow, Miller really fucked that one up." He has had isolated games where he has been out-couched by some very good coaches, but generally speaking, Miller is usually on point and can be downright masterful at times. His teams are almost always tough and prepared. He has now lost three times in the elite 8. Three can be attributed to bad luck/misfortune/just not being our night, but this one, a sweet 16 game, certainly constitutes as a stinker and goes down among Arizona's most disappointing losses. But that shit happens. It happens to Coach K, Pitino, and Calipari, but they aren't us and we aren't emotionally invested in those programs and looking at every detail with a magnifying glass.

Here are some legitimate gripes I have had with Miller in the past and that played out last night. No knee-jerk reaction, these are things I have noticed/have been bugging me for a while. No coach is perfect, and hopefully Miller identifies these and some other areas none of us may see and he can continue to grow as a coach. He is without a doubt in my mind one of the 5 best coaches in the country with or without a final four.

- Miller needs to decide what the offensive philosophy is and stick with it. Specifically and as brief as possible: If the motto is "open man gets the ball," we cant have Allonzo Triers and Gabe Yorks completely hijacking the offense to take whatever shots they want. Obviously, in certain situations guys need to go Nick Johnson and if a Trier or York has the hot hand, by all means. But we are always too talented and too deep to have our one "guy" for the season completely take us out of games when the defense is hell bent on stopping them or on an off night. Absolutely no excuse for Lauri to play the background in that game, or for Trier to dominate the ball so much that guys are cold AND standing around because that is all they have had to do for the entire half. You cant expect guys to just flip on the switch. This was the same issue the Lakers had years back with Kobe. On the flipside, if Miller is fine with a guy playing hero ball (he has let two in two straight seasons) or we have some really big weapons (ie Trier and Lauri), then it is time for him to understand that he needs to take a different approach and actually develop plays and a style that allows the big players to get better shots. Otherwise, we run into big lulls, killed ball and player movement, etc. Which leads into part two: if it really is open man takes the shot and a Zo or a York are doing their own thing, that shit needs to be addressed. I understand some guys get a longer leash, but you cant let it get too out of control.

- Rotations/substitution patterns: This is my biggest gripe. Im not sure if Miller is handling these himself and drawing them out beforehand, or if his assistants are handling subs, but Jesus Christ. Too many times Miller yanks guys before they get into a rhythm. Too many times Miller has the wrong group of guys out there at the wrong time, the wrong combinations of guys, or is not letting the game itself dictate who his personnel are on the floor. I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO ISSUES with him yanking dudes who dont want to defend, or rebound, or who take bad shots, dont hustle, etc. But, if a team is zoning you and you are struggling to penetrate the zone and not hitting your outside shots, it really isnt wise to have a Pinder, a guy with a fractured finger who has missed badly all game, and a 5'2" guy who cant get a shot off unless he is wide open on the floor together. Especially when Lauri is 1-6 from deep and has a track record of shying away if his shot is not falling. That leaves Trier as the only viable outside shooter, on a night where he was up and down and was shooting most of those in the 2nd half off self creation. If a team is killing us with pick and roll, Ristic shouldnt be out on the floor. If we are in crunch time and the team is converting on their end and we are stuggling on our end, and it is tied, it makes no fucking sense to put Dusan in the fucking game when you know he is the source of most of your defensive breakdowns.

-Programs overall philosophy matching what is on the floor the most: I get that we are a defensive minded team and that is fine. But if that is the case, defensive teams shouldnt have a defensive liability on the floor as much as he has some of ours. I get needs and trying to find a balance, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see 1) Dusan is a liability a lot of the time as an interior defender, and 2) Dusan is one of the worst pick and roll defenders I have ever seen, and between that and his poor decision making, slow feet and response time, and being out of position a lot, he is a cancer to the defense. He puts everyone else in vulnerable positions and makes their jobs harder because of his incompetence. Meanwhile, Chance Comanche is growing roots on the bench despite playing the pick and roll and defense in general pretty well the whole game and most of the second half of the season. People are quick to throw out "well Dusan had 17 points" but ignore the fact that Pinder himself would have had 10 in Dusan's shoes because of how easy a lot of those looks were. Dusan had about 3 field goals off great moves/tough shots, (he also missed 3 or 4 of those tough shots he had no business taking). Dusan's offense rarely negates what he gives up defensively, including what teammates give up because he puts them in shitty spots, and his rebounding. If Miller wants to keep the defense first mentality that is 100 percent fine, your players or at least their minutes and when they are in should match that a bit more.

- Zone: Miller makes millions, he can figure this out on his own because I have absolutely no clue. It defies logic. But something needs to be done. We have discussed this to death and I dont have a clue what the hell is going on, nor can I throw out how to fix it. We cannot let zones be our kryptonite just about every freaking year. It makes us too easy to send home early.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone have a link to the pressor? In need to see this for closure.
AG did above in his article.
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Nice post rgdeuce and I agree with some of it.

The coaches you list Jackson and Wooden let the players be free within their systems to run the show. Listen to Bill Walton gush about Wooden and the freedom he gave his players, and the results obviously speak for themselves.

There are just too many big game letdowns. Others have the same remarks about Miller's style. 97cats blames the lack of a real PG, but we were just fine in the regular season, and PAC12 tourney, we dominated the team with a generational "good" PG.

His talent is not the issue, he needs to let go, you don't lose this many close big tourney games, unless your culture is wrong. It's good enough to get there, but he just needs a change, we need our players playing like Oregon vs Michigan, loose, free, fearless.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

He'll break that ceiling (or is it a roof) and get his title. This is the same nonsense they say about all good coaches until they do. Just like Mark Few potentially making his first Final Four. Roy went through it. Self went through it. Jay Wright went through it. Donovan went through it....etc.

That said: I'm looking for 3 tickets to the FF if anyone is selling.

TIA
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

enfuego wrote:He'll break that ceiling (or is it a roof) and get his title. This is the same nonsense they say about all good coaches until they do. Just like Mark Few potentially making his first Final Four. Roy went through it. Self went through it. Jay Wright went through it. Donovan went through it....etc.

TIA
I agree with you, once some adjustments are made. That is life, making mistakes, learning, changing, growing.

We are very lucky to have Miller, he rebuilt our program from a dumpster fire and saved us from some 20+ loss seasons and real misery. He gets the top recruits because they want to learn from him.

Congrats to Kansas on a great season.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Chicat wrote:
Way too measured and logical AG. Going to need you to spit some hot shit like "Miller is a choker and couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack" if we're going to see you on Around the Horn one of these days.

;)
Too high a bar for me. I'm only "Sportsradio 1290 good."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:He'll break that ceiling (or is it a roof) and get his title. This is the same nonsense they say about all good coaches until they do. Just like Mark Few potentially making his first Final Four. Roy went through it. Self went through it. Jay Wright went through it. Donovan went through it....etc.

TIA
Thanks for the very cordial and sensical post. If you are legit looking for 3 tickets to the FF let me know, I have a good buddy who has tickets (4 I believe) who may be looking to get rid of them now for obvious reasons. They're not OMG awesome seats, but it's better than nothing. Let me know.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Slappy wrote:Nice post rgdeuce and I agree with some of it.

The coaches you list Jackson and Wooden let the players be free within their systems to run the show. Listen to Bill Walton gush about Wooden and the freedom he gave his players, and the results obviously speak for themselves.

There are just too many big game letdowns. Others have the same remarks about Miller's style. 97cats blames the lack of a real PG, but we were just fine in the regular season, and PAC12 tourney, we dominated the team with a generational "good" PG.

His talent is not the issue, he needs to let go, you don't lose this many close big tourney games, unless your culture is wrong. It's good enough to get there, but he just needs a change, we need our players playing like Oregon vs Michigan, loose, free, fearless.
Saying Miller needs to stop micromanaging or saying he needs to give the players more freedom to "run the show" is like asking someone to change their personality. It's like telling your OCD neat freak Grandma to quit worrying about the carpet. It is a nice thought, but a complete waste of time. I personally think Miller is a good coach because of his attention to the details.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PJC-Good enough to beat two teams still alive in the tournament, win a conference regular season title, a PAC-12 tournament title and almost beat a hot Xavier team when the entire team and coached performed pitifully but not good enough for D1 per 97? Dont get it at all
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Dave wrote:
Saying Miller needs to stop micromanaging or saying he needs to give the players more freedom to "run the show" is like asking someone to change their personality. It's like telling your OCD neat freak Grandma to quit worrying about the carpet. It is a nice thought, but a complete waste of time. I personally think Miller is a good coach because of his attention to the details.
He needs to make some compromise and adjustments and I believe he will. He owns the fact the team lacked confidence, that's on his leadership.

Kenpom has us possibly a preseason 2 next year. We get to do this all over again, the talent will be there.
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

PHXCATS wrote:PJC-Good enough to beat two teams still alive in the tournament, win a conference regular season title, a PAC-12 tournament title and almost beat a hot Xavier team when the entire team and coached performed pitifully but not good enough for D1 per 97? Dont get it at all
Because it is just untrue. Our talent was final 4 talent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave wrote:
Slappy wrote:Nice post rgdeuce and I agree with some of it.

Everyone would love it if Miller was more hands off and let players do what they wanted. Until we lost a game. Then, it would be the complaints you hear about Steve Alford. "He just rolls the ball out there." "They need discipline."

Heck, people are complaining about Trier and hero ball right now. Exactly how would that go if Miller was looser and let Trier run free.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Agree SS, he needs to keep his same level of everything that he has now just work on zones more and save time outs

First TO-Called with 4:17 left in first half, 17 seconds to a TV Time Out (use it or lose it)
Second TO-Called with 15:22 left in second half, next dead ball is a TV Timeout
Third TO-Called with 7:37 left in second half, next dead ball is a TV Timeout
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Heck, people are complaining about Trier and hero ball right now. Exactly how would that go if Miller was looser and let Trier run free.
We would be in Phoenix. He has been a coach since 2004, enough is enough.

He is a brilliant technician and will always recruit at the highest level, top 5 stuff. Once he adjusts, he will be scary good - multiple final 4s.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:PJC-Good enough to beat two teams still alive in the tournament, win a conference regular season title, a PAC-12 tournament title and almost beat a hot Xavier team when the entire team and coached performed pitifully but not good enough for D1 per 97? Dont get it at all
If you really think we did all that because of PJC or he was the deciding factor in those games you really aren't paying attention. So are the people who list him at 5'10"

Give freshman Barcello 14 mins a game next season and he has a chance to put up better stats than junior PJC did with 24mpg, save for the A/TO ratio
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:
If you really think we did all that because of PJC or he was the deciding factor in those games you really aren't paying attention. So are the people who list him at 5'10"

Give freshman Barcello 14 mins a game next season and he has a chance to put up better stats than junior PJC did with 24mpg, save for the A/TO ratio
Um yeah I do think PJC played a big role in it. Played ton of minutes, 4 dimes per, 42% from behind the arc. I do think he did well and was a good player and big factor in the games this year
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Its easy to look good when you're surrounded by McD's All American and future pro's
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Its easy to look good when you're surrounded by McD's All American and future pro's
So what plays did PJC make or not make that caused Arizona to lose yesterday?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Slappy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We would be in Phoenix. He has been a coach since 2004, enough is enough.

He is a brilliant technician and will always recruit at the highest level, top 5 stuff. Once he adjusts, he will be scary good - multiple final 4s.
Nah. That's a grass is greener argument.

Allonzo, Kobi and Ristic have natural tendencies to be ball stoppers who do a ton of 1 on 1. PJC is the only player on the roster who is sort of a distributor and even he has significant limits.

When you go hands off, players express their natural tendencies. This team has a lot of natural tendencies towards 1 on 1 play. You think we have trouble vs a 2-3 now, try when we send out a loosely organized group of guys to try to go 1 on 1 at a zone.

Further, a coach can succeed in a hands off style when he has a coach on the floor, a la Alford and Lonzo Ball. I would argue we had zero coaches on the floor this year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:So what plays did PJC make or not make that caused Arizona to lose yesterday?
Its not about yesterday at all, we've been watching him for 3 years. Is there a D1 point guard anywhere in the country that plays as much as him and puts up these numbers?

FR 2pts 1ast
SO 5pts 3ast
JR 5pts 4ast

He makes Jordin Mayes look good

This is the Sean Miller thread btw..
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Im gonna have to step in here and defend Parker a bit. Dude has his faults, he is what it is, but he is one of the last guys we should be blaming for last nights loss. Dude hit like 70 percent of his threes after an ankle injjury and another rough start. There were several big games he won for us and ge was a key component in plenty more. This dude could have quit last year and this year and didnt give up in either. He also could have transferred like others when a monster class came in and he didnt.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

What if: Laurie told Sean he would "stay another year. IF, we play more [this way]. How do you think that conversation would go?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

psiclist23 wrote:What if: Laurie told Sean he would "stay another year. IF, we play more [this way]. How do you think that conversation would go?
Id hope Miller would listen and agree to try it. Lauri is the furthest from a crazy inmate who is trying to run the asylum. I personally think Miller could do a better job with tailoring his offense to the pieces he has on a given team. Lets face it, Lauri is the type of talent people build offenses around, at the college level at minimum.

And im not nearly as hard on PJC as some here and i have defended him quite a bit. But I mostly agree w 97. We may have not only gotten by, but had an excellent regular season w our PG situation. But March is an entirely different beast, u cant simply compare even oregon and ucla games to it. We know those teams, there is faniliarity and we know exactly what to expect for the most part. Teams in the tournament, you dont and u dont have that comfort level. You need more flexibility and someone who has talent and size to overcome the vast variety of looks u will see over six games, or a team u scouted for a few games
That throws u a curveball. Where i disagree w 97 is i still think this team had a shot to go further, but at best, it makes it so much harder.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I'm w u deuce.

PJC can't carry us to a final 4, but he can get us there if u surround him w a lot of pieces and he stays healthy.

It's very likely he gets a chance to prove it next year. Unless Miller pulls off a coup w Duval.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:I'm w u deuce.

PJC can't carry us to a final 4, but he can get us there if u surround him w a lot of pieces and he stays healthy.

It's very likely he gets a chance to prove it next year. Unless Miller pulls off a coup w Duval.
I'm not sure it's an overstatement to say Arizona would make it despite him. You play 5 guys at PJC's level, you don't make the Final Four. You play 4 guys above PJC's level, he could perform well enough to not derail that.

I like him as a rotation guy off the bench as a senior next year. Ask him to be more than that and...
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

I think I did well by staying off this board for a few days since the loss. I knew some people would go apeshit! It was a shitty loss but Miller WILL get us to the final four.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:I'm w u deuce.

I'm not sure it's an overstatement to say Arizona would make it despite him. You play 5 guys at PJC's level, you don't make the Final Four. You play 4 guys above PJC's level, he could perform well enough to not derail that.

I like him as a rotation guy off the bench as a senior next year. Ask him to be more than that and...
I'm scared he's a 30 minute per game guy next year if we don't add an alternative.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

SirClinks wrote:I think I did well by staying off this board for a few days since the loss. I knew some people would go apeshit! It was a shitty loss but Miller WILL get us to the final four.
absolutely- it's not matter of if he gets to the FF and beyond, but when!

Let's see: five or six more years of consecutive Top 5 classes should probably get him to that final four. then give another 10 years to make the title game and another 10 to actually win the title....

We could be celebrating a title as soon as 2043! F*** YEAH!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You obviously think there a problem, RandF. So what's your solution? Don't just come here and whine like a little bitch.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

SirClinks wrote:I think I did well by staying off this board for a few days since the loss. I knew some people would go apeshit! It was a shitty loss but Miller WILL get us to the final four.

8-)
Me too...stayed off till the dust settles.

Ditto to this!
Miller WILL get us to the final four
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:You obviously think there a problem, RandF. So what's your solution? Don't just come here and whine like a little bitch.
Whining like a little bitch is his entire persona. Without bitchy crying he'd literally have no reason for existing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Did anyone expect Altman at oregon, or Few at gonzaga, to beat Miller at Arizona to a FF?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: